Broken Toe

Please describe your experience with broken toe. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Le, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I broke my big toe learning to surf between six and 10 years ago. It hurts to move it, especially to walk. I stretch it in the morning as much as possible and massage it, and that helps. I'm 62 years old and female. I did not seek treatment as I was always told there was nothing they could do for broken toe outside of surgery.

Comment from: BenNiven, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My broken toe story was kind of weird. I was all conditioned from my hair mask when I got out of the shower. My mother took out all the bathroom mats, as a result there was no friction on my bathroom tiles. I slipped right on the soapy tiles like a seal in the Artic. Next thing I knew my little toe was smashed, completely dislocated, on the bathroom counter. It took a minute before the extreme, excruciating pain hit me all at once. I nearly passed out from screaming. I went to the hospital that night with a limp toe hanging by threads. The doctor told me I was lucky to still have the opportunity to have a free health care cause this operation was going to cost thousands. Three years later I always make sure that the bathroom mats are in my bathroom and I get PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from coconut hair masks. I'm lucky to have survived this and that I can walk.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I hit my pinky toe on the right foot and for 2 weeks it hurt so badly I could hardly walk. Now about week 3 and my pinky toe is still sore but the pain is also going down the side of my foot and up into my ankle and into the side of my leg. I'm scared. I am a diabetic.

Comment from: pearlandmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I was in a wreck where I got hit from the front driver side. My foot was on the brake and when I got out, my foot was swelling and I was not sure if I had anything broken. I didn't go to the doctor until 10 days later and he told me that my big toe was in fact broken and would need surgery. I asked what other option there was and he said a soft cast and boot. Well, I had both for 4 weeks with still lots of swelling and pain. I decided to get a second opinion and he told me that no, I did not need surgery, so he put on a wet light cast that immediately took the swelling down. I wore it for 4 more weeks, my toe looks a lot better and I can now walk in tennis shoes. I still hurt when my foot is arched but I can walk fine. So at the moment I cannot wear heels or wedges and I am worried if I will ever be able to again.

Comment from: Bibsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My situation is a little different. Five years ago I slammed into a chair leg and nearly died with the pain in my little toe. I went to the doctor, he did x-ray and sent me to an orthopedic doctor and he told me I had an enchondroma (benign tumor inside my little toe bone) and that was why my bone broke. The bone is thinned out from the tumor inside of it. This doctor wanted to do surgery and remove the tumor and replace with bone harvested from my ankle! I got a 2nd orthopedic doctor's opinion and he said just to let it heal. Fast forward 5 years and I tripped barefoot over my husband's heavy clunky shoes and I know it is broken again! I can't decide whether to go to the doctor again or just let it heal up. I wonder if there is the danger of just breaking it over and over. Thank you.

Comment from: pcb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I broke my toe almost 6 weeks ago. I did the boot for 3 weeks and am now wearing sneakers. It still hurts, and seems to hurt worse after I have been sitting. I wonder if it is normal for it to still hurt. I am thinking if I should start running again even though it hurts.

Comment from: Ellecp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I tripped on July 8th of this year and injured and cut the tip of my large left toe, and it bled a lot. I had bandage on for 9 days then removed it. There is a lot of bruising and the toe still hurts to walk without an open toe sandal, and is not bending. I am worried that the toe is broken.

Comment from: S Hawk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

My little toe is broken, it's been 4 days now. I am feeling some pain, and throbbing, and it's also warm to the touch.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

Two months ago I thought I stubbed my toe (next to the big toe). It hurt at first and stopped so thought it was ok. Now my toe arches in the middle and is red on top, I think it is broken.

Comment from: Sunshineusa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

My 4th toe in from my big toe hurts and is bruised and burning. I went to step on a rock bank and all 3 little toes folded under into the rock bank.

Comment from: LRB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Early morning when I woke to start breakfast, I felt woozy and headed back to bed. I fainted on the dining room floor. I must have curled toes on my left foot when I lost consciousness because at the emergency room, they x-rayed and saw 4 little toes all broke. Splinted it and arranged follow up with podiatrist. No weight bearing at all. I am recovering from total knee replacement of the same leg and looking forward to resuming exercise.

Comment from: fisho, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

My situation isn't good, I was told I had gout for 3.5 weeks, instead it was a stress fracture of my big toe. Five weeks on I have swelling on toes, ankle once, and very sore ball of foot. I am wearing an orthopedic boot and resting. The swelling is not leaving nor is the knuckle looking any different. On top of that I have numb toes especially big one. I had a diabetes test which was negative. It doesn't look or feel any different to the way it has been all along.

Comment from: Bea , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I too was walking in the dark when my left foot smacked the bottom of the chair I had just moved to decorate for Christmas. I knew this was no ordinary crack and looked down and my 4th toe on my left foot was at a very strange angle. I googled what to do, put the toe back in place, taped it and iced it before I went to bed. I worked the next day hobbling around and went to the doctor that night and had x-rays the following morning to confirm it was broke but not displaced. My recommendations were to prop and ice it for 20 minutes every hour. The first 72 hours is most important. For someone who has trouble sitting still this was a blessing and a curse. I can't believe how tired and achy my whole body feels as my immune system is in full recovery mode.

Comment from: Bella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I sat my 8 month old on the lounge with the ottoman pushed up to it so if he rolled forward he still had plenty of room to roll. I was cleaning the kitty litter standing about 3 meters away when he decided that he can now climb up on things and started scaling the side of the lounge. I ran straight towards him and kicked my pinky toe very hard on the leg of our solid wood dining table. I heard it crack and was worried to look at my foot as I knew this wasn't the ordinary just stub your toe situation. I screamed out and my hubby came to the lounge room; I couldn't walk the pain was horrid. My son didn't fall which was all that mattered to me but when I looked at my toe and it was sideways I knew I better go to the emergency room. X-ray confirmed it was broken and the doctor then stuck local anesthetic in the broken toe and was pulling it for around 5 minutes to get it straight. The needles were horrific and I have a high pain tolerance. I went for another x-ray to see if it was straight which it was and it was taped and I was sent home. This was this morning so I'm still in throbbing aching pain; stupid little toes.

Comment from: Janice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I broke my toe climbing the stairs 5 months ago. I thought I just stubbed it and continued to stand on it at a meeting that evening, perhaps making it worse. After 10 weeks if was still red and a bit swollen. I had it x-rayed and the doctor gave me a prescription anti-inflammation pill. That, along with wearing steel plate in my sneaker finally helped move the healing along. Now it still feels a bit off after exercising and has some redness, but hoping it will be fully healed in the next few weeks.

Comment from: Dingo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I slammed my foot in the dark, and it hurt intensely for a few minutes. Almost no pain for the first two days, then it began to bother me. I taped for a few weeks, then went to a general physician. Never let them take non-weight bearing x-rays if you are able to stand. I got them and they came back negative. Podiatrist took weight bearing version a few weeks later, which revealed the break. It is almost two weeks wearing a splint and it hurts more now than ever.

Comment from: Echo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I knocked my shoulder on the first bathroom doorframe, lost my balance and stumbled forward, slamming my right little toe into the second doorframe. The pain was severe and I had to hang my foot over the bed to sleep. The next day it felt like a piece of broken glass was inside. It bruised up my foot and the toe was swollen and cherry red. I tried buddy taping for the broken toe, but that hurt worse and after a day I took it off. It's been two weeks and I'm just now walking with a mild limp instead of having to ride a cart at the food store. I'm still in very loose soft flip flops.

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I stubbed my little toe on a box and realized it wasn't right when I looked down and it was pointing outwards. The doctor sent me up for an x-ray and I had indeed broken it. I had to have gas and air while they put it back into place which didn't work, so had to have injections to numb it. Now I've been strapped up for 5 weeks but hopefully on the mend as it doesn't hurt. So see your doctor if you think it's broken, don't leave it and never strap it up unless seen by a professional first. It could do more harm than good, so the doctor told me.

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had just woken up and was still half asleep and was going to the restroom and on my way to the bathroom my 3 little toes got caught on my child gate, which was extremely painful. I kind of did the shake to the foot because it felt jammed. I really paid no mind to it for the rest of the day until I tried to go to sleep. I couldn't even lay on my hip on the leg on which I hit my toes. It was a constant throb feeling all the way up to my hip. I am concerned I have broken my toes.

Comment from: CloteeA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was walking through the house when my right foot hit the bottom of our exercise bike. I yelled out in pain! When I looked down my little toe was sticking out at an angle. It was burning and throbbing very badly. I then hobbled over to the couch and decided to position it back into place. I gently grabbed it and twisted it back into place. I could hear the bones rattling like dominoes and immediately knew it was broken. I held it in place for a few minutes but when I let go it moved again. I grabbed some tape from the kitchen and taped all of the toes together. The pain was horrific! Now, 4 days later I can't walk on it without my entire foot hurting. I took 800 milligrams Ibuprofen before the swelling began to subside. I hope to never break a toe again.

Comment from: michelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I broke my toe next to the pinkie toe when I hit the bed. It was obviously broken as it was sideways over the pinkie toe. I sat on couch, took a deep breath and put it back in place, taped up and off to work. I am sore, yeah, but I expected that.

Comment from: Robbo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Ten days ago, I stubbed my toes on the door. Instant agony and when I looked down the outer three toes were dislocated. I managed to straighten two but my little toe wouldn't go. I went to the hospital and saw a doctor. My pinky was still dislocated and had a displaced fracture. I had it reduced and all three toes taped. Two days later I stubbed them again. It's now ten days on and I'm still in agony with the pinky.

Comment from: barney, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was in the back of our SUV arranging very heavy cases of water bottles and stuff that needed to be packed for a trip. I tried to step down from the vehicle and my right sandal caught on the edge of the bumper and I took a tumble onto the cement driveway. I was more embarrassed as a neighbor saw me fall. I finished packing later and left to drive about 200 miles early the next day. Obviously, I can drive a car and walk but it's painful. I am unable to wear shoes but can put a loose sandal on. My big toe on my right foot is swollen and bruised along with my foot. I think I will go to urgent care for an x-ray tomorrow.

Comment from: denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was rushing around as usual so as not to be late for work. I was coming out of the bathroom and going into the bedroom to get dressed and I pushed the door shut and somehow, my little left toe got in the way. OUCH. I had already had a fractured small toe a number of years ago. Anyway, I went to work in considerable pain, and at lunchtime, I decided to take a look. It was all bruised, so I went to the emergency room. They did an X-ray, and it was confirmed that the toe was indeed broken. It has been a week now, and even though my doctor signed me off for two weeks, I think I'm going to need more than that. I have to keep strapping it to the next toe. To anyone who suspects a broken toe, my advice is to go straight to the hospital because it will not get any better by treating yourself. To the gentleman with the broken big toe with the ice packs, please either seek medical attention or at least strap that tow to the next one. Otherwise you may suffer permanent pain…even later in life.

Comment from: Neecie58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

About the 2nd week of August, I slammed my right foot into my vacuum cleaner. (I've stubbed toes before, but this I knew was a bad one!) After a few days of pain, both my two little toes turned purple/blue, etc. I tried to keep my feet raised as much as possible but it's not easy to do that. Then, about a week later, going into my bathroom, (I don't know how I did this, but) I slammed the side of the same foot I think into the door frame, saw stars, and felt myself going down heading for the tub! Put my hands out to prevent a head injury and somehow badly injured my whole leg. I ended up half in tub and half on floor in tears. I stayed there for 15 minutes before I was able to get up. The next day, I iced my toes and the side of my thigh which was completed bruised down to my knee. It is now mid-October. Today is the 14th and today is the first time I could put on a sneaker without it killing my toe! It still hurts though when I do any kind of walking except when I wear open flip-flops. The bruising/discoloration has gone away on the toe and my thigh. But there is a spot on my thigh also that still hurts if I tough it or lay on my side.

Comment from: Lyndylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I broke the little toe on my left foot 5 days ago. It is very painful and I have been told it will take up to 4 weeks to heal. As a busy working Mom I am not happy having to keep off my feet for a while as I am always on the go and like it that way! I have been hobbling about a little bit but suffered more pain afterwards so I had better do what the Docs say and rest it, good job my hubby and kidz love me!!

Comment from: Kay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I hit up my two toes next to my little toe. It hurts, burns and is not stretching out. I think I might have broken the toes.

Comment from: Noelle C , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

About two weeks ago I jammed the toe next to the pinky toe on my left foot. I have been able to walk and run on it since then, but the top is red and swollen still and hurts like there is a scratch at the top when I wear my ballet slipper shoes. It is a bit sore when I press down on it, but the pain is more of a discomfort than sharp. However the color and shape concerns me if in fact I've broken the toe.

Comment from: Breezy , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I kicked a steel plate with my right foot, and my 2nd toe took most of the impact. Next morning I woke up with severe pain in toe radiating down to the bottom of foot. On the 3rd day post kick I developed a red streak going for 2nd toe across top of foot.

Comment from: Marissa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I stubbed my 4th toe, left foot and pretty sure it's broken/fractured. I have been buddy taping but not sure if I am taping the correct buddy toe.

Comment from: Donna D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I stubbed my 4th toe 2 days ago. I'm also diabetic. Toe doesn't really hurt but bruising is continuing to spread down into my foot. There is a dark purple ring at the base of toe. I have not sought treatment.

Comment from: Hallie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I broke my left pinky toe and a month later broke the toe next to it. It has been almost a year and now I have a hard bump under my foot that hurts. It is about an inch or so below my toe, so I am not sure if it is bone or what.

Comment from: Is it broken???, Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Yesterday I was playing indoor soccer in gym class, and a girl came at me because I had the ball. She accidentally kicked my pinky toe very hard, and kind of at a diagonal direction. The pain was excruciating. It bruised pretty badly throughout the day, and then I had a volleyball game that I couldn't miss. So I played and it seemed okay while I was playing, but once I stopped and tried to walk off the court it hurt so badly! I can't bend the middle joint of it, and it's still bruised and slightly swollen. It hurts like crazy to walk on it as well. I wonder if it is broken.

Comment from: fenway, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

Add me to the list of little 'pinky' broken toes! We had just received a delivery of wood for our wood stove and in the process of stacking it, one of the frozen logs landed directly on my toe! It was instantly painful. I realize there is nothing you can do for a broken pinky toe except taping it, which makes it hurt even more! Keep it elevated and use an NSAID if possible to help keep pain and swelling at bay. It has only been one week, and from what I hear, it will be at least 4-6 more :(

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female Published: September 11

In March, while on holiday, I broke my left baby toe. The very same day the eyesight in my left eye became extremely cloudy. However, I thought these two things were totally unrelated. When I returned home I sought out an ophthalmologist and all was well as far as he was concerned with my eyesight. However, I still continued to have bouts of cloudy vision. The other day watching a doctor on TV brought it all to light. He said that the baby toe is connected to the part of the brain in the back of your head that affects the optic nerve. Eureka! I now know the cause of my cloudy vision in my left eye, which, by the way, is starting to clear up now that my toe is healing.

Comment from: injured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Can anyone advise me or direct me on what to do as far as treatment in decreasing pain and swelling. In short I was in a car accident and my ankle was crushed and I suffered 3 broken toes. I have had an external fixator, a cast, permanent hardware in my ankle, physical therapy and 11 months later my toes are stiff and will not bend completely which makes it awkward/painful when walking. There is soreness (toes) from the inside out and sore to the touch. My ankle still swells and my toes (tip) burn at times. The hardware pokes at my skin and my foot is sore and tight quite often. I am still under the doctor's care, but he offers little direction on remedies or treatment.

Comment from: Klm49, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was in a hurry walking and my right pinky toe caught the leg of a chair and broke.

Comment from: sh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I was inside the room, and had my mug of coffee in my hand. While I sat down I put it on the table, and accidentally the mug fell on my little toe. It was so painful for 2 weeks, I can still feel the pain every time I walk. I can't wear my shoes or sandals to work. I wonder if the toe is broken.

Comment from: joe s, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 06

My right big toe is hurting and swollen. I think I may have broken when I kicked the football to the ground.

Comment from: kellydugs272727, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My left foot accidentally kicked the radiator last night when I walked over to the bedroom window to look outside. The big toe took the brunt of it. It did hurt and was very slightly black and blue last night. The black and blue is now gone, thankfully. The big toe does still hurt today, but isn't unbearable. There is not much I can do for it besides tape it to another toe for support.

Comment from: KW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My baby toe hit an open door and basically did a split from the next one. Knew it was broken since I have had two other broken toes. Five weeks later it still is hurting. I know there's nothing that can be done.

Comment from: babygirl43, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I was walking down the hallway and I hit my pinky toe on my right foot. I immediately felt pain and almost dropped to my knees. I finished getting ready while limping around and when I sat down to put on my shoes I realized that my toe was already turning black and blue and was swollen and stiff. I could not bend it! The pain was unbearable! I knew then I had broken my pinky toe! The doctor says to keep it elevated, but I work and can't do that!

Comment from: hurtmary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I hit the iron foot of my bed – hard. I know it's broken, but that was a week and a half ago since the injury and it still hurts like the dickens. I'm wondering when the pain will subside.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I broke my 3 toe 6 weeks ago. Buddy taping it caused more pain. It remains swollen and discolored. I still can't run or walk any distance, and I can't help but wonder how long it will take before my toe returns to normal.

Comment from: 2shay23, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was running through my house playing with my kids and hit my index toe really hard on the corner leg of the coffee table. I felt immediate pain in the toe followed by stiffness and swelling. I now cannot move my toe up or down without uploading out from severe pain. I have to walk on the side of my left foot because walking normal and putting pressure on the toe is UNBEARABLE!

Comment from: fajenkins, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was walking in my apartment hallway to answer the front door. In the process I banged my foot against the hallway wall. I was in some pain, but not enough to warrant an ER visit. Most of the pain dissipated by the end of the night shift. Today, I noticed that my toe and the surrounding area is sore and numb, and the pain returned and really won't bend. Off to the doctor tomorrow. I'm sure it's broken.

Comment from: alyson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I badly broke my big toe and crushed my whole foot and I also hurt my knee when a stool collapsed on me. I was in plaster for 5 weeks and thought that was the last of it. However, it has been around 9 weeks and I am still in agony. Now the cold weather is here it is constantly swollen and wakes me up at night I am at a loss as to how long this is going to take to heal.

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I hit my baby toe on a marble coffee table 2 nights ago, and immediately knew that it was broken. I don't have any insurance, and knew from having a broken baby toe in the past a few years ago, that besides taking costly x-rays, buddy taping, foot elevation, and a surgical shoe (which, I still have), there was not much else that the hospital did. Thank goodness for this site so that besides the things which I mentioned, I will also ice my foot.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: November 30

I fractured my left little toe 3 months ago. The worse of it is that I actually went to see my family physician 2 days after my injury and she said it wasn't broken! She said that I could buddy tape it to make it more comfortable. I taped it for a few days but it was more painful. The bruising spread to cover the side of my foot and the top of my foot for the next two weeks. The bruising and discoloration finally subsided after 5 weeks or so. I could only wear open sandals for the longest time before being able to wear sneakers. It took me 2 months before being able to walk on it properly. I have never had an X-ray since my doctor said it wasn't broken. Here we are, 3 months later, and my toe remains as swollen and red as the day I injured it. I cannot flex my toe properly and feel a sharp pain under my foot whenever I try. I can only wear a wide width sneaker on my left foot as any other closed shoe causes too much rubbing on my little toe which irritates it even more. I am very frustrated with it taking so long to heal. Winter is coming and I will need to wear boots soon. Since it has been so long, I am sure that I broke my little toe even though my family doctor was of the opinion that I didn't. Now it is probably too late to get anything done since it has already been healing improperly all this time. My advice to anyone out there is if you suspect you fractured your toe, go to the ER and get an X-ray done ASAP. Don't be a fool like I was and believe a doctor who tells you it is not a fracture without having an X-ray done.

When I was taking my plate to the sink after dinner, my dog's crate was in the way. I tried to step over it, but I got my foot caught in it. I didn't realize it right away and I yanked my foot out of the crate. I fell on the floor and screamed. After I recovered a little bit, I looked at my foot. Three of my toes were bleeding and two of them looked a little weird. I grabbed my phone and called one of my family members (who is a nurse) and asked about it and the other toes. She said one of them was broken, one was most likely fractured, and the third was just bruised. I took good care of it, and I never went to the doctor! It healed quickly and although it was painful, it is over now.

Comment from: E, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I broke my toe when I dropped my laptop on it. It's bruised and very, very painful.

Comment from: rrosetta, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I woke up Sunday morning, Nov. 8th, with pain in my right foot, mostly the pinky toe. Best I can figure, I had given the hard plaster wall next to my bed a really good swift kick. The foot hadn't yet started to swell, so I guess that's what woke me up. I should have iced it, but didn't. I tried taping it to the next toe, but anything I did hurt even worse. It's Saturday, the 14th, and It still hurts to put sneakers on (it's cold and rainy here -- I only do that if I absolutely have to go outside). I can wear flip flops or house shoes but that hurts -- I'm most comfortable barefoot.

Comment from: Sofie, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I broke my big toe yesterday and it really hurts, the best advice I can give is keep it "buddy wrapped" and elevated, if you can try to get an x-ray.

Comment from: loop, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 10 years old. I broke my toe by slamming it into the wall and went for help. It really hurts.

Comment from: dolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I turned and my toes (between third & fourth toe) hit a dining room chair leg, it was extremely painful (I have done this before) however this incident has caused a lot more pain and it has been 10 days and the pain has increased and I can barely walk.

Comment from: crazychick5472, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I was getting ready for school one morning when I noticed the cat was trying to jump in beside me terrapins, so I quickly ran over to grab the cat and ended up knocking my wooden jewelry box which hit my big toe. Immediately it started to swell and bruising was appearing. My toe actually locked so I couldn't move. The pain was really severe, but I've not been to get it check out.

Comment from: CPombo1406, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I injured my large toe on Friday morning. I'm quite certain it's broken since I broke it 5 years ago and it never healed properly because I was told by doctors that there's nothing they can do. It is currently bruised, discolored, and quite painful. I haven't slept much in the past 2 nights. A sharp pain awakens me and sends me scurrying to the freezer for a fresh ice pack. The swelling has diminished only minimally and the ice pack relief lasts only so long. I haven't been able to bend the toe since the last time I broke it and I hesitate going for x-rays to be told yep it's broken, but there's nothing we can do outside of take my money. It's almost impossible to stay off my feet since I'm caretaker for my 81 year old mother and various animals.

Comment from: M a, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I was playing football when a player stepped on my right foot with studs on around the small toe area there was lots of pain and lots of swelling also the movement of a bone is also felt. I'm not sure, but I really think it's broken.

Comment from: tpresotto, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

OK, I had knee surgery and fell on the knee while my husband was trying to help me to the car. My toes on the other foot curled under and all my weight onto my toes. Now, not only is the second to purple, swollen and very painful, I'm unable to curl or move my big toe and my two small toes only halfway curl.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I broke my little toe and couldn't believe the pain. I had guests arriving in 20 minutes and three kids staring at me wondering what they could do for mummy. I pulled myself together, quickly painted my toe nails and adorned a pair of thongs as opposed to closed-in shoes. I was totally run off my feet with a kids' part and no time for any icing, elevating or resting of any kind. My mum , a nurse, arrived and noticed it looked broken. It was too sore to touch, so I just left it. For the next few days it got more swollen and lots of bruising covered my whole foot, from just one little toe. I struggled on for two weeks avoiding shoes and explaining my fat, blue/black toe. Everyone told me there's nothing you can do but buddy strap it which I had started doing once I could bear it. It was painful, but I had to keep working. As a music and dance teacher, ouch! Then someone told me that if it is broken and the bone doesn't heal straight then I could have more trouble and it could interrupt my work flow even more. So I went off to the x-ray clinic feeling silly making a fuss of such a small digit. Turns out it was dislocated and broken right through on a jagged looking angle. As it turns out, that the buddy strapping had straightened out the dislocation gradually and kept the toe fairly straight. I had it checked out before it was too late for the jagged break to heal the wrong way and I've kept it wrapped and taken extra care not to just plough on through teaching my dance classes. Taking a bit of time off to heal and take a little break seriously will benefit me in the long run. So I think it's worth taking care of our little pinkies even if it feels a little silly and a big fuss about nothing at the time. I'm glad mine is back on the straight and narrow!

Comment from: learning, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

A year ago a very heavy object fell on my right foot. My big toe was crushed as well as bones in my foot. Luck was with me because x-rays revealed the bones were lined up perfectly and I did not have to have surgery. My foot was in a boot for 8 weeks. It was very painful. Now the big toe does not bend and hurts a great deal of the time (depending on shoes I wear). No more high heels for me. Just glad I didn't have surgery.

• Broken Toe - Cause and Healing Time

How did you break your toe, and how long did it take to heal?

Post View 50 Comments
  • Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Post View 3 Comments
  • Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?

Post View 4 Comments

American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. "Toe and Forefoot Fractures." Updated: June 2016.
<http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00165>

Gravlee, J.R., MD. "Toe fractures in adults." UpToDate. Updated: sep 26, 2016.
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/toe-fractures-in-adults>