Ask a Doctor
- Do not smoke, and, if you do smoke, quit.
- Eliminate exposure to smoke by not allowing people to smoke in the home and by sitting in designated nonsmoking areas when out in public. People should also avoid wood smoke and cooking smoke.
- Limit air pollutants in the home.
- Try to avoid contracting respiratory infections such as colds and the flu. Individuals should wash the hands frequently because viruses can be passed through hand-to-mouth contact.
- Fight for clean air to prevent those cases of COPD due to air pollution.
For people with mild COPD, the prognosis is favorable. More severe cases of COPD suggest a worse prognosis. Of those people who are admitted to the ICU with an acute exacerbation, the death rate is 24%. This rate doubles for people aged 65 years or older. The predictors of death due to COPD are as follows:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Lung Disease/COPD Resources
Albert, et al. Azithromycin for Prevention of Exacerbations of COPD. NEJM 2011;365:689-698.
Badrul A. Chowdhury, M.D. et al. The Risks and Benefits of Indacaterol - The FDA's Review. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:2247-2249. December 15, 2011.
Cahill K, Stead LF, Lancaster T (2012). "Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation". Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4: CD006103.
Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. "Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease." Updated 2014.
Hopkinson, N, Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction: indications, effects and prospects. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine March 2007; vol 13; issue 2 ;125-130.
Lahzami, S., Aubert, JD; Lung transplantation for COPD-evidence-based? Swiss Med Wkly. 2009; Jan 10;139(1-2);4-8.
Nelson, H.S. et al. :The Salmeterol Multicenter Asthma Research Trial: a comparison of usual pharmacotherapy for asthma or usual pharmacotherapy plus salmeterol." Chest. 2006 Jan;129(1):15-26.
Rushton, L. "Occupational causes of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease."