Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

What exercises helped with your benign positional vertigo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: angel of mercy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Ten years ago, I got up to go to the bathroom. As I was coming down the steps, I felt dizzy. By the time I got to the kitchen, I was thrown around like a rag doll, no balance, and then the vomiting started. I threw up from 5 am to 2 pm, when my husband said it was time to go to the emergency room. The doctor said I was so dehydrated, so gave me IV with medicine for nausea, and fluids. Then he gave medicines for dizziness, which didn't do a thing. He told me to see an ENT doctor, who gave me meclizine, which did not help. He cleaned my ears, did a hearing test, and sent me for brain scan to rule out things. He told me to keep taking the drugs, as I could not function. My daughter, who is a physical therapist, suggested a vestibular therapist. She saved me. She gave me the exercises to do at home. I was better in a week. She said once you are diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), you never get rid of it, but know how to handle it. I am having it this week. So, there is hope. See a therapist.

Comment from: Verklempft, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

On 10/21/2015 I had just put toddlers down for naps and lay down to nap also while singing. I looked over at the 17 month old which was down/left from my supine position and had severe spinning, nausea, and what I now know was eye twitching. I learned that day from a friend about benign positional vertigo which was resolved with exercises. I called his doctor and was facing a USD 1000 visit, so googled the subject and found several videos with various maneuvers. I was able to trigger the vertigo by lying on back with head hanging and turning to left. Turning to right I have no vertigo or eye twitch. I went ahead and did self Epley on left but failed to stay upright for the day. Today (day after self-treatment) I had a bout of vertigo while feeding kids lunch but cannot cause any spinning with positioning my head as before. I feel much better but kind of hungover, like tired and fuzzy. If symptoms last will absolutely see the dizziness doctor to rule out serious illness.

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I have had benign positional vertigo for 6 weeks now, at first on the left side. I saw an ENT doctor, did the Epley maneuver, and I felt better for a few days, and then much worse. I went back as now I had it on the right side. I did the Epley maneuver, but was not better. I tried again several more times at home for two weeks, still no better. I went back to the doctor, he did the Epley again, and said if I am not better in 3 days, he will send me to physical therapy. I am getting very frustrated.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I found a physio who did Brandt/Daroff and gave me a couple of exercises. The improvement was slow, so back to the doctor I went. I saw a specialist, had an MRI, but nothing showed up. I still have trouble and I'm totally frustrated.

Comment from: Soulmates, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am an ER nurse in my 50s. I've had this for the first time a year ago and I have had dozens of patients with it. It was a miserable two weeks until it resolved the first time. Since then I researched topic and discovered Epley maneuvers. My husband watched a couple of you tube videos and then put me through Epley which had almost a 90% success rate. During the movements my brain felt like it was spinning around in my skull and it was very disorienting. Since then (4 hours) I have kept my head level and remained upright on pillows. It is amazing! I feel a little sore and dizzy, but I am able to walk around slowly and even ate dinner (without looking downward). This maneuver has cut days to weeks off recovery time.

Comment from: lpershern, 55-64 Female Published: April 01

I have had several recurrences of BPV since I was 40 and I am now 61. The only thing that helps is doing the Epley Maneuvers.

Comment from: dashmini, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I developed positional vertigo after my head (wearing a helmet!) hit the pavement in a biking accident. I found that the first time I got the Epley treatment, it took several rounds. Since then, if I have a flare-up a single treatment usually does the trick.

I did the Epley maneuver for two days and was able to wake up without symptoms.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

The self-treatment for benign positional vertigo (Epley treatment) was shown to me by my doctor. It reduced the dizziness by at least 50%. I was able to find a printout of the directions by Googling "self-treatment for benign positional vertigo."

Physical therapy helped in my case.

Comment from: Ms. CJHAZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was just diagnosed today. I have been suffering from bouts of "dizziness" for about 3 years now. I had a pretty good head injury due to a car wreck with a drunk a driver. Occasionally I will have a "dizzy spell" sitting at my desk or just standing. Today was the first time I missed work because of it and the nausea was kind of overwhelming. While I am not thrilled at the idea that BPPV is something I am going to have for life, I am very glad that it is not a stroke! He did the Epley Maneuver and I am feeling slightly better.

Comment from: Beebee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I do some Epley maneuvers until the vertigo subsides to less than 30 seconds. I then avoid rolling over in bed or lying flat. I do my best to keep my head faced forward and not move it much at all.

Comment from: Irwin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Since my initial attack 6 years ago which was so severe I was hospitalized for 3 days, subsequent attacks have been relatively minor. I have found the best thing to do when I get dizzy is to hold my head steady (in whatever position I am in) and stare at a fixed point on the wall or ceiling. The dizziness usually goes away in a matter of a few seconds.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Performing the Epley Maneuver will relieve the vertigo symptoms 95% of the time for me. Also, I have learned to avoid certain movements that will trigger vertigo.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I sometimes find a very small amount of magnesium taken at bedtime helps by the morning.

• Benign Positional Vertigo - Diagnosis and Treatment

How was your benign positional vertigo diagnosed and treated?

Post View 42 Comments
  • Benign Positional Vertigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with benign positional vertigo.

Post View 23 Comments
  • Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your benign paroxysmal vertigo?

Post View 2 Comments

Medically reviewed by Peter O’Connor, MD; American Board of Otolaryngology with subspecialty in Sleep Medicine

REFERENCE:

Barton, Jason JS, MD, PhD, FRCPC. "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo." UptoDate.com. Updated Jan 8, 2016.