Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: CathyB, Female (Patient) Published: December 23

In September 2015 we were on a cruise. The weather was very rough the first couple of days, and I have never suffered with motion sickness until then, so I used wrist bands. I had a fall and badly bruised my kidneys (unsure if a connection). I saw a general physician (GP) at home, who was not very helpful. About a week after we returned I started to feel dizzy and lost my balance several times. Then I had a bad fall, hitting my neck and chin, and down my right side on the back of the sofa, and I had blacked out. This GP said I needed to see a neurologist, after performing many tests including blood tests, (waiting list 3 months). I am seeing a nurse practitioner finally, and I was told I had labyrinthitis (it is doing the rounds at the moment), and given medication. This gave me calf pains and symptoms of a blood clot. I am now waiting to see if there is one (I have past history also of clots). I suffered 2 bouts of labyrinthitis in the past, but never actually falling; just lurching, or losing consciousness. I wonder if there is a stress related connection, as in all three bouts, there has been extreme stress.

Comment from: CathyB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Further to my last posting, I have been told there is a small chance I had a clot developing, but no treatment given as I had stopped the medication. After that I had to see the general physician because of a recurrence of chronic bronchitis, and he said my dizziness is due to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (not labyrinthitis). I am still waiting to see the neurologist in February, only 3 more weeks until I may finally get some answers! I also was diagnosed with primary empty sella syndrome a couple of years ago, and wonder if there is a connection.

Medically reviewed by Peter O’Connor, MD; American Board of Otolaryngology with subspecialty in Sleep Medicine

REFERENCE:

Barton, Jason JS, MD, PhD, FRCPC. "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo." UptoDate.com. Updated Jan 8, 2016.