Anal Itching (cont.)
What Are the Symptoms of Anal Itching?
- The most common symptom is itching especially at night and after a bowel movement.
- There may be a rash in the anal area with skin breakdown or a weeping discharge.
When Should I Go to the Doctor for Anal Itching?
- If the anal itching is associated with any type of rash, lump, discharge, bleeding, or fever, call your doctor. You may need prescription medicine to make the problem go away.
- If small children are having trouble sleeping at night because of intense itching, this could be a sign of pinworms and will require medical attention.
- It would be extremely rare that you would need to go to the hospital's emergency department for anal itching. Contact your doctor if you think you need medical help.
How Is Anal Itching Diagnosed?
Most cases of anal itching can be diagnosed by taking a history and doing a physical exam. If there appears to be an infection, your doctor may want to do cultures to determine what type of germ is causing the problem.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/15/2017