Battery Ingestion (Swallowed Battery) Topic Guide

Battery Ingestion (Swallowed Battery) Battery Ingestion (Swallowed Battery): Battery ingestion commonly occurs in children 5 years of age and younger and the elderly. Symptoms and signs of battery ingestion include vomiting, gagging, abdominal pain, fever, rash, dark or bloody stools, irritability, drooling, and difficulty breathing. If an infant, toddler, child, or the elderly has swallowed a battery, call the National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline at (800) 498-8666 to be consulted for battery identification and emergency instructions. If instructed, take the person to the nearest emergency department for medical care. If you cannot find the battery that was ingested from the device, bring the device to the emergency department. Do not give the person antacids or ipecac.

Must Read Articles:

Battery Ingestion (Swallowed Battery) Topic Guide - Visuals

Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes: