Ask a Doctor
I recently had a bad bout with the flu virus, and it seemed to last forever. I’m wondering if there’s a way to reduce the duration of your symptoms without the traditional treatment. For example, is there a list of foods to avoid when you have the flu?
Some foods to avoid when you have the flu include:
- Sugar: This can cause inflammation which can cause sinuses to narrow and aggravate congestion
- Dairy: Dairy proteins can thicken mucus or increase mucus production.
- Greasy/fatty foods: Fatty foods can actually weaken the immune system.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is a mild diuretic and while in itself it will not cause dehydration, it can cause increased urination, which is not a good combination with symptoms such as vomiting or sweating that can lead to dehydration.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can lead to dehydration, and it can predispose drinkers to diarrhea, which can also contribute to dehydration.