Broken Arm

How did you break your arm? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Roceliua Murphy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I fell face down and my arm twisted and broke. I have sharp pain from my elbow to my hand. I wonder how long it should take to heal with cast; I am 66 year old.

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I fell off my hoverboard and dislocated my shoulder and broke my humerus bone. I will never get on one of those things again ever!

Comment from: CerealMaking, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My 12 year old daughter broke her left radius in 3 places making cereal! She went to grab milk and saw the spoon falling so she dived over to go get it. She caught the spoon, but slammed her left arm on the marble countertop and then proceeded to try to catch her fall with it.

Comment from: Sarah P., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My arm was broken by someone throwing a large rock. On the x-ray the bone is totally broken in the first, and now the bones ends don't even touch. I wonder if it should have been reset.

Comment from: Determined, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Body slammed from behind by an overly exuberant dog on 11/26/15. I had nondisplaced fracture in the surgical neck of humerus. I used OTC Motrin first three days, then switched to Tylenol. I am off all medicines as of 12/4. I am making certain I consume at least 80 grams protein each day and taking appropriate supplements to aid the healing process. I can't wait to start physiotherapy so I can get back to 100 percent doing what I love; paddling my sea kayak.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I broke my arm using a pick axe in the yard to get the weeds out of the hard ground.

Comment from: Mjonez6797, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I've had a broken ulna, and my forearm is deformed compared to other arm. I've been to the hospital over 8 times and no treatment. Not having insurance is terrible.

Comment from: gailrooney, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I broke my humerus just below my shoulder playing racket ball with my husband. I hit the wall trying to volley back to him. We are in our middle 70s, so I guess my bones are very brittle, although I don't have osteoporosis.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I broke my humerus from a fall, my first broken bone.

Comment from: bevbradley, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My son fractured his arm by falling off my bed. He was in cast for 3 weeks, and 5 days later he fell and re-broke the same place. I am now being investigated by social services, the first hospital said it couldn't happen by a short fall and the second says it could! Is it so surprising, as he is 10 months old and is at the beginning of an ambulatory stage!

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The daffodil support in my border tripped me up as I was concentrating on 2 things as I approached the grass; I wanted the toilet and I wanted to dispose of the plant food bottle as I had emptied it on a rose. I was not looking at my feet. I broke the radius and ulna by falling heavily on my arm. I pulled myself up on a tuft of grass and entered the house on foot and dialed 999. I may have a wire or plate put in this week.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was walking my dog when she lunged at a Canadian goose alongside the canal where we were walking. She caught me off guard and I was holding so tight to the handle of the leash and the force and direction of her lunge in the opposite direction caused the bone to snap before I hit the ground. I heard it snap and knew I was in trouble. My right humerus was broken and I had a plate and 7 screws inserted in surgery. I am typing with my left hand.

Comment from: auburn blonde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I broke my humerus as I had a dizzy spell in the kitchen.

Comment from: downtown, 55-64 Male Published: February 19

I broke both my arms in an unfortunate accident in 1979. I was 24 and going home after working my shift. My right arm was broken into 100 pieces or so, while my left arm was only broken once, at the radius bone. After casting and release from the hospital, I started to find a new way to live with a sudden handicap. I had trouble with personal hygiene, daily activities in general, as well as extreme pain and depression.

Comment from: susanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I fell off a horse on vacation broke my humerus in two.

Comment from: Sky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I fell on an outstretched palm while cycling.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I broke my arm playing football at school.

Comment from: nanawebb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I fell on a patch of black ice in my parking lot. It was slippery everywhere and I kept falling back down. I am nearly 70 years old and I am overweight, so it was extremely difficult for me to stand, but I crawled to a post and I was able to pull myself up. In the end, I had broken my arm clear in half.

Comment from: Foolish, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

I found out I had a broken arm by finally going to an urgent care facility after three falls within 10 days and all basically in the same position. I don't really know which fall caused the fracture. I have never had a broken bone so I was surprised. The doctor took X-rays and said my ulna was fractured and referred me to an orthopedic facility. I still have not had it treated because it was Friday afternoon and everything was closed for the weekend. I have been concerned because of the length of time since the break. One of the times I fell was while walking down the hall of a hospital and witnesses asked if I wanted to go to the emergency room to get checked out. I said no. I guess I'll live.

Comment from: Write2Inspire, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

While helping my daughter move we were leaning over her claw foot tub while hanging a shower curtain, lost center of gravity and fell into the tub. At least it's a funny story!

Comment from: grace, 55-64 Female Published: September 17

I fell off my bicycle. I am 61. I was trying to get some exercise. I shattered my humerus. And now, here I am, typing with one hand.

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was walking my dog & a pit bull ran at my dog. I tried to trip the pit bull, but it tripped me instead. I fell backwards and broke my lower arm/fractured it. Went to surgery the same day and they put in a plate and screws. It is much better. The pit bull did not bite me or my dog. I feel fortunate it's not worse.

Comment from: daniel.williams30, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I broke my arm in a motorcycle crash. I fractured my left humerus in half. It is 3 weeks out still have terrible pain.

Comment from: kauffman540, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I broke my right arm while in an arm wrestling match with a buddy. It was very painful and required surgery. The pain has gotten much better after three weeks but it's still sore.

Comment from: Hockey lover, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I broke my radius and ulna. Actually I shattered them playing hockey. I have two plates and 15 screws.

Comment from: C/E, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

Hello everybody! I'm from Bulgaria and I'm 47 years old. I broke my left arm in three places! I'm a marine surveyor and during an inspection on board of ship I fell down into the ballast tank. The crew had removed the protective metal cover and had forgotten to mount it in reverse order.

Comment from: TIMTAM, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I broke my arm when I little boy tripped my by accident while we were playing basketball.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I broke my arm when I fell off a large horse.

Comment from: dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I fell down the stairs.

Comment from: puma, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I broke my arm when I tripped on electric blanket cord in February and fell against closet door.

Comment from: sadiecat, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 04

I have a friend that is 70 yrs old and fell and broke her upper arm bone 11-09. Her doctors have told her that they cannot do surgery to set it and it will remain broken from now on. She has a splint on it, but her quality of life has gone down to nothing.

Comment from: pauline jones, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was going to put some leaves in the wheelie bin. The wind very heavy, and as I went to put top down, wind caught me. I fell against the bin and hurt my arm against a very sharp edge. It's broken.

Comment from: nadvo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

Hi I broke my arm six years ago in a car accident. It was nine months no union and because of a heart and clotting issue no surgery was performed. I am now experiencing severe pain and swelling. I'm taking ibuprofen and Vicodin every day.

Comment from: mary58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I broke the neck of the humorous in 3 places when I ran too fast across a busy road and ended up falling at speed into the side of the road. I knew immediately I had broken my arm as I couldn't get up without help. 3 days on I'm in a lot of pain with a foam sling and painkillers. Think it's going to take a long time before I'm healed. Just very frustrated with it all.

Comment from: wellswormer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

I have been in a wheel chair for the last 10 years after having a stroke during a shoulder replacement. I recently fell over backwards after backing downhill while doing some work in the garden. My upper arm cracked just below the shoulder joint the arm is currently supported either a cloth sling ,which I don't care for it has too many internal seams that after several hours of wearing it make sores from pressing on the elbow bone.

Comment from: Diddie, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My son has a steel plate and also nerve damage that has been repaired from prior accidents. Three days ago in fell in the grease pit at work the arm is very messed up now again, he will not go to the hospital is waiting to get in with the doctor that did all the work years ago. He has no insurance but workman's comp has been set up but he is sitting at home waiting for the main doctor to get in touch with the specialist. I am afraid by waiting he will cause more damage to the arm or workman's comp will refuse to pay.

Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

REFERENCE:

Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.