Broken Foot

What were the symptoms of your broken foot? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bel, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

I got up off the couch and started to walk. I think I rolled my right ankle but I heard a big crack sound. I went dizzy for at least 10 minutes. I cannot turn my foot to the right or flex my foot to straighten it as I get a sharp pain coming from near the ankle. At the moment I can only keep my foot up, I'm not sure if I've broken the ankle. It's very painful if I try to turn my foot.

Comment from: Lizbeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

The symptoms of my broken foot are intense pain in the foot with pain sensations shooting up through the leg.

Comment from: Lozza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I fell over in the street and my right foot was in so much pain, but I suffered it till the next day. Then I went to the hospital and got an x-ray. My bone on side between my little toe and my ankle is broken. They gave a shoe and the doctor told me he doesn't know how long it will take to heal, and to just do what I can. I asked if I should come back and he said no. It's been 3 weeks and I have still got pain when I walk on it or stand. I am ok when resting but can't sit on a settee for weeks and I live on my own.

Comment from: Left foot, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I broke a bone in my left foot when I landed on a stick and it rolled. Immediately it started swelling, nausea set in and I thought I would faint. I went to the emergency room, and x-ray said the (fifth) bone was broken. Referred me to bone and joint clinic, they confirmed and said if I was 18 they would pin it. No hard cast was put on and they sent me on my way because I had no insurance. That was 7 months ago. Recently I had it x-rayed again and the bone is still not healed, about an inch is still separated and it still hurts. I can't wear shoe for long time.

Comment from: Broken foot, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 03

I got my fifth metatarsal bone and pinky toe broke by getting run over by a full size Dodge quad cab diesel truck with the right front wheel. It rolled on my foot and twisted the tire right on top of my foot causing severe pain; I thought it ripped my toes off. I was treated with a shoe and told to stay off of it. And it still hurts badly, I think it is broken worse because I can't stay off of it. I was wearing protection sandals with a triangle buckle above my pinky toe and the one next to it.

Comment from: Shirley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I fell off a ladder and the left side of my foot in the middle on the outside is swollen and hurts when I step on it or even when I'm not on it. I am afraid I have broken my foot.

Comment from: Ron, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I wonder if I can wear a moon boot until my broken foot starts to heal up. I have been wearing it for 4 months now, but my foot still aches a lot without it, so I keep it on.

Comment from: Steph, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I slipped at work last week and didn't think anything of it; just happy that I caught myself. Now my foot is hurting whether walking or sitting. It is making me sick to my stomach. Nothing is swollen. I do have a ganglion cyst on top of my foot. The pain is in the outer side of my ankle and heel. I wonder if the foot is broken.

Comment from: Surplus, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I rolled my right foot and broke the 5th metatarsal. I felt pain immediately and I also have been recovering from a broken femur on the same side. I immediately put ice on it. The doctor could not see me the next day, and I went to the emergency room, had x-rays, and was told to get a boot. The pain is minimal, which I feel grateful for. I was wearing flip flops and this is how my foot rolled. I still feel confused about the boot as I m a very active person. I have rented a scooter; not easy to get around in a 3 story house so I do put a little pressure on that foot with a cane as well.

Comment from: shazza, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 01

Severe pain when I came to. Hard to walk on, at this stage didn't realize was broken. Pain intensifying, nausea. Could not touch area, foot swelling like a balloon, and broken bone on outside of right foot. Foot in cast and on crutches. Slightly can weight bear (nearly 2 week). Cannot work for up to eight weeks. Constant pain and tingling in foot.

Comment from: D-bone, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

Just the other day, I was putting on my pants and noticed that my right foot had a 3 inch oblong bruise on the top about 2 inches from the toes, and was swollen twice the size of my other foot! The foot didn't really hurt to walk on, but I have neuropathic damage due to a bad work related back injury, so the foot is numb much of the time. I don't know whether I should go to Urgent Care and get an x-ray.

Comment from: Fed-up, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

It was late but the plants I had ready for planting in pots were looking sad so I decided to water them. To get to the tap I only had to go down the 3 steps off my friend's decking. It was dark, around about midnight. I managed the first step next moment I was in the road. Although it hurt I didn't think it was broken. This being a Sunday, my son picked me up on Monday. I didn't go to the hospital till Thursday and I got my new accessory 'the boot.' I have now had it on for 11 weeks as it wasn't healed after the 6 week checkup. I am due again next week and as far I can tell it is still broken. I am so fed up. I can't drive, wear nice clothes or my lovely high heeled shoes.

Comment from: ActiveMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I broke my 5th metatarsal bone stepping on an uneven surface. I have been in a boot and crutches (no weight on it at all). X-ray this week doesn't show any healing. Today it is hurting.

Comment from: Zuko, Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I fell. I had a subtalar dislocation plus two fractured bones in my foot/ankle. The outline of tibia was visible. This was a severe injury and super painful. I didn't know I'd fractured my foot because the dislocation was so bad. I had a smart orthopedic surgeon though! He recommended surgery, pins, and no weight bearing. I'm doing much better now.

Comment from: tfla93, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was semi-sleeping when I heard my sister scream. Without thinking (or simply yelling back) I ran and fell in the kitchen. I had severe pain, swelling, etc. Eventually I went to orthopedic surgeon after visiting urgent care where they told me I broke the second, third, and fourth metatarsals at the base. No surgery was needed since the bones did not shift. I have to keep a cast and crutches for another three weeks to see how it's healing. My mom was cleaning kitchen floor today and I didn't know and I walked in on my crutches and slipped, catching myself on my bad foot, of course. It hurt a little at first, but feels fine now. Guess what? I'm staying out of the kitchen for the next month!!

Comment from: Zumeraga, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I was going up a flight of stairs at work. I made it up the first landing and was turning and rotating my foot for the second landing, and felt and heard a loud "POP' in my left foot. Immediately after, I felt severe pain and swelling in foot and ankle. Went to dispensary the next day and told I had broken the foot and ankle. Now I'm in a "moon boot" with crutches.

Comment from: sorefoot, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had a brick fall on my foot and now it is swollen and bruised. It is extremely sore and it is hard to walk. I am waiting for my doctor to get my X-ray results. Ouch!

Comment from: Layback76, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Don't really know how I broke the 5th metatarsal. It started to hurt a bit while walking to the train station. I work as a security guard so was on my feet much of the night. By the end of the night my foot really hurt. Being a dumb male, I waited for seven weeks before seeing a doctor, and four more weeks after that before seeing a podiatrist. He assumed that there was no break since I had been walking on it all that time. An X-ray was finally taken 10 days later that showed a clear break. I've been wearing a walking boot for the last three months with only partial healing. Surgery to have a screw implanted has been brought up as a possibility.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I rolled my right foot at work and since I think I'm superwoman, I assumed I just sprained it. It took a while but it healed. I still had problems (soreness, weak, etc.) but never went to the doctor. I finally relented and went to a specialist. He took x-rays and told me I had broken it and promptly put me in a boot cast so I could still walk/work.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I slipped and fell on a hidden step in a hot tub and broke my 4th and 5th metatarsals. I was given a black boot and crutches. After 4 weeks, the X-ray showed not much healing. Now after six weeks it's still painful and swelling every day. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon so not sure what will happen next.

Comment from: Margie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was at the beach. I was seating on a deck in a steel bar stool, When I got up I didn't know my skirt was caught in the chair , as I ascended the steps on the deck the chair followed me and landed on my foot. I have never felt that kind of pain in my life. My foot swelled up 3 times bigger than it was normally. The outcome was to have surgery on my foot within 10 days or I wouldn't be able to walk on that foot again. I had pins and a rod put in my foot and was told I should not put any pressure on my foot for three months. I am now in a boot that I can only take off at bed time and in the shower. The pain after surgery was very hard. I have eight more weeks before I can walk again.

Comment from: Barbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I hyper-extended my foot falling down some stairs, causing a broken foot.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I fell when my foot went into a small pothole. I got up and tried to walk and fell again. By the time I was X-rayed, the doctors tell me that my foot was broken in three places.

Comment from: lakegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I walk three miles, five days per week with my dog. My foot began to hurt like a strained muscle. My doctor finally convinced me to get an X-ray, which revealed that my foot is broken. Now I'm in a cast. I can't wait until this is over.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Very painful, swollen at least twice it's normal size. There is deep purple bruising across the entire top of foot ankle alongside ankle and on bottom of foot. It has now been two weeks and the bruising is gone, however, the pain is still very much still there and a large knot on the side of foot. My foot is broken at the third metatarsal and is broken and one piece is sitting on top of the other. Today I go see an orthopedic specialist and don't know what will happen at this time.

Comment from: Brendan Carroll, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My wife broke and dislocated her ankle almost five years ago and she is now almost hardly able to walk. She had steel plates and screws put in, and they were left there for two and a half years, then when her foot got bad, they took out the plates, but by then her foot was completely locked, and even physiotherapy can't work. The bones are touching off each other and her foot gets inflamed and very sore.

REFERENCE: Silbergleit, R., MD. "Foot Fracture." Medscape. Updated: Aug 03, 2017.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/825060-overview>