Viewer Comments: Bird Flu - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bird Flu (Avian Influenza):

Bird Flu - Symptoms

Please describe your experience with bird flu symptoms

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I lived on Maui and I strongly believe I had bird flu. It started after the island had an earthquake. In the next few days I became sick. For two days I was vomiting and had a fever. The throwing up stopped because I had nothing to throw up anymore. After that I had body aches, chills, and jaw clenching, I was literally chewing on a wet wash cloth. I was coughing on and on and could not sleep lying down until I was so exhausted I would pass out. I was very weak, I could not eat solid foods; I tried, I just couldn't. I literally survived on water and those emergency mix packets. I was sick for over a week and went to a walk-in clinic, no insurance, so they told me take NyQuil and I should be getting better. I tried to tell them I was dying, I'd never felt like this in my life. They just ignored me. I was ready to be admitted to a hospital just to get IV fluids, something was just wrong! Another week went by and I was not improving, I was getting worse. When I would breathe I could hear and feel my lungs popping and I thought pneumonia! I went back to the clinic and they saw I was not improving and listened to my lungs and oxygen saturation was way low! They gave me an inhaler and said to take Mucinex! I coughed up fluid and what not for at least another 2 weeks. I was so weak, was able to eat soup, but not much else. I had lost 20 pounds in the month and a half I was sick. It was awful, and the whole time no one believed I was that sick! I thought I was going to die!

Must Read Articles Related to Bird Flu

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever...learn more >>
Fever in Children
Fever in Children Fever is defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4 F or 38 C. Fever isn't life-threatening unless it is persistently high -- greater than a 107 F rectal temper...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bird Flu (Avian Influenza):

Bird Flu - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a bird flu disease?