Appendicitis

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mary , 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 03

My 15 year old daughter started to experience pain in her lower right abdomen. The pain was getting worse over the course of a couple of days, so after a week we took her to the emergency room. The doctors said they were not sure if it was appendicitis or not so we went home and just waited. Nearly a week later the pain still had not gone or gotten any better so we went to a specialist who confirmed it was acute appendicitis caused by trapped feces putting pressure on the appendix. It wasn’t severe, and no operation was needed.

Comment from: Cavoodlemumma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

About 10 am one morning I started to feel a tightening, slightly burning sensation, right across my stomach above my belly button. I thought my pants were too tight. By 1 pm the nausea kicked in. By 3 pm I became clammy and felt feverish. The pain left my upper abdomen and started to become severe in my lower right side. I had no appetite all day. By 9 pm I went to the hospital, diagnosed with appendicitis and had surgery the next morning to remove the appendix which was close to bursting.

Comment from: Sim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My appendicitis symptoms started at work while I was showing a new laborer how to shovel dirt. My pain was similar to the gas one, shifting all over the abdomen but mostly around the navel. I did not pay too much attention. Day two was worse; I had pain and cramps coming in scores, then a bit of rest. By end of day 3 pain dropped to level 4. I thought to check it and went to Accident and Emergency. Tests were confusing as was the pain. They sent me for a CT scan which revealed appendicitis. Appendectomy was three tiny holes and little pain, and I was OK in three days.

Comment from: Shorty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I started having burning pain around 6 pm on a Friday. Appetite was nonexistent. I thought I had a stomach bug, but it was different because I had no diarrhea. I wasn't able to sleep at all that night. By the next day, I was miserable. My whole belly was on fire and I was crying. I felt nauseous but no vomiting. I went to the emergency room on Saturday at 5:30 pm, was diagnosed with appendicitis and was in surgery by 9:30 that night.

Comment from: Nicola, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

For 9 days I had upper abdominal pain of 2 to 4, no nausea or vomiting, I continued my daily routine. Toward the end it was mild but I noticed right lower abdominal dull discomfort with one episode of severe nausea. A trip to the emergency room had the doctor decide it was gallbladder as my symptoms were inconsistent with appendicitis (no test). Two days later a CT scan resulted in an appendectomy. The pathology report shows a problem with the lining, not acute appendicitis. Get a CT scan and your pathology report.

Comment from: Karen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I awoke on November 8th, 2019 with a sharp pain at my belly button area, nausea and loss of appetite (I actually had been having nausea off and on for several months prior). Eventually the sharp pain migrated to my right lower quadrant. I also had pressure on my back as well. I went to Urgent Care. After Urgent Care evaluated me, they referred me to the emergency room (ER) based on my symptoms. A CT scan in the ER revealed appendicitis, a slightly enlarged appendix. I had appendectomy on 11/09/19.

Comment from: Jessica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Friday, while at work I started to get what I thought was cramps, around 12ish (lunch time); I suffer from extreme cramps. Time went on and I started to get cold, extremely cold and then felt warm. I left work 30 minutes early to catch the clinic open as they were closing at 7 pm. I went in, was sent home on ibuprofen and told to take a few days and follow up. It was diagnosed as a viral infection. On Sunday I checked in and was told it was appendicitis and my appendix had ruptured.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 10

I woke up on a Friday morning before 6 a.m. with pain in my stomach. I was in bed all day long with pain and no appetite. By Tuesday around 2 in the morning my pain had got so severe that I broke out in cold sweats, so my husband took me to the hospital. I got to the emergency room and they thought maybe it was kidney stones. They started giving me IV fluids which relieved the pain. I had a CT scan with contrast, which showed my appendix was inflamed and I had appendicitis. I had surgery and 5 days later still having lots of pain on the right back and lower stomach, no appetite and constipation.

Comment from: H, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I never had any typical appendicitis symptoms. No right side or belly button pain, and no fever. I got really nauseous one night, started throwing up and each time I did I felt worse and the pain increased. Just severe pain all over abdomen. When I could no longer walk I called someone to take me to the emergency room. Because I had no fever and no typical signs they tried to send me home. Luckily they didn't, I had a ruptured appendix which surgeon said must have been infected for at least 3 months to get as bad as it was.

QUESTION

On what side is your appendix located? See Answer
Comment from: Anne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I wonder if appendicitis can happen with no fever. Total symptoms started around 2 weeks ago. I had a night of intense vomiting followed by days of what I thought were ulcer pains. Two weeks later I'm still nauseous and the pain has moved down and to the right. I am waiting for my husband to get home and take me to the hospital.

Comment from: Lalakuulei, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

My stomach had been hurting for months. I finally couldn't stand it and went to the emergency room. They couldn't figure out what was wrong. They pressed on my right lower front; no pain. Finally I had a CAT scan. Apparently, my appendix was in my back. Yes, my back. They said it was inflamed many times over the years and got better, looking at all the scar tissue attached. Amazingly the next day I could bend over with ease after many years of back pain.

Comment from: Mycatsteppedonme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

Pain started in the area above my belly button (woke me up) and eventually moved to the right side. I never had a fever or felt in utter agony at any point. I did vomit once and had soft stools. My white blood count was high and they saw an enlarged appendix on the ultrasound. About 24 hours after it started, I had the surgery for appendicitis. It was fine. It's been 5, nearly 6 days post operation and I'm still sore and uncomfortable from the operation and constipated from the medicines. I had pains months before and had pressure put on to make it angry.

Comment from: Charlene , 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 04

My daughter is 14 years old and has been experiencing a lot of these symptoms of appendicitis, dull constant ache which won’t go away in her right side, sometimes pain gets worse and then goes, and feeling sick. We went to Accident and Emergency where her blood tests came back normal, even though when he pressed on her right side she nearly hit the roof. They sent her home and now she’s waiting for a scan. I’m really worried and don’t know what to do as it is all still happening. Wonder if I go back to the doctors or to A and E, or just wait for the scan!

Comment from: cdaws, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

Monday morning I woke up feeling bloated and went to work. Tuesday I was still bloated and felt like I had trapped gas. I took gas relief medicine and walked my dog for 30 minutes after work. I had a difficult time getting comfortable in bed that night. I moved to the couch around 12 am because of discomfort. I managed to get a few hours of sleep. I went to the primary doctor first thing Wednesday morning. He diagnosed me with appendicitis and sent me to the hospital. I had surgery and was home the same night. I was fortunate that it never leaked or burst.

Comment from: Sara G, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Friday morning, at 0300, I woke up to diffuse belly pain, and by 0800, it was as if my transverse colon was contracting, for about a minute, every 10 minutes. I made it through half my work day and came home, took a power nap and woke up feeling totally fine. Saturday morning, again at 0300, more diffuse belly pain and the pain from the previous day was back with a vengeance. By noon, I had spiked a 102.5 F fever, and the pain had move to my right lower quadrant, and across the bottom of my belly, indicating appendicitis. I had appendectomy the next day.

Comment from: Jeana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

At age 65 my abdominal pain started around my navel and after a few hours became severe pain in the lower right side. I had loss of appetite, vomiting and nausea. I did not see my doctor quickly and when I did, my abdomen was so tender and I could hardly walk. I was sent to the emergency room and diagnosis was appendicitis, but the appendix had ruptured. I was quite sick and not with it. I had emergency surgery for appendix and bowel resection, long recovery and still having problems.

Comment from: Kellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I have been having belly pain and pain in the right lower middle of my belly. It’s been hurting badly for about 3 days now. If I press on the right lower side, the pain shoots all the way to my bellybutton. If I take a breath, it hurts. I don’t know if this is a sign of an appendicitis. I figured that if it were, it would have ruptured by now. I don't know what to think. I don't want to go to the emergency room if it is nothing.

Comment from: Cidray, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Uncomfortable pressure in upper abdomen was my only symptom of appendicitis. I was misdiagnosed by the 1st doctor even though there was severe pain when she pressed on the lower right abdomen. She said, ‘it can't be appendicitis, you wouldn't be able to walk.' That didn't feel right so I saw my family doctor who sent me to the emergency room, where a CT scan confirmed appendicitis and I had surgery. Trust your instincts, get a 2nd opinion. I had a mild symptom only.

IMAGES

See Images
Comment from: MrNeverGoestoDoctor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I woke up with mild pain around my belly button at about 0500, figured I was hungry, ate and then went to work. By 0900 the pain had moved lower and right and gotten more intense, but I was in a meeting so I finished briefing and stayed in the meeting (pain was about a 5 at this point). By noon when the meeting wrapped up, pain was a solid 7 (nauseous salivating started around here) so I went to the emergency room. I was diagnosed with appendicitis and appendix was removed. About 6 hours later post-surgery pain is about a 4, and I am only taking OTC Tylenol for pain.

Comment from: Whitney, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

My appendicitis symptoms were severe stomach pain that settled in the lower right abdomen, nausea (from pain), swelling on right side, and tenderness. The pain continually increases in intensity, and having a full bladder will cause pressure and increase the pain.

Comment from: Daisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

When I was about 45 years old, I woke up one Friday about 6:00 AM with a slight tingling sensation around my navel and went to work as usual. Other than the tingling feeling and a complete lack of appetite, I had no other symptoms all day. No nausea, no vomiting, no fever, no diarrhea, no pain in my lower right side. I tried going to bed about 10:00 PM and my belly started to sting/burn. Off to the emergency room, where a blood test confirmed an infection and a scan confirmed appendicitis. My appendix was removed laparoscopically early Saturday morning and I was back to work on Tuesday! I’m one of the lucky few who had very mild symptoms.

Comment from: Alma , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had sharp pain in the lower right side abdomen from appendicitis. It was very painful and only lasted around 3 minutes.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I woke up at 1:30 in the morning with what felt like gas pains. I took some gas medicine and lay down with no relief. About a 1/2 hour later I threw up then took more gas relief since I still felt like I was having gas pains and thought I threw up the other pills. About 20 minutes later I threw up again and then took another gas relief pill. The pain was above my belly button had just got worse, it felt like a burning pain. I continued throwing up and around 3:40 started thinking it was more than gas, though research said pain would be lower if it was appendicitis. I woke my husband up at 4:00 to take me to the emergency room. Once there they put me on morphine drip and did an ultrasound. Ultrasound showed nothing so they had me start drinking bottles of water with dye in it to prepare for CT scan. I kept throwing that up but they did the CT scan anyway and right after that they said I had to have my appendix removed. After surgery my gut felt better but I had pain in my shoulders, upper rib, and neck area. Today is the next day and I'm still feeling the worst pain in the shoulder, upper rib, and neck area, but I know it'll get batter. I was told if I felt this pain it would be gas and I needed to move around. I'm trying to do that. Getting up from a sitting or lying position is the most painful.

Comment from: supergran0606, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had pain under ribs and at back; turned out my appendix had ruptured causing an abscess the size of a large grapefruit next to my liver. By that time I had collapsed lung and pneumonia so they could not operate, but drained the abscess. There was also one attached to my stomach. A year later a very tiny appendix was removed, clearly the remainder of the appendix.

Comment from: Jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was walking my dogs on the beach one morning, when I had cramping and I rushed home and had diarrhea. I felt ok and went to work. Around noon I felt lightheaded and started shivering uncontrollably. I had my coworker take me home. I sat in the sun until I warmed up and then rested for the remainder of the day. I felt ok when I woke up the next day but my blood pressure was very low. I had slight tenderness on my lower right side, and cramping and pain around to my back. I googled my symptoms and thought I had a bladder or urinary tract infection. Around noon, I started shivering so uncontrollably that I called a taxi to take me to urgent care. They checked me out and said I had very low blood pressure and was dehydrated but no fever. They hooked me up to an IV for fluids and started blood tests. Seven hours later they still didn't know what was wrong with me and were ready to send me home since they were closing, with the instructions to go to the emergency room (ER) if I had any worsening of symptoms. As I was getting ready to go, some blood tests came back with unusual numbers and they told me to go over to the ER to get checked out. I was in the ER for seven hours, while they did blood tests, pressed on my abdomen, and did an ultrasound which did not reveal anything. They sent me in for a CAT scan which showed appendicitis. And I was admitted that evening and had laparoscopic surgery. They told me my removed appendix had been inflamed. During this whole ordeal, the slight pain in my lower right abdomen was the least of my symptoms.

Comment from: midnight, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My son woke at 3 am with pain around belly button. The pain was pretty constant. He felt like a bowel motion but couldn't. By about 8.00 am pain moved a little to the right. He was walking hunched over and holding a hand on his tummy. It hurt to lay on either side. Blood test at 9.00 am showed increased WBC but no inflammatory markers. Temperature was 37.3. He was operated upon the next morning to remove the appendix.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: October 28

My son who was 15 at the time just didn't feel well. He still had an appetite but he was complaining of stomach pain. He woke up on a Friday morning still not feeling well. On Sunday I took him to Urgent Care and urine and blood tests came back negative and no fever. By Monday morning he was not any better so I called family physician who was out of town but the office said if it was appendicitis he would have to go to hospital anyway so to go there. All tests came back negative again and also the ultrasound showed no signs of appendicitis. ER doctor told us it was a virus and that he would be better in a couple of days. By this time I was at my wits end and didn't know what to do. Thankfully my physician’s nurse called me that afternoon and wanted to know how he was feeling and when I told her she put another doctor on the phone with me and he said to get back to the emergency room and we would be seen by the surgeon on call. Thank the Lord because he did one pressure test on stomach and said he was 99% sure he needed surgery. Sure enough he already had infection and appendix was removed.

I developed symptoms of upper abdominal pain after dinner one evening. It was a gnawing, burning feeling, but also similar to nausea, however antacids didn't help. It lasted till about 4 a.m., then subsided. Three days later (after eating a small lunch), I again developed upper abdominal pain that would not go away. I thought it was possibly an ulcer or gallbladder problem. It never once hurt on my lower right side, though it was a little achy around my lower back area. I went to the emergency room and the doctor was convinced at first that it was an ulcer. Blood work came back fine, but none of the emergency treatments for ulcers helped the pain, which was becoming more intense by the hour. It reminded me of labor pains, but higher up in the abdomen. Finally, I had a CT scan which showed an inflamed appendix. My appendix was located high up in my abdomen and not in the normal place. Emergency laparoscopic surgery was performed and I actually felt 100% better after waking up in the recovery room. The doctor said I had a very “angry looking” appendix, but luckily it hadn't ruptured.

Comment from: Danny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had my appendix out 2 weeks ago because of appendicitis. In 1 week, I was back at the emergency room (ER) with severe pain. They didn’t find anything wrong. I took ibuprofen. The next day I was sick to my stomach. I’ve been on Tums or Pepto-Bismol since then. Today I woke with a stabbing pain where my appendix had been, and diarrhea, and was so nauseous! ER said nothing was wrong. I took more Pepto-Bismol. That helped the nausea. I can’t take pain medicines because of the gastritis, so I’m just lying here with a water bottle trying not to think about it.

Comment from: Glenda , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am having burning in my belly and bad right side pain. I feel hot and get a feeling like I want to throw up, this is the worst it has been since it started two weeks ago. I'm not the kind of person to go to the doctor or the emergency room but my boyfriend and his mom are worried that it is appendicitis and want me to, but after looking I can’t afford it, nor afford the time off.

Comment from: ilmm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Appendicitis is crazy painful.

Comment from: Kayyay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

Dysuria without a urinary tract infection led to a CT that showed appendix 15 mm and question if it was adenocarcinoma. My appendix was located upper right quadrant, which is not the norm. It was removed, no cancer but angiomyolipoma usually found in the colon. Overall it's been a weird week.

Comment from: Stayinlovelady , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

This is day two I am up and can’t sleep, although I am not in any severe pain. I am concerned it may be appendicitis. I was in the emergency room two weeks ago for the same pain that had been there for two weeks. The CT scan without contrast showed that my appendix was large. So they kept me and did a repeat the next morning with contrast and couldn’t find anything, and they sent me home with no answers. Now here I am feeling super nauseous and have pain in my right side going toward my back, and can’t sleep.

Comment from: MJBrewer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

At 7.5 months pregnant, my car was hit broadside in an intersection, at approximately 45 mph. Red flags waved when they realized I was pregnant, but the tests confirmed that although the baby refused movement for over an hour, she was fine. About a week after she was born, my back hurt tremendously. I saw a chiropractor who gave me periodic massages to reduce the pain which always returned. My pain became so intense that I could not work, often times could not shop, and couldn’t carry things, including a gallon of milk. My four-year-old son had to carry heavier articles, including his sister on the rare times she was held. I would change her and bathe her, but he would need to carry her wherever I needed her to be. Several years later, with the symptoms worsening considerably, I sat in my recliner unable to move. After asking if I was alright several times, and my confirmation I was, although I couldn't move and sat with tears soaking my face, my daughter called 911. I had an emergency appendectomy. Immediately, I was pain-free. At first, I ridiculously thought that doctor had taken pity on me and cut the additional nerve to my back while performing the appendectomy. But years later, in a discussion with a friend, I was informed that it could have been an additional problem to my herniated and ruptured discs. The final result was no pain. The doctors never told me any of this, and I'd seen a total of nine. The appendix, although extremely small in comparison, should be examined any time there's unexplainable pain in the stomach or lower back regions.

Comment from: ATLNewYorker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

Over the past weekend I did develop a loss of appetite. I began with diarrhea with food eaten before being ill. After that there was only gas when I thought I had to go to the bathroom. I did start to vomit only when I had no more it was only gagging. Having Crohn's and colitis I called my doctor 5,000 miles back at home to hear him say go to the ER with the symptoms to clear up what was happening. The ER doctor did just that and ordered a CAT SCAN which showed no colitis problem but an appendix about to burst. My flight home from Honolulu was less than 8 hours away. I had earlier thought I would let my problem wait to be seen by my GI doctor in New York. Had I waited I was told that the rupture in air with the pressure flying would have caused instant death. I had emergency surgery just as the appendix started to rupture in the hospital. I am lucky to be alive but I had a great surgeon at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu. Now, I am at my vacation home recovering with another week in Paradise. This must be heaven with all the angels that helped me. Thanks!

Initially, I experienced just a nagging backache which I attributed to sleeping in an awkward position. After a few days, my stomach became distended, and I realized that I was constipated. But after a few days of lots of fruits and vegetables, I had no relief. So I took a laxative and woke during the night in extreme pain. The next day, my stomach still distended and hurt, but I blamed it on the laxative. Finally on day 7, I went to ER and appendicitis was diagnosed. During surgery they found that a part of my colon had also become infected and had to be removed. It has now been 10 days since surgery and I am still recuperating! Earlier diagnosis would have greatly reduced the extent of surgery and recovery.

Comment from: Siwe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I feel pain, I lost appetite and have been vomiting since 2013 till now. I am worried if it is appendicitis.

Comment from: Dolly, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 02

I just had an emergency appendectomy last Saturday. I woke up at 1 a.m. with severe stomach cramping and started vomiting a little. Then I got waves of nausea. When I laid on my right side, I felt much better. It was the nausea that was overwhelming. Around 10 a.m., I went downstairs and vomited again and passed out and woke up on the floor. I knew something was wrong. I continued to have very sharp stomach cramps across my entire abdomen, but then the pain moved to my right lower side. When I got to the doctor, still hoping it was the flu, my right lower side was somewhat tender, but only mildly tender. When I got to the hospital, they gave me contrast to drink for a CT scan, which I promptly vomited up. On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain was an eight, but the nausea was a 25! After the operation at 1 a.m., the surgeon told me it was an extremely severe infection and that I was lucky it didn't rupture. It was done laparoscopically. I stayed in the hospital two nights on antibiotics (Levaquin and Flagyl), and then was discharged home. Three days since the surgery, I feel 90 percent better with only a little scar pain.

Comment from: shiger, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was 8 years old in 1940 when I had a very bad "stomach ache." It began early in the morning at school. I went through the entire day walking up and down stairs. At 3pm my father took me and my sister to the grocery store a block away from our apartment in the Bronx. When I sat down on a metal box outside the store my father noticed I was in pain and asked me the questions "what's wrong" and "how long have you been in pain?" I told him "all day." Cut to an ambulance arriving at our apartment, carrying me out on a stretcher. I remember lying under a huge bright light on the ceiling of a strange room. The next thing I remember is being in a ward of the hospital with huge bandages on my stomach. I went home in about a week or 10 days later. My reason for writing: My father knew what was wrong with me immediately because his father had died of a burst appendix.

Comment from: george, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a lot of gas, small stools, and extreme back pain. The day it burst I had pains also on my right side and chills with a fever.

Comment from: vijaykumar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

With appendicitis, I had severe pain in the abdomen, vomiting, fever, and jitters.

Comment from: Suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am not sure what is happening yet. I began having severe pain. At first, it felt like UTI as I could see visible blood in urine. I had my husband go get AZO as we were leaving on a trip in morning & I didn't want to ruin trip. I got so bad during night I almost drove myself to ER but I was afraid I would not be able to go on trip, so I just kept drinking water and cranberry juice and taking my regular pain medication. Symptoms relieved a bit and I was able to drive. I have been very nauseated and had chills. The back pain has been excessive. Monday all symptoms came back in full force. I asked hubby to rub back and took meds and thankfully went to sleep. I began reading this site concerned that it could be appendix pain. Tuesday morning the pain is on the lower right side. I still have many other symptoms but I’m going to try to hold off until I get back home. I don't want to ruin trip as I surprised hubby with seeing his daughter which we have not been able to see in ten years. I have lots of people praying so hopefully whatever this is it doesn't get worse until I can see a doctor.

Comment from: Peypey1003, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

At first I felt hungry, but wasn't satisfied after eating. Then I experienced profound left abdominal pain accompanied by intermittent minor nausea. As the condition progressed, the pain transferred and lessened to the right abdomen. Then I underwent an emergent laparoscopy for non-perforated appendicitis.

Comment from: STORMI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I started experiencing pain in my lower left side. Then the next day, I had pain, nausea, and vomiting. Later on, the pain lessened if I laid on my right side. Then I woke up one morning and I had to go to the hospital. They told me that my appendix had ruptured and that it was a miracle I was still alive. Somehow, my bowel was ruptured, too.

Comment from: JanelleS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

When I developed appendicitis, the first notable symptom I had was mild abdominal and back pain, for which I took some aspirin, and it went away. About six hours later I developed severe chills, from which there was no relief. Very quickly after that I had nausea and very severe vomiting. While in hospital the chills persisted for almost 24 hours until I had the emergency surgery. There was nothing I could do to get warm, and at one point was lying in the hospital bed wearing a long shirt, sweat pants, a thick winter hoodie AND a down jacket with a blanket on top. I was still shivering. For me the chills were the very worst symptom.

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female Published: June 28

It's nearly 2 weeks since I had my operation to remove my appendix. I had noticed that my stomach was swollen the night before but had no other symptoms at that time. The next day I set off, with friends to walk up a mountain, as I was on holiday at the time. After about a mile and a half, I developed a pain in my abdomen under my belly button which then moved fairly quickly down my right side. I had to turn back with a friend, suspecting a stomach bug. Within an hour, I didn't know what to do with myself as the pain became so uncomfortable and I was quite sick a couple of times. My friend phoned the local GP who asked me to come to his surgery. He diagnosed appendicitis and phoned for an ambulance to take me to the nearest hospital, 30 miles away. I was admitted straight away and examined. A CT scan was ordered to check on diagnosis and to rule out 2 other possible causes for my pain. I had surgery the same day and am now recovering well at home. The hospital staff was fantastic and tried to make my stay as painless as possible. Apart from this incident, I am usually very well and keep myself active, going to the gym 3 times a week and walking regularly in the Scottish countryside.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My experience with appendicitis was something other than normal. I went to bed that night feeling completely normal with no symptoms. About 3 hours later I woke up in the most pain I've ever felt in my life in my stomach. I couldn't even walk! I had to crawl! I had no other symptoms. No fever, no vomiting, no nausea, no constipation. I went to the hospital immediately and a CT scan was done to confirm appendicitis. After they got the results of the scan, they me in surgery in less than an hour! I didn't even have time to think!

Comment from: jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

When I had appendicitis, I had a dull ache, which appeared around belly button and under breast bone. My pain was gradually becoming worse, and I knew something was not right. I drove to the hospital emergency department. They took blood and did X-rays, but they could not find anything wrong. I was told it was possibly hormonal (female 47) or maybe even gastro related. I was worried. The next morning I was in tears as I drove my son to school at 8am. The pain was constantly making me feel really sick. I called my local GP, explained I had been to hospital the night before and was still in pain. This was Tuesday morning and they told me they were full and could not see me until Thursday. At 1pm I was in my kitchen when I felt like somebody had thrown a hot sharp knife in my right side. I collapsed in shock, managed to call my husband who called the ambulance. I have given birth and the pain I had with appendicitis was worse. The medics started to administer pain relief right away. My appendix had perforated. I got to hospital and suffered huge delays and incompetence. I realize this was life-threatening and am now just about to inform the hospital of what I suffered. It has been one week since surgery and I am trying hard to get on with my life. That’s about all for now...

Comment from: Nickie, Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had appendicitis and before I was diagnosed, I had back pains, pains on the right side of my stomach, chills and constipation.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

All of this information is very helpful. Thank you. Right now I'm resting and waiting to go to my follow-up. Out of nowhere I had an extremely sharp throbbing pressure that was so excruciating. Unsure of what it was, I knew something was really wrong. I went to the ER and all the test mentioned were done. Everything came back negative, but the ER doctor was convinced it's appendicitis in the very early stages. I'm resting in hopes it doesn't rupture in the next couple of days. Thanks again. All this information is helpful.

Comment from: angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had appendicitis. I was very nauseated and had a stomachache. I also had a feeling of intense hunger and prior to going to the hospital, I consumed 5 bowls of Cheerios. My symptoms were somewhat different from the norm. Luckily my appendix never ruptured.

Comment from: lkcyne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had appendicitis last February. After dinner one evening, my stomach began to hurt and I developed acid reflux. Having had dyspepsia in the past, I chalked it up to another episode of that. The only problem was with dyspepsia I do not usually become constipated and I do not lose my appetite. I took some medication I had left over for the dyspepsia. That made me feel a little better ,but I could not get rid of the stomach pain. After suffering for 15 hours, I finally told my husband to take me to ER. I presented with no fever and no other symptoms of appendicitis besides severe stomach pain--8/10 on the pain scale. The ER doctor palpated my stomach and immediately said he thought it was appendicitis. The pain centralized to my side during palpation instead of my entire stomach hurting. He ordered an IV started with blood and urine labs and a CT scan. The labs indicated an infection and the CT scan confirmed what the doctor suspected. I was rushed into surgery and had my appendix removed. After the surgery, they discovered a cancerous tumor in my appendix. Thankfully, it had not spread. In my case, appendicitis may have save me a lot of pain down the road.

Comment from: medichughes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

I just had surgery for appendicitis. I had a slight fever and dull abdominal pain. My fever increased over the day, and at dinner could not eat. I was terribly nauseated and I could not drink enough water. The next day, the pain had moved to my lower right quadrant. I thought it might have been my appendix, and I went to the urgent care hoping I was wrong. After the exam, I was sent directly to the hospital, where my fever spiked to 106 degrees. There I was told it was official appendicitis. I had surgery about 36 hours from the onset of my symptoms.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW