Ask a Doctor
My husband has been coughing and wheezing for more than six weeks now and he refuses to see a doctor. He insists it’s just a particularly long-lasting chest cold, but I worry its more serious – maybe some kind of lung disease. What are the symptoms to look for? How do you know if you have lung disease?
Signs and symptoms of lung disease include:
- Shortness of breath: Occurs without exertion or does not go away after exercising
- Chronic cough: Lasts longer than one month
- Wheezing: Noisy breathing
- Chronic mucus production: Lasts a month or longer
- Coughing up blood: May be coming from the lungs
- Chronic chest pain: Unexplained chest pain that lasts a month or longer, or gets worse when you inhale or cough
If you experience any of these symptoms of possible lung disease, see your doctor.