Bee and Wasp Stings

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Falcon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

Last night in my bedroom going to bed, I went to go pull the blankets up. There was a sudden hot fork in my thumb. I looked down and saw what was possibly a huge wasp. I only had the glow of my head lamp for night reading. How does this even happen! It got me right dead on either nerve/tendon. Extremely painful. It almost instantly swelled up and turned red then purple. Today it is still very swollen, back to red with bruising. Pain has spread over the rest of my hand and up my arm. Awful night! Hooray for future paranoia!

Comment from: Pin Cushion, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I was stung on my right thigh at the bottom of my shorts above the knee. I didn't hear the tell-tale buzz of the red wasps, so I am assuming it was a yellow jacket. The pain was burning and intense and lasted the rest of the night but slightly decreased the next two hours. Since then the poison has traveled down my right leg on the outside to my knee joint and by bed time causing a limp and is heading toward my ankle, itching and swelling as it goes. Skin is painful to touch. I expect ankle pain soon.

Comment from: Kelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was stung by a wasp in early March and got itching and bruising. This is now May but I still have a bruise or discolored place on my arm.

Comment from: Cindy B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I was stung by a wasp on my palm and I removed the stinger. Bled on the site of bite. No immediate reaction other than pain. Next day I felt pain up my arm and swelling on my palm with constant itching. I had severe swelling only on my hand, which subsided after 4 days. My hand turned bright red, then purple. Five days later I developed bruising and stains all over my arm. Looks like it followed my veins. Still itching after 7 days and stains are still present on my arm.

Comment from: Gr82bkissd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I was stung by a bee on my right middle finger. I have itching all up my right arm and pain on the right side of my neck.

Comment from: Misvic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was stung by what I think was a yellow jacket wasp, under my dress near my spine multiple times.Within minutes, I had difficulty speaking and walking without wobbling. My allergist assured me I was not allergic, after testing me, however I’ve not heard of anyone having this reaction. I can’t understand what happened to me.

Comment from: Jamika Gray, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I opened my back door and there was a wasp nest. A few fell out and one stung me in the head. I took a nap and woke up, and my eye was swollen.

Comment from: Wasp bit me, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

Three weeks ago I got stung by a wasp I think. Now it’s just a big hole in my arm. It itches sometimes and it doesn’t swell up.

Comment from: UnicornPie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was stung by a red wasp on the back of the calf of my left leg. The pain was sharp and intense like needles at the sting site and shooting electrical shock like pains throughout my leg immediately after for about an hour. I became mentally lethargic and felt very ‘drunk’ and had a hard time thinking straight for about two hours after the sting. And one really strange thing - at 60 days after the sting I am still noticing that the hair on my left leg have almost stopped growing.

Comment from: Tag306, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was stung by a wasp on my arm almost a month ago. There was a slight local reaction, but nothing too bad, which went down after a few hours. It’s still sore and keeps scabbing almost 1 month on. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: Bubbles19, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was stung over a week ago by either a wasp or a yellow jacket. I felt a burning sensation instantly and it lasted a few hours. I rushed home, washed my arm, then took some antihistamine tablets, and used a cold compress. The next day my arm was red raw, and I developed a rash from the inside of my elbow (where I was stung) down to my wrist. My wrist was slightly swollen. After a few days I put some Sudocrem on to stop the itch that had started. It's now over a week and it is still tender.

QUESTION

Allergies can best be described as: See Answer
Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

Wasp stings are an awful annoyance for 4 to 5 days. Example, I've been stung twice between my elbow and wrist in the last few years. One nearer the elbow on the side where the flesh is the least from bone to epidermis. By the following morning that one's swelling had crossed the elbow and upper arm had swelled. I had to leave work due to the throb from elevated heart rate. The next morning after leaving work swelling had crossed into my hand, and later on that same day it crossed into my thumb.

Comment from: Sandra, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 13

I got stung by a bee this evening and immediately I tried to take the sting out. I put my finger in ice water and peroxide. I took two antibiotics and it said also to take an ibuprofen so I had that 800 mg, and I'm going to see the doctor in the morning.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was stung by a wasp whilst on holiday, I was stung just on the edge of my shoulder/armpit. Shortly after, I experienced pain up my neck, in my jaw and in my lower teeth. Three weeks later I still have itching and a slight swelling as well as pain in my lower teeth and jaw. I have also found a small lump in my neck where the original pain was.

Comment from: Moonshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was stung by a wasp (I think). I felt 3 sharp punctures on my upper arm and two stings in my hand. This was treated with an ice pack, and the swelling reduced. I am now in my 6th week from the stings. The swelling has gone down, but the itch is unbearable. When I unconsciously scratch the area, it swells up again. I continue to take antihistamine, and use a variety of antiseptic creams, 1 percent hydrocortisone cream, and ice packs in between.

Comment from: Aaron g, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I was standing in my doorway to my house having a conversation, when a yellow jacket tried to fly inside. I swatted it with my hat to get it out, couldn't find the wasp on the ground, and looked in my hat, nothing. I looked again, then decided to put my hat back on… big mistake! The thing was in the brim of my hat. I don't know how many times it stung me... but yeah, it’s been around 10 days and I just woke up and the back of my head is swollen again for a second time!

Comment from: Marnita, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I have allergic reaction to bee stings. But still 24 hours later, even after ice and Benadryl, I still have swelling and heat at the sting site.

Comment from: MI, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was stung by a honey bee about two days ago. I got the stinger out immediately and other than slight discomfort, from being stung near the bottom of my foot, I didn’t notice any reaction till the next morning. The sting site became quite red and I noticed a slight swelling. It has now been two days and the sting site looks like a giant purplish bruise, it itches like crazy, and if I put too much weight on it throughout the day, it becomes irritated and swells up again.

Comment from: AJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

A wasp landed on my arm and I swatted it away. I then turned to grab a broom and when I placed my hand on the broom handle, felt like someone had jabbed a red hot poker in my palm. It hurt terribly! I stood there cussing alone in the garage. The pain went on and was intense. I had the usual swelling and redness. Two days later I felt sick, queasy stomach, headache, and itching. Poison control told me to take Benadryl for “mild reaction.” Still not 100 percent on day 3.

Comment from: drane5pur, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I got stung under my arm (near my armpit) by a wasp, and the following day I started to get pain in the top of my arm. This was followed by a golf ball size lump on my elbow, and as the days progress so does the pain. It's been over 2 weeks now since the sting and I have severe pain in the whole of my arm, shoulders, neck and the top of my other arm. I am getting treatment (antibiotics) which is not working.

Comment from: angrywoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

The wasp sting was awful! I was riding my bike and it bit me in the back right through my shirt. It hurt a lot. I grabbed at the area and threw it off me. There was plenty of intense stinging for the next hour, and for the rest of the day it bugged me off and on. It started itching in the middle of the night and I had all I could do not to scratch it. I was shocked in the morning at how big and red it was. Two inches and hard to the touch! This is only day 2. I am using vinegar, witch hazel, cortisone and ice.

SLIDESHOW

Could I Be Allergic? Discover Your Allergy Triggers See Slideshow
Comment from: Deb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I got stung by a honey bee on my chest. About 45 minutes later my hands and feet started itching, and then all over my body. I took a Claritin which took about 1 hour and half before it brought relief and my hands didn't feel like they were swelling. Wonder if I should be worried the next time I get stung by a bee.

Comment from: Jessica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I got stung by a wasp a month and a half ago. It was very painful with a huge painful welt that lasted a month. I can still see where the wasp stung me. Wonder if this is normal or if I am overly allergic to wasps.

Comment from: alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I went to lift my keys to lock the door and unknown to me a wasp was sitting on them, next thing I know the piercing pain I felt. I knew instantly I had been stung (this was now my 3rd time). I managed to pull the sting out but don’t think I’ve managed it all. This is now 2 days after it and I’ve been woken through the night with an intense itching, even more swelling, and very painful, and also a redness which I’m keeping an eye on. I have taken another antihistamine and hopefully I feel a difference.

Comment from: BFJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I've been stung by bees many times in my life but the other day I got stung by a wasp and the pain was 10 times worse than any bee sting! It was on the back of my arm. My entire triceps area is red and itches like crazy! This has never happened after any bee sting.

Comment from: None , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I’m a biker so I’ve been stung by stuff a hundred times, no joke. I got stung by a hornet I think, or maybe wasp. It’s been 7 days. The swelling has gone down but the area is still very red for about 3 inches in diameter. I am going to go a few more days before I become paranoid. I’ve never had this type of reaction. I’m concerned because after a hundred stings prior there was no reaction. Today is day 7. So it is kind of weird but no other symptoms. The redness is still extremely visible. Itching has left.

Comment from: Ouch!!!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was moving a bag of papers that needed to be burned, from the shed to the fire pit. I saw a wasp nest on the outside of the bag. Same time I felt a sting on my calf. I hurried to the porch, best I could since I was wearing a walking boot. Then I felt stinging on the ankle. The wasp was in my boot. Got ice on both places, paste of baking soda and water... got a little light-headed, and swelling on the sting sites. I took allergy pill and ibuprofen. The muscles are contracting in my calf, and my whole foot hurts.

Comment from: Johnathan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I was stung by a wasp and now when I bend my finger I can't pull it up straight, and it's got a white circle around it with a black. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: ARFarmer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I was working in our chicken houses where red wasps had nested in the tin walls on the side of the building. As the door slammed behind me as I was leaving, numerous wasps attacked me; I was stung on my right earlobe, right behind my ear, and on my rib cage. Swelling occurred within 15 minutes but was subsided by taking 2 Benadryl tablets. Spraying WD-40 on the stings also helped with the pain. However, waking up the next morning, my ear and side both hurt much less and there was now pain in my neck.

Comment from: Isa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was stung by a paper wasp on the upper arm twice. It is now starting to swell and itch. I would like to share this remedy for the itching I came across. First let me say please be very careful when doing this. Use a blow dryer on high heat and hold it as close as you can to the sting without burning your skin. This will be very intense but do this as long as you can and if you have to, move away and back a few times until you've had enough. The itching should be gone for a few hours.

Comment from: CoolCath68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I got stung by a black wasp on the ankle today several times while mowing the lawn. I have been stung by hornets before but never a wasp. It is not very swollen or red but the pain is unbearable. It has been 8 hours since the sting and I thought the pain would be gone by now. Other than the pain the only other symptom has been chills and instant tiredness. I've tried Tylenol, ice, peppermint oil and baking soda.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Apparently wasps will not attack if you leave them alone. I was minding my own business and it came from nowhere and stung me on the inside of arm by wrist. Jeez… sharp pain and I think I had a mild allergic reaction. It was red and painful 8 hours later. The pain travelled up my arm and into my fingers. My next door neighbors have a wasp nest and said it is cruel to smoke them out. We are plagued by them today.

Comment from: Glo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was stung by a wasp for the first time. I have nausea, swelling and bad itching. I have had 2 Advil tablets. I am not working and I need help.

Comment from: Melissa, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My son was stung twice by a wasp on his leg. He was in extreme pain, we immediately applied Roman chamomile essential oil with a cold compress and the pain stopped almost instantly. The entire lower leg is red and swollen today and hot to the touch.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 11

When I was about 12 years old my cousin and I were climbing on and around a bunch of boulders while camping. Well, she didn't see a yellow jacket nest and stepped on it. We went running and screaming to camp and I started to jump in the very rapid river but my step mom grabbed me in midair thankfully. We tried swishing them out of my long hair but it didn't work so she took her bare hands and just squished them dead, put mud on my head then a baking soda paste. My head hurt for a month. Unforgettable.

Comment from: Yellow Friend, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I've been stung about five different times by yellow jacket wasps here in California. The pain is like a feeling of bad pressure. It goes away in four to five seconds at most. That's not minutes, it really is in seconds. Yellow jacket bites hurt more but not by much. The ones in my own yard have never ever stung me. Even if I am right by them mowing or using an electric bush trimmers, they move out of my way. I don't understand this behavior on their part. Maybe it is because I move slowly.

Comment from: Avila Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

There was an underground yellow jacket hive. I had to put one of those hanging plastic wasp catchers on a pole stuck into the ground, and dumb me uses my foot to tamp the ground down as wasps were crawling up the pole. Immediately I had two stuck in my hair behind my ear, two or three on my shoulder, two on my sock at the ankle, and many buzzing my head. Multiple hot burning stings became intensely painful within seconds. Swelling, and that itch! Two weeks later and still itching like poison oak. Benadryl no help.

Comment from: Twodogs86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

A wasp stung me above my eye and now my eyes are almost swollen shut. It’s only been 6 hours and I don’t know what I can do to help the pain and swelling.

Comment from: vici, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My daughter knocked into a wasp nest. I was sitting nearby. One little fellow attacked me so fast on my big toes, just below the cuticle area. It felt like glass being shoved into a very sensitive area. Very painful for about 15 minutes. The stinger was still sticking out and my daughter pulled instead of flicking so I got a good dose of venom. Day 2 my foot is so swollen, all the way up past my ankle, I can’t walk. It’s very itchy, red and hot.

Comment from: ALICE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was stung yesterday by a central Texas red wasp. I was weeding and must have bugged the wasp because they usually don’t attack, it chased me all over. The sting was on my back shoulder, and hurt worse than a scorpion. I took a Benadryl and washed the area, never itched, got red but the next day it feels like someone hit me with a bat, so very sore! No swelling now but so sore I can’t lie on that side. No stinger.

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was stung by a paper wasp this morning just walking down my front porch stairs. The little bug came out of nowhere and pulled a hit and run. It hurt pretty badly and I could feel the poison flowing through my body, up the stung leg and down the other one. It was weird, but I thought I was ok. I actually had the same reaction a previous poster had. I started getting insane back pain and it just radiated up and down my spine and to my hips. Still feeling it over 10 hours later.

Comment from: Toni, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was clearing round the base of a large plant in my garden, and I felt a prick in my arm. It didn't really hurt, I didn’t know what it was, so I carried on with my gardening. As I came away from the plant I saw a wasp sting me, this sting was way worse, I wondered if this was the same or different wasp or more painful because it was a second sting. Man, those things are fast when they attack, it's like a retracting bullet.

Comment from: Joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

Apparently I brought a hornet down from our attic while retrieving Christmas ornaments this December. The hornet stung me on the side of my left big toe and it was a very sharp intense sting. No immediate swelling and pain but hours later when I went to bed it became unbearable. I took 2 ibuprofen which helped but by morning there was swelling and redness. The intense itching didn't start until I went out shopping the next day and now I have a few hours of relief followed by bouts of itching.

Comment from: Rocko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

An old makeshift ladder stand was leaning on a tree. I knocked it over, and grabbed it rickshaw style. I started pulling it over to the fire pit. While pulling I felt something jabbing me, and thought it was the splintered wood on the end of the ladder. I was wrong! Turns out a wasp had stung me 14 times, in the space that a quarter could cover. It has been over a month now. It still hurts, I have taken everything! And I went to my doctor, and he gave me gabapentin and prednisone. Still hurting!

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I was trimming a tree off my neighbor’s fence, all of a sudden I was stung on the top of my head by a hornet/wasp, I guess. I didn't see it but when I looked up above my head there was a big hornet's nest. About an hour and a half later my head and face swelled up and I can hardly see with my eyes, like somebody punched me in the face.

Comment from: Joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I was stung several times by wasps on my index finger and once on the wrist of the same hand. Almost immediately there was a horrible pain in my back which also involved my buttocks, legs and arms. I was in excruciating pain for about 15 minutes. It then started to ease. The redness and swelling in my finger and wrist started to reduce after taking Benadryl. I have never heard of this reaction.

Comment from: NikkiZ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A wasp got caught in my glove and stung about 7 times. It didn't seem too bad at first, I took Benadryl and iced every hour. Throughout the night it got worse and I was pretty swollen the next day. The itching was unbearable so I kept ice on it almost all day but by night it was worse, the swelling and redness reached almost up to my shoulder. Then I took a raw onion and wrapped it with cellophane on to the wasp bites and all up my arm. Immediate relief from itching. I wish I had done it sooner.

Comment from: Sheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Yesterday I was stung by a wasp. Not really any pain, I would say discomfort, but, my entire arm is swollen, which is annoying. I used Benadryl and ice packs.

Comment from: Gro, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I trod on a wasp and it stung my toe. Pain was terrible I couldn’t sleep. I read that I should put cider vinegar or plain vinegar on it. This relieved pain immediately. I took Benadryl as well.

Comment from: CarlaKW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I'm 51, in decent health and was stung on the top of my head at 11 am on Friday June 1, 2018 by a red wasp. Upon waking on the 2nd, I found that the lymph nodes on the right side of my neck to be swollen and extremely painful. My research suggests serum sickness but it typically takes a week to develop/manifest. I'm feeling ok, no fatigue, just a surprisingly painful neck! I've been stung many times before but had no swelling in my lymphatic system.

Comment from: Manuelo'sLady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I used to live in a home with honey bee hive which I walked through almost every day untouched, remaining calm. Sometimes they would even land on me but I have never stung by them. I've only been stung a total of 2 times in my life, first by a wasp repeatedly, and this one was still a mystery, the wasp sting came from stepping on it coming out of the shower in the morning. I was stung repeatedly. The pain was almost intolerable, having to fling the wasp off me as it was not letting up. I was stung in my pinky toe at least several times. I have had a very high pain tolerance, being a tomboy, injuries come with the territory. The wasp sting cleared throughout that day, I didn't take anything for it, and it felt better by that same night. The second time I was walking into Publix with my husband in front of me when I heard buzzing going straight for his face. He swatted it without even seeing it clearly or much at all. In fact, I was stung by only the stinger landing as if dive bombed, between my thumb and first finger. The stinger was dark may have been black, shaped exactly like a small rose thorn with a clear sac attached. I pulled at it, and in doing so I squeezed the sac shooting poison or venom into my hand. It took 3 times to get the stinger out, I reacted before thinking therefore I made it worse by squeezing the sac at the tip unintentionally. It's been over 2 days, I've cleansed, used ice, meat tenderizer, baking soda paste, tobacco; almost every home remedy I could think of. The pain hasn't been so bad, the swelling and extreme heat and itching are constant. I am almost positive I scratched it in my sleep as it was worse upon waking and isn't going away. It's now day 3 with no change. Neither of us knows what it was, he said he saw large wings, it was fast and loud. When swatted we were in a very crowded area and could not find what stung me. I've taken Benadryl, but it is not much help at all, and ibuprofen 800 is no help either.

Comment from: Rea, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

I was just standing in my doorway, watching for my grandchildren to come home on the bus, when I was stung by a red wasp on the hand just above my wrist yesterday around 3:30. It hurt really badly then shortly after, it started itching, hurting and swelling from my fingers to my elbow. Symptoms lasted throughout the night, I took cetirizine, used cortisone lotion, then Benadryl, and also iced it. Today it is still swollen and the irritation hasn't changed. I am miserable. Thank you and have a great day.

Comment from: Eileen Fitzgerald , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I just got stung on my toe, I was wearing my slippers and the wasp was inside my slipper. The pain is so bad I can’t sleep. I tried vinegar salt as paste, and lemon, but nothing is helping.

Comment from: george, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 26

An hour ago I was stung by an irate wasp as I had inadvertently disturbed their nest in a neighbor’s garden. My wife put on vinegar and gave me an antihistamine tablet plus an ice block used to keep food cool from shopping, and the itch has eased but the swelling to the side of my face is still there.

Comment from: don e., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I got stung again by a yellow jacket wasp just above the wrist. Each time now, it swells more, I used onion and meat tenderizer. It swelled more overnight and then I couldn't sleep. I drove to the chemist’s and bought Benadryl. I took one 25 mg capsule and 2 Motrin and did more ice packing. Now my whole forearm is swollen.

Comment from: stung in PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I was mowing the lawn and suddenly felt a searing pain on the lower part of my left leg, about four inches above my ankle. I instinctively swatted it and saw that it was a black wasp with yellow stripes. I finished mowing the lawn and put some ice on it, and took a 24 hour Allegra. The next day, my foot puffed up from my lower leg, to my ankle, to my toes. I took 2 Benadryl, which just made me sleepy and didn't help with the swelling much. I finally called my doctor and he prescribed a steroid to take over 6 days. Next time I mow the lawn I'm wearing pants and bug repellant!

Comment from: Florence, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 24

I was mowing the grass and disturbed a wasp nest. I was stung multiple times on the ankles, hip, and inner thigh. I applied baking soda paste, and took Tylenol and Benadryl. The pain went away in several hours, however, I had immense itching. I applied cortisone, which helped. However, it has been approximately six days since I was stung and was awakened by the extreme itching. I have again applied cortisone and took Benadryl. I was hoping this would be gone by day 6. I have no allergic reaction, however, very local reaction.

Comment from: sculptor, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I was stung by a large wasp on my wedding ring finger. Overnight it swelled and my whole hand came up like a boxing glove. I had to have my wedding ring cut off of my finger with some tine snips. The reaction continued throughout the next day until my doctor got back to his surgery. He treated me with an injection of anti-inflammatory histamines and the inflammation began to go down, plus applying Dermovate cream helped.

Comment from: meme, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I got stung by a red wasp on my hand over a week ago. I put baking soda on it and it was fine. Two days went by and my hand started swelling and then my knee, leg and toes started swelling. I went to the emergency room and they did testing. I have osteoarthritis, or so they thought, and gave me hydrocodone for pain and ibuprofen. I see the doctor in 3 or 4 days. I took the medicines and my granddaughter said to take some Benadryl. L got some better, but still really swollen. Finally 4 days later I went to my doctor, he did tests, and everything is fine. Swelling has gone down but, still my hand hurts tonight and there is swelling still in my leg and foot. Doctor has ordered lymph massage on Thursday.

Comment from: Nicole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was stung on the wrist by a bumble bee. I tried to get the stinger out. I'm still not sure if it’s out or not. I put a slice of potato on it because I heard that's supposed to help but it didn't, so I put ice on it and the swelling around the sting went down almost immediately but then I noticed that my whole wrist had swollen. I went to bed hoping that the swelling would go down during the night and it did but I noticed soreness where the swelling had been. This has never happened to any other stings I have had in the past.

Comment from: shay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was out mowing! Normally red wasps will fly away from you. Not today! Decided to fly up my shorts and sting me in the area you should not be stung! I ran in and put vinegar on it and antibacterial cream! I took 4 ibuprofen for pain and swelling! It happened 3 hours ago! It still hurts like heck! I tried all the remedies. It may be because it is in a very, very sensitive place! No more shorts when mowing! I have to sit or lie down! Walking hurts!

Comment from: jckst, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 45 year old male, and was sitting at my computer desk emailing when stung by a wasp on my left ankle. The pain was very intense, and the swelling started immediately. I killed the wasp and have it in the freezer in case my wife has to take me to the hospital. I was stung at 11:30 PM, and it's now 2:00 AM, and the pain finally started to recede after putting a penny on the sting site for about 10 minutes (thanks to the person that posted the comment about the penny--it really worked). The penny didn't take the pain completely away, I still have intense pain surges, but not as severe and it (penny) took the constant throbbing pain away. I just put hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin w/pain relief on the bite area--hoping to get SOME sleep tonight. I have been bitten a few times as a younger man and child, and have never had this kind of pain from a wasp sting. I think the poster that commented about the wasp's poison getting stronger was correct, the pain is so much more intense, and not just because I'm older either, as I'm in great physical shape. My breathing is a little ragged now, so I'll lay down after taking some antihistamine medicine. Good luck to any that have this kind of hellish sting.

Comment from: asdlakecharles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Yesterday I was out running with my son and two dogs when I felt a horrible sting on my right cheek (not the one on my face.) I turned around and saw a bush I had just run by was swarming with red wasps. I turned around and started back for my home and one wasp followed me. Luckily, it didn't get me. The last sting I had was when I was a kid and I am moderately allergic to these types of stings, so I was scared without a cell phone and a half a mile from my house. As I got closer to home and time progressed, the pain got worse and I was barely able to keep going. My tongue felt swollen, I was getting chills from head to toe, and I could feel the venom spreading down my leg. When I got home, I immediately took Benadryl and waited to see if I would need medical attention. At this point, my chest felt tight, like a rubber band was wrapped around it, making it painful to breathe. Eventually, the Benadryl kicked in and I fell asleep. This morning the site is far less swollen and painful but my tongue still feels somewhat too big for my mouth and my throat is very sore. I appreciate the information on this site although I think there should be more information out there for people who don't go into anaphylactic shock when stung, but do have minor to moderate allergic response to stings. The symptoms are very painful and very scary.

Comment from: dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

My husband got stung by wasp while working in the backyard. Actually, he was stung twice by the wasp: once above his heart, the other on his back of calves. The reaction is very scary, never like before. His chest, then neck, face and mouth turned red, then red spots all over his body. Sensitive areas, like underarm, groin area, arm - especially where he got burned two weeks ago. Hives and itch... At the hospital, they gave him antihistamines right away, but it was several hours until he was better. I mean just OK, but not good. Now his ankle has swollen to three times its normal size on the leg where he was bitten 24 hours ago...These stings are nasty.

Comment from: Stacey, 45-54 Female Published: September 17

Simple relief for bee stings (I have never tried it with wasps or hornets) can be found for a Penny. Yes, the 'good old' useless penny that can be found in almost anyones purse, pocket or car. Place the penny on the sting and hold it there for 5 to 8 minutes. Usually in less than 10 minutes the sting, pain, and swelling will go away, in most instances, completely. A simple cure, especially when you are out and without all the traditional medical cures recommended.

Comment from: lucky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was recently stung over 20 times by what I learned were ground hornets. I was taking my trash to the curb and when returning I began being stung. These aggressive creatures followed me up three flights of stairs into my apartment stinging me in my hair and into my clothes (long sleeved and long pants). I was able to get to my car and drive to my workplace, a Health Center. There my colleague, a nurse, had me remove my clothing because she spotted even more wasps that had ridden in my car stinging me all the way. I was treated with an injection and orally. I also was given cold packs. I returned to my apartment after it had been scanned for more hornets. I experienced being highly irritable, sensitive to noise and magnified emotional sensitivity. I am still dealing with several more severe sting sites, increased heart rate, irritability, decreased itch and muscle soreness!! This was nasty. I am over 50 years old and have NEVER experienced such an aggressive response from any living creature and I am a therapist who has dealt with aggressive creatures!!!!

Comment from: Charmelia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I disturbed a Wasp nest and was immediately stung on my upper lip for 3 or 4 seconds. (I couldn't seem to swat him off right away).Within a few minutes my upper lip swelled, both sides of my face swelled up, my neck began to turn red, and the swelling moved up to my right eye and it turned red/purple underneath and it also swelled up. That was yesterday. Tonite the swelling is going down somewhat, but quite a bit remains.

Comment from: berniemay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was swimming, when I was stung by a hornet. I immediately felt a burning sensation where I was stung on the inner thigh. Within minutes, my thigh swelled up to twice its size. Shortly after that, I got hives, my airway started constricting, and my tongue swelled up. I was brought to the local hospital where the doctor gave me three shots. To this day I carry an Epipen.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I was working in my back yard, trying to trim a very overgrown bush when I apparently disturbed a big nest of wasps and got stung in about three places. Thank goodness I always wear a hat. I immediately took a Benadryl and then put a paste of baking soda and water on the worst sting. It helped immensely. The stings are still very, very sore. I went to the pharmacy to find something that would help a wasp sting and realized I had all that I needed in my own medicine cabinet. Alcohol or hydrogen peroxide can also relieve pain from a sting.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My sting from a wasp burned and turned red with extreme itching. It lasted for about 10 days. The redness turned purplish blue and doubled the size in swelling. The bees seem more venomous these days.

Comment from: 78SeeYa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Three hours later I am still in horrible pain on my thumb. I am not sure what stung me, bee or wasp, but it is getting to the point of unbearable. I've tried everything from ice, baking soda paste, toothpaste, even Orajel. Nothing is helping!

Comment from: sheetmetalmomma, Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was stung over 30 times by wasps. Most have gone away but I still itch and swell up and it has been over a week.

Comment from: lauralu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was stung by a wasp on my finger 3 weeks ago. It is still itching like crazy.

Comment from: PAredneck, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I was stung by a wasp on the calf. It hurt more than any bee sting I've ever had. It swelled up my entire calf. It still hurts 3 days later like a deep bruise.

Comment from: bmoore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was stung by a wasp last Friday on the inside of my elbow. I've been stung several times over the years, but never had more than swelling an itching from a sting. Within five minutes my heart started beating wildly. Then my arm started itching and lips went numb. I started wheezing and itching uncontrollably. And my face started swelling! 20 minutes later I was in the ER being treated for a full blown anaphylactic reaction to the sting. After getting it under control and monitoring my symptoms for a few hours I was sent home and instructed to take Benadryl for the next 2 days. By Saturday, my whole arm was swollen - from my shoulder to my hand and itching like crazy! Today is almost a week later, and it's the first day I have felt normal, other than my arm still itching. I now have the EpiPen!

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: September 29

I am amazed that after 4 hours, the sting area is still "stinging". It is as if the wasp is continuing to inject venom. I have taken Tylenol, applied After Bite medication and still, the area (elbow)is swollen, red and is hurting continuously. I have been stung before and have not had the area hurt like this.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 29

A wasp stung my thigh 6 times . It had crawled up my slacks. I suffered severe swelling , pain and spent the night with ice packs and one antihistamine Reactine . Phoned the doctor next day because I had diarrhea and nausea . Later these lessened and I was able to pick up an Rx for cortisone . Lots of brusing in the the stunged thigh and many sensations as if I was being stung again, different parts of my body , lasted for two weeks after stings . I now carry an epi-pen.

Comment from: horseriderthree, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was on my large tractor, backing into some alder trees and salmon berries. I was stung on the back of my neck and left hand ring finger with gloves on. Must have distrubed a yellow jacket's nest. Immediately put ice on both areas and took a benedryl and ibuprofen. Still very ouchy, but more tolerable.

Comment from: patmem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 49yr old woman with Rheumatiod Arthritis and Pulmonary Hypertension on oxygen. I have had no known allergies and have been stung by bees before. Three days ago I was stung by a yellow jacket...I took a Benadryl and shrugged it off. Within 5-10min I developed intense all-over itching, then became light-headed and faint (seeing black spots when I opened my eyes) and began perspiring profusely and gasping for breath. My husband called 911 and I spent several hours in ER. They gave me ephedren and 80mg prednisone, and another shot I don't remember and upped my oxygen. My blood pressure was low and my temperature was high. I started feeling better within a half hour to forty five min, although quite shaky (from the ephedren the nurse said). I came here to WebMD to help decide if I should ask my doc to squeeze me in long enough to look at my hand that was stung. It has been 2.5 days and it is still hot, tightly swollen and mottled to the elbow, and itches violently when the Benedril begins to wear off. Soaking it in tepid Epsom Salts doesn't seem to be working yet. Have one more day of the prednisone left. Was awake much of the night with the itching. From what I read here I have decided it is in my best interests if I try to see my doc and have put in a call to him. Thanks!

Comment from: summer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

This is the first time I have been stung by a wasp. Got a wasp sting on 9/07/09 while i was camping with family in Pennsylvania. It was very painful. I did not see the stinger in my hand where i was stung. I treated it with Benadryl lotion. Today, 9/10/09 I have a red, painful swollen area (less then 10 inches)where the wasp had stung me. I am not sure what else I can do to help alleviate the pain.

Comment from: Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My son was bitten by a wasp just under his eye yesterday. We gave him Benadryl and applied ice. In the morning it was swollen shut. We continued with Benadryl and ice during the day and it is about half open but very puffy underneath. He is 14 and has had no allergic symptoms nor is the eye draining. It is slightly red around the eye, but I think that may be from the ice. He did complain that the gland behind his ear on that side of his face felt swollen tonight.

Comment from: dnj637, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I got stung by a paper wasp. Four hours later, it is still excruciatingly painful and has me in tears.

Comment from: nancyflorida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

A paper wasp stung my finger yesterday. I had to leave work this afternoon the itching and swelling is so bad. I called the doctor who said nothing can be done except the remedies I've seen online--Allegra, Benadryl, baking soda, ice, elevation. It's almost midnight and I am in agony. I have taken Benadryl every 5 hours, and 800 mg of ibuprofen. I only have brief periods of relief.

Comment from: rubym, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I got stung maybe a few minutes ago on my thumb, just behind the nail. I put vinegar on it and it’s not doing anything. Bees are different than when I was little. The pain is worse. Mom always used baking soda and vinegar.

Comment from: Curious, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was stung once by a yellow jacket or paper wasp a few days ago. On the first day, my entire forearm swelled my elbow to my fingers, tightening my skin. A small bubbled rash appeared. I went to my doctor. I was given a steroid shot that reduced the swelling over the next few days, but I got a fever over 100 degrees. I am improved from being so sick I barely could get out of bed. I remain unsteady on my feet with a nausea.

Comment from: galbut, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I was mowing the lawn. I was about to finish when a lone yellow jacket stung me once on my calf. Twenty minutes later, I started itching all over. The itching intensified. The scratching started first, so I raced into the bathroom to take a cold shower. It worked it making me feel better for five minutes. The lumps started appearing all over my body, while my leg remained somewhat suspiciously normal. I used a mixture of salt and water for my body. This morning my body got better, but my leg is now swelled up all the way to my foot. All this from one lousy sting! I am still not well and will probably head to the hospital tomorrow.

Comment from: wisconsinfarmer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was stung by a yellow jacket on the joint of my thumb. Of course stings are always painful, so I put ice on it immediately. That night, pain in the thumb joint was severe. I took Advil for pain, iced it again and was fine except a little residual pain for a few days.

Comment from: Homam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

While delivering mail in Richardson TX, I was a stung by a wasp on my right hand. The bite was so powerful that it broke the skin and the blood came out. I did not use anything, and I didn’t bother to removing the stinger. This resulted in swelling stretching from the wrist up to the elbow area. Occasional itching and pain are still occurring.

Comment from: slefeve1234, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was stung by a wasp on my left hand on a kayaking trip. Immediately it swelled, turned red and hurt, but remained localized except for a few sharp pains now and then throughout the next half hour or so. Later that evening though as I lay down to sleep, my whole arm from wrist to shoulder was aching so bad I didn't want to move it. The pain was definitely a 10/10 on a 1-10 scale with 1 being no pain and 10 the worse I can imagine.

Comment from: smurf, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was stung by what I believe was a wasp right through my t-shirt just below the elbow. I believe also through my T-shirt on my abdomen. The next day I woke up with itchiness in both areas. Both had had swollen in diameter to about the size of a donut and are red and hard.

Comment from: ohms277, 55-64 Male Published: June 04

65 year old male. Yesterday while unloading a chop saw out of my truck, I felt a sting in my finger. I set the saw on the floor and turned it over and discover a paper wasp nest full of wasps. I sprayed them, and be this time I could feel a burning going up my arm. By the time I got in the truck to go to the ER, the burning had reached my head, ears, neck, chest, torso. When I got to the ER, my feet were burning, as was my groin area. I was feeling very faint and I found it hard to talk. My head and lips felt like they were going to pop. My blood pressure had dropped to 60/30. Was given Epi shot, IV steroids, and oxygen, and began feeling much better. They kept me there for several more hours to make sure. They gave me a script of Epi pens, Benadryl, and Pepcid. Today my hand is still swollen, but I’m feeling a heck of lot better!

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was stung on top of the first joint of my toe. My sis-in-law pulled it out, which caused so much pain and burning. I got a couple of bite onitments and put them on it. Did not help at all, then I put Tea Tree oil on it and it took the burning away! I took 2 benedryl then 2 more 4 hrs. later. None over night. I woke up several times with pain. This morning the sting site was fine no pain, but the second joint was swollen & to just touch it causes a great deal of pain. It hurts to walk on that foot. Not looking forward to having this pain for 7 to 10 days and am praying that no other side effects come up in the next day or so!! I live with bad back pain and this is topping that!! How strange this sting is!!

Comment from: SDAN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I got stung in my right thigh once and my left arm right above my wrist and up close to my shoulder. My arm is so sore and my throat feels a little funny and my thigh hurts. I am thinking about going to the doctor.

Comment from: itchymama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I'm 26 and I was stung by a wasp hmmm . . . about 40 hours ago. Now I understand why people run away from bees and wasps! (I used to make fun of them). I was stung on my left ankle, which has swollen and will NOT stop itching! (There was a lot of pain for the first few hours, but now it just won't stop itching!) It is 2:20 a.m. and I can't sleep. :( Claritin didn't seem to work for me - I am just using ice and other home remedies to keep the itching at bay. Elevating my ankle seems to help - but honestly, I'm a mother of 3 kids and I don't have time to put my feet up! I must sound like such a whiner! Trust me; I am so grateful that it was me that got stung and not any of my kids! And with H1N1 and other flu bugs going around I am also grateful that I got "bit" by this bug! Thanks for the information!

Comment from: sorearm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was stung by a wasp that was sleeping in my gardening glove. The pain was very intense. I have been stung many times previously in my life with little discomfort after the initial sting. My hand started to swell and became very tight and painful. Then I felt my armpit start to hurt as well as the whole arm. I went to my family doctor. I had taken two Benadryl as told to by the pharmacist. My family doctor told me to go to the emergency room at the hospital where I have been going every morning since (for three days) for intravenous antibiotics. When the swelling goes down, I will be switched to oral antibiotics. I felt like my arm was being sawed off, the pain was so bad and I still cannot use my arm.

Comment from: CT woman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a 54 year old woman and was at the car wash vacuuming out my car when I felt a sharp pain in my left upper shoulder (in a place I could not reach of course). The pain was more intense than any previous stings that I recall and did not subside quickly. It literally took my breath away and I sat on the ground until I was able to drive home. I was surprised by feeling so panicked and anxious and I couldn't tell if the stinger was still in place. I put some ice on it, and called my husband to look at it and make sure the stinger was out. I am on Zyrtec anyway, and I am hoping this will alleviate some of the reaction.

Comment from: Beewary, 45-54 Female Published: October 19

Today is the day after being stung on the inner wrist by a very large red wasp. The pain was immediately severe and started swelling. Today the swelling has gone down but it is still painfull and I have a red area that extends six inches down from the sting site. It is very itchy and feels warm. I took benadryl and put neosporin pain relief on it. I have never had such a bad reaction before.

Comment from: Christi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

While doing lawnwork yesterday about 7pm I found a wasp nest in a flower bush that I was trimming. Felt a sharp thorn poke my thumb and thought it was my cactus needle. I started to feel more pain and could feel my hand start to swell in my thumb and 1/2 my hand...then after 2-3 hours the swelling took over my whole hand through my wrist and about 3-4 inches past my wrist. Today, the swelling is the same and feels like it's worsened..it is hard to bend my hand since my knuckles are swollen too.

Comment from: Lv shoes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was stung by wasps. I didn't know that there was a nest in the ground when I was replanting a shrub. The wasps began to sting over and over. i couldn't get them off of me. The only way to get them off was to hide under water. Those wasp stings were like the wasp had velcro; they just kept burning, and the wasps were like velcro and could continue to sting. I'd never been alergic before but this time with over 70 stings I had to be taken to the hospital. Be careful the wasps like to hide in chipmunk holes; said the exterminater. I hated to do that but with children around I was afraid that the stings could kill.

Comment from: Barbara H, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 6 year old daughter was stung at school yesterday on her ear. The ear swelled up and redness appeared down the side of her neck. I was called to the school and gave her a dose of Benadry. I repeated the dose again later yesterday and this morning. It is now 26 hours after the event and her ear - although not as bad as yesterday is still red and swollen. As she is nonverbal and has autism, I cannot ask her how she feels - although she seems in good spirits.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW