Broken Foot

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: AKBadAss, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I kicked a metal chute, and I think it broke my big toe - foot swelled up to twice the size, black and blue, and would barely let me walk. My toe is also now about 1/4 inch shorter. I was working on an isolated island in the Aleutian Chain, and had no access to medical treatment. I took one day off work to elevate and ice, then went back to work. I would take my boot off during my shift, and prop my foot up on a railing behind me to keep my weight off of it.

Comment from: Fractured5th, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I fractured my 5th metatarsal 8 weeks ago. It was mildly displaced so no surgery needed. I was given the boot to wear, crutches, and told to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. At 6.5 weeks, the x-ray showed bone union was taking place so my doctor started me gradual weight bearing in the boot over the next 6 weeks. My advice to anyone weaning off the boot and crutches, is to start weight bearing slow and do it gradually; patiently build up leg/ankle/foot strength again. See a physiotherapist who can show you exercises to do and wear shoes with cushioning and heel support at home instead of going barefoot.

Comment from: Kholb91 , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

So 3 days ago I dropped a 20 lb. weight on my foot. It has bruised up pretty bad and it is hard to move my toes. I can walk on it but it hurts a lot. I don't have the money to pay for an x-ray so I'm treating it as though it is broken. I was given a walking boot and crutches.

Comment from: Jackie , 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 24

I fell 9 weeks ago today. I went to the hospital and got told my leg had a sprain. I went home and did what they said – elevated, put ice pack, took paracetamol and ibuprofen, and pain never got any better. So I took myself to Accident and Emergency and asked for an x-ray. She didn't want me to have one, but 3 hours later I had x-ray and she said nothing was broken, and to follow up with the general physician. Then I had a letter from the hospital saying I need to go there, I had 6 x-rays, my foot is fractured, and because I have been walking on it I have damaged it so I had a scan and waiting to see the result.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I tripped in front of my house and broke 11 bones around my foot. I had surgery the next day and it was unbearable for five days. I was in pain in the hospital, left the hospital and am recovering, with stitches and staples; they had to cut me from side to side on my left leg. Plus doctor put a rod and 11 screws, this is the sixth week and I'm still experiencing inflammation in the feet like as if I had electricity. They expect me to start using my feet to play, sit flat on the floor, and to do exercise now!

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My foot twisted on an uneven path and broke.

Comment from: Pj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had foot surgery last week and am in a cast around the top of my foot. I just fell hard with my crutches, I don't know how I can tell if I broke something, since I'm still in pain from surgery and already have bruising before the fall.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I was using a shovel to remove old fence posts. I kicked the shovel with my left foot and hit something solid. I would have thought boots were good protection but I guess not. I felt a little sore. Now it's been about three and a half weeks and I think my foot is broken on the bottom of the heel. When I wake up and walk on it, it hurts. After walking a bit it is okay, until today when I walked a few miles and now it hurts to walk on it.

Comment from: Jbrady66 , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I broke my foot at my daughter's wedding when I came out of the rest room. I thought it was just a sprain but had it checked and was told it was a fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone. Treatment was elevation and ice packs, I also wrapped it and was wearing a boot.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I broke my 2nd metatarsal in my foot 7 months ago. I am on steroids and immune suppressants so I don't heal well. I was in a moon boot for the first 6 months, then in a knee to end-of-toe fiberglass cast, and in a wheel chair for the last 7 weeks. I got the cast off this morning to then discover that in the last 3 (medical guess) weeks whilst in the cast and not weight bearing have somehow managed to fracture the 3rd metatarsal. Back into a moon boot I've gone! I'm amazed and so are the doctors!

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was rushing to answer the door in flip flops. In my rush I banged my foot on the corner of a sofa. Within half an hour pain was 8/10. I saw a nurse practitioner. X-ray confirmed a small non-displaced fracture of the proximal phalanx, 5th toe. Ice, elevation and rest pre-assessment. Treatment is strapping 5th to 4th toe. No follow up. On the 9th day post trauma I am increasing weight bearing activity and have avoided analgesia since day 3. I expect healing to take 6 to 9 weeks plus given my age (50), female and a smoker.

Comment from: pam , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I tripped up in bedroom, and had two fractures in my foot. I was put in a boot for 8 weeks but still unable to walk without my crutches. My ankle is still very swollen and I have pain when weight bearing.

Comment from: 1234workingman, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I would like to share my story - I am a sports coach and personal trainer. I was out running with clients when my foot gave way and I hobbled back inside. My foot was blue but I continued to walk on it as I had to keep the session going and end it with no fuss. I went to the fracture clinic and x-ray told me I have a 5th metatarsal break. I was told 6 weeks with no weight - no pay for 6 weeks! I don't believe in taking pain killers and use my body to tell me what was wrong. I am wearing a moon boot at the moment and off crutches after 2 weeks however I am getting sharp pains in my knee which correlates with the tibia and ankle rotation but I can't wait to get it off and get back to work.

Comment from: Football no longer, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

In 2012 winter I was walking around in socks. When I entered the kitchen my right foot slid forwards into the kick of the cabinetry. As I fell back my foot was caught in the kick of the cabinetry and essentially had nowhere to go. Snap. I hoped that the pain was just going to be a sprain as I lay on the floor for 20 minutes and quickly realized I had done more serious damage. I called for an ambulance. On arriving at the hospital the sock was cut off. The foot was more like a rainbow than flesh colored and the swelling was substantial. I was given nitrous oxide till an x-ray could be arranged. Metatarsals 2, 3 and 4 were fractured with the 3rd seriously misaligned. Due to the swelling which continued to increase it was determined that no corrective action could not be done at the time. I was placed in a heavy back slab plaster and was to return in 2 weeks once the swelling had decreased and was armed with pain killers. On returning the back slab was removed. The foot had swollen in the slab and with the foot exposed the foot was like a giant blister and still a kaleidoscope of color. Surgery was done to realign the 3rd metatarsal and the other two pinned into place with titanium pins. Back into a slab. I was required to return every 2 weeks for x-rays and monitoring. This was for a total of three months and throughout no weight bearing. At the end of the three months I was put in a moonboot as the x-rays showed healing was taking place, and sent to rehabilitation. Throughout this time I was still experiencing considerable pain. I returned to the orthopedic clinic a number of times and my concern over the continuing pain was essentially considered to be psychosomatic. After four months I was finally seen by a junior doctor who actually listened to my concerns and ordered a CAT scan. This revealed that I was still in pain because only 1 metatarsal had joined leaving the other two fractured. In addition there was evidence of osteonecrosis or bone death. More surgery was required to plate and screw the fractures and bone grafts were taken from my heel. Again back into casts and non-weight bearing. Of note the pain I had been suffering was greatly reduced for the first time in 8 months. I believe now if you are still in continuous pain then make sure the doctor listens to you. If they don't then find one that will. That pain is there for a reason that something is wrong. Please do not allow yourself to be fobbed off. After another three months I was back in a moonboot and more rehabilitation. I still suffer pain and regularly and take non opioid pain killers. Even 6 years on I still continue to have pain, not continuous pain but pain all the same.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

Eight days ago I sustained an undisplaced (thank goodness, no operation needed!) fracture of the medial cuneiform (the bone that the 1st metatarsal attaches to in the middle area of the foot). It happened through my own negligence; I left my car's handbrake off, the car started rolling downhill and I didn't get my foot out of the way quickly enough - my 3 ton Toyota Land Cruiser rolled straight over my left foot! I took a couple of paracetamol and my hubby drove me to Accident and Emergency where x-rays revealed the damage. I was patched up temporarily with a Darco shoe (a kind of oversized clumpy sandal thing with Velcro fastenings and an angled sole to stop you walking), a couple of ibuprofen and a pair of crutches and sent home with instructions to not bear weight (couldn't if I wanted to), keep my foot elevated, keep the shoe on 24/7 and await an appointment at the fracture clinic. I attended the clinic 3 days ago where I had more x-rays, including a weight bearing one (not as painful as anticipated) to make sure the bones weren't separating (they're not). My shoe was changed to a ski boot lookalike (the consultant suggested he wanted to put me in a plaster cast but I asked for the boot instead - at least I can take it off sometimes!) and I'm under strict instructions to not even try to bear weight on my foot for a month. I'm getting quite good at hopping and manage to get upstairs on my hands and knees and downstairs on my backside. I only use my crutches if I really have to. All being well I can start bearing a little weight, with the boot still in place and with the help of the crutches, in a month's time, then a month after that dispense with the crutches and hobble around in my boot for a month. So I'm looking at it being 3 to 4 months before I can walk properly again! Which came as a bit of a shock as I assumed it would only take 6 to 8 weeks. At least I'm not in pain; I took ibuprofen 4 to 6 hourly for the first few days (I was offered stronger medication at the hospital but didn't feel it necessary as the pain was bearable) reduced to just at bedtime for a couple of days and have now stopped taking pain relief altogether. My foot is still very swollen and bruised but not hurting any more. It's all very frustrating and inconvenient but hopefully I'll make progress as I should and be back to walking the dogs sooner rather than later!

Comment from: CatKirk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I broke my foot in three place on June 21st, because of a pair of flip flops. We had just cut the grass before heading out on a weekend camping trip. I had moved our one vehicle out of the way and when I climbed out with my hands full it was like stepping on a sheet of ice. My hip went one way, my knee went the other and my foot did its own trick. I broke the 1st and 2nd metatarsal shaft, and I think he called it the cuboid bone on the outside and just under ankle. I started out in an Aircast for 2 weeks and the swelling was not staying down so was put into a regular cast for the last 4 weeks. I was told that on August 25th I could start putting weight on it. I have tried and it is so painful. The doctor said it will be a long haul to get the foot back up and working and it will never be the same again.

Comment from: Caylie46, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I fell down a full flight of stairs 5 weeks ago. Broke 4 bones in my foot. The pain was excruciating. Breaks were in place so no surgery was needed. I have been in a hard cast to the knee for the last 5 weeks. I cannot walk on it at all. I was told last visit I might get a different cast so looking forward to that. The doctor said I had the worst injury because it involved the calcaneus, the tarsus, tibia and the talus. Hope I am not getting my hopes up too soon. The doctor said it might take a year to heal and would probably never be the same.

Comment from: Crazycatlady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I broke an accessory bone in my foot while ice skating (os peroneum). The toe hit the ice and I rolled my foot out while tensing it. Didn't know I had this bone until I got the x-ray. I was given a knee scooter and a boot and told to keep off of my foot as much as I could. I'm a busy mom of 3 kids, I can only keep it elevated from 5 pm to whenever I wake up the next morning. I have a follow up in 4 weeks, but was told the bone probably won't heal back together.

Comment from: Jeeto, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I fractured the navicular bone I don't know how but now I am in a removable walking cast/boot. I take Naprosyn three times a day and Tylenol 2 or 3 times for pain. I have been very active and used to walk a lot. Now I find it very hard and frustrating. I want to know if I can still walk a little with this cast on without doing any further damage. I have been in this cast for 1 week but in pain for almost three weeks. I had to wait for a bone scan to show the fracture. It was not seen on an x-ray.

Comment from: hoppy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I broke my heel and another bone in my foot 6 months ago after falling down a staircase. I went to Accident and Emergency and was told it was a soft tissue injury. After a week I got a call to go back as I had broken bones. I had to wear a moon boot for 4 weeks. I was told I could walk on it with boot on but not without, not too painful after then. But now after all this time it is agony and affecting my whole foot keeping me awake at night. The doctors told me it could take up to a year and they won't do a scan on it. I wonder if it is ligaments. All I want is to be able to get about.

Comment from: sis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have broken my foot in 2 places. One is a fracture and one is broken in two. Doctor gave me a small boot, that's all. He did not say if I could walk on it or not. So far it's been too painful to try. He didn't give me crutches or anything!

Comment from: snowbunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I stepped in a hole in the parking lot. At first I thought it was a bad sprain. My husband brought out a motorized cart. I didn't try to walk until I got home. The pain was horrible. This happened on Friday and I decided to go to the doctor on Tuesday. X-rays were taken and I was told I had a broken bone on the side of my foot and was told I had to go to the orthopedic doctors. I got in on Friday and saw a physician's assistant. One of the doctors decided I didn't need to see a doctor. The bone on the side next to my little toe was broken. One bone had three breaks in it. The ligaments and tendons were stretched, but not torn. I was given a moon boot to wear. What a pain! I was told not to walk on my foot. The pain is so bad, I couldn't put any weight on it if I wanted to. I have a walker and I can put a little weight on my toes. This boot is making my back and hips hurt. I don't know if I can put up with this six weeks. I was told I could take the boot off when I sleep, and other times as long as I didn't try to walk on it. Sometimes I have to take the boot off because it causes my foot to hurt worse. I have pain pills but they don't stop the pain. The walker is causing my hands and wrist to hurt. Because I have to put all the weight on my left foot, it is causing that foot to hurt and swell. If this ever heals I never want another broken bone. I broke my ankle on the same leg 15 years ago, but it wasn't this bad. I have had a bad year. I fell off a kitchen stool in July and broke my tailbone, now this. They need to fix the holes in their parking lot.

Comment from: mimz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I would like to share my story in hopes it might be helpful to someone and also hoping to get support and encouragement. While hiking, and not being careful, I broke one bone in my left foot (5th metatarsal) 7 weeks ago. I am in a walking boot and used crutches for the first 3 weeks with it. Podiatrist says that it's a 'lucky break' so I am able to bear weight on the foot but of course only with the boot. After 7 weeks, x-rays showed bone had healed but the doctor wants me to stay in the boot for 5 more weeks. She said it's because of repairing the surrounding tendons.

Comment from: mercy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

In October last year I fell and heard a snapping sound in my left foot. A few hours later I went for x-rays and the doctor confirmed that I had an intra-articular fracture to the 5th metatarsal bone. I was given a moon boot to wear for the first 10 days then the doctor advised me on checkup that my foot had to go into cast for at least 5 weeks. Finally the weeks had passed and the cast was removed, it still took me about two weeks just to get used to walking around with crutches again. Pretty much everything went back to normal until the beginning of February this year when I twisted my right foot, didn't feel pain till the morning when I woke up just to see the bruising of the foot. I went to hospital, got x-rays done again, just to be confirmed that I have broken the exact same bone at the same place with a small displacement this time in the right foot. I was in cast for 2 weeks, then went for a checkup and cast was removed and currently in a moon boot for the next 5 weeks due that the left foot started playing up. The orthopedic surgeon has advised me that after the 5 weeks are up, he will be taking x-rays on both feet and if the right foot has had a nonunion then I will have to go for surgery to fix a metal plate on the bone. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem in both feet. It will be awesome to get a little bit more information.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was taking the trash out and badly stubbed my toe. At first I thought it was just that, a stubbed toe. A few hours later the pain persisted and I knew it might be more than just a stubbed toe. I woke up the next morning and had problems walking. I spent a few hours researching broken toe treatments and most of the articles said it can be handled at home and that I should buddy tape my toe. I had issues walking but thought there was not much you can do about it. I am a master swimmer and actually did two vigorous master swims. After deep bruising and pain I decided for peace of mind I need to get an x-ray. I went to an urgent care center where they x-rayed my foot and indeed I had a fracture. They gave me the walking boot to wear. I got home and thought this was overkill until I came across several articles that stated this really is the best way to treat a fractured toe. Lesson learned, go to the doctor and don't treat it at home!

Comment from: Carrie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

I broke the top of my foot, the bone next to the big toe. The pain is not in my toe it's in the instep and my ankle bones from the cast, not sure this is normal.

Comment from: Anon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I jumped 27 feet (off something high), never ever do this no matter how bad things get. I broke my calcanium which was, despite far worse injuries, the one thing that could not be fixed - it was in too many pieces; about 16. The pain was excruciating, it's totally different from ligaments. If you want to throw up, or your foot or any part off you is misshapen, doubled in size, a different color, and you can't touch it or let anyone else touch it, it is broken. I am able to walk and grateful; even if it is on crutches.

Comment from: D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I fell into a 6 foot cement hole and fractured the talus bone on both feet, fractured all the way up to my skull, and fractures down the middle of skull. My left and right sides are rotated out and twisted, it is like they are pulling each other apart. My arms and wrists are fractured also down the middle. My pelvis was pushed down 1 1/2 inches, have broken coccyx; and it is like my spine is twisted in an X. My scapula is fractured.

Comment from: Michele, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I was coming out of an RV, wasn't paying attention and missed the stairs. I fell like a ton of bricks and broke my heel bone and shoulder bone on my right side, my dominant side. That was almost 10 weeks ago and it's been rough. My doctor told me the bones have healed and I should try to walk but if I try to walk with a cane, my foot swells and throbs. I can't use a walker or crutches because of my shoulder injury. I start physical therapy next week so I sure hope it helps.

Comment from: Kea, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

Two weeks ago, I jumped off a moving locomotive (the reasoning behind this is a whole new story). The pain was not intense initially but a couple of hours later I realized my foot was completely swollen and I had almost no feeling in my toes. Turns out I had fractured two bones in my foot and might be using crutches for 6 weeks.

Comment from: Jcsup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I broke my tibia, fibula and the fifth metatarsal in my foot. It's been seven weeks in a boot up to the knee, no surgery. Surgeon said I could start walking at six weeks, I'm in so much pain! If I walk on it I'm down for two days! The boot is awkward and crutches are a pain.

Comment from: Eriq, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a 4 meter metal plate weighing around 80 kg drop on my foot. It first tore my pant and fell straight on top of my foot. Now it is swollen and after 4 days I am still unable to walk. It is around the navicular bone area and I can still move my toes a bit but it hurts a lot. I think it is broken.

Comment from: Just a dude, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

It was originally diagnosed as mid-foot sprain on March 12 of this year. Today after a CT scan, it was discovered I have several fractures in my foot. I am a logger and hike in uneven terrain, so I kind of need my feet.

Comment from: marian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I fell on some rocks and hurt my right side, ribs, shoulder, and knee but it was my left foot that was broken. I was able to get myself up and drive to the emergency room for x-rays. I had little or no pain in my foot. I saw my doctor the next morning.

Comment from: Kate D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Six weeks ago I fractured my right foot fifth metatarsal. The foot already has a titanium screw in it due to a previous severe Jones fracture that healed well. Luckily, this break was not a Jones fracture and I was given a boot to wear. No surgery! I am going back to the doctor tomorrow for x-ray to see how I am healing. I expect to wear the boot for another week or two. Pain and burning sensation present in foot still pretty intense. I had excruciating nauseating pain when first fractured. Not sure when the pain will abate. I can't take ibuprofen as it exacerbates my asthma and also causes stomach upset. I am currently taking half of a 5 mg hydrocodone in the morning and usually the other half late afternoon and take no other pain medicine throughout the day, foot seems to hurt more at night. I am wondering if my pain level is normal. I am concerned my foot still hurts as much as it does. Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck to all.

Comment from: Jayflip55, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

One night I was taking a shower and my mom keeps the shampoo and conditioner up high so I went and reached for them but I slipped and fell and landed on my foot. It turned in and then it really was giving me pain, so I iced it all night.

Comment from: when will I learn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I was taking my dog outside at 1am in the morning. I was at my daughter's home; I had to take him off the porch, which is different than what he normally do at home. Her porch has 3 small steps, I have two at home. I stepped down, missing all the steps or stepping down onto the first step. I landed on both feet, flat. Realized I was on my left side, going into the bushes along the brick sidewalk that I had landed on. When I got myself up, after saying something, both my feet were burning and tingling, so much, I could only shuffle little by little to get back into the house, up the stairs and back into to bed. I still had pain during the night, tried to keep my feet elevated. The next day, I realized that I had twisted both of my feet, one more than the other, my right being the most, toward the left. I went to the ER, the next morning, had x-rays, I had a fracture in the middle of the side of my left foot. I had a soft cast put in place. I was shown how to use a cane, and to put ice on the foot. I took pain medication x2 every 3-4 hours. The pain did subside except when I was walking on it, as long as I kept it elevated, the pain was less. I have a new support for my foot. It is called a boot, which I can take off for a shower and going to bed. I am a nurse, but don't take care of myself, obviously by not waking my husband up to take me to the ER, when I first fell. This is the second time I have fallen on these steps, also once at our own at home, the same way. First time I have had a fracture. I have restless leg syndrome, I have weak ankles, and I am a fast walker and very easily could be thinking of other things than going downstairs, when it is cold, windy and wanting to get back into the house. I also may have had my dog in my arms, or I may have already put him down and I was going to walk him around. I sometimes wonder if my depth perception is off.

Comment from: Whining Patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I was running my dog and stepped on a pine cone and rolled my right foot. I heard a crack but got up and quickly fell down, as I could not take the weight on my foot. I got home and just put my foot up for an hour or so. It was the night before Halloween, so I got dressed in my costume and wore 4-inchheeled boots no problem until hours later when my foot came off the bar stool and could not hold me up. I got home and put ice on it. When I woke up the next day, it was kind of blue and swollen. So, all day I had it up, and it felt good enough to go out and be a zombie and do the thriller dance in front of hundreds of people. It was sore but not "painful." The next week, I went to the gym and cycled and lifted weights but did not run. On the ninth day, I was told to go to the doctor by many friends. That's when I discovered my foot was broken. Now I'm in a black soft cast up to my knee. I have no pain, but I am having real issues with not being able to exercise. I wear my cycling shoes off and on because I need to drive and walk, and they have steel and hard plastic bottoms. I went to the two-week checkup and the doctor told me it was healing well. I asked if I could run a 10K after six to eight weeks and he said, "Absolutely not!"

Comment from: splash2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I fractured the 5th metatarsal bone, right foot, while walking with very good sneakers on an unpaved road. My foot twisted outward when I stepped in a pothole. I had immediate pain when I took next step. This is a Jones fracture. I've been 5 weeks in a boot cast (removable), x-rays week 4 showed normal healing is taking place. I must wear a boot for 4 more weeks (Podiatrist said), using a wheelchair and walker, foot not touching ground. I was told no surgery. It is very tough not to walk or balance. I wasn't told about this. I was very active before this injury. Also was told since I am on Medicare, electric bone growth stimulator wouldn't be authorized. If I was wealthy or a sports figure, I would have had it and would have had my healing time cut in half!Very discriminating to be sure.

Comment from: jarem23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

I broke my 5th metatarsal by dropping a 55 lb dumbbell on it weightlifting. My treatment so far has been bone growth stimulation and non weight bearing at all. It's been 3 weeks and I can walk, put pressure, and push off the broken foot. The swelling and bruising went away in 2 weeks, and I can resume practice in 1 week.

Comment from: Keisha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was walking down some stairs and missed one twisting my left foot.

Comment from: VeryUpset, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

What can you do if surgery can't be scheduled till September 2018 with a wound on the bottom of my foot caused by a blue boot a doctor put me in, in November 2017! After that I was dealing with the wound and now I can't get surgery till September 3018, I am with a draining foot yet.

Comment from: T k broken heel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I wonder if it is possible to re-break your heel bone after 3 months and still in a boot.

Comment from: Busy mother, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I hurt my toe about 3 months ago, I think I broke my toe but just strapped it up as that is what I had read on the internet. When I wear heels or knock it, it is very painful, I wonder if I should get it checked.

Comment from: hannan sheikh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have broken my right foot (two navicular bones).

Comment from: Mags, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I fractured my 3rd metatarsal 4 weeks ago. The orthopedic clinic say it is healing well, nobody told me how long to keep the boot on. If I try to walk without it I am in pain. The clinic does not want to see me again.

Comment from: L. Connolly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have broken my ankle in three places. I was sent home with a terrible walker. It wasn't safe. Now I have hired a scooter from mobility hire service. It is wonderful and I and go anywhere on it. It is made for people with broken legs.

Comment from: lady bug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Three weeks ago I broke my right foot. The pain has been terrible! It is better when sitting down but when I try to walk on it the pain is tremendous!

Comment from: XxDee26xX, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Last summer I had an accident getting off a bus, the ground was cracked and I fell and broke my metatarsal. The pain I had then came back again, and now it hurts.

Comment from: Dot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I suffer from osteoporosis and broke my left foot by simply making a misstep.

Comment from: dragondilly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Last year I had a bad fall and sprained my left ankle. I took things easy for a while until about 2 months ago when I slipped and fell again. This time I went to the doctor who told me it wasn't broken, only sprained again. However after 10 days of total rest and two more of ice and exercises, I went for a second opinion and a CT scan. The scan revealing that I actually had various fractures in the middle of my foot. I've been given a plastic boot and returned to my normal activities but I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Comment from: cstuder33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 3 am and I had to go to the bathroom. I got out of bed not knowing my leg and foot was asleep. I stood up out of bed and next thing I know I was on the floor. I got up and didn't think anything of it. I walked to the bathroom and down stairs. My foot never bruised, hurt, or swelled. I had to go to work that morning so I figured I would go get it checked out at the ER. They took X-rays and came back saying it was broken.

Comment from: Mirene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I missed a step on the stairs, slid on a small carpet. It was a big mistake to have a small rug that could slide. My foot twisted and I fell on top of it. I have never felt such severe pain. This injury occurred more than a year ago and I am still in pain. Supposedly, I broke the calcaneus bone.

Comment from: garden nut, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I was up a ladder against the side of the highest house cutting palm branches away. My ladder slipped sideways along guttering. I left the ladder and came down on my feet and back on cement and had immediate searing pain in left foot which took main impact. It took five minutes to get into house and rang the paramedics as was very lightheaded. End result being multiple fractures of the calcaneus. I needed screws, but operating deemed too risky because of my diabetes so had a half or soft cast for three weeks for swelling and then full fiberglass cast for four weeks. Now I have what's called a “moon boot” which I can take off but I can't put pressure on the foot for three weeks.

Comment from: Ash, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

Hi I was moving my kids' TV and it hit the top of. My foot it was bruised for a week and turned blue. Then it felt a little better and now I kick my son's backpack out of the way and I have extreme pain.

Comment from: spaggs, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 10

My son has recently had an MRI scan and we have now been told he has an aviator fracture in his left ankle.

Comment from: FormerSoccerGirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I broke my foot playing soccer. My ankle rolled when I was making a turn for a kick and I fell on it. My right ankle turned toward the inner part of my foot and shifted an entire bone segment higher up the left side of my foot. I also fractured a bone on the right side of my foot when I fell. The treatment so far would be to insert pins in my foot to support the bone as it heals, but I have a follow up that is going to determine if they'll let it heal on its own.

Comment from: dmmiller64, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I tripped over a cable and then my left knee buckled when I tried to recover causing me to land on my left foot. I knew it was badly broken because I actually heard a snap and my foot was pointing upward with the bend being across all metatarsals. I immediately set the foot to at least look correct. I went the emergency room the next day and X-rays were taken but no one would tell me in any detail how many or what was broken. I was given an orthopedic doctor's name and number, a boot, and crutches. The orthopedic doctor was to call me and didn't and I called the next day and was never called back. Now it is the weekend and his office is closed. Good thing I set the foot myself or I would be really screwed by now. Don't break bones in Haywood county in North Carolina!

Comment from: Cath, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Horse leapt on my right foot crushing it and broke second metatarsal. It was back slab cast for two and half weeks then X-ray showed it was heeling well. I have a walking cast now which will hopefully be off in 2 weeks! A lucky escape, really :)

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I fell down a flight of stairs and broke my foot. It was very painful and with the help of an air cast after two weeks its healing nicely.

Comment from: bnhaven, 65-74 Female Published: November 09

I broke my foot when I hit my baby toe on the corner of the bed.

Comment from: fractralfoot, (Patient) Published: October 31

I was practicing a martial art. The instructor stopped his throw to explain a point while I held my position on one foot. He then threw, but blocked my standing foot so I couldn't lift it. The direction I wanted to fall in was blocked, so I had to go straight down, landing on my (twisted) foot. I broke the first 4 metatarsals, displacing the 4th one and also separated the first metatarsal from the mid-foot (Lisfranc Injury). The treatment was to put a screw through the first metatarsal, attaching it to the appropriate bone, and using a plate and 4 screws to stabilize the 4th metatarsal, followed by three months of elevation and non-weight-bearing.

Comment from: Gilly, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I have broken three metatarsals and I have ligament damage. I've had surgeries and I have five screws. The doctors told me that I have six weeks in a cast with no weight on it and to then go to air boot.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I stepped on my grandson's toy, and I broke my left foot. The cast is very painful and I also cracked my knee. I have to be off my foot for six weeks. It's already been two weeks and I'm still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I was stretching, before my run, at the side of my car in an empty parking lot when a car drove in at breakneck speed into the parking space next to mine. I did not see it coming as I was concentrating on my stretch. The driver did not know she hit me - my outstretched foot that is - as in her words - it was her baby! The baby was on her lap. I now have 2 screws in my ankle but the foot which was crushed is having to heal on its own. What's worrying me is that my knee was also twisted in the accident. I am exercising as much as I can on an exercise ball and on the mat. I just worry that the "bone" on the right side of my foot which is taking the longest to lose the swelling - as is the back of my heel and ankle - will just never "mend."

Comment from: rcurbgirlno1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Walked out back door and fell over metal shelving that was on the porch and toe next to baby toe bent in half. Now there is swelling on the underside and top of foot. I can't even move any of my toes.

Comment from: non-walking disaster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I missed a step and rolled my foot laterally. Immediately went down in severe pain. Also felt nauseated and felt like I was going to pass out. Currently I am non-weight bearing for 2 weeks with a walking boot and crutches. I can use the boot only for balance.

I'm not sure how I sustained the stress fracture of my second metatarsal. I do have flat feet and spent the hot summer in flip flops. I also had prior bunion surgery. My treatment is a cam walker. I am allowed to do whatever walking/activity is comfortable. I must wear the boot for four to six weeks.

Comment from: ellie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I broke and dislocated my big toe. I missed a step and feel causing my toe to get wedged between two rocks. I drove home, went to clinic in morning, and was told to go for X-rays which showed the damage. Went to a podiatrist and so far everything is going well. This happened two weeks ago. I was told it is healing well.

Comment from: cathy7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was spraying weeds for 3 hours on uneven terrain. I did not fall or injure myself. The side of my foot started to hurt and has progressively gotten worse, so that now I can't walk on that foot. I don't know what happened. I have osteoporosis and lupus and maybe the stress of the job was too much.

Comment from: StardustCM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was playing wallyball and jumped to block a spike at the net. I came down on the girl's foot that was on the other side of the net. I felt and heard a pop. I held onto the net for a moment to steady myself, then I hobbled off the court. I thought I had hurt my ankle. My foot felt like it was on fire though. I drove myself to the Instacare where I was diagnosed with a 5th metatarsal base fracture. The broken end had completely detached itself and was shifted off to the side of my foot. A week later, I underwent an ORIF and had 2 pins inserted. I'm currently 3 weeks out from surgery and looking at probably being off my foot for another 3 weeks. I broke it on 6.28.11 and my surgeon thinks it'll take me until mid November before my foot is back to 100%. At some point in the future, I'll need to go back in and have the pins removed since they're so close to the skin and will cause irritation.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: March 08

My friend was in a motorcycle accident and ended up with 8 broken bones in his right foot. They told him take off the foot or suffer with the pain. He chose to keep his foot but today he said he wishes he had let them take it off.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I broke my 5th metatarsal from a fall on September 29. After 2 month of non healing surgery was performed to cut open my skin and place 2 wired rings to bond the bone together. After 4 months my bone is still not healed.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: November 15

My dog was sick during the night. I was staying over at my daughters and they have a two story home. I went outside at 2:30 am with my dog and the stairs off the deck were wet. I missed the bottom stair and broke my foot. Has been a month now and I am still not to put weight on it. Was told it could be two to three months before I can. I am just using a wheelchair and a walker.

Comment from: Kayleighmacmc, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I broke my foot falling down my ex boyfriends stairs had a cast for 2 3 weeks and they took it off and it had been a year now and it is still broken. I always fall and hurt it then I have a break on top of a break and they're not doing anything about it. It is really painful I have a bone popping out also and I have asked for surgery. I do dancing but they don't want to operate too early. I don't understand I have a footballers break with two fractures on top of the break.

Comment from: June, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

7/31/10 I was watering my garden when I stepped back and my foot rolled over on a hose and I felt it crack. I had no pain. X-ray's at the hospital showed a broken - metatarsal bone. I went to a foot specialist who put it in a soft cast and told me to stay completely off it for 6-8 weeks. The soft cast came off 2 weeks ago and it swelled and turned purple. He told me it takes a long time to heal and may need surgery. I am very disappointed.

Comment from: LJacobsen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I had a clean long break in the middle of my 5th metatarsal 2 years ago. It occurred while stepping over a railing on a boat, instead of heel coming down normally, rolled forward and bone snapped. Diagnosed by x-ray, given post op boot and crutches for rehabilitation period. 6 week follow-up x-rays showed bone had healed normally. Lots of swelling immediately after resuming walking. Still have issues with pain from walking, mostly on top of foot. Wearing good tennis or fitness shoes helps me be active, cannot walk barefoot for long without aggravating situation.

Comment from: Mama Bear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I fell at home on concrete while stepping off a step. I was mis-diagnosed with just a sprain, then after 5 weeks in a black boot, I had an MRI and found the cuboid bone in my foot was broken. Then I was put in a cast for 5 weeks and just had it removed on 8/26. I am still very swollen and it aches up to my knee. Dr says it takes a long time so I will try to be patient but it is not easy for sure.

Comment from: bigone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I broke my foot exercising, no very specific injury. I was working out doing jumping jacks, bunny hops and jump rope. The key to my injury was, doing so without shoes. The treatment 6-8 weeks of complete immobilization, a boot and then crutches, or in my case, a knee scooter, or knee walker.

Comment from: Vaden, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I fell off of a ladder from 5 feet on June 23rd. It is not getting better and the pain is more severe I went to the emergency care July 4th. X-ray's showed three breaks, fractures. The doctor wants me to go to an orthopedic doctor. I was given Percocet three times a day, which is not really controlling the pain. Also, the pain is going up the side of my left leg to the knee. I don't want to worry the doctor like a cry baby but I am not a happy camper.

Comment from: Orla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I broke my foot after falling about 3ft from a ladder. The injury is referred to as an avulsion of the calcaneus and cuboid joint (something to that effect). I was placed in a Baloney backslab for 10 days and then placed in a fiberglass cast. The incident happened on 23/5/2010 and I'm due for a review on 30/6/2010.

REFERENCE: Silbergleit, R., MD. "Foot Fracture." Medscape. Updated: Aug 03, 2017.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/825060-overview>