Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)

What were the symptoms of your bacterial vaginosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Capps , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I am uncomfortable and have itching and a strong smell from bacterial vaginosis. I cannot get rid of it.

Comment from: Relieved finally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

My bacterial vaginosis (BV) started after I started using tampons. The odor was so bad all the time for 2 years. Finally I experimented by mixing 3 Inner Health Plus probiotic capsules (emptied the powder only) with water and used a vaginal syringe to rinse my vagina, slowly squeezing the syringe over about 15 minutes and trying to hold the liquid in as long as possible. Did it 3 days in a row. The smell disappeared immediately. I did this just after my period for 3 months. Completely cured me without medicines.

Comment from: New, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I just recently found out I have bacterial vaginosis (BV). I’m having severe lower stomach pain. I started the medication 2 days ago. I wonder if this pain is normal with BV and how long after starting medicines I will feel better.

Comment from: Nikita, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My symptoms of bacterial vaginosis were fishy smell and a greyish discharge.

Comment from: Nola, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My bacterial vaginosis symptoms included discharge, sometimes light yellow or greyish-white, mostly recognizable when I would use the restroom and see small drops of discharge. I could usually smell it by doing my own whiff test (inserting a tampon and smelling the tampon) I could only smell it up close but when I’d do more active things, I noticed the odor would become more recognizable.

Comment from: Jessica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I also suffered from bacterial vaginosis a year ago. I also felt embarrassed. Then my friend suggested using vaginal effervescent tablets. It is also an herbal supplement and it was so effective. I hope a lot of women know this if they are having these vaginal diseases.

Comment from: 10101P1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I get recurring bacterial vaginosis (BV). I am absolutely going insane and so close to the edge over it. BV caused me to miscarry and then helped cause a still born. Wonder if there is anyone that has finally gotten rid of it without it returning! I need faith. I am loathing myself over this BV.

Comment from: Sammie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I've had bacterial vaginosis (BV) on and off for many years like so many women have been experiencing it. Every single time it could be a mix of different symptoms - discharge, itch or smell or even all three. So it's pretty frustrating especially when looking online for answers and there’s always a mix of symptoms. Thankfully I've never had any pain come along with it. I started looking for an ingredient that helps with BV and found ProFem, works like magic! Happy with it.

Comment from: Xo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

This is my first time with bacterial vaginosis (BV). I got it the same day I got my period. Suddenly I was itching/burning while I was bleeding. Saying it was torture is an understatement. I finally decided to go to the doctor after my period was over (7 days later) because I was still itching. I’ve now been 3 days on antibiotics and the itching has not gone away. This is driving me crazy! The one thing I am grateful for is the odorless discharge. I don’t know what I would do if on top of all the itching I smelled bad.

Comment from: Elle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship and see each other once a month. For those few days we spend together we have a lot of sex, at least 3 times a day. My vagina then gets inflamed, intercourse becomes very painful and the watery discharge comes. I can never escape bacterial vaginosis, I get it every time we have sex. Perhaps my boyfriend’s genital chemistry doesn’t meld well with mine or maybe it’s his semen, which makes me so sad. Sex is such a big part of a relationship and I don’t want to be in pain every time.

Comment from: TCS2525, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

My bacterial vaginosis is known by a slight sour odor to vaginal juices, more moistness in vagina (consistently) and just an off feeling. I do not feel very horny when I have it - nature's way of protecting one! With no partner, it appears to result from trapped moistness in contact with bacteria. When I was active, unclean toys or fingers probably were the reason sometimes. I learned to always urinate after intercourse and clean myself which helped.

QUESTION

The vagina includes the labia, clitoris, and uterus. See Answer
Comment from: Anonforthis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I had sudden, severe cramps begin out of nowhere, and after 2 hours when the waves of intense cramps had not subsided, went to the emergency room. By this point the pain was throughout my uterus area but also had become localized to where my right ovary is. The doctors tested my blood, did ultrasounds (external and transvaginal) and took pelvic cultures. The ultrasounds looked all good, and the doctors determined that the source of my pain was a really bad case of bacterial vaginosis. They said when the infection reached my cervix it hit a nerve and caused severe pain. IV ibuprofen got rid of the pain and they put me on a 7 day course of Flagyl.

Comment from: Tan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I keep getting bacterial vaginosis over and over again. This will be the 4th time this year. I've taken all the medicines my doctor has given me, and it worked the first 3 times, but now no such luck. I've been doing some research and first I'm going to start with RepHresh. Hopefully this will give me some relief. The itching is driving me crazy, as well as the swelling and redness. No odor, thank goodness.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I remarried at 40. I never had any vaginal infection in my life other than yeast infections after antibiotics. My 2nd husband is uncircumcised and I truly feel this is the cause of my recurrent bacterial vaginosis (BV). After starting intercourse with him I would notice a slightly fishy odor. This would linger until I would take antibiotics for other problems like sinusitis. The odor would disappear only to return after sex resumed. This happened so many times and still does. It makes me want to avoid sex. I went for a routine Pap smear test and a few days later received a prescription in the mail for Flagyl, informing me I had BV. What a shocker. My only symptom was odor and still is. This cycle occurs over and over again. Odor, antibiotics for other problems, odor disappears, have sex again and odor returns. I never had sex with an uncircumcised man but I truly feel that they, or at least my husband, is harboring some sort of bacteria. This has gone on for 7 years now. I just bought povidone iodine douches thinking they might help. I have used 4 so far and the odor is gone and I feel better down below.

Comment from: QueenOfTheDamned, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had 4 episodes of bacterial vaginosis (BV) in a short span of 3 months. I was depressed and desperate. I did my research online. Metrogel and trips to the gynecologist weren’t helping. I came across a YouTube video where a nurse practitioner mentioned boric acid suppositories. Insert 1 every night before bed for 7 days. After day 1 I felt immediate relief. The fishy odor was gone. Like magic they actually worked. I used NutraBlast boric acid suppositories, you can order them off Amazon. You need to buy the applicators for them.

Comment from: Comic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I’ve had lots of it itching from bacterial vaginosis (BV) and yeast infection. Coffee enemas work wonders for BV and yeast. Google it. Many success stories.

Comment from: HelenOfHades, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I've struggled with bacterial vaginosis (BV) for years, and recently discovered it is because my natural vaginal pH tends to lean toward alkaline instead of acidic. I've found relief by using prescribed antibacterial vaginal cream (Metrogel 0.75 percent) and combining it with a high dosage estrogen birth control pill. The higher dosage estrogen prevents me from spotting between periods, which allows my vaginal pH to stay acidic and provides me extended relief.

Comment from: Kranthi, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

I am having white discharge with bad smell and having stomach pain due to bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: shona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Yellow fluid and vaginal odor are my symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, no itching. I don’t know the reason.

Comment from: Fed up, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Every time I had oral sex I would have bacterial vaginosis (BV). Mind you I always wear condoms. I came to find out my partner had a bad tooth in his mouth and it seems like the bacteria in the tooth do not agree with my discharge which causes the BV.

Comment from: B, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I've had BV a few times, and after being on antibiotics several times and then dealing with yeast infections, I was told to try a medicated douche (with iodine) available over the counter. I use it twice and that has taken care of it every time since.

Comment from: LEM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

With my BV, I had pelvic pain, burning and irritation.

Comment from: Ifeelyourpain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have read your comments and for the first time in 6 years I am not alone. I unfortunately also have a UTI (urinary tract infection) accompanying my BV. The first one I had was when I started dating my first and only boyfriend since my divorce. It was months into the relationship and we were very active. I noticed the discharge slightly and a bit of an odor, which in my own stupidity, I figured it was because of being so active so I douched, and I douched and the symptoms worsened. I then brought an over the counter medicated douche and tried that. The symptoms were so severe I bled. I had no health insurance, worked two jobs, and was struggling terribly, so the thought of going to a doctor frightened me financially. However, I had no other choice. I too thought maybe it was associated with the relationship I was in. After seeing the doctor, basically I had burned the natural lining along with all the natural "good" bacteria in my vagina out. I was at the doctors every couple of weeks, and yes with the antibiotics also came a yeast infection. So treatment would be Flagyl along with a yeast prevention pill before and after treatment. I have suffered with the occurrence for many years, gradually it got better, but never has it completely gone away without recurring within a couple of months. Within the span of 12 months, I am treated at least 5 to six times. I did find that a natural remedy over-the-counter "Vaginal Health" pill has helped tremendously.

Comment from: claire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Sex causes bv and condoms also cause bv It has nothing to do with an unfaithful partner or stress, some women are just susceptible maybe because of low immune systems and I didn't think it was a yeast infection as you often need antibiotics to cure it and they themselves can cause yeast infections such as thrush and Candida, if I get thrush I use plain yogurt inside the vagina and it cures my symptoms but I have tried the yogurt with bv and it does nothing.

Comment from: stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Bv is a terrible thing for women to get. It’s so hard to get rid of and hard on your sex life because of the odor and discharge. I enjoy oral sex and I am so self conscience of my body I hate the symptoms bv causes. I don't want to have to worry about my partner smelling or yet alone possibly tasting this terrible discharge. I am currently on antibiotics for it, but I am like everyone else the minute you can relax and feel comfortable with your body again you end up with it again.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW