Breast Infection

What were the symptoms of your breast infection and what was the treatment? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was sitting watching TV when I suddenly felt a feeling of heat in my right breast. I had had my mammogram two months earlier and it was clear. I am very low risk and have been in the breast screening program since I was 50 years old. I called the health line the next morning. They told me I had to see a doctor within 4 hours. I called my doctor who saw me immediately. My nipple was very red, hot and painful. She could not examine me because of the soreness. She was very concerned. I was prescribed a heavy duty course of antibiotics and told to return in one week. I saw her the following week. The antibiotics had helped but it was still red and sore. She said she could feel a small lump. She sent me for a breast ultra sound the following week and it was determined that I had mastitis. I was surprised to hear that I could have mastitis at my age. It was a relief. It completely cleared up and I have had no reoccurrence.

Comment from: taylor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

In March 2014 my breast became quite painful and very hot. The nipple was enlarged and my breast resembled an overripe tomato. A needle biopsy and a mammogram were done. I was then scheduled for outpatient surgery and the breast, containing a large amount of pus, was drained. The incision was left open to heal naturally. By September I had contracted pneumonia and the breast had filled again. After spending 2 weeks in hospital being treated for pneumonia, my breast was again drained and incision was stitched, leaving just a small ΒΌ inch tube near nipple. The day I left hospital the tube was removed and the area stitched. That incision has never healed and I often find my night clothes and sheets speckled with blood. I have also spent the past 12 months on oral antibiotics. I experience incredible pain that radiates from the breast, under my arm or down my arm and occasionally pain spreads to other breast. I had an ultrasound done last week and fortunately it did not show any masses. The doctor has offered me two choices; admit me to hospital for a series of intramuscular antibiotics or remove the breast. One side effect to all the antibiotics was the fact that numerous teeth crumbled and I was admitted to hospital, put under general anesthesia and 5 teeth removed. As I suffer from COPD general anesthesia is not the best option but we shall see what my doctor says next week.

Comment from: fifisue, 35-44 Female Published: July 30

One morning, I woke up with a very painful breast. I found a very large lump and the area where the lump was located was very sore. The pain became unbearable. I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with mastitis. I was issued a 7-day course of antibiotics and told to come back in a week to ensure there was no lump left. Within a week, the pain was gone, but I was left with a dull ache. I'm okay now, but I urge any woman who suspects she has this condition to try not to panic and to seek medical attention at once.

Comment from: Miss J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I woke up yesterday and had a line from the top of my left breast going down but stopped right before my areola. Now it is red and gone down from swelling. It's a streak and it feels kind of rough like a rash. I wonder what kind of infection that could be.

Comment from: Cherry , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

First time, 3 weeks post operation it looked very red under both breasts, but no pain. He put me on 21 days antibiotics so yesterday was 7 weeks and when I went for a checkup he said my incision on both breast felt soft. I have no pain or fever so he put me back on 2 weeks medicines again.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

In our family, numerous breast issues have been experienced. Presently, someone keeps getting infections in the milk duct areas. They have been treated time and time again. Still flare ups occur.

Comment from: HB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering from mastitis for seven and a half years: since I was 50. For 3 it was unbearable and I could not even sleep lying down, every movement was agony. I was not menopausal but thanks to 3 years of taking depa provera my body thought I was - a few weeks after being told I was well into menopause, my periods returned! I was never prescribed antibiotics for this problem. The best relief I got was from acupuncture and eventually the pain became cyclical and now occurs (and lasts for c 2 weeks) every time I try virtually any physical exercise. I will now insist that my doctor give me antibiotics to see if that will at least alleviate the symptoms.

Comment from: lilmax1956, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Extreme pain and burning in my right breast, leaking out the nipple, warm to the touch, and extremely sore nipple. I was given 100 mil. doxycyclene twice a day for 10 days. This was my 2nd infection in my right breast after having an abscess removed a year ago. I am in menopause and have type II diabetes which is under control.

Comment from: Nightingale, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My 13-year-old daughter came to me yesterday and said that she had a half-dollar size lump under her areola on her left breast and that it was hurting. I thought maybe it was just part of breast development, but when she told me later that night that the skin was red and hot, I got worried. We went to the doctor today and were told that it's an infection. The doctor prescribed Augmentin and outlined the redness. He told us to make sure it didn't get bigger or we'd have to take my daughter in for IV antibiotics. After one pill the redness seems to be diminishing. My lesson was to ask more questions rather than just assume it's puberty with a teenage girl.

Comment from: catnip, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had 2 bouts of right breast mastitis 2 months apart. First time had fever, fatigue, red breast from nipple to halfway up. In hospital for 4 days on antibiotics, went home with clindamycin for 10 days having a reaction to it on the last day of treatment. Returned 2 months later (red breast) but had not progressed to fever or fatigue yet. In hospital for 24hrs and sent home on a course of amoxicillen for 14days. Mammo and ultrasound negative. No apparent cause for infection.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 05

One night my right breast was really sore to the touch and I felt lumps around the breast area and under the nipple I was scared. That same week I went to see my doctor and he told me it was a breast infection so he gave me antibiotics and after two weeks of taking it the symptoms went away.

Comment from: Cor1Pai2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I am a 29 year-old mother of two. I first began to have soreness in my right breast. My first thought was that I might have slept wrong but I knew that wasn't the case when I nursed my 17-month-old daughter from that side. Later in the day, I began to feel like I was getting a cold or the flu. My body began to ache. I noticed it in my hands and wrists at first. I began to feel the aches all over and started to get the chills. My breast by that time was so tender it hurt to go up and down stairs or even wear a seatbelt. I was hot to the touch and when I lifted my shirt in the mirror I could see redness. It looked like a rash of sorts. That's when I decided to go to the doctor. He then prescribed antibiotics.

Comment from: nattiebell, 45-54 Female Published: July 11

The area around my right nipple started becoming painful which I just associated with my menstrual cycle. Over time, I notice a lump near the nipple about the size of pea. The night before my appointment with a breast surgeon, I took a hot shower and while drying off, I notice a leakage from the area. As I pressed down, an enormous amount of pus started draining out from the area (and it was a lot!!!) The surgeon opened the area a little more and packed it with bandage. I had to continue to pack this incision for approximately one week. Since this time, there are times when I notice a small leakage from the side of the right nipple. I've had mammograms every year, and there have been no problems.

Comment from: lorellen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I noticed a red area about the size of a half dollar on my right breast just below the areola. By the end of the day there was a red steak going towards the center of my chest. I went to the doctor the following day and he put me on antibiotics. I was achy and feverish 2 nights in a row. Have been on the meds 4 days and the redness is diminishing but now I feel a hard lump under the skin - almost like a boil. It doesn't hurt. I'm 53 so not I'm breast feeding! I'm going back next week for a follow up.

Comment from: mupish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had mastitis with my first born, and did not take anything for it, though it was pretty mild. I drank a lot of water, rested and used baths/showers, hot pads and cold cabbage leaves. I have had mastitis twice with my second son, and have noticed a pattern in my diet, the more fatty foods or generally unhealthy foods I eat is when the problem occurs. Stress also seems to be a factor. I have not taken antibiotics yet, but if the problems persist I will.

Comment from: laura c, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I started having some symptoms 6 weeks after my delivery. I first developed fever and subsequently discovered an inflammation on my breast. The breast feels warm and itchy inside. I breastfed my baby on one breast because one nipple is more cracked than the other, that was actually the cause of my mastitis. My doctor advised me to keep breastfeeding from both breast equally and also administered Flagyl and ibuprofen I decided to express manually to unclog the pores faster since the content of the breast is thick and gummy. It was a painful experience but I was completely healed after a week and my breast is as good as new.

Comment from: Marcia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I must have what you call chronic mastitis. I am 68 years old and have had chemo and radiation therapy. I am almost done with radiation treatments and all of a sudden I get this horrible swelling of my left breast with pain, redness, and warmth. I had a fever, chills, extreme fatigue, and just didn't feel well at all. I went to the doctor and finally found out that I had mastitis. They put me on an antibiotic and this is my second dose. I am slowly getting better, but it is taking a long time. After two weeks, I still have pain, redness and I am still tired. This is not what I read from the other people who just have a small lump or small mastitis.

Medically reviewed by Wayne Blocker, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology

REFERENCE:

"Common problems of breastfeeding and weaning"
UpToDate.com