Broken Jaw

What was the treatment for your broken jaw? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shaker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had surgery and just had my plates and wires taken off after 7 weeks. My jaw was broken in 3 places. And the lower mandible feels like it hasn't healed properly. I am in a lot of pain still every time I eat anything, feels like the mandible isn't one piece. Wonder if anyone else with similar breaks has had this problem, and if so what happened.

Comment from: jjbn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

In 2011 I was 21. I crashed my car. I broke my jaw in 4 places. I broke my back and was in induced coma for 2 weeks. My mouth was wired shut and I had 4 plates put in; I feel like they are in my bottom gums, that's how that feels. It was wired shut for a month. The wires were cut but I had to wear the brackets for 3 months, with rubber bands.

Comment from: houseali, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

My jaw was shattered 18 years ago. I have several plates. All was ok but now one of the plates has snapped and my jaw fracture has opened up. I am in no pain as it has been numb since 2000. I can only imagine the muscle and scar tissue are holding it together. Wonder if they will re-brace it or just leave it broken.

Comment from: BrokenSpirit, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

I was jumped on and assaulted causing injuries and a fractured jaw in 2 places. My mouth is said to be wired shut 5 to 6 weeks which I am not too happy about. I am dropping weight and I am hungry. I wonder if I can get these wires removed sooner; in time for Thanksgiving perhaps. I was wired shut on October 19, the doctor says he'll be out on vacation, and that I am looking at waiting till December 6, which is upsetting.

Comment from: idaria2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got a shotgun to the chin, and my jaw was replaced with titanium. I have been having pain, plus eating and lesions problems. On 9-23-19 I saw the ENT who said it was broken. On 9-30 I had CT scan and 10-4 asked for results, and got an appointment with a nurse practitioner rather than the ENT who assisted with placement of the titanium in my jaw. Every follow-up I always saw the doctor, now the nurse practitioner to explain what they're going to have to do. It does not make any sense unless there's nothing they can do but send me to a hospital.

Comment from: Jaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

My dentist broke my jaw when he was pulling one of my teeth.

Comment from: Scootermistakes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I fell off an electric scooter and hit my face on the concrete. My two front teeth were chipped and my jaw was fractured in three places. My oral surgeon gave me the choice of being wired shut or surgery. Surgery sounded drastic and expensive as s well as hospital visits. So I chose wired shut, but it’s pretty rough as well; 6 weeks not speaking properly and not eating, liquids only. Everything is a chore from teeth brushing, making food, trying to yawn or cough. But staying strong. I am one week in.

Comment from: Jay, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My son has his jaw wired after it was broken. Unfortunately he is currently not working, and he is being asked to pay over a 1000 to take it out, which he can't afford. The doctor and dentist both say they can't help him. How can he have this taken out now that he currently not working!

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had surgery to repair facial fracture and a broken jaw. Three plates were used. Six months later I still experience nerve pain daily.

Comment from: Abdikadir abdiweli, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a jaw fracture twice initially caused by football exercise a year ago. The oral surgeon did wire shut my jaw for three weeks and I was able to recover well. I accidentally fell off a bicycle and landed on my chin two days ago. Now it was bigger fracture on the same right jaw. The surgeon gave me the same treatment but this time it is more painful, the right side of my face is numb, and these wires have got me hate my life. They cause severe headache. In two weeks’ time I should start my chewing process.

Comment from: superfly , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I had two plates used to repair my broken jaw. One was placed on the left ramus and sub-condyle to reattach the bone. The other plate was placed in the chin realigning the split mandible. I was given top and bottom braces with hooks for rubber bands to keep my bite and jaw realignment.

QUESTION

What causes tooth decay? See Answer
Comment from: Loveless4756, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

For my broken jaw they placed four screws in my gum line, two screws on the top, and two on the bottom. Afterwards they put rubber bands on the screws to help guide my bite and help it heal correctly.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I broke my jaw in two places because of a motorcycle accident. Emergency doctor did his best. I ended up wired shut for 7 weeks. I was then referred to a dental surgeon because it was not healing well and I had infection. I had a second surgery (bone graft) and was wired shut for another 4 weeks. I am still waiting to see if it will now heal properly. I still can't feel the bottom of my face because of nerve damage during first surgery. Bonus is best diet ever, I stopped chewing my nails, and am still alive!

Comment from: Brenanna Lynn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I broke my jaw in a car crash on 06-20-15, I broke my jaw, both legs and had internal damage to liver, brain, etc. I had surgery on my mouth but I did not have to get it wired. But I am starving! I started out at 137.8 lb. and I am now 120, or probably less than that considering I took that weight about 3 weeks ago. I am terrified that when I go back to the doctor on August 3rd they will make me continue with the liquid diet. I miss food and I feel sick and hungry all the time. I just hope I’ll be able to eat again, but it feels like that will never happen.

Comment from: dillanr1996, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

Basically, on Halloween on 2018 I got cheap shot by a guy I didn’t know. I went to the hospital after the police station because they thought I was the one who was throwing punches, with a broken jaw in 2 places. I had no treatment due to me not wanting to have an operation, and I feel quite okay, not really any different. All I did was smoke weed, it soothed all of my pain at the time, and it healed okay.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was making a routine visit to a dentist to have a tooth filled. She overextended my jaw and dislocated it during the process. She told me I needed to see an oral surgeon. I was horrified looking in the mirror. I assumed she meant surgery. I called my daughter's dentist and went down to see him. He was able to manipulate my jaw back in joint. It has been two weeks and I'm having swelling, pain, feeling like my teeth don't fit together correctly. My neck has also been cracking since the incident, and I have clicking of my jaw when I eat. The stress is really getting to me. I will update when I find out what my dentist tells me. Hoping I don't have a fracture.

Comment from: [email protected] , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I shattered my jaw through my face in a car accident. I was in hospital for a year with my jaw wired shut for four months.

Comment from: bebopper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I broke my alveolar ridge of my lower jaw due to an motor vehicle accident. My lower teeth were raised about a 1/4". I went to see an oral surgeon about a week after it happened and he had to do surgery to re-break and realign my jaw. So far, so good. My teeth have realigned well. I have some wires, similar to braces that are holding my teeth in place and, since it's only been a day after surgery, I can still only drink liquids, but it's going pretty good. I really like my oral surgeon!

Comment from: Windstar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

This past summer (2012) I was rather sick and hospitalized after a fall. After being released from the hospital and I came home, I turned my head onto a pillow and there was a loud crackling as my lower jaw felt as if it fell apart. After that initial fracture, I was moving around and felt some "hardware" hanging down below my lower jaw. After pushing around quite a bit, some of the parts fell down into my neck between the skin/layer of fat and I'm trying to find information on what and how this came to be. If you have any ideas, images, movies or any information that might help me.

Comment from: Marley Johnson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was attacked 5 years ago and had my jaw splintered. The hospital released me without telling me. A filling fell out, went to the dentist he said he couldn't help me because now both jaws are broken. I am 53 years old. I am in constant pain and have to take antibiotics a lot. They want me to go to Columbus University and said even then they might not be able to help me. I need some kind of sling to sleep in so they will stay straight. I need a lot of dental work but nobody will help me.

SLIDESHOW

Mouth Problems: TMJ, Canker Sores, Painful Gums and More See Slideshow
Comment from: jjjjjj, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

When I was 16 years old, I was walking my 1200 pound steer when I tripped and he ended up kicking me in the face breaking my jaw. I had my jaw wired shut and still today I have issues with my face. I have to get rewired again in another month and I absolutely hate oral surgeons!

Comment from: kross64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

It was a complete fracture so surgery was required. Nerve was damaged and I now suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia. I had four good teeth pulled before I was diagnosed.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

When I was wearing braces at the age of about 40 years old I was playing softball and when I turned to tag the runner out he hit me with a elbow to the jaw and broke it in three places. Believe me I could of lined it up better myself than he did. This year I went to an orthodontist to see what it would cold to line up my teeth and he said about $25,000. The jaw doctor I had had recent x-rays and still could not do the job that I could of myself. There is not a tooth in my lower jaw that in is alignment. In my opinion most jaw doctors are incompetent. I am now 65 years old and would not trust any jaw doctor to do the job right.

Comment from: doubletrouble, Female Published: March 25

The treatment for my broken jaw is wiring to prevent any movement, eating, etc. It is still ongoing and is hopefully going to be done in 2 weeks. It is hard for me to believe in the day of laser surgery, medication to halt AIDS, and being able to reattach body parts that this is the best treatment that they could come up with.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW