Allergic Reaction

What were the symptoms and signs of your allergic reaction? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: satinstitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I woke up one morning with swollen lips, itchy lips. I thought it was a new face cream I was trying. Now I'm quite sure it was caused by a new tortilla wrap I've been eating, Xtreme Wellness by Ole Mexican foods, the spinach and herbs flavor. It has taken a few days to figure this out but now it makes the most sense. I look like I have duck lips and they are swollen, itchy around the outer edge and they burn. I'm trying to find a natural source of relief. I often have a reaction to the stuff prescribed for relief. Anyone else who has contact dermatitis, stay away from these tortillas. They are delicious but nothing is worth what I'm going through now.

Published: April 18

I had a very swollen face and neck, dizziness, fainting feeling. I was given steroids at the hospital.

Comment from: Brooke, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

When I am having an allergic reaction to something, I get hives around my eyes. This causes my eyes to be very itchy and irritated.

Comment from: dopey, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

When I went to bed I was fine. I woke up my tongue was swollen could not breathe could not close my mouth. i was asleep about six hours.

Comment from: Pat50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got a vaccination for yellow fever. They wanted me to wait one hour but I was in a hurry so begged to leave after 45 minutes. Luckily a friend was driving; she dropped me off at the corner; I had a half block to walk to get home. Suddenly I felt odd; like I was walking on soft marshmallows, as if I had to lift my legs very high and walk very slowly; I had the odd sensation of being drunk, without having had any alcohol at all to drink. I looked down at my watch. My entire arm, shoulder to fingertips was incredibly swollen, held in at the wrist only by my metal watchband. I struggled to keep alert to get home; I made it, but do not remember much of anything else for some time.

Comment from: Charmlew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was trimming our sego palms today. Even with long sleeves and gloves on, the palm fronds kept poking my arms. I have a really bad rash on my arms and it is very warm to the touch. I am taking Benadryl and using aloe vera gel to reduce the temperature and soothe the itching.

Comment from: harjo15, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I recently had a severe reaction while eating shrimp. I am 61 years old and have eaten shrimp and other shell fish for most of my life and never had a problem. This time my throat closed up within minutes of eating one shrimp. Since then I cannot even eat food that has touched shrimp or even smell it and I start to feel hot and tingling and have trouble breathing. I didn't know these allergies could happen so suddenly.

Published: December 13

I have a bright red circle on my thigh that is perfectly round. The center of the circle is a smaller circle that is darker in color. The spot is itchy and hot to the touch. The doctor is treating it as an allergic reaction.

Comment from: Jenny J, 65-74 Female Published: November 10

Lower facial and lip swelling for over 24 hours. My face was extremely itchy. There are small white patches inside my mouth. This swelling occurs every few weeks but in the last month it has occurred 3 times with increasingly severe symptoms.

Comment from: ejn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

My lips get small blister-like bumps. They do not come to a head or weep. The little blisters are just there, causing my lips to swell and burn. Anti-biotic salve and anti-histamines do not have any affect. I would really like to know the cause.

Comment from: Furby, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My husband had 5 allergic reactions for the last month. He had taken some blood tests (food allergens) but it gave back negative. The allergen count is 344. We don't know what he can eat or not. We are so afraid that it can get worse.

Comment from: Recovering, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I got up feeling fine went to wash up and as I brushed my teeth I noticed my lips look swollen, my face and neck puffy and my eyes were red.(I actually looked weird) I figured something was happening so I sat on the bed and that's when I felt nauseated and vomited. I called my husband to call 911. My blood pressure was really low, I also had diarrhea. At the hospital I had severe stomach pains. I spent three days in ICU. My blood pressure went up to normal after the second day.

Comment from: Henrietta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Had a little Botox in forehead and a little Dysport-filler in face, a day later had eyebrows tattooed as I have none. Next day and now three weeks later, I look like a monster. I have red swollen, itchy, dry, eyes. AND eyebrow tattoos (ink) 99.9% gone. I was on vacation the first 2 weeks with sunglasses and thought each day it was improving, once I got back home, each day fools me and then gets worse. I look like a MONSTER.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

The ER docs think I had an allergic reaction to some clam chowder I had eaten for lunch. I've been eating shell fish my whole life so was a bit surprised. Within minutes I got itchy all over my body, tingling on my head, my throat started closing up and my eyes and skin were beet red. I was driving when this happened. I'm lucky I didn't have far to go, because I felt a dimming in my head, like I was going to pass out. I picked my daughter up and she drove me to the emergency room. They gave me Benadryl and Prednisone and monitored me for a while because my blood pressure was really low. If this happens to anyone else, GET HELP FAST!

Comment from: cautious mom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 18

My daughter is allergic to mangos. She develops a fine sandpaper-like rash all over her body and the palms of her hands and soles of her feet turn blood red and itch terribly. Benadryl and a steroid dose pack help. She also has to use steroid cream on her feet and hands.

Comment from: sugar and spice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have an allergic reaction to my poinsettia plants. When I watered them, apparently I touched the leaves. The backs of my hands are all broke out in red spots and blisters. This is the 5th day and it is getting better in some of the spots and worse in some of the spots. I have been taking benadryl and putting hydrocortizone on them. I have never had a reaction to them before. I will never touch them again.

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

My top lip swelled and my blood pressure dropped. I spent three days in the hospital. This never happened before. I ate Christmas dinner and some pistachios later that night.

Comment from: skoshibeth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I took Fluconazole for a yeast infection. Within two hours my lips began tingling/stinging and became very swollen. The next day I had red spots on several parts of my body.

Comment from: Itchy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 09

My husband has been having severe rashes over most of his body. The dermatologist took a biopsy and is sure it is allergic reaction to his drugs. He has high blood pressure and has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He was on Atorvastatin and they thought that was causing the problem with the original diabetes drugs. He has been off of the Atorvastatin for a month and things were looking better. This week they have become worse.

Comment from: allergic?, 19-24 Female Published: April 05

With my allergic reaction, I had an all-over rash. It was very irritating and it was on and off after taking allergy medication and a steroid. I have a new couch and carpet and I wonder if either one of these could be the culprit.

Comment from: JJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Rash on both forearms, neck, chin area, inner legs. Felt swollen in throat and thirsty. Started three days ago and the areas spread.

Comment from: ce4863078, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Symptoms of my allergic reaction include itching from hands to all over body, rash, tightness in chest, abdominal pain red eyes with red ring around pupils.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was spraying my rose bushes for fungus. I was using the spray that you connect with the hose. I guess the aerosol affect is what caused my reaction. I was on the 2nd rose bush when my eyes and nose started watering. I thought it was just the seasonal allergy stuff. By the 4th bush my throat started to swell and I knew something was really wrong, then I got dizzy and faint, barley made it back into my house. Called my husband and washed my arms and face off. Luckily the symptoms went away as quick as they started. It was pretty scary because I was home alone at the time.

Comment from: HG, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I felt hot flashes while my skin became red all over my body and then broke into hives. I have never been allergic to anything before.

Comment from: gigiconnie34, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had just started Metformin that day. In the evening I suddenly developed chills, shaking, SOB and wheezing. My physician instructed me to call 911 and go to the ER. I did. In the ambulance I had oxygen and an albuterol breathing treatment. At the hospital I had a temp, elevated white count of 1,300 + and my chest x-ray was clear. I was given an IV infusion od Levaquin. By early morning everything was back to normal, including an AP and Lat chest x-ray. I never had a cough or any other symptoms of pneumonia. I still think it was an allergic response to the Metformin.

Comment from: turtlegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

While eating at a local rest stop, I had only taken a few bites of sweet potato fries with a special sauce when the left side of my neck just below the jaw started to swell with a large lump. I began to get red splotches and itchy. I know that I am allergic to peanuts and nuts, but was assured there were none in the food I ordered. You just never know what will cause a reaction when you have food allergies.

Comment from: Itchy-Girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have no idea what caused my allergic reaction. I have a raised rash all over now. Started under my armpits and underwear line and then it spread everywhere! It's the 3rd day and it still feels horrible! It's hard to work and people are looking at me like. Quasimodo. Yesterday my eye swelled up and the doctor gave me a shot, loratamine and some crazy cream that actually takes it away (but it burns when it's on). I'll write back when it's gone.

Comment from: Liquid Wolf, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

Something in shrimp causes my allergies. Lobster, crab, and other shellfish are alright, but when I eat shrimp I break-out in hives and get somewhat light-headed. Here is the kicker - I can clean and de-shell my own shrimp... thoroughly... and I don't have a problem.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

Extremely itchy feet, and a rash all over my body. I don't have a clue what triggered the reaction.

Comment from: ZeroPear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had a mild allergic reaction to an IVP dye more than 10 years ago. When an urgent CT scan was ordered for my emergent suspected TIA, I was given a similar contrast, not exact same one, intravenously. A severe reaction happened that involved whole body rash, difficult breathing, whole body convulsion, raised blood pressure, increased heart rate and inflammation of the throat. Was wondering if you would recommend another type of screening that does not involve contrast agent, or is the benefit of contrast-CT outweigh the risk of a possible anaphylactic shock? I understand that they could treat contrast allergies at hospitals and that the chance of developing an anaphylactic shock is very low. However, as a patient, I am looking for my options for my future reference.

Comment from: itchandinpain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Really itchy and red, can't stop itching and now it's sore and tender.

Comment from: Kber, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

Head neck and face turns bright and blotchy red. My skin is hot to touch also and slightly itchy.

Comment from: mary brown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I experienced muscle spasms on the allergist's table (during the 20-minute resting period) and I continue to have migratory muscle spasms.

• Allergic Reaction - Treatment

What was the treatment for your allergic reaction?

Post View 6 Comments
  • Allergic Reaction - Experience

Please describe your experience with an allergic reaction.

Post View 12 Comments
  • Allergic Reaction - Home Remedies

Have any home remedies been effective for your allergic reaction(s)?

Post
  • Allergic Reaction - Drug Allergy

Have you ever had an allergic reaction to a drug?

Post View 3 Comments
  • Allergic Reaction - Testing

Did you have testing to confirm which substances cause your allergic reactions?

Post View 1 Comment

"Allergy Facts and Figures." Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. <http://www.aafa.org/page/allergy-facts.aspx>.

Bielory, Leonard. "Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Allergic Rhinitis and Conjunctivitis." UptoDate.com. Mar. 2016. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/
complementary-and-alternative-therapies-for-allergic-rhinitis-and-conjunctivitis?source=search_result&search=allergies+
acupuncture&selectedTitle=
2~150#H15106287>.

"Death from Anaphylaxis Is a Reassuringly Unusual Outcome." Dec. 13, 2013. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. <https://www.aaaai.org/global/latest-research-summaries/Current-JACI-Research/death-anaphylaxis>.

"Eye Allergy." American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. <http://acaai.org/allergies/types/eye-allergies>.

Holloway, J.W., I.A. Yang, and S.T. Holgate. "Genetics of Allergic Disease." J Allergy Clin Immunol 125(2 Suppl 2) Feb. 2010: S81-94.

"Oral Allergy Syndrome." American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. <http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome>.

"Wheat Allergy." American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. <http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/wheat-gluten-allergy>.