Viewer Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Symptoms

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I woke up at 1:30 in the morning with what felt like gas pains. I took some gas medicine and lay down with no relief. About a 1/2 hour later I threw up then took more gas relief since I still felt like I was having gas pains and thought I threw up the other pills. About 20 minutes later I threw up again and then took another gas relief pill. The pain was above my belly button had just got worse, it felt like a burning pain. I continued throwing up and around 3:40 started thinking it was more than gas, though research said pain would be lower if it was appendicitis. I woke my husband up at 4:00 to take me to the emergency room. Once there they put me on morphine drip and did an ultrasound. Ultrasound showed nothing so they had me start drinking bottles of water with dye in it to prepare for CT scan. I kept throwing that up but they did the CT scan anyway and right after that they said I had to have my appendix removed. After surgery my gut felt better but I had pain in my shoulders, upper rib, and neck area. Today is the next day and I'm still feeling the worst pain in the shoulder, upper rib, and neck area, but I know it'll get batter. I was told if I felt this pain it would be gas and I needed to move around. I'm trying to do that. Getting up from a sitting or lying position is the most painful.

Comment from: supergran0606, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had pain under ribs and at back; turned out my appendix had ruptured causing an abscess the size of a large grapefruit next to my liver. By that time I had collapsed lung and pneumonia so they could not operate, but drained the abscess. There was also one attached to my stomach. A year later a very tiny appendix was removed, clearly the remainder of the appendix.

Comment from: Jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was walking my dogs on the beach one morning, when I had cramping and I rushed home and had diarrhea. I felt ok and went to work. Around noon I felt lightheaded and started shivering uncontrollably. I had my coworker take me home. I sat in the sun until I warmed up and then rested for the remainder of the day. I felt ok when I woke up the next day but my blood pressure was very low. I had slight tenderness on my lower right side, and cramping and pain around to my back. I googled my symptoms and thought I had a bladder or urinary tract infection. Around noon, I started shivering so uncontrollably that I called a taxi to take me to urgent care. They checked me out and said I had very low blood pressure and was dehydrated but no fever. They hooked me up to an IV for fluids and started blood tests. Seven hours later they still didn't know what was wrong with me and were ready to send me home since they were closing, with the instructions to go to the emergency room (ER) if I had any worsening of symptoms. As I was getting ready to go, some blood tests came back with unusual numbers and they told me to go over to the ER to get checked out. I was in the ER for seven hours, while they did blood tests, pressed on my abdomen, and did an ultrasound which did not reveal anything. They sent me in for a CAT scan which showed appendicitis. And I was admitted that evening and had laparoscopic surgery. They told me my removed appendix had been inflamed. During this whole ordeal, the slight pain in my lower right abdomen was the least of my symptoms.

Comment from: midnight, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My son woke at 3 am with pain around belly button. The pain was pretty constant. He felt like a bowel motion but couldn't. By about 8.00 am pain moved a little to the right. He was walking hunched over and holding a hand on his tummy. It hurt to lay on either side. Blood test at 9.00 am showed increased WBC but no inflammatory markers. Temperature was 37.3. He was operated upon the next morning to remove the appendix.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: October 28

My son who was 15 at the time just didn't feel well. He still had an appetite but he was complaining of stomach pain. He woke up on a Friday morning still not feeling well. On Sunday I took him to Urgent Care and urine and blood tests came back negative and no fever. By Monday morning he was not any better so I called family physician who was out of town but the office said if it was appendicitis he would have to go to hospital anyway so to go there. All tests came back negative again and also the ultrasound showed no signs of appendicitis. ER doctor told us it was a virus and that he would be better in a couple of days. By this time I was at my wits end and didn't know what to do. Thankfully my physician's nurse called me that afternoon and wanted to know how he was feeling and when I told her she put another doctor on the phone with me and he said to get back to the emergency room and we would be seen by the surgeon on call. Thank the Lord because he did one pressure test on stomach and said he was 99% sure he needed surgery. Sure enough he already had infection and appendix was removed.

Must Read Articles Related to Appendicitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea

Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Prognosis

Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis?