Anemia

What treatment has been effective for your anemia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Follow Jesus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was so diligent for two years - taking my iron, eating liver and other high iron foods for treating my anemia. I could not get my ferritin up. I felt hopeless. One thing I had repeatedly read came to my mind: some people with gluten sensitivity have trouble absorbing iron. I never knew myself to have gluten sensitivity so I had ignored those words but ten months ago, in desperation decided to give it a try. Almost instantly, I improved. It was like night and day. Life is great!

Comment from: Rusticgal4evr, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I found out a few weeks ago that I have melanoma cancer. The cancer made me anemic. No one checked my mole to find out if it was cancerous. It was accidentally found. I thought I had the stomach flu. But I had brain cancer. It's been a month now and the cancer is still eating my iron. It's been rough. Be aggressive with your health and the doctors. Don’t give in and just chuck it off. If something is wrong, then have it checked out. Ask a load of questions and don’t settle for weak answers.

Comment from: Bilquis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was chewing ice and eating coffee beans with vigor! Neither of these had ever been part of my life before. I have fibromyalgia, therefore I am tired, achy and just shy of miserable many days. I went to see my doctor for an annual exam. I had bloodwork done which revealed iron deficiency anemia. I took Ferrofood 2 or 3 capsules a day. In spite of very heavy periods continuing, I was retested 4 months later and my iron levels were normal.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am hopeful this helps others. For approximately 2 years I would have visits to my doctor and literally drag myself into his office complaining of the need for some energy; perhaps more thyroid. In retrospect I looked weak and colorless. He said I must be depressed and in need of antidepressants. I said no to this. Upshot of actually sleeping 2 years, dizziness and major fatigue I was having a heart test and went into atrial fibrillation. Immediately the team had me see a cardiologist who saved my life, and next day after blood test the most common test finally was done; this is a CBC [but I was so ill I didn't even know what a dizzy spell was, all I could think of was a swoon]. My hemoglobin that next day was 6, dangerously low. I was told to get to the emergency room where I spent 10 to 12 hours receiving 2 back to back blood transfusions and realized I was going to live! It is difficult to step up the plate to determine how to handle these medical issues when one is so ill. Then I had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy at the same time with biopsy and no one was able to discern the cause of my anemia. I am still investigating, I would like to know if my extremely low hemoglobin laid the foundation for atrial fibrillation. I am doing well though not jumping rope and was lucky to meet that wonderful cardiologist!

Comment from: Anon. 1111, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was extremely tired, achy to the state where I couldn't even leave the bed to go and eat, or work or anything. I managed to get to the doctors when I was having a good day and they did tests for anemia, diabetes, thyroid issues, etc. I then was told to go in for a full blood test, and they found that my folic acid was really low. I have been on tablets for a month or two now, and although I can move from my bed and have been able to go to work a bit, etc., it still doesn't seem to be sorted. I have been trying to eat a balanced diet but it can be difficult due to working hours.

Comment from: oldrnma94mom88, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have so many health issues: spinal surgeries, fibromyalgia, hysterectomy 20 years ago for very severe bleeding, adrenal failure and now on prednisone for life, diabetes (off insulin). I had a nosebleed that was from the arteries in my nose for 9 hours! I lost half my blood. I got 4 transfusions for anemia that time. I have had iron deficiency for years, need iron infusions which always make me very sick. My last lab tests were all critical again; hematologist time! Just exhausted, with pain, headaches, mouth sores, and eczema.

Comment from: Tanscha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had severe anemia due to heavy menses (12 days per cycle) and fibroids. I had low energy and a variety of heart problems, incl. murmurs. Couldn't focus well at work and it felt like my brain was working slower, Shortness of breath just from walking up the stairs. Lived in remote area and got 1 liter of fluids (intravenous) at the Nursing Station, when I was bleeding heavily. This made me instantly feel good. Iron count was down to 2. I took high quality, high dose iron for 2 years and treated my bleeding with a natural health product called SLOW FLOW which reduced my periods to 3 or 4 days of moderate bleeding. I refused blood transfusions and did not have surgery, instead I have a yearly ultrasound to monitor fibroids, which are shrinking constantly (I am almost 50 and hope to enter menopause soon, which will put an end my anemia).

Comment from: Emily, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I can't wait until I see my internist Friday. I have told her all along that I was anemic - a blood test was performed which agreed. I too am eating ice like a crazy woman, but the worst thing I am undergoing is hurting all over my body. It is an effort to stand up and straighten my body and take steps. All of my muscles feel like they are contracting. My sleep pattern has been terrible, and my tongue is sore as sandpaper. I am 76 and pray that there are no underlying conditions which caused my red blood cells to go south

QUESTION

Sickle cell disease is named after a farming tool. See Answer
Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

The only thing that has helped me for the past four years are Procrit shots. I must have a blood transfusion every five weeks. I have had seven bone marrow biopsies and no one can still tell me what is causing this condition.

Comment from: Sam, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I have low red blood cell count. According to my doctor they die three months before their time. The Odd thing is that I am not anemic and my hematologist does not know the reason their dying. My symptoms are fatigue and irritability. According to him my bone marrow is able to keep with the demand.

Comment from: Nelia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have been feeling series of headaches and pain killers couldn't keep away for long. I feel dizzy most times .I crave for chilled water a lot, sleepless nights, swollen feet, lots of body pains, loss of appetite and if I stare for too long will have triple vision. I went for check-up only to be diagnosed with anemia.

Comment from: Anita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was diagnosed with anemia last year after having blood work and my doctor became concerned about my blood count was 9.9. It apparently has been going on for at least the last four or five years because I have been chewing ice. I have been having very heavy periods for several years now. I am now 50 and the periods have slowed down some. I thought things were getting better because I had skipped a period for 2 month, and they hadn't been heavy in at least six months. My ice craving had basically disappeared and my counts were up to 12.Which is good for me. Then it came back with a vengeance! It was very heavy!

Comment from: chunkawunka, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have had two episodes of severe anemia so when the second one came around, I suspected what was happening. I had gastric bypass surgery over 12 years ago and I know that I was told that I should take B12 shots monthly. I have dizzy spells; I get terribly short of breath; my legs ache, and I cannot walk 10 feet without feeling like I will pass out. I've had iron infusions for the second time.

Comment from: justshawn, Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Symptoms: lethargy, severe itching (in my arms and legs) and shortness of breath. Liquid iron was my cure.

Comment from: Bluedog, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been diagnosed with anemia - low iron and hemoglobin. I am being tested for colon problems (tumor and polyps). I have been very tired, dizzy, headaches, burning tongue, sore legs, and some hair loss. The worst part is the craving for gravel. I thought I was going crazy. I am also being tested for folic acid levels as I am an epileptic and the medication may have something to do with it.

Comment from: justshawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Straight iron Liquid has helped me tremendously.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was feeling weak, and tired with dizzy spells and shortness of breath. I craved ice like my life depended on it! My mouth and eyes were dry, and I got sores on my tongue. My fingertips were numb and peeling with sores. My nails were splitting and growing in gnarled. My doctor did a CBC and called me to say I needed to immediately be admitted to the hospital as my Hgb was 4. I had 3 blood transfusions and a work up of tests. My anemia was from heavy menstrual bleeding combined with taking Acifex for GERD. It blocks oral iron absorption. My treatment is periodic IV iron infusions.

Comment from: dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I now for two months have been so fatigued and passing out. I'm so weak and I don't sleep. I can only walk short distances without feeling I'm going to pass out. I've lost 20lbs in just over one month which puts be down to 98lbs. I am irritable and I can't remember things. I have extremely low blood pressure, and no appetite. After many blood tests my doctors finally diagnosed anemia.

Comment from: Cassandra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My anemia has been treated by taking iron pills.

SLIDESHOW

Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: jv46, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 03

my sister is anemic and when she went into the hospital she was anemic but she had surgery to fix a fracture of the femur and has had to have 8 pints of blood they are giving her ultra sound of liver, kidneys, gallbladder, pancreas, does this indicate she has a more serious problem than just the sugery. they say she didnt bleed hardly after the surgery, so what does this indicate?

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I became very tired and unable to walk short distances. I was always cold. My arms and legs were very weak. I could barely breathe. Did not sleep well and I was exhausted all the time. I could not bend over without feeling like passing out. I thought it was my heart. Dr. did a complete blood count and my they said I was critical. I was put in the hospital and given a transfusion of 3 bags of blood. I’m still not good, but I’m better than I was. We don’t know the cause.

Comment from: LIZBETH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was recently hospitalized with severe anemia. I received three units of blood. The problem is that I was discharged without the doctors ever finding the cause. I’ve never had a history of anemia.

Comment from: Idmec, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I've had polio at 6 months and it left me physically disabled. Towards end of 2008 I felt 'needle-pins' sensations on the soles of my feet which rendered walking difficult. I also suffered fatigue and I fell more often. By December I was a physical wreck and I suspected 'full blown'. A medical check-up revealed no HIV, but severe anemia, instead. Medication and a balanced diet achieved miracles for me.

Comment from: L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia 6 weeks ago. I was feeling tired. I couldn’t walk long distances without my legs feeling tired, doctor took blood tests and hence the result.

Comment from: Miafia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I went to my GP because I thought I had some kind of mental disease or dementia. A routine blood test showed I am anemic, followed by a blood test to check my iron stores. I'm waiting on the results of the latter before I start treatment. It's such a relief to finally get a reason for my symptoms. My GP told me that anemia causes the extreme tiredness I was feeling plus it explained my apparent cognitive impairment.

Comment from: Chrissy C, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was anemic due to heavy blood loss from menses. Taking back to back birth control pills to eliminate periods entirely has brought up my iron levels.

Comment from: stee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I went for a blood test and was told that my blood count was lower than normal. I was surprised as I really don’t have any real sign that would suggest I am anemic but my nails cracks in few places though and realized too that I get drowsy only when I am hungry. I have gastric problem and I thought it might be an issue that causes it. I am 62 years old and I am not taking chances. I am taking daily doses of iron tablets and due back for review in 2 weeks.

Comment from: la6ph, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 27

For my anemia I take iron pills, had a blood transfusion and now a shot once a month

Comment from: Leo456, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I also experienced tiredness, severe headaches, dry mouth, body aches and get very irritable. Throat very dry and cough alot. Nose very dry. I was told I suffer from low blood pressure. I eat spinach,take supplements and even eat half raw liver. Even get Vit B12 injections. Not getting or feeling any better.

Comment from: tired all the time, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I went for a physical and was told my blood level was 7. I refused transfusion and started iron infusions. I craved ice; knees that ache kept me awake at night. I was diagnosed with eczema, and had bells palsy all related to being anemic. I still feel tired not enough energy. I have 2 more treatments to go. I hope to feel better soon.

Comment from: Diamond, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have to get iron infusions when I become anemic due to a history of colon cancer and colon resection...If I don't stay on top of my anemia, I may need to get blood transfusions too, not often but on occasion I do.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with chronic anemia a week ago after a long period of sickness including severe headaches, tired all of the time, sore muscles, blurred vision, dizziness, tingling hands feet and arms, easy bruising, and heart palpitations. This Chronic anemia was brought on by severe heavy loss of blood menstrualy. Over the past 17 years I have been going to doctors and telling them my bleeding is out of control and their answer was "some women go through this and it is normal". Now I am being tested for Uterus Cancer.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW