Broken Foot

Please share your experience with a broken foot, for example, how it happened and what the treatment was. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: jkas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

After a tumble in our pool, I had 2 sets of x-rays that showed no breaks in my foot. I walked around for 3 weeks not knowing I had a stress fracture of the first metatarsal. MRI showed that. I was put in a walking boot for 2 weeks, then told I could take it off. Pain and limping continued. After contacting the doctor, I am to wear the boot for 2 more weeks then go to non-weight bearing on crutches. This seems backwards to me. I would rather wear the boot longer and gradually wean out of it.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I slipped in the snow, dislocated my ankle and broke three bones. My husband took me to the hospital where my ankle was scanned. I was operated on for two hours and a plate and pins were inserted. I spent four days in hospital and was non weight bearing. The stitches were removed after two weeks and another cast put on for four weeks that has now been removed, and I have a boot on for six weeks. Once this is taken off I will have physiotherapy. This has been the worst time of my life, no more broken bones for me hopefully!

Comment from: Pamela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 58 and I broke my right foot 7 weeks ago, 5th bone. I have boot but I hate it. I bought special shoe, non-weight bearing, which I wear instead, and don't walk much; just outside or around house. I had x-ray, and it was half healed; I guess another 7 weeks. I have not been eating enough, have no exercise, so worried I would gain a lot of weight. I am depressed, worried will never walk again without problems. I used to walk every day, treadmill and elliptical. I think I should be tested for bone disease. I stepped down from the back door, it is deep step. I told husband it was a hazard, he never fixed. The cat had pushed the bowl in front of the door, I stepped on the bowl and twisted my foot! Seemed like bone shouldn't have broken from this incident! I think insurance should give physical therapist, they try to get out of everything. Rich people are lucky. The crutches they gave me are too big. I only used them at the store, now I never leave my house; too hard to get around.

Comment from: Saz1345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I've broken my fifth metatarsal, about half way down - each site calls it something different! I've been 10 weeks now in a cast then a boot. I am allowed minimal weight bearing. I went to Accident and Emergency (A and E) yesterday because I tripped again and have been told it has done no healing. I am so upset, as I was assured by the consultant it would heal. I'm at a university and I normally work so being off my feet is really disrupting things. The A and E doctor said that because it's displaced 3.7 mm apart I should have had surgery.

Comment from: columbus buck, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I broke my 5th metatarsal bone on some steps and went to the hospital. They gave me a boot. I wore it for 7 weeks but it doesn't hurt where I broke the bone, it hurts in the middle of the foot and that is probably because I haven't walked on it for 7 weeks. So I guess it has to get used to weight on it, but I have to be patient. Wish me luck.

REFERENCE: Silbergleit, R., MD. "Foot Fracture." Medscape. Updated: Aug 03, 2017.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/825060-overview>