Black Eye: Causes, Stages, Symptoms, Treatment, and Healing Time

Please describe your experience with black eye. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: aprilmoon, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

l tripped on the curb, fell, and hit my cheek and forehead on the left side of my face. I had a scrape on my forehead with surface bleeding, possible broken finger in my left hand, swollen, bruised and scraped knee, and a small bruise on the left shoulder joint... no injury. Fire rescue came, I refused emergency medical technicians (EMTs) or hospitals and ambulance. Fire rescue checked blood pressure and my oxygen saturation on my request, both normal, no dizziness and no double vision. Now on 5/27, 1:42 am, left black eye has set in, no blood or fluid. I am 80 years old and feeling strong.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 31

I fell over, the curb hit my head over the top of my eyebrow and lower cheek, and gave me a black eye.

Comment from: happypami, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I fell and skinned my arm and hit my head on pavement. I had a large knot on my head just above my temple. I was wearing my glasses at the time I fell. Strangely my eye did not start to blacken until four days after the injury. By the fifth day my eye was entirely black. It is not swollen just very black all around the eye.

Comment from: redwow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I am in good health. I do take Pradaxa because of my age. One of my eyes turned black (as in a shiner)! It went away after a week. I did nothing to cause it. Today, I have a black eye again.

SLIDESHOW