Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: R Samanta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Last year I was diagnosed with benign positional vertigo in the last week of September. My appointed doctor performed the maneuver. I was fine for a few days. But as days passed I started feeling dizzy and uncomfortable. My head often started spinning at intervals. I did not pay much attention to it at first. But since the last few weeks the dizziness and drowsiness has increased. I start to sweat when my head starts spinning and an unknown discomfort is felt inside my head. I am tired of these daily things.

Comment from: S.B Perth, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

One Sunday night as I was getting into bed, I got a major case of the head spins when I lay back with my head to the left. The next night I had the same thing happen but more violently. This continued every night as well as when I looked up at the ceiling at any time. I recall during the day of the first head spinning episode, I had been at the beach and had been diving off a pontoon into the ocean and doing a somersault as I entered the water. I had done this hundreds of times before. After doing some research and figuring out that I didn't have a brain tumor, I realized that I most likely had a case of BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). I researched further and read about self-performing the Epley maneuver. After having head spins every time I lay down or looked up for about 4 weeks, I decided to give the Epley maneuver a go myself. I did exactly as the instructions said, the whole process taking about 2 minutes. I did it before I went to work in the morning so I could stay upright for as long as possible that day before lying down again. It worked first time! My vertigo was gone. That was about 4 weeks back and I have not had the slightest hint of any head spins since. I have even been for surfing lessons and been tumbled around in the waves with no re occurrence. If you have BPPV then you must try this at home yourself. It is only a couple of minutes of bad head spins you have to put up with. Better than weeks or months of it!

Comment from: Marsha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

When I was 46 I woke up at 3 am on my left side, looking up. The room was spinning. I moved to my right side in a fetal position until I felt better. I woke my husband. I said I thought I had a stroke. We sat outside until I felt better. I went to the emergency room the next morning. They diagnosed me with vertigo. I did not have another episode until I was 62. I was swimming (elementary backstroke) in a pool. I did not concentrate. I swam into the end of the pool, hit my head, and immediately got vertigo. I have been to an ENT, also physical therapist. They worked with me for 3 weeks. It got better. I still have vertigo almost every day, if I look up just a little. I have been having scans for an unrelated health issue. I am having a PET scan next week. I will have to look straight up while I am on my back. My primary care physician has given me patches for motion sickness and 2 Valium. I am very anxious. The last time I had a scan I got vertigo, yelled, and cried. It is awful.

Comment from: RHeflin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I went to work fine, went to bed that night and vertigo hit me about 12 am. I woke up spinning terribly, and had nausea, diarrhea, and hot/cold chills. Two weeks prior to this I had been extremely tired, like I could close my eyes and be asleep. My husband had to call 911. I went to hospital, they gave me Zofran for the nausea. It helped while I was there. They took blood work, also did a heart test. They told me I caught a virus and sent me home. It is 2 weeks later and I am still having dizzy spells, followed with stomach aches, and tiredness. Followed up with the primary care physician and she diagnosed me with BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). However she did no tests so I am not sure how I got the diagnosis. She gave me meclizine for the dizziness. I have also had stomach aches through this whole ordeal, and haven't been wanting to eat either. I feel like I am going to have to see another doctor for second opinion because I just can't continue like this, it is terrible. It has affected my work and personal life terribly.

Comment from: Thess, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I was diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). I was given an exercise to do but I just can't. I do it on my right side, and I am fine, but if I do it left side down, the spins get so bad I throw up, lose vision and heave, and I am never able to finish that exercise. It is like being a light-weight drinker, but having a full 12; then trying to fly a plane. It is ridiculous.

Comment from: val, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have just recently had benign positional vertigo start. I don't know why it is only at night. I have looked it up but can find no established connection with melatonin yet.

Comment from: Mel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I've had benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) for 4 years. I have an appointment in 2 weeks' time. It makes my eyes very tired, when they keep moving.

Comment from: Carolyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had the Epley maneuver done by an ENT and by a chiropractor a total of 6 times. It made me very sick. I had to stay in bed with vomiting and dry heaves for over 24 hours every time. It was worse than the BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) and never helped me at all!

Comment from: jchris, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I seem to follow a pattern described in several comments. I got up about 3:00AM to go to the bathroom, staggered and almost fell to the floor before falling back on the bed. After resting a few seconds I was able to get back to my business. The following morning I felt drained but went about doing some things outside. While trimming a tall shrub I needed to look up and became so dizzy I had to stop. I went on for a couple of days with the dizziness returning periodically; it would not go away completely. Three days later I attempted to change a shower head and received another severe shot of the dizziness. I stopped and called my excellent PCP who worked me into his busy schedule that same afternoon. He was very familiar with my overall health situation but asked several questions and carefully examined my eyes, ears, nose throat BP, etc. He then performed the Epley Maneuver. He first had me lie on my left side and look toward the ceiling and nothing happened. We then repeated the maneuver on the right side and all hell broke loose. I felt like I had been put on a top and someone pulled the string. I was holding on to anything I could reach and my doctor was holding on and telling me to bear with it a few seconds. He then proclaimed that I was suffering from BPV and explained as much as he knew about the condition. He hoped the Epley Maneuver would cure the condition completely but that I should feel at least 50% better. He gave me some exercises called Brandt-Daroff to do at home in a set of five repeated twice daily. He also prescribed Meclizine but I can't tell that it helps any. When I do the Brandt-Daroff exercises there is no sensation at all on the left side. When I am on my right side the spinning recurs but not as severely as with the Epley Maneuver. After one week of the exercises I sense an improvement in severity of spinning while exercising. After completing the exercises, I feel completely drained with a subdued feeling of motion sickness. My case is obviously less severe than many of those described in the viewer comments. I have been fortunate not to have suffered severe nausea and vomiting although coming close a few times.

Comment from: BPV Sufferer, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I woke up at 3 in the night with severe dizziness, lots of sweating and nausea. It scared the hell out of me. After going to the hospital and having a battery of tests done from MRI to CT to a Heart Echo , I was finally told I have BPV. It's been 5 days since I left the hospital and I still have some dizziness in the mornings which gets better as the day progresses. I have been prescribed Vertin 16 to help with the dizziness and it does help to some extent. I hope this dizziness goes away soon.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

Three months ago, I woke up with my head spinning whenever I turned my head to either side. Of course, it was extremely anxiety-producing, as well as physically debilitating. A friend referred me to a medical practice specializing in dizziness issues. They asked me lots of questions and gave me extensive ear/hearing tests. After all this they diagnosed me as having benign positional vertigo (BPV) and told me that there was a 70% chance that after one day's treatment there in the office I would walk away "cured". They proceeded to administer the Epley Maneuver, which basically consists of having you lie down and then changing the position of your head to "dump" the loose microscopic calcium pieces in your inner ear into less sensitive areas of the inner ear. Unfortunately, I was not in the 70% that responded in the first visit. It took three visits for me (over a one week time period, but the Epley Maneuver finally cleared my dizziness. This "clear" period lasted about 3 months, during which time I returned to all my activities, including intense tennis, surfing and working out in the gym. Last week it came back and I immediately scheduled another appointment with the same physician's assistant who treated me before. I feel a little better the day after my first Epley treatment, but if I were to guess, I think I will have to go back for at least one more treatment. I am confident, however, that it will work again. So there is hope. You just need to find a medical practice that specializes in dizziness.

Comment from: Dezzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I woke up one morning with severe dizziness and actually fell and hit my head because of it. I went to the ER and after doing 3 blood tests was told I had labrynthitis. I went to follow up with my primary doctor who disagreed and said I had BPV. He did an MRI which was normal. But here it is 4 days after symptoms began and I am still spinning and my doctor tells me that people with BPV should not miss work as it really isn't that debilitating. I am on Meclizine for the dizziness and that makes me tired. I am nervous about driving but guess I have no choice but to go back to work. This is very frustrating.

Comment from: Tommie Roe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was diagnosed with BPV back in 1990. I woke up from a sound sleep feeling like my head was spinning 200mph. I had to hold my head in a certain position to keep from spinning and getting sick. It went away on its own after about two weeks. 5 years later it hit me again, this time much worse, couldn't even walk for days. Ironically I ate shrimp the day before, which is what I had for supper the first time I got BPV five years earlier. So obviously it was time for me to avoid shrimp and blame the dizziness on being allergic to shrimp. Well 10 years after giving up shrimp bang! BPV hits me with a vengeance, totally unable to sit-up or walk for days, I would just spin out of control if I moved my head in the wrong direction. Took weeks for it to go away. I guess maybe I'm not allergic to shrimp! My latest bout with BPV was in September of 2009. Same symptoms, violent spinning, uncontrolled eye movement, had to try to avoid certain head positions. It finally went away almost 5 weeks later. If it happens again I'm going to try to find a doctor that knows how to perform the Epley manuver.

Comment from: Janette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I started having dizziness after having a cold and was told it was an ear infection; no medication was required as it would go away by itself, which it did. 3 months later the dizziness came back with a vengeance. I went to seek medical advice, this time I was told I have BPV and was given medication, it eventually went away, a week after stopping medication I was hit with the dizziness again, so bad that I was having the cold sweats and nausea, I went for a CT scan and I am going back for the results today. This condition is so debilitating and I drive 5 days a week as I am a rep on the road so I need to get this under control. I will submit my results of the scan later.

Comment from: Yooper410, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

When I was going on three years old I lost my balance and fell off the outside steps to my house and hit my head on the ground. I spent a week in the hospital. Years later, I had a bad ear infection in my left ear. I first started feeling dizzy when I was around nine years old in school, when students were required to put their heads down on their desks for nap time. I fell asleep and when I woke up and raised my head the whole room seemed like it was moving. I have been suffering from dizziness ever since.

Comment from: jtbob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I learned a procedure from a friend. 1) Sit on a bed with a pillow behind you so that it will be under you shoulders when you lie back. 2)Turn your head away from the edge of the bed, 45 degrees, then lie back on the pillow with your head still turned. Stay for 30 seconds. 3) Turn your head 90 degrees to the opposite side. Hold for 30 seconds. 4) Turn you head further 90 degrees more (so you will be looking down). Stay for 30 seconds. 5) Swing your legs off the bed and sit up gently. For more, repeat the process, reversing the direction on the bed. I was told this will move some crystals in the ear to a location that will remove the problem. It works wonderfully well for me, often removing the symptoms the first one or two treatments. They told to do it three times a day for a few days, if needed. Then periodically as needed.

Comment from: Gloria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had episodes of BPPV for the past eight months. I have seen a neurologist and an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist. I was given Valium and told to do the Epley maneuver exercises. I seem to have it often and without warning. I wish there was something that would work permanently.

Comment from: Auntie B., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I woke up one morning feeling my bed spinning. When I tried to get out of the bed it seemed as though the bed turned on it's side and I was about to fall off. I was groping onto the bed linen until I finally slid to the floor. My son found me and thought that I had fallen. The ER Doctor has instructed me to take the Meclizine pills 25 mg three times a say for a few days then maintain as needed. I was hoping at first that it was only a one time thing But, it seems to be a new diagnosis to be added to my already lengthy list.

Comment from: Hradcany, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My vertigo appeared quite suddenly and was most intense. When I went to the doctor a day later, she performed some maneuvers on my head and gave me the Epley maneuvers to do at home. I have just begun treatment today. From my reading of the information on this and other sites, I assume the vertigo will be eliminated within a week or so. I suspect part of the cause may be that I am on an aspirin-a-day regimen for my heart.

Comment from: JohnM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

As a result of a bicycle crash where I went head over heels and was thrown to the pavement (no injuries), I had been getting severe dizzy spells when I would look up mostly. This went on for ten years, until I went to a physical therapist who, after examining and interviewing me, laid me down on a bed with my head dangling off one end facing to the left, and had me turn my head and then body to the right, so that my head effectively turned 180 degrees (at least). She did both sides and the problem went away.

Comment from: Weezie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I experienced an overwhelming dizziness after doing 'downward dog' in yoga class. It did subside after a long 30 seconds but the next day I was dizzy. The doctor had me lay down on the table and held my head, turned it to the left 45 degrees which sparked the overwhelming dizziness again. She repeated it on the right but nothing happened. With the BPV diagnosis, she suggested doing the Epley maneuver at home 3 times a day. It has worked! A week later I am much better but continue to do the Epley to avoid any more vertigo.

Comment from: typist90, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was at work on last year when the first symptoms of vertigo hit me. I was just sitting there, answering the phone, when suddenly the whole world starts spinning. I actually tried to keep answering the phones, figuring it would go away in a few seconds. It didn't. It got worse and worse, and they had to take me away from work in an ambulance. The ER doc thought I was hamming it up for my family (long story there), but I was admitted overnight and they did a bunch of tests. No one even said the word vertigo. The doc said I could go back to work the day after, but I missed a week of work because my boss wouldn't let me come back until I stopped walking into walls and could stand up straight. It took that long to get my doc to send me to a physical therapist who finally told me what was wrong and showed me a maneuver that kind of helped. I'm still off balance all the time, but I can fake it. I've had a couple of episodes since then, one of them just last night while I was sitting in class. They tell you not to drive in case the symptoms come back, but how are you supposed to live like that? I made it home and did the exercise, but I'm home today because I'm exhausted and still too dizzy. I did the exercise again this morning and am going to do it again this afternoon and tonight, and plan on going to work tomorrow, but we'll see. I don't like to take the meds because I'm already on meds for hypertension, allergies and stomach issues--too many pills! It doesn't help that some of the people at my work don't think it's a real medical issue. One of the execs actually told me to sit calmly and say the alphabet backwards and the symptoms would go away. I've learned to just ignore people like that and forums like this help, because I've been able to see that I'm not alone, that people from all walks of life have this problem, and I'm not a crybaby. If there are any developments, I'll be back.

Comment from: vet81, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I was working in the yard. When I stood up, everything seems to be on a slight delay of movement and focus. I thought I needed to rest for a moment, so I went inside and sat down on the couch and then the spinning came on. I had just had a complete physical two weeks before, and everything was fine. I'm not on any medication and I don't have any ailments. This would go on in short periods throughout the day. After eight hours of sleeps, I figured I had enough rest and all would be well. I felt good most of the morning, then it came on again. I made a doctor's appointment, where he did a few tests for BPV. My head was so light the second day, I was told to rest, and that if it didn't go away, I would be referred elsewhere. Reading other comments helps me understand what I'm going through.

Comment from: Erlynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I first suffered my first attack of BPV about five years ago after going for a long bike ride. I was fine at first, but when I went to bed, I still felt like I was pedaling a bike. I then woke at three in the morning in a sweat with the room spinning. I was nauseated, but not sick. At first, I was told that I had an ear infection and to be patient, as it would pass in a few days. It did not pass in a few days, and I returned to the doctor, where I was referred to an ENT specialist. This is where they told me I had BPV and they also told me that they may be able to cure me.

Comment from: Shirlgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I went to see my PCP and she confirmed that I had vertigo and prescribed some anti-dizziness meds. She did not tell me that I had BPV. I couldn't drive for about a week. My vertigo lasted about a month. My doctor also did not inform me that vertigo might come back. It did, but not as severe. Needless to say I have a new PCP and when I told him my symptoms, he immediately said BPV. I am sticking with this guy. He gave me some exercises to help.

Comment from: Nurse L, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I woke up at 3am with the room spinning about 10days ago. It kind of scared me and I lay still thinking it would go away. I rolled side to side over a 45 minute period and then it hit me worse and the room would not stop spinning. I woke my boyfriend up because I thought I was going to vomit when I tried to get out of bed. I just fell to the floor and had dry heaves. I am a nurse and work in a doctor's office. I called in to work. I made an appointment for 1pm. I vomited 2 separate times that morning and got nauseated every time I got out of bed. I have never been so sick without be sick. The doctor performed a test and reproduced the spinning sensation. He determined I had BPV. He gave me some medications to use and told me how to do the Epley maneuver at home. I did this for 5 days in a row, now this evening as I was doing some exercise the spinning sensation came back. This is miserable.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I woke up one morning, head spinning like crazy when I tried to sit up. I calmed down after a few minutes. After five days of this thought I better see the doctor. As I described the symptoms, he had a knowing smile on his face. Got me to lie down on the couch and moved my head and body in various directions (what I now know as the Epley maneuver). Boy did my head spin when he did that! He said 75% chance he'd cured it, if not come back and he'll do it again raising chance of cure to 90%. Next morning no dizziness, a month on now and, touch wood, it seems I'm cured. I'm concerned to read reports on here about recurrent bouts, and I hope I don't get it again. If I do I'm straight down to the doctor to Epley me!

Comment from: arien, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with BPV last month. I woke up one morning, only to faint immediately. I was admitted to the hospital, during which period I would faint nearly 20 times a day when I tried to sit up after lying horizontally. The doctors said I have BPV after going through my case history. Yes, I went through the same torture that all other patients have gone through, such as the feeling that you are falling from a great height. And the dizziness is downright terrifying. It's been a month now, and I still have good days and bad days.

Comment from: beema, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I've had BPV for about six years now and have just had the worst bout ever as I couldn't turn my head either way whilst lying down without spinning at 200 mph. I therefore had no alternative but to lie in bed well propped up, with a neck pillow, a pillow under my legs and a pillow under each arm and have never found so much comfort in bed, and best of all I do not turn or move once and I am hoping that this will help deter another onset of BPV. I am also a heavy snorer and although my doctor says this has nothing to do with BPV, I have my doubts as like others, a trip to the dentist and the vibration of the drill set the spinning off and I was not at that time having an attack, so am going to have surgery for the snoring, adopt my new bed lifestyle and hope for the best because as we all know on this site it is truly horrible to suffer with this.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I've had BPV since I was 30. I woke up from a dream that I was spinning and was. I could not walk, it is the scariest thing. I have RA and would rather have that than the BPV any day. My episodes never went away 100%. It probably took over a year. I can say, however, I do everything to avoid head movements that bring it on, sleep with 2 pillows; I always tell dentists, hair stylist, surgeons, etc, that they HAVE TO KEEP MY HEAD UP OR DONT WORK WITH ME!!! That's it folks, if they won't, don't use them. They don't understand the condition; they just think its regular vertigo. I have not had an episode in YEARS......Yes, it can stay away if you do the right things. I also have 2 great ENTs close by who do the Epley if I need it. That really works if you get the right Dr. If you are in South Florida, Dr. Li, in Palm Beach Gardens is great. Good luck to everyone and you can get rid of it and live a wonderful life.....

Comment from: duncan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have BPV and have found tremendous relief with a competent physical therapist that performs the Epley Manuver. I have had recurrent bouts and each time I am treated, I am symptom free for periods of up to 6 months or a year. I do not take medication for the vertigo but rather rely on the repositioning techniques she uses. I can't say what brings the positional vertigo on, but when I first experience the dizziness in response to a change in head position, I schedule an appt. I was very lucky to have been referred to a physical therapist that specializes in this by my doctor. There is hope...find a competent physical therapist trained in the Epley Manuver.

Comment from: dizzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

Today I have been diagnosed as having benign positional vertigo, I have been dizzy for about 6 wks. I have to hold on to the wall or shower for stability; when I move in any direction I feel dizzy, even in the middle of the night when I return to my bed after going to the bathroom. I thought this was strange as I can feel the dizziness even with my eyes closed. I have to go back to my ENT specialist in 2 wks for some exercises that are supposed to help. Taking meclizine did not help at all.

Comment from: Louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had no forewarning, no head injury or illness. Just walked in the house and felt off balance and dizzy. Thought it was sinuses. Got worse by the weekend and went to walk-in clinic. Doc said I had Labyrinthitis and gave me meds. After 4 days, I felt worse. I went to an ENT specialist. He said I had Benign Positional Vertigo and sent me to a physical therapist. After doing tests on me, she said I had vestibular nerve impairment. I am now going for PT treatments with her and doing head and walking exercises at home 3 times a day. Not on any meds. I THINK I am feeling somewhat better, but not totally un-dizzy yet. It has now been 13 days since my first dizzy spell. I am hopeful with this therapist.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had positional vertigo for 22 years and have flare-ups that generally last a week or a few days. I use valium to calm the spinning. When I walk regularly and drink lots of water the symptoms get better. Also, resting on my left side helps but any turn to the right can bring on the spinning and dizziness. I also get a feeling of stuffiness in my left ear. I have tried the exercises in which you dangle your head off the bed to bring on the symptoms but they cause so much anxiety that I don't regularly do them. I am resigned to live with this the rest of my life.

Comment from: dizzy in michigan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Ii came down with vertigo in the 1980s and I'm still affected by it. I hate it. I live on Dramamine. The first time it happened, I could do nothing for 9 months. I went to three specialists who could not find nothing wrong, so they said it was BPV. I haven't found much help, and I have done everything there is to do.

Comment from: michigandiver, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I woke up with left frontal sinus ache, nausea, sweats, vomiting. Went to emergency room at local hospital and I told doctor I thought I had an inner ear disorder due to feeling of falling over. The ER said it was reflect migraine and I needed to be on a beta blocker. Sent home, symptoms worsened, went to different hospital. E.R., young female Dr. said I had "Benign Positional Vertigo" prescribed valium and an anti-vertigo medication, and symptoms started to subside. There are competent and incompetent doctors, hope anyone that gets BPV gets one like my second one. Don't let some arrogant-can-never-be-wrong doctor tell you what is wrong with you when you know he/she is WRONG!

Comment from: William V, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I was just diagnosed with BPV, after 4 days of frustrating lightheadedness. I have never experienced the constant dizziness, but I am thrilled that there is nothing such as a brain tumor going on (still counting my blessings). I am in high hopes that this will be a short-lived spell.

Comment from: shaking head, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

Back in 2004 I felt something happening to me and I ended up flat on my back with the room spinning around. It was the scariest experience I've ever had. I was hospitalized for three days. Another two weeks off work and I was able to get back and bash into walls etc. I have never been the same since. I keep getting told that it's a self-correcting thing. They could have fooled me. I tried a modern jive dance last night and I'm still suffering the consequences today. I can't do anything that will remotely turn me around. I can't climb ladders anymore. I don't think doctors actually know what to do about it. I gave up and just accepted that I have to put up with it for the rest of my life.

Comment from: AgilityDogMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I was diagnosed with BPV (benign positional vertigo) after suddenly waking with severe, constant dizziness. There were no other prior illnesses or head injuries that lead to this, although I did suffer from minor (10-20 seconds) bouts of vertigo for years. Luckily, I had no other symptoms beyond the severe dizziness (and subsequent nausea) so my diagnosis was easy. I was given medication and that helped the nausea considerably. I am now doing the exercises mentioned in this article, and those seem to help the dizziness. I never realized how debilitating vertigo could be, but it really knocked me out. It may seem weak to say I suffer from vertigo (dizziness), but if you have it, you know how bad it can be. You can't even sit up, much less stand and walk and function properly. If you have it, get help... It can be so easy to control.

Comment from: weemon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

After having a bout with the pandemic H1N1 or swine influenza virus, I was told that I had a related viral inner ear infection which was causing my vertigo condition. It's awful to say the least. I am still undergoing treatment for the infection. I can't walk or drive and I drive for a living!

Comment from: dizzydaisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Have had repeated attacks, which I dread, over the past 12 years, some so severe they required hospital treatment for IV medication and rehydration. This is one of the most debilitating conditions I can think of. I have been unable to determine a cause after seeing several specialists and having many tests, scans etc. I have been told to learn to live with it as it is not fatal. At present, I have little episodes from time to time which, makes life very difficult.

Comment from: Lynn L, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was teaching a music student when I go severely dizzy. I had had this 6 months to a year ago when I awoke dizzy, made it downstairs but then got very sick to my stomach. The symptoms went away by the next day and I forgot about it. This time, I got very sick again and had to be taken home. I was vomiting so much I got exhausted and called an ambulance. They gave me an IV, oxygen and at the hospital, Meclizine and Adavan, an EKG and a cat scan. The next day a physical therapist tried a maneuver where I had to hang my head over the edge of the bed. I rested once I got home for a few days. Since then I have taken the Meclizine 1/2 tab occasionally and had just a few little dizzy spells.

• Benign Positional Vertigo - Exercises

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo?

Post View 15 Comments
  • Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Post View 23 Comments
  • Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?

Post View 2 Comments

Medically reviewed by Peter O’Connor, MD; American Board of Otolaryngology with subspecialty in Sleep Medicine

REFERENCE:

Barton, Jason JS, MD, PhD, FRCPC. "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo." UptoDate.com. Updated Jan 8, 2016.