Can Walking Reduce Belly Fat?: I’m 45 and overweight, and I’ve never exercised much. This didn’t bother me too much because I’m happily married and have a great life – my weight doesn’t prevent me from fishing or playing with my kids. But recently I had a mild heart attack that was a wakeup call for me. I’ve started walking at least a mile every day to get into good cardiovascular condition. I’ve also noticed my pants are looser and I’ve dropped a few pounds. I thought you had to run, lift weights and generally work out a lot harder than I have been, but I seem to be getting slimmer in addition to gaining endurance. Can walking reduce belly fat?
Aerobic Exercise Aerobic exercise is moderate physical activity that's sustained for a few minutes with the goal of improving health. Walking, biking, swimming, dancing, and jogging are examples of aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise has many benefits, including improving bone density, endurance, HDL, weight control, insulin resistance, balance, and odds of surviving a heart attack and reducing blood pressure, cancer risk, body fat, and triglycerides.
Expert Views and News
- Even Later-Life Exercise Reduces Mortality
- Exercise Improves Brain Connectivity in MS
- 'Small Dose' Exercise Guards Against Depression
- Exercise May Cut Alcohol Health Risks
- All Kinds of Exercise May Be Good for Parkinson's
- Exercise Can Help Knee Pain if You Stick With It
- 30 Minutes of Daily Exercise Enough to Shed Pounds
- Can Too Much Exercise Be Harmful?
- Any Exercise May Cut Alzheimer's Risk at Any Age
- Exercise Benefits Breast Cancer Patients
- Cool Hands May Help People Exercise Longer
- CDC: Doctors Increasingly Prescribe Exercise
- Exercise Boosts Kids' Academic Performance
- Exercise Every Day Reduces Risk of Death
- Exercise a 'Wonder Drug' for Cancer Survival
- Exercise Improves Sleep and Nighttime Breathing Troubles
- Obesity, Arthritis, and Lack of Exercise Linked
- Exercise May Cut Salt's Effect on Blood Pressure
- Exercise Fights Breast Cancer
- Exercise Helps Prevent Fractures
- Exercise May Boost Men's Sexual Prowess
- Exercise May Buffer Effects of Stress
- Computer Use, Exercise May Save Memory
- Exercise During Pregnancy for Smaller Baby
- Exercise 1 Hour a Day to Avoid Weight Gain
- Exercise Lacking in America?
- 24 Hours of Fat Burning From Exercise?
- Brief, Rigorous Exercise Cuts Diabetes Risk
- Can Exercise Prevent Severe Stroke?