DVT (Blood Clot in the Leg, Deep Vein Thrombosis)

Please share your experience with deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: PerkyPenguin, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 22

A few weeks ago I was out walking and was suddenly taken seriously short of breath. I struggled home and went to the local Urgent Care Centre. I was admitted to the hospital and stayed in 2 nights. I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism that moved from right leg to left lung. I was given medication (apixaban to thin the blood and bisoprolol fumarate) and all symptoms are gone. I am breathing and waking normally. Right leg is still swollen 3 weeks later from the deep vein thrombosis and no treatment other than to keep it elevated and keep walking.

Comment from: sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a blood clot in my upper leg area last summer. After 6 months on Xarelto it was gone, but I recently had stomach surgery and now have phlebitis in the top of my right leg next to my knee and in the same leg as the deep vein thrombosis (DVT). I was told to take Motrin several times a day, but it scares me, I do not want to start bleeding again.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My husband found out the he has a blood clot in his leg and all the doctor says is to take Coumadin. I wish we knew how else to get rid of the deep vein thrombosis.

Bauer, K.A., MD. "Approach to the diagnosis and therapy of lower extremity deep vein thrombosis." Updated July 15, 2014.
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/approach-to-the-diagnosis-and-therapy-of-lower-extremity-deep-vein-thrombosis>

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Venous Thromboembolism. (Blood Clots).

FDA Prescribing Information. SAVAYSA™ (edoxaban).
<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2015/206316lbl.pdf>

FDA Prescribing Information. ARIXTRA® (fondaparinux sodium) infection.
<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/021345s010lbl.pdf>

Dentali, F., et al. "Pulmonary embolism severity index accurately predicts long-term mortality rate in patients hospitalized for acute pulmonary embolism." Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis . 11.12 (2013): 2103-2120.

Litzendorf, M. E. and B Satiani. "Superficial venous thrombosis: disease progression and evolving treatment approaches." Vascular Health and Risk Management. 7 (2011): 569-575.

Lucena, J., et al. "Pulmonary embolism and sudden-unexpected death: prospective study on 2477 forensic autopsies performed at the Institute of Legal Medicine in Seville." Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine. 16.4 (2009): 196-201.

MedlinePlus. Deep Vein Thrombosis. Thompson, B.T., MD. "Overview of acute pulmonary embolism in adults." Updated: Aug 08, 2016.
<http://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-acute-pulmonary-embolism-in-adults>