Viewer Comments: Allergic Reaction - Drug Allergy

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Allergic Reaction:

Allergic Reaction - Drug Allergy

Have you ever had an allergic reaction to a drug?

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

I decided to extract all my top teeth, and I only had 9 left. After 5 days my mouth was still paining and swollen and I went back to the dentist. He gave me a prescription of tablets and mouthwash which I could get at any pharmacy, but at the same time he asked me if I was allergic to penicillin and I replied no. I went to the pharmacy and got the stuff. I started with the tablets immediately because my mouth was very sore. After 2 to 3 days I could feel that my mouth was much better but the 4th day I started to get this reddish skin color. My face got swollen as did my lips. I started to get big bumps on my body, so I went to the doctor and I was told that I'm allergic to penicillin which I did not know and they gave me prednisone. I went back to the pharmacy to tell then that I still have these bumps on my whole body and the reddishness of skin. I had to buy Allerway 5 which only helped when I drank it. It has been 5 weeks and I still have this skin rash, and it just getting worse. I don't know what to use anymore.

Comment from: Sheba, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am now allergic to every pain medication. I have different allergic reactions to each one; throat closing, blisters, rash, nausea, muscle soreness/weakness, etc. I worry that someday I might need a pain medication in case of surgery, etc. I also have difficulty with some antibiotics and anti-viral medicines. I am also now lactose intolerant, and have just developed IBS (irritable bowel syndrome. I have not had any of these issues until the past year or two.

Comment from: Concerned, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 25

My husband had an allergic reaction to almost all antibiotics after having surgery, a lot of steroids were given. His feet and stomach are very swollen, and it's been ten days since he has been home. I don't know how long it will take for the swelling to go down.

Must Read Articles Related to Allergic Reaction

Allergy Shots
Allergy Shots Allergy shots, or immunotherapy, is recommended for severe allergy sufferers. Typically, immunotherapy consists of a three- to five-year course of allergy shots...learn more >>
Allergy: Insect Sting
Allergy: Insect Sting Several insects belonging to the class Hymenoptera are capable of injecting venom into humans and animals. These insects include:
  • honeybees,
  • ...
learn more >>
Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
Allergy: Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac can causes an learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Allergic Reaction:

Allergic Reaction - Testing

Did you have testing to confirm which substances cause your allergic reactions?

Allergic Reaction - Experience

Please describe your experience with an allergic reaction.

Allergic Reaction - Home Remedies

Have any home remedies been effective for your allergic reaction(s)?

Allergic Reaction - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your allergic reaction?

Allergic Reaction - Treatment

What was the treatment for your allergic reaction?