Font Size

Broken Hand (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care for a Broken Hand

Because the hands are so important, see a doctor for any injury to the hand unless it is very minor. The hands are central to being able to function, and a person should be certain that no permanent damage has been done.

Contact a doctor, who will often refer the injured person to the emergency department, an orthopedist, or a hand specialist for diagnosis and treatment.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/30/2015

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Hand

Boxer's Fracture
Boxer's Fracture A boxer's fracture is a break through th...learn more >>
Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Hand:

Broken Hand - Follow-up

Did you have any complications resulting from your broken hand? Please describe them.

Broken Hand - Causes

What was the cause of your broken hand?

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Fracture, Hand »

Hand fractures, a frequent emergency department complaint, are the most common fractures of the body.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary