Atrial Flutter

What treatment has been effective for your atrial flutter? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: T.C., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My jumpy heart, palpitations, dizziness, tiredness and fast heart rate, began all year long in 2015. I then went into the emergency room (ER) the first week in December and I was diagnosed with atrial flutter. I had been given a low dose calcium channel blocker. I then went another time and they increased the dose, along with a high blood pressure medicine and a blood thinner from two cardiologists. I finally had a catheter ablation (after three visits to the ER and medicines not working) on March 1st, 2016. Every day I feel much better.

Comment from: beecharmer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have had atrial fibrillation/flutter for 10 years, I have had multiple ablations, none that lasted much longer than a few months. I just had a mini maze 3 weeks ago, which is the first part of the new hybrid ablation. The mini maze is major heart surgery. The second part will be another ablation through the groin, like the others but they claim together the success rate is 95 percent. I left the hospital in flutter and have felt terrible since. I have no energy and can walk 10 feet and feel very short of breath. You feel like you can't get a deep breath which is driving me nuts. I'm a nurse and I probably know just enough to scare me so maybe that's making this worse. I will see my surgeon and general physician this Thursday, I can't wait to see what is going on.

Comment from: DSmith, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

After dealing with A-Fib for two years, my cardiologist decided that I was a great candidate for Cryo Ablation. It has been 12 and 1\2 months and I have no more A-Fib. The doctor took me off all meds six weeks after the procedure. I still have the occasional PAC/PVC, but they subside with taking a Metoprolol as needed and relaxing until the symptoms subside, which is usually 10 - 15 minutes.

Comment from: hope, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I'm 46 years old. I started having trouble with my heart beating fast and losing rhythm about two years ago. This was about the same time I started menopause. I went to a heart doctor and was told I have SVT. He didn't put me on meds so I started writing down every time I had a spell. It would happen randomly and the only thing I noticed was that I was drinking a lot of caffeine and smoking way too much. Now I'm cutting down on both and I hope this will help.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had my first episode of atrial fib nine years ago. I converted with IV meds and was put on Coumadin. Eventually I was able to get off Coumadin as there were no further attacks. Until 2009, it happened again. I converted with meds. Just recently I had another episode of fib. Now I wearing a cardiac event monitor and it is showing episodes of atrial flutter. My cardiologist wants me to take Tambocor at the start of flutter. Does anyone know anything about this med. It scares me.

Comment from: Tia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I spent days hospitalized over near fainting or near syncope episodes! I even went to a well known hospital in Cleveland that totally missed the reason why I was having episodes of rapid heart rate that would happen while I was sitting! I was referred to a local heart doc that made me wear a monitor for several weeks that recorded my SVT episodes. I was already on beta blockers so the next step was radio frequency catheter ablation. I was terrified of having this done while only sedated but it was not bad at all! I am so glad I had this done 2 years ago! I was diagnosed with atrial flutter and had no more episodes since the ablation!

Comment from: EastTnDoc, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 29

I am 62 years old, had my first episode 6 months ago, with shortness of breath and weakness. Initial treatment was DC cardioversion. One shock. Quite successful. The second episode was refractory to cardioversion. IV Diltiazem was given to slow my rate from 144 to the 90s. Subsequently, within hours, I had an ablation for type 1, classic atrial flutter. I'm currently asymptomatic.

Comment from: Fluttergirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

My atrial flutter started at age 38, two months after giving birth to twins and having a congenital heart defect for which I had surgery at age 10. I've had a five-second flutter since my first pregnancy 11 years ago but it happened seldom. My first prolonged episode was an hour at a time, then to six hours then to 60 hours. The first treatment during the 60-hour episode was a rate control beta- blocker which worked for a month. During the next 60-hour episode, a rhythm control medication was added along with low dose aspirin, which took two weeks to really work.

Comment from: baxbat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Two years ago I had my first bout atrial flutter discovered during routine doctor's appointment and I was sent to the ICU. I now take a daily low dose aspirin and a calcium channel blocker (diltiazem) and am awaiting ablation...I have also lost 110lbs (down from 300), quit drinking and quit smoking. I have not had another problem with flutter in more than a year.

Comment from: Jaxryde, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I was just released from ICU after being taken to trauma after a bout of rapid heart rate, high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat. I was suspected of having a massive heart attack. After a clean angiogram and echocardiogram, I was stabilized after three days, released on heart drugs and referred to a cardiologist. I was told I had atrial flutter and was scheduled for ablation which should cure the problem for good. Otherwise this condition can be treated with drugs, which have unwanted side effects.

Comment from: chryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I feel like I have butterflies in my chest. I counted within a week maybe 12 times. My doctor didn't seem worried about it. I'm wondering if I should see another doctor.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I have been having Atrial Fibrillation for the past 20 years of my life, I am now 49 years of age and it has become far worse than ever before, instead of the occasional skipped beat, now it's staying for 12 -16 beats or one event it even lasted more than an hour. I'm living in Australia now, so I've been put on a waiting list since the last episode, which was 3 months ago. My younger brother was having the same problems and a doctor prescribed medication for it. About 6 years ago I'd seen a GP and asked for the same. I think it helped for the first five years, but it no longer working... I find it very terrifying when I go into flutter... I'm often short of breath, my knees get weak, and I break out in a cold sweat... it really is terrifying... but the doctors don't seem to be too concerned.

I was given shock treatment for atrial flutter.

My son, 15 years old was just diagnosed with this last week. He went in for a heart catherization which is where they found it. They did an ablation to the area and we will know for sure in 3 weeks when he takes another stress test to see if this is still there. No medication is needed. Just drink 64-80 ounces day and include salt in your diet. Retaining water helps the oxygen flow to the brain.

Medically reviewed by Robert J. Bryg, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Cardiovascular Disease

REFERENCE:

National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. "What is Atrial Fibrillation?" Updated Sep 18, 2014.
<https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/af>