Asthma

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your asthma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Richard Friedel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I got my asthma by mouth breathing as a baby and I suffered for decades with mild asthma. I got rid of it by learning to sharply inhale through the nose. This compresses the lips and so by a reflex loop relaxes lung airways.

Comment from: Gracie M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had asthma since birth and couldn't be treated until I was 3. I have taken a bunch of stuff over the years, and nothing has worked as well as Advair HFA. It's the first time in my life I've been able to breathe "normally." My doctor tries to get me off of it every six months or so because it can cause loss of bone density. I say, “At least I'll still be able to breathe!”

Comment from: still fighting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with COPD about 15 yrs ago after suffering from Asthma for almost 25 yrs. I was forced to go on disability and have managed to lead a fairly normal life except I lead a very sedentary lifestyle due to shortness of breath. I quit smoking 17 yrs ago after smoking for 35 yrs. I had tried many times previously but failed until I used a nicotine patch. Thank God for that success. I know I have shortened my life but have managed with meds like Advair, Singulair, Spiriva, Theodor, Ventolin inhaler, and sometimes Predinsone to get along. I only wish I had been able to quit smoking sooner than I did but I suffered from terrible withdrawal symptoms. I lost my best friend last week to COPD. My advice - don't quit trying to quit smoking! You can succeed!

Comment from: Carol, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have a cousin of mine who has been using this nebulizer for his asthma. It seems to be very effective for him, it is a portable and lightweight device, uses ultrasonic waves to vaporize liquid allowing for optimal absorption into the lungs.

Comment from: Richard Friedel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I got asthma by mouth breathing as an infant and got rid of it by doing mindful loud sniffs 2 years ago. This presses the lips together and by a reflex arc relieves the bronchi in the chest. This is really commonplace.

Comment from: dbee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

First, please always have an inhaler with you. Nothing else will be as effective and not seeking medical help could cost you your life. I have asthma and COPD, caused by smoking. I use an inhaler 1 to 2 times a day; when feeling wheezy and coughing more than usual.

Medically reviewed by James E Gerace, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Pulmonary Disease

REFERENCE:

Fanta, C. "Asthma." NEJM 360 (2009): 1002-1014.