Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)

Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lilly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I’ve had bacterial vaginosis (BV) for 10 months now. I got it from unprotected sex and that never went away at all. I’ve taken all the STD tests, and everything else came back negative except for BV. I have yellow/grey discharge every day that has a foul odor but I wouldn’t say it’s fishy. This is ruining my life because no treatment has ever worked. I’ve even changed my diet because I have Helicobacter pylori but that isn’t working either. It’s getting me suicidal because I don’t know what to do anymore.

Comment from: Tb0325, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have experienced bacterial vaginosis (BV) consistently for years. It seemed any slight disruption (i.e. tampons, protected sex, and absolutely nothing) would cause it. The odor and discharge were terrible. I purchased Fortify probiotics and prebiotics at Walmart for USD 17 for a 30 day supply (expensive in my opinion) but for anyone in the same position it’s a game changer! Worth every penny! Zero discharge and odor within a day. I highly recommend! I also tried boric acid vaginal suppositories. They worked for a while but stopped working.

Comment from: Usualbvs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

After being more sexually active I have had what I think is bacterial vaginosis (BV) for about 8 months. I find the smell is particularly worse if my partner doesn’t pull out. It’s awful. I don’t have itching or burning, just a dull throb in my uterus and a horrid smell, usually sour and fishy, sometimes rotten. My current partner hasn’t said anything but I’m so self-conscious. We don’t use condoms, I have a Paragard. Baking soda and water douche and The Killer are the only things that work. No insurance now, can’t go to a gynecologist.

Comment from: Katy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have battled bacterial vaginosis (BV) for over a year and a half as I get it from intercourse with my boyfriend. I went to the gynecologist and she tried pills, creams, everything but it would always come back. I’ve been researching and let me tell you I have found my holy grail. Boric acid suppositories. You can find them on amazon for around USD 30 for 30 pills. These bad boys have worked wonders. I definitely recommend trying them out. I am in no way a doctor but this has been what worked best for me. Hope it helps.

Comment from: Rachellsa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have been trying tea tree oil and coconut oil (I am not allergic to tea tree oil) for my bacterial vaginosis (BV) and I feel like it has been helping but I feel so swollen down there. I am not sure if I should carry on with the coconut oil or stop it. Wonder if there is anything you can do once a week to stop BV coming back once you actually get rid of it I’m from the UK and turns out that getting boric acid here isn’t easy.

Comment from: Ajay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I haven’t had any burning or itching from bacterial vaginosis (BV). But this pelvic pain is so severe. I can’t lie or sit; just in constant pain. I just hope this pain goes away because I can’t afford to miss any more work. I can’t believe BV is causing this much pain and sleepless days and nights.

Comment from: BV BSchmee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have only ever gotten bacterial vaginosis (BV) from intense sex. I don't have itching or any other symptoms, just that hideous unique smell emanating from my lady parts. Once I smell that, I know. My obstetrician/gynecologist gave me an antibiotic (vaginal cream) in the past and it worked great but now I don't have insurance so I'm reading this column for OTC ideas but most have to do with yeast infections and that's not what I have. I used to have those and there was massive itching and therefore burning from the excessive rubbing. BV is only a Starkist tuna scent. I'm sure I have discharge too but I'm too busy and too tired to notice. I'm going to douche with iodine and drink an apple cider vinegar detox to try to even out the pH down there. I have a new boyfriend so I am mortified to have discovered this lovely smell. Cross my fingers these treatments work!

Comment from: Nishypeep, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had bacterial vaginosis (BV) for almost 4 years. When I first had symptoms, I thought it was a yeast infection. I never really get any discharge with the bacterial infection as you would in a yeast infection but my symptoms are burning and itching, bad! I started going to my obstetrician for this and she put me on antibiotics and a probiotic (OTC) and itch relief cream. After a few days, it went away. She said (after my 4th time having it) that my husband and my pH do not match well so, if we have sex two or three nights in a row, I get a bacterial infection! Ugh! The antibiotic for this, makes me very sick and causes bad abdominal pain! I cannot take an antibiotic every time for this, I literally throw up the entire time I'm on the antibiotic. I used to eat a lot of yogurt and felt like maybe that was causing it but I've heard yogurt is great to eat for BV. I am at my wits end!

QUESTION

The vagina includes the labia, clitoris, and uterus. See Answer
Comment from: Lady33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I've had BV for the last three or four months and the doctor end up treating both me and my mate, so hopefully this time the antibiotics worked.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW