Asthma

What are your asthma symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My asthma symptoms are chest pressure, shortness of breath, and headache. I am not getting better despite nebulizer treatments.

Comment from: allynnc, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I was married for 45 years. My wife had asthma since age 15. Normally Primatene or Bronkaid Mist would stop the attack, but they were taken off the market in 2011. From 2012 to 2016 I had to take my wife to the emergency room (ER) 8 times for breathing treatments. All of her doctors refused to give her an emergency inhaler calling her problem COPD. This time the ER doctor intubated her instead of giving her albuterol. Then because she was fighting the intubation after the asthma attack subsided they put her in a coma. Two weeks later she died after they had destroyed her kidneys and liver with too many medications and had the wrong medical records for a much larger woman. Someone needs to protect asthma patients from a misdiagnosis of COPD. I suspect the high rate of death from COPD is wrong.

Comment from: tswears, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

There are lots of things that trigger an attack for me. Here are just a couple. When I laugh more than just a slight chuckle, my throat tightens and I cough a lot. I can be around dogs in the daytime, but if I fall asleep near one, halfway through the night I wake up with a serious attack and can barely catch my breath. My lips turn blue, and my throat is so tight I can't use my rescue inhaler. I must keep a nebulizer ready at all times. It's the only thing that will stop an attack when I'm asleep, and even then, it takes a while to work.

Comment from: annomous, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I have just been diagnosed with Asthma and it is taking some getting used to. I have trouble breathing, coughing a lot and have to use an inhaler more than I think I should need to.

Comment from: RICECRISPIE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

My asthma symptoms include a tightness in my chest and shortness of breath. I do not usually have problems in the summer, but this summer has been awful.

Medically reviewed by James E Gerace, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Pulmonary Disease

REFERENCE:

Fanta, C. "Asthma." NEJM 360 (2009): 1002-1014.