Appendicitis

Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 9462stump, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had pain in lower right stomach with nausea and after about 9 hours I could not move my right leg and started dragging it in order to keep the pain down. I went to the emergency room (ER) and had ultra sound and was diagnosed with appendicitis. I went for surgery for removal of my appendix and when I came out of surgery I had severe pain when trying to move. The doctor said I had a hematoma near my belly button. The surgery was done in 2004, it is now 2017, I have been back to the ER and diagnosed with appendicitis. CT scan found the stump was inflamed, the ER doctor told me they had called surgeon and he would remove the stump. After the surgeon arrived and found out he did the first surgery he refused to remove the stump. I was admitted to the hospital, put on IV antibiotics for 5 days, and sent home. I am now once again having symptoms and going to ER as soon as my husband comes home. I am in pain and need a surgeon to remove the stump. I shouldn't have to suffer with stump appendicitis for the rest of my life.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

A little over a week ago I had my appendix removed. Even after I had a CAT scan and x-ray the appendix did not show any signs of being inflamed or swollen. This is because my appendix was tucked under my colon. So the doctors and nurses diagnosed my appendicitis by knowing that the area of my abdomen that was sensitive to touch was my appendix. For almost a year, leading up to the time of surgery I thought the elastic waistband of my brief was too tight. In other words I only had a dull ache on the right side of my waist that extended to my navel. When the doctor removed my appendix he saw that it was as big as an orange and told my wife when I was in my recovery room. When my wife told me this I couldn't believe it. Appendicitis can sneak up on you and before you know it this health situation could become a life or death situation. My dear wife has been extremely, supportive through all of this.

Comment from: stadlgi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I was on the verge of turning 16 and at summer band camp. It was hot, we had cold-cut sandwiches at lunch and I thought I had a bad one as my pain doubled me over and a case of the chills set in. I had a similar set of pains some weeks before but they lasted a few minutes and everything seemed fine after that. At band camp they put me in the first aid trailer to rest and see if any improvement would occur. It didn't. The pain was in the lower right abdomen and felt like someone had just stabbed me with a knife. They eventually took me to a small clinic in town where the doctor diagnosed appendicitis but the nearest hospital was 60 miles away and at that time no Medivac helicopter service existed except military. My parents were called to meet us from the camp half way. We made it to the hospital emergency room to end up waiting. Finally I started to feel much better and wanted to leave. My dad left in a panic and dragged the nearest doctor back with him. They set up for the next surgery suite but I was also dehydrated and that condition had to be fixed. Long story short, the appendix ruptured, peritonitis set in and a solid week of touch and go after being unconscious for three days (I'm told). A hospital stay of 3 weeks and a loss of 25 pounds later, I get to go home.

Comment from: mr Vic, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Your website helped. I read problems people were having related to appendicitis and complications. I recently had similar pains in my right abdomen, and flu-like symptoms, but no nausea. I thought I had a stomach virus. I read more about appendicitis on the internet and decided to go to the ER where I was admitted for emergency surgery. Thanks for doing what you do.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I experienced pain for 3 days before I went to the doctor and had my appendix removed within hours of medical tests. The first day I thought that I was simply experiencing bad gas pains in my stomach because I was constipated. The second day my back and stomach hurt to the point where I couldn't stand up for long periods and alternated between sweating and chills. The third day I actually felt better because all of the pain was now on my right side. I went to the doctor after work and was told my appendix needed to come out that night! I was told that my appendix got close to bursting once I started to feel a little better. I was lucky that it didn't.

• Appendicitis - Symptoms

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Post View 29 Comments

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

Addiss, D. G., et.al., The Epidemiology of Appendicitis and Appendectomy in the United States. vol. 132, No. 5: 910-925

American Academy of Family Physicians. Acute Appendicitis: Review and Update.

Bendeck, S. et.al., Imaging for Suspected Appendicitis: Negative Appendectomy and Perforation Rates. Radiology 2002; 225:131-136.

eMedicine.com. Appendicitis.

MedscapeReference.com. Appendicitis.

National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. Appendicitis.

Rao, P,M. et al. Introduction of appendiceal CT: impact on negative appendectomy and appendiceal perforation rates. Ann Surg. 1999 March; 229(3): 344–349.

UpToDate. Acute appendicitis in adults: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis.

UpToDate. Acute appendicitis in children: Management.