Back Pain

What was the cause of your back pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mphoko lydia setuke, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a back pain and by then I had a constipation, it has been 12 years now. I am infected with HIV and I had 2 Caesarean sections when I gave birth to my two children. The pain didn't disappear and now it is getting worse than 4 weeks ago. I can't sit properly on my chair and when I am sleeping it is very painful.

Comment from: redd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Well my back pain is more so on right side of my butt bone and I hurt on that same side below my ribs and it hurts so bad sometimes I feel like my legs are about to give away on me. I went to my doctor and he thought it was my gall bladder so I had an ultra sound and they found a spot on my pancreas so I had a CT scan and it didn't show anything but I'm still hurting in my lower back and my side.

Comment from: Deanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had an aortic nerve problem for months. Now my skin feels like it is burning. And I get little spasms left buttock and leg.

Comment from: Ruby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I injured my back at work, but l worked for a semi-military department and after a MRI, it was determined that l had ruptured a disc.

Comment from: Neeser, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

Only days ago I experienced sharp lower back pain on my left side. I dont remember doing anything to hurt myself however I did start jogging every other day about a week go. It feels like muscle and is very painful when I sit up or bend over. I have stopped jogging for now to see if the pain subsides.

Comment from: Patsy Cline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had back pain for 32 yrs. I found out I have fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. I also have a bulging disk at L1-S5 and a pinched nerve at T12. I have put on so much weight and I can't get a doctor to give me the right pain regiment so I don't do a lot of anything. I am 56 yrs. old and I am disabled. I also have diabetes and it's under control but I want to lose the weight and have the surgery on my back.

Comment from: bella, 35-44 Female Published: June 21

I injured myself at work picking up something very heavy. I had severe back pain for days and got an X-ray done, then an MRI and I had a blown out disc in my neck and a disc bulging above it. After nine years and two neck surgeries, I still have nasty back pain, including lower back pain and now leg pain. Voltaren Gel 1% Rx only, should be tried. I was surprised. It's an alternative to taking pills all the time to alleviate the severe pain.

Comment from: Ginger, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 18

While playing tennis, I felt pain in my lower back.

Comment from: spider, 55-64 Female Published: April 10

I was lifting furniture when all of a sudden I felt pain in my back. Ever since then, I'm in agony and I cannot touch my toes.

Comment from: Babydoll3133, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have had back problems since I was 16. It's a "family thing," so I was told. My lower back has been hurting off and on for 30 years now. Yesterday, I sneezed. My back, right thigh and hip are now hurting very badly. My leg is tingling and my toes are cold. It will get better in a day or two, and then I get to wait for the next sneeze. I have some codeine tablets (Tylenol 3) that I got from my dentist a few months ago, and that seems to help a little.)

Comment from: yvonne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I experience back pains 17 or more years ago. Lately at work they added extra on my job duties. I have been lifting cases of canned products. Enough said...

Comment from: Butch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I rolled an 18 wheeler in heavy wind, tossing me around the inside of the cab and winding up on the roof of the truck. Since then I have suffered from severe back pain.

Comment from: edwin, 75 or over Male Published: October 24

I am 84 , in good health and I play tennis and golf and I swim a half mile every morning. When I get up in the morning, my lower back hurts on the left side, and continues to hurt until I have my swim, then it goes away for the rest of the day. I think swimming is a form of stretching the relevant muscles which helps a lot. I usually swim free-style, not backstroke, but that might also help.

Comment from: babyface, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My back pain was caused when I fell down the steps at my apartment and was in a car accident 3 weeks later.

Comment from: samuel413, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I have experiencing very sharp pain in my mid to lower back I am a yard jockey at my job and 1month ago while exiting my truck i went to grab the grab bar and it broke and i fell flat on my back and i started feeling a pinching feeling in my right leg i have been to the company doctor who continues to tell me that it is degenerative bone disease. I can't even stand up straight right away when getting up from a sitting position.

Comment from: CB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I hurt my back by lifting a toilet in the original box and carrying it for a short distance.

My back pain was caused by lifting a heavy sack of birdseed from the top of the sack instead of lifting by bending my knees.

Comment from: mereana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I was caregiver for 6 years I hurt my back lifting a resident who could not do anything for himself. Being a very small guy, I thought I would be able to lift him from the chair to the bed. It was when I turned that I felt the "ping" in my back. I carried on working thinking nothing of it because the pain did not start till the next day it was so painful my doctor had to come visit me at home. I couldn't sleep I could not keep still I was up all night. She gave me an injection that took the pain away and I had to go for physio as well I am now 63years of age an my back still hurts me so much.

Comment from: Kameh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

My back started to hurt after lifting very heavy luggage.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I developed back pain from lifting heavy boxes at work over my head. The pain is in my lower back on my right side and when I breathe it hurts very badly. It's hard to catch a full breath.

Comment from: jajones1217, 55-64 Female Published: February 22

I had been shoveling heavy snow. I woke up this morning, back hurting so bad I can barely even walk. When I sit down, I have a hard time getting up.

Comment from: XBK188, 35-44 Male Published: January 18

I was kneed between my shoulder blade, left of my spine. I did not pop a disc, and X-rays showed no evidence of hairline fractures. Ever since the injury, my left shoulder and arm are always numb. The muscle from my back tightens all the way up to the left side of my neck, which numbs my left face cheek and the left side of my tongue. I also sometimes cannot turn my head from side to side. I have to turn my body from the waist in order to look to my side.

Comment from: ritatater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was in a auto wreck at work. Some one ran in to my truck hitting the driver side. The impact was so hard it took the tire off the axel.

Comment from: RoushSally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

My lower back hurts all the time. The Doctor has said that I have a spine of an 18 year old but my muscles in my buttocks and hamstrings are too tone and pull my hips out of whack causing either leg to be longer than the other. Most of the time it is one leg at a time but recently both sides have been out of whack. Please tell me what to do. I am in so much pain I can't breathe.

Comment from: peace, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My back pain always starts when I stand up and when I am sitting for just a couple of seconds. The pain is in my lower right back side. It feels like my back is breaking. Then it gets numb.

• Low Back Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low back pain?

Post View 1 Comment
  • Back Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your back pain?

Post View 8 Comments
  • Low Back Pain - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting low back pain?

Post

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

REFERENCE:

Klippel, John. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases, 13th ed. New York: Springer, 2008.