Must Read Articles:
PancreatitisPancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas, and the condition has two types, chronic and acute. Learn about causes, symptoms, and treatment.
AddictionAddiction is possible whenever ingesting a substance causes the basic pleasure and reward circuits in the brain to activate. Addiction is an illness that requires treatment, because people with addictions cannot stop on their own. Symptoms of addiction include a person's inability to stop using the substance, devoting a lot of time and effort toward obtaining, using, and recovering from the substance's effects, discontinuing important social, employment, and recreational activities due to preoccupation with the substance, developing tolerance for the substance, and developing withdrawal symptoms.
Alcohol IntoxicationAlcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic term for ethanol. A person who is intoxicated with alcohol they may have euphoria, poor coordination and movement, poor judgment, memory loss, slurred speech, confusion, and even coma and death if the person consumed enough alcohol. Gender, coexisiting medical conditions, and medications may have an effect on the level of alcohol intoxication a person experiences.
CirrhosisCirrhosis of the liver is progressive and chronic scarring of the liver, caused by hepatitis infection, alcoholism, or other factors. Learn about symptoms and life expectancy.
Liver BiopsyLiver biopsy involves the removal of a small piece of tissue from the liver. Reasons for liver biopsy is to diagnose disease, monitor disease, and monitor the effectiveness of therapy. Risk of liver biopsy include hematoma, bleeding, striking another organ, and tumor tracking. Types of liver biopsy include percutaneous, transjugular, and intraoperative liver biopsy.
Substance AbusePeople abuse substances such as drugs, alcohol, and tobacco for varied and complicated reasons, but it is clear that our society pays a significant cost. Symptoms and signs of substance abuse include forgetfulness, frequent hangovers, having blackouts, and getting into trouble with the law. Treatment typically involves counseling and prescription medications to control withdrawal symptoms and drug cravings.
Supraventricular TachycardiaSupraventricular tachycardia (SVT, PSVT) is a type of heart rhythm disorder in which the heart beats faster than normal. Learn about symptoms, causes, and treatment.
Expert Views and News
- Alcohol Ups Risk for Atrial Fibrillation Episode
- Obesity Amplifies Harmful Effects of Alcohol
- Alcohol Consumption Linked to Reduced Cataracts
- Should Alcoholic Drinks Have Calorie Labels
- From Cradle to Grave, Alcohol Is Bad for the Brain
- Toxic Methanol in Hand Sanitizers Poisonings
- Panic, Abuse, Addiction: COVID-19 Mental Health
- Half of US Cancer Survivors Drink Alcohol
- Giving Up Alcohol Boosts Mental Health in Women
- Alcohol Problems Grow as Booze Gets a Bigger Kick
- Diabetes Link to Increased Suicide, Alcohol-Abuse
- Blood Pressure Drug May Curb Problem Drinking
- Alcohol Use When Breastfeeding Reduces Cognition
- Different Alcohol Types Trigger Specific Emotions
- Moderate Alcohol Consumption May Harm the Brain
- Exercise May Cut Alcohol Health Risks
- Should You Stop Drinking?
- Male and Female Alcohol Drinking Patterns
- One in 10 Pregnant Women Drinks Alcohol
- New Medication for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Palcohol: Risky for Teens and People in Recovery?
- FDA Warns of Seizure, Alcohol Risk With Chantix
- Many Seniors Toast to Retirement Too Often
- Alcohol Poisoning Kills 6 People in US Each Day
- Link From Muscle Weakness and Alcoholism
- Strategies Help Reduce Underage Drinking
- Chantix May Treat Alcohol Dependence and Abuse
- Parents Can Influence Teens Drug Use
- Teen Drinking and Driving Down, CDC Says
- Chinese Herb Kudzu May Help Drinkers Cut Down
- Light Drinking Over Time May Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- As Economy Goes Down, Drinking Goes Up
- Drunk Driving: 4 Million in U.S. Admit to It
- Drinking Is on the Rise Among U.S. Women
- Genes Play Role in How Alcohol Affects Men and Women
- Binge Drinking May Affect Memory of Teens
- Alcohol at Bedtime May Not Help Your Sleep
Alcoholism Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes:
Alcoholism Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Acamprosate is used to help maintain sobriety in alcohol-dependent adults who no longer drink alcohol. This medicine is used with behavioral therapy or couns...learn more »
Naltrexone blocks the effects of opioid medication, including pain relief or feelings of well-being that can lead to opioid abuse...learn more »