Viewer Comments: Allergic Reaction - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Allergic Reaction:

Allergic Reaction - Experience

Please describe your experience with an allergic reaction.

Comment from: Teebag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I wasn't feeling well 2 nights ago. Hubby bought a pack of Decolgen, I took 1 and went to bed. I got up at 4.30 am the next day and wasn't feeling well, took 1 tablet of the Decolgen. In the meantime, the skin on my back of my thigh felt itchy. I used moisturizer as I thought it was due to dry skin. Later in the morning I noticed rashes all over my legs, hands and body. I saw the doctor yesterday morning and said that if it is due to allergy it should subside within 24 hours. Last night, the sole of my left foot swelled and my hands and body joints got very stiff and painful, especially the left side of the body. This morning swelling of the sole has gone off but stiffness and pain whilst walking is still there. I am resting now and trying to drink a lot of liquid (flush out the medicine). Hopefully, I will be ok by tonight!

Comment from: Sneezy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have allergies, sneezing, itchy eyes, etc., but I also have a severe allergic reaction to something that occurs in the fall. The most recent attack began with hives around my eyes. Later I began to feel dizzy and ran into a few things in the house. That was followed by severe dizziness and feelings of vertigo. Next I began to sweat profusely and asked my daughter to help me to the bathroom. I was nauseated and my bowels evacuated involuntarily. I was still dizzy, but felt better after bowel movement. My daughter left, but about 5:00 am the next morning, all of the symptoms were back and I was scared. I had my phone and was able to call my neighbor who called an ambulance. My neighbor told them it was anaphylactic shock. When EMTs (emergency medical technicians) arrived, they said they had never heard of my symptoms as part of anaphylactic shock and when I got to the emergency room, they said the same thing and gave me a prescription for anti-nausea medicine and an anti-dizziness prescription. What did I say wrong!

Comment from: jvillegrl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I develop pus filled bumps on my fingers usually, and when it is really bad the bumps will form on my toes, hands, and feet. No pain in the area, it just itches sometimes. It happens when I drink certain juices, and not every time. I saw a doctor regarding the situation and she stated it was allergies.

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had two endoscopic back surgeries for herniated disc in 2003 and 2005. Ever since I have had what I call freezing cold sweats. I am freezing from the inside out then all of a sudden I am soaking wet from my lower back to my head. I don't understand what brings them on or why this is happening. They can be very painful with the burning and stinging on my whole back and my lips will start to sting. I have been everywhere trying to figure this out but no one knows what is happening. Thought it might be menopause, but that was ruled out. It is going on 12 years now and it prevents me from going out or doing anything. I am only 59 and way too young. Sometimes the freezing cold is so painful that I don't want to live like this.

Comment from: emedicinehealth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I got an allergic rash on my stomach and chest, under my armpits and my hands also, the areas were red and itchy. In the end I went to emergency. They gave steroids to take once a day, and I'm taking Benadryl to help stop the itch. The following morning I looked at the areas and it's a lot better. I also am using anti-itch cream which helped especially with my hands which were very itchy.

Comment from: Sabrina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I took an antiepileptic drug for two months and it reacted with my body. I had red rashes, hives, severe itching, eye problems, a swelled body, and liver failure. I was admitted in the hospital and stayed for a month. My liver is alright now and the rashes have gone. However, the itching has not gone. Three months have passed.

Comment from: kyle p., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I have rash on my face, running nose, itching ears, and sneezing.

Comment from: pinkdenny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have swollen eyes that I can barely see out of and they are very itchy and sore, due to an allergic reaction.

Must Read Articles Related to Allergic Reaction

Allergy Shots
Allergy Shots Allergy shots, or immunotherapy, is recommended for severe allergy sufferers. Typically, immunotherapy consists of a three- to five-year course of allergy shots...learn more >>
Allergy: Insect Sting
Allergy: Insect Sting Several insects belonging to the class Hymenoptera are capable of injecting venom into humans and animals. These insects include:
  • honeybees,
  • ...
learn more >>
Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
Allergy: Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac can causes an learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Allergic Reaction:

Allergic Reaction - Drug Allergy

Have you ever had an allergic reaction to a drug?

Allergic Reaction - Testing

Did you have testing to confirm which substances cause your allergic reactions?

Allergic Reaction - Home Remedies

Have any home remedies been effective for your allergic reaction(s)?

Allergic Reaction - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your allergic reaction?

Allergic Reaction - Treatment

What was the treatment for your allergic reaction?