Brain Cancer

What is the prognosis for your brain cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Widow, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

It was just 138 days from diagnosis to death! My healthy 61 year old husband, never sick in 30 years of marriage other than a yearly cold, had a focal seizure. Scan showed primary grade 4 malignant brain tumor! Surgery on brain couldn't get it all (parietal lobe), so he had 21 daily treatments out of town for chemotherapy pill, then radiation which brought on vomiting. He has unbalanced walk, sleepless nights and headaches. There were many ambulance rides to local emergency room. Scan taken on November 3rd showed excessive swelling and spreading of disease. Stopped treatments went into palliative care, the tumor never spread outside of his brain but that tumor took over. He couldn't walk, speak or feed himself. Wasted away in front of us. How could this happen so quickly! He was a husband, father and grandpa; he never had a chance! No symptoms; hard to accept. Just 138 days, less than 5 months. We are lost.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I started with hydrocephalus. I had surgery for a bypass for spinal fluid that built up in my third ventricle caused by a 4th stage tumor growth. Removing the tumor that caused the hydrocephalus was not possible. I'm about to start on chemotherapy and radiation treatment at a cancer treatment center. Risk factors are being taken into consideration. But I want to live longer than the 5 years if left untreated.

Comment from: Cheri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I first had an oligodendroglioma brain tumor removed in 1987. I had a recurrent tumor removed in 2012. It was stage III and very aggressive. My first time, I had no symptoms except a single grand mal seizure during one night while sleeping. The second time I kept having TIAs and my family doctor just kept prescribing large doses of Coumadin which made me feel worse. I found my neurosurgeon, who finally was able to help with surgery. Now I have fluid on my brain with mass effect. Nobody believes me when I tell them how bad I feel right now. I just want to be normal again.

Comment from: Kt777, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am a 54 year-old female. I have been in excellent health my whole life. A few years ago I lost my sense of smell. When I was 52 I lost 75% of my vision in two months. I was told I needed glasses but was misdiagnosed. A doctor gave me an MRI and it revealed a giant (7cm) meningioma brain tumor that was stretching my optic nerves out and encasing my carotid arteries. I was told by a neurosurgeon that if I did not have surgery immediately I would be blind and crippled within six months. I had surgery and got my sight back and I was not crippled. My tumor was benign. I am very lucky to have had such excellent doctors. Please, please if any of you are having loss of smell or vision go get an MRI. I am very lucky I did not drop dead.

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

In Sept 1998 I was diagnosed with a malignant tumor in my right temporal lobe. I received many devastating prognoses. Some docs said 6 months, some 1 year. After surgery, the radiologist called it an anaplastic astrocytoma and the surgeon said I had 8-10 years to live. Shortly after that, the Cancer Institute in my area disagreed and called it a glioblastoma multiforme, and considering that I was 35 and in otherwise excellent health, gave me a 2-4 year prognosis. I then did radiation and chemotherapy. In September 2012 it will be 14 years without a recurrence.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

In 2006 my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a mastectomy to her right breast and was treated with chemotherapy for 2 years. All went well. Then in 2010 she had a pain in her left hand, ribs, and she went to the doctors and he said that she had fractured a rib. Four weeks had passed but the pain was still there. The doctor sent her to the hospital for a scan and it revealed that cancer had spread to her bones. It also showed on the scan that cancer spread to her lungs, liver, kidneys. They gave her chemotherapy for six months. She had another scan, and this showed that the cancer had spread to her brain. They gave her radiotherapy, but none of it worked and was discharged from hospital as nothing more could be done. She is now in a hospital bed in the living room at home, with medical treatment everyday. To see your wife go though this is so painful. For a woman who was very active and then is bed ridden, can't speak properly, has black outs, didn't want my wife to go through this. I wished it would all end soon. I don't mean this in a bad way. I mean it as I don't want her to suffer. I feel so sorry for anyone who has to go through this like me and my family have. I will miss my wife very much as we have been married for 34 years all from a blind date. My life will never be the same when she's gone.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I'm a 62 years old female and on March 22, 2011 I had brain surgery to remove a brain tumor on my right side of my brain. My cancer originated in the lung and spread to my head. I never smoked in my life so the shock of stage 4 lung cancer caused me much concern. It's now a year later and I'm still here. I did three rounds of chemo but now I am taking Tarceva. So far so good. However, I do not eat anything with sugar or fake sugars like equal etc. I eat a lot of green vegetables and I use a juicer almost on a daily basis. I am not saying that I am doing the right thing--all I am saying do some research on cancer and nutrition. Stay away from processed food. If you read the label and need a dictionary to understand the ingredients, do not eat it. Good luck to all of us.

Comment from: NotaStatistic, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My husband was diagnosed at the age of 35 with a primary brain tumor. He is now 46, and still works, drives, and is having a good life. Trying to generic prognosis on brain tumors is almost impossible as there are so many factors including: type, location, surgical removal results, general health, viable treatments and attitude! The list goes on and on. I wish I had understood that when I was 30 rather than scaring myself with statistics.

Comment from: vickiv, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 15

My husband had brain tumor surgery in July 2005 with a 1-2 year prognosis. Seven years later, I'm hoping for another seven years with him.

Comment from: darren, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My best friend was admitted to hospital yesterday after suffering terrible headaches. A scan has revieled a tumor the size of a tennis ball. He will have surgery tomorrow morning. It has all been so fast and very emotional. His initial prognosis is he may have 12 to 18 months to live. Hes 44.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I was diagnosed with brain cancer in August. The news was that without treatment I had about 4 months, with treatments, about 12-14 months. This news was devastating I am unable to drive and therefore unable to work because of the seizures. I am unable to be left alone and this is causing problems as I cannot do so many things I used to do.

Comment from: sharon, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My friend was having headaches on and off assumed migraines. The headaches were so bad I took him to the ER. Three hours later, he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Three days later a biopsy was done. Four days later, the news: brain cancer on the left temporal part of his brain.

Comment from: Amanda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have a primary brain tumor and have had three surgeries. I am now out eight years, and am having a great life. My hair is slowly coming back after the radiation. I know now that I must enjoy every day that is granted.

Comment from: Tammy 47, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My husband has brain cancer he has had it for 2 years and has had three surgeries. The tumor is on the back of his head this time and the first two were on the front of his head. The doctor does not know really what to do now and said that my husband is living on borrowed time

Comment from: Deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I am 35, diagnosed originally with breast cancer. Three years on headaches and dizziness for a month, then had two mini-strokes with right hand tingling and travelled to face, lost speech and thankfully returned one hour later. Now I have metastatic brain cancer diagnosed by an MRI, and I have 6-12months to live.

Comment from: Barb, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

My friend has brain cancer and has been to surgery 3 times in the last week. The first time the tumor was removed then the second time was for to "clean up" a bleed, then the 3rd time for yet another clean up and catheter inserted for draining purposes. Prior to all this she had numbness in her left arm then she passed out at the gym. That was only a week and a half ago when the whole nightmare began. Now my friend has almost no use of her left arm and 40% use of her left leg. She talks well and seems very aware of all that is going on.

"2015 CBTRUS Fact Sheet." Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States. <http://www.cbtrus.org/factsheet/
factsheet.html>.

Beasley, K., and S. Toms. "The Molecular Pathobiology of Metastasis to the Brain; a Review." Neurosurg. Clin. North Amer. 22 Jan. 2011: 7-14.

Deltour, I., C. Johansen, A. Auvien, et al. "Time Trends in Brain Tumor Incidence Rates in Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden, 1974-2003." J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 101.24 (2009): 1721-1724.

Huff, J. Stephen. "Brain Neoplasms." Medscape.com. Apr. 8, 2013. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/779664-overview>.

Korley, F., J. Pham, T. Kirsch, et al. "Use of Advanced Radiology During Visits to U.S. Emergency Departments for Injury-Related Conditions, 1998-2007." JAMA 304.13 (2010): 1465-1471.

United States. National Cancer Institute. "Cell Phones and Cancer Risk." May 27, 2016. <http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet>.