What Are the Different Types of Migraine Headaches?: I’ve been suffering from migraines for almost a year, and I’m trying to get an opinion from a different neurologist to get the pain under control. It would probably help to know exactly what kind of migraines I’m experiencing. For instance, they tend to start with dizziness and then I get auras in both eyes that last for about 15 minutes, then the pain comes and it’s terrible. I know this isn’t how everyone with migraines experiences them. What are the different types of migraines?
Must Read Articles:
Ask How Long Does a Silent Migraine LastMy uncle has what he calls “silent migraines,” and they will knock him out for nearly a whole day sometimes. How long do silent migraines last?
Causes and Treatments of Migraine HeadachesTwo general types of headaches exist: primary (like migraines and cluster headaches) and secondary (headaches caused by a structural problem, trauma, or infection) Triggers include stress, lack of sleep, not enough food or fluids, and many other causes. A variety of medications all working through a variety of different mechanisms are used to treat migraines.
Migraine HeadacheMigraine headaches are one of the most common problems seen by doctors, Urgent Care Centers, and Emergency Departments. While the exact cause of this type of headache is not clearly understood, researchers and doctors believe they are due to changes in the brain and surrounding blood vessels.Triggers for migraine headache are certain foods (chocolate, cheese, alcohol, msg, etc.), stress, birth control pills, and smoking.Signs and symptoms of a migraine include a variety of warning signs (referred to as “prodome”), for example, feeling "high," irritable, or depressed, migraine aura, headache pain, and migraine pain that resolves. Other migraine symptoms, for example, problems eating, concentrating, and fatigue may linger after the pain is gone.
Migraine Headache FAQsThe difference between headache and migraine often includes intense pain, sensitivity to light, sound and smells, and nausea and vomiting for migraine headache. Migraines last from 4 hours to 3 days and may be preceded by pre-migraine symptoms like auras. The exact cause of migraines is unclear, but numerous triggers can precipitate a migraine attack. Migraines may be managed and/or prevented by a combination of medication and avoiding triggers.
Migraine Headache in ChildrenMigraine is a headache condition that comes back again and again. Ten percent of children get migraines, and an even higher percentage of teenagers have them. Migraines can be managed with a number of different varieties of medications.
What Are the First Signs of Temporal ArteritisTemporal arteritis is a type of vascular inflammation that frequently occurs in older people and damages medium- and large-sized arteries. It is called temporal arteritis because it often affects the arteries in the head, near the temples. Headache is a characteristic symptom.
Migraine Headache FAQs The difference between headache and migraine often includes intense pain, sensitivity to light, sound and smells, and nausea and vomiting for migraine headache. Migraines last from 4 hours to 3 days and may be preceded by pre-migraine symptoms like auras. The exact cause of migraines is unclear, but numerous triggers can precipitate a migraine attack. Migraines may be managed and/or prevented by a combination of medication and avoiding triggers.
Expert Views and News
- FDA Approves Third of New Migraine Drugs
- FDA Approves 2nd Migraine Prevention Drug
- Brain Research Fuels New Migraine Treatments
- Migraine Tied to Hypertension Risk in Women
- Ketamine May Treat Migraine, Chronic Pain
- FDA Investigating Migraine Patch Skin Reactions
- Asthma Appears to Double Chronic Migraine Risk
- First Medical Device to Prevent Migraine Headaches
- Celiac Disease, IBD May Raise Migraine Risk
- Migraine Triggers May Not Always Trigger Migraines
- Epilepsy, Migraines May Have Family Ties
- Botox Only Modestly Effective for Migraines
- Migraine Guidelines Focus on Prevention
- Migraines Linked to Depression
- Cosmetic Surgery May Also Treat Migraines
- Sleeplessness Triggers 'Migraine' Proteins
- Migraine Drug's Fate Is Uncertain
- Migraines in Women May Have Link to MS
- Migraines Linked to Heart Attack Risk
- Forehead Lift Cures Migraine Patients
- Migraines Linked to Lower Breast Cancer Risk