Broken Toe

Please describe your experience with a broken toe. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Charlie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

Back on April 22, 2020 I had a brick fall onto my right big toe while wearing slippers. It swelled and hurt immensely. It bled for days. The cuticle was torn out. I had an x-ray but it was negative for a fracture. But it continued to bleed and was so painful to put weight on it for several weeks. After several weeks, it looked better but it has continued to get an intense burning pain just below my nail line. Wonder what could cause this to still be hurting so much, perhaps the toe is broken.

Comment from: Flowers, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I broke my big toe stumbling over, and had intense pain and an immediate bruise line where it turned out to be broken. X-ray showed two simple fractures, one line behind the other. I had pretty bad pain for two weeks, couldn't get any shoes on it. It was hard to walk, with swelling of that toe and other toes, and bottom of foot. Hot to touch. By 4th week much less pain. Don't get overconfident, still really hurts if you catch it. It’s still swollen, more so by the end of the day.

Comment from: Maureen 677, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I don’t know how this is possible, but a frozen (single) banana fell out of the freezer and landed on my big toe, and it is three times its usual size, and started to get black and blue almost immediately. I’m shocked that something so light could cause a broken toe. Hurts like blazes and I can’t put weight on it. I must be fragile! Not going to a doctor with a broken toe during a pandemic, but I wish I could. Only me!

Comment from: Carolina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I broke 4 toes and had to have surgery on my 2nd metatarsal, originally. Well, the pin popped out 4 days later. It has been 12 weeks since injury, 6 weeks since surgery, and my 2nd toe is still swollen and cannot bend. I am being told that a fibrous union will most likely occur. Being a runner, Pilates enthusiast, and very active, I am beginning to wonder if it will ever heal.

Comment from: Tom, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I hit my pinky toe on a wooden sofa stand and broke it. I was hopping and swearing, with the toe at 45 degrees and purple. I iced and taped it, and am better in six weeks.

Comment from: Elsey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I broke my middle toe 6 months ago. It is still painful and I have a funny feeling in my leg. Not sure if this is normal.

Comment from: Geetha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

It seems to be a detailed explanatory post on a broken toe. I have suffered with a broken toe and it takes a few weeks to get back to normalcy. Thanks for listing the other symptoms of a broken toe. It is true that proper medical assistance can help to recover from the injury very soon. I was treated at the hospital for my broken toe.

Comment from: Mat, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I broke my toe at a party courtesy of a girl in high heels crushing my pinky toe. Purple and swollen straight away, but I taped it and carried on partying!

Comment from: Kris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I slipped and fell. My small (baby) toe was in extreme pain. I immediately scheduled an appointment with the podiatrist who confirmed a fracture. My toe did not have to be reset. I was placed in walking boot for 3-4 weeks (entire foot needs to be immobilized and taping is not recommended for most toe fractures). While keeping the foot immobile, toe area was swollen and discolored for 2 full weeks. Week 3 and 4, swelling had gone down significantly and I could put some weight on foot (occasional pain felt from some movements).

Comment from: Steve, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Two weeks ago I broke my big toe. I was playing football and accidently kicked a solid wall very hard. The x-rays showed a bad break and it has been sore as I expected it would be. Apart from this it has been recovering fine until yesterday, when I woke up with a sharp pain in my foot just behind my wee toe. It’s been like that since and is very sore. I have been moving about since I have broken my toe and possibly haven’t given it the time it needs to heal properly.

Comment from: Candace C., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

My broken big toe has healed beautifully and perfectly the podiatrist said, but it's still swollen. I know it's slow going but it's been 6 weeks and one day, and it is still swollen is the point. No tingling but it still feels a little odd.

QUESTION

All ___________ have flat feet. See Answer
Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I injured my toe about 6 months ago and let it go. It is still swollen and gets sharp pain in it every so often. It also looks broken and deformed. Wonder if anything can be done after this long.

Comment from: Nicola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I dropped a railway sleeper on my foot in November resulting in a very bad break. The toe was buddy taped but has not healed correctly and now leans towards my second toe with pain when I put my foot flat. My knee and hip on the opposite leg are painful as I'm overcompensating in the other side. Not really sure what to do.

Comment from: Rahul, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

My right foot (little toe) stubbed the door frame. The toe appears to be dislocated, and no visible swelling. I thought it would self-heal, but after 1 hour pain started radiating towards the upper leg. I decided to go to the emergency room, had 3 or 4 x-rays taken, and the doctor confirmed it was dislocated. They physically inspected the injury, gave a localized injection for numbing pain, massaged and forced the toe back to its place. They again took 3 or 4 x-rays to confirm it was set, and after buddy taping they let me go.

Comment from: Nonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I kicked a frozen log with my water boots on. Knew instantly I broke my big toe. That was a week ago, it is still discolored and throbbing, especially at night.

Comment from: Krystle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I fell down stairs and broke my big toe. It’s healed but it’s been 4 months and my foot is still swollen. I have a lot of pain still.

Comment from: GrammaLisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I recently fell out of bed and broke my big toe. I waited a week. It didn't seem to be getting better. It was swollen and turned dark purple, almost black (as was all my toes). X-rays confirmed it was broken. Then I got a fracture blister on top of my toe. It's been about a month, my toe still hurts and now it burns. I still can't move it. I don’t know why it burns or is tingly inside.

Comment from: Quinny19, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I was having some car issues and out of temper, I kicked my car door real hard whilst wearing a pair of slippers. There was instant pain in my big toe, and I broke the nail. I haven't been to see anyone because I thought it was just bruised. It's now a week later and my toe is still swollen (noticeable difference to other toes) and the pain is no better than the day I had done it. I don't want to waste the doctor's time at the hospital but at the same time wonder if I should go and get it checked to see if the toe is broken.

Comment from: C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I broke my big toe 12 weeks ago at the joint. It still hurts a little, is puffy, can’t bend it, and it is red. I am unable to wear shoes that put any pressure on it. Wonder if this is uncommon.

Comment from: P-TIP , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I broke my pinky toe almost three months ago. The pain is getting worse. It is almost unbearable. I've been in an Aircast the whole time. Now they have me on a bone stimulator. It is not helping. I am unable to continue. My doctor is going to have to do something.

Comment from: Meg l, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 31

I broke my little toe 2 weeks ago and it is swollen now! I didn't do the ice (only once) and I get a stinging pain every now and then. Wonder if I should see my doctor. I am a runner and usually start training in January for a run in April.

Comment from: Turtleking99, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I jammed my pinky toe against a door frame a few years ago, it was total agony, and my mom said it was probably fractured. I didn't go to the doctor because I figured there wasn't anything they could do except set it. The pain subsided for the most part, but recently the pain has come back. I've never had a broken bone before.

SLIDESHOW

Common Causes of Foot Pain See Slideshow
Comment from: Hannah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was cutting up some sausage on a heavy glass platter, when my hand slipped and hit the edge of it, causing it to fall off of the counter and land directly on my second toe. I am pretty sure the edge of the platter hit it directly, and the platter shattered, so either a shard or the sheer impact sliced my toe. Now it's got a huge scabby knot on the end and is bruised pretty badly. I almost passed out when it happened, I had to sit down. All the doctor could do was tape it up and let it heal naturally.

Comment from: Tanya, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 31

I stubbed my pinky toe and maybe broke it an hour ago. My pinky toe is separated from the rest. It hurt at first. It can be moved with my fingers and I can rotate it with no pain. But it is just lying to the left stretched out. I taped it to the next toe. Put frozen corn inside a baggy and am lying down with my foot elevated. It still doesn't hurt like I expected, since it just lies there.

Comment from: Michelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I broke my big toe end bone 3 weeks ago by dropping a very heavy table on it. I had a large gash on the top of my toe just before my toe nail. It was very painful, swollen, and bruised. I have been wearing a special shoe for the past week, which has helped with walking but my toe is still quite swollen and sore to touch on the bottom. It is slowly feeling better but I’m told 8 weeks for recovery. Hoping it’s not longer, but some of the comments are not making me hopeful.

Comment from: Vincent1992, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

Over the course of my life I have hit both my pinky toes on multiple things and pretty sure both have been broken multiple times. The worst one yet was 2 years ago, the pinky toe didn't heal properly this time, so it will occasionally get sore and kind of lock up with tighter shoes/cold weather, so I'll reach down and pop it. Hurts like blazes, relief follows and I continue normal movements. Now the toe throbs and doesn’t pop. Oops.

Comment from: michael, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My brother slammed his pinkie toe on a staircase and the toe pointed out far away from the others. He got x-rays done and it was a complete break. We took him to a specialist and all he did was buddy tape the toe! No external or internal examination, just buddy taping! Wonder if we should have him checked out by someone else. I’m scared that the toe may not heal correctly if we sit and just trust the suspicious 'specialist’.

Comment from: Natasha, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

I stepped down off a sidewalk, lost my balance, and jammed my toe onto a concrete wheelchair ramp (I did not hit the ground). The pain went from my big toe to the arch of my foot, then minutes later the pain radiated to my knee, and then moments later the pain shot up to my lower back. Now my foot feels stiff and I feel aching pain from my toe up to my lower back. Wonder if the toe is broken.

Comment from: Elliekay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

About 2 weeks ago, my boyfriend and I were play fighting, 'pillow fighting' and at one point I threw my foot in the air to protect my body because he was hitting me pretty hard with the pillow. It caught my toe nail and ended up fracturing my big toe. I was walking on it for about a week because we couldn't imagine a pillow fractured my toe. I am 23 and healthy! Finally went to get x-rayed. It’s been this long and my foot will not stop swelling, despite taking 800 mg ibuprofen.

Comment from: Sheri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I broke my toe 6 months ago and I did therapy to the toe for a couple months, but now months later my baby toe stinks all the time, I don’t know why. Yet I keep working 4 days a week because I have to, plus my husband was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and I have to care for him. I haven’t the extra funds to go to the doctor as we’re spending extra money running back and forth to the cancer doctors. I’m worried it could be something serious.

Comment from: Ouch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I was walking across my bedroom two days before Christmas when I tripped over a shoe. When I recovered, I looked at my foot and saw what looked like blood on either side of the toenail. To cut to the chase, I had sustained an open fracture to the distal phalanx of my left great toe. I got the ruptured tissue sewed up, a surgical shoe, and antibiotics, and healing proceeded apace. Three years on, the tip of the toe is numb as a result of nerve damage, sustained when I broke it. No big deal, I guess.

Comment from: Kit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

When I was a child I stubbed the toe next to the pinky on the left foot. I remember it because it hurt more than just a stub but of course we did nothing about it. Now my left foot has been cramping at night inside the pad of the foot below that toe. I've been taking calcium to ease the cramping and I thought at first I could try to strengthen that toe (and the whole left foot) but doing anything like that makes it cramp. So I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to balance this.

Comment from: Sam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I dropped a sixty pound air compressor directly on my big toe - barrel down so I got the full force. X-ray showed my toe broken in 5 places. Clean breaks the doctor said, and about 7 weeks to heal. It’s been 3 and still hurts, and hard to walk.

Comment from: Colin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I broke my big toe cracking the bone lengthways from joint to joint. It was missed at the time by our NHS as they tested for gout. This was two years ago and I'm still in pain, wondering if there is anything I can do.

Comment from: Godsgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Three weeks ago I was helping my 14 year old daughter stretch. We were holding hands going opposite directions, when she lost her balance and pulled me forward. My big toe and the 2nd toe split the leg of a bench and when I looked town my 2nd toe was lying sideways to the left. I knew it was broken. It turned my entire foot black and blue. I’ve been in a boot for 3 weeks, I’m at the doctor now for my recheck, but I was told it’s still broken and displaced. Going to specialist now. Ugh!

Comment from: unique, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I hit the toe next to the big toe on my right foot last week in August. It is now entering the last week in October. I have buddy taped my toes the whole time, but did not go to doctor. There is some discoloration, and my toes still hurt when I apply pressure. I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I dropped a large brick on my big toe years ago and went to the emergency room. They x-rayed it and said the bone was crushed. A few years later I tripped over a raised paving slab. I went to the doctors to be told my big toe was broken. This was on the other foot. Now recently both feet I have painful issues with. They are numb with a tingling sensation. And I get shooting pains in my toes and feet. I have been to the hospital twice and my doctors as well, but they have not given me a diagnosis. Nor seem interested.

Comment from: Toria83, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

A few days ago I kicked my partner’s foot and shoe by accident, oh how that man's foot hurt! I heard it go crunch, and now my toe against my middle toe and pinky is a horrible shade of black. I can't bend my pinky or the toe next to it, but the top of my foot is starting to turn black too. I definitely think I've fractured it somewhat. I have a nearly-two year old and I can't keep off my foot and rest it. So I'm just going to plod on. If it isn't moving in the next couple of days I'll go to my general physician.

Comment from: Quinn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

In mid-August, I swung around the corner in the kitchen and jammed my little toe into the shoe of my husband who was standing in front of the refrigerator. Excruciating! I screamed in pain and hobbled crying to the couch holding my little toe. I iced it for an hour or more and went to bed that night in agony. It would be a week before I had it x-rayed, which revealed I had a non-displaced fracture of my pinky toe. I started buddy taping it, as instructed. Six weeks later, it still hurts.

Comment from: Spooky tab, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I broke my pinky and 'ring' toe about 5 years ago after running through the hall and kicking a wall with my bare feet. My toes swelled double their size, my cuticles would bleed as my nails grew for about 5 months, and the tip of one of my toes turned black. I never had them looked at because I was always told there was nothing they could do, and they took a long time to heal. Now I can't curl them like the rest, I can almost bend them but all these years later they still hurt whenever I try.

Comment from: Myles M, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

After several broken toes it’s wise to get it examined by a doctor. It’s best to see how bad it is by the results from an x-ray. In my experience it was paramount to see a doctor due to the severity of the Injury. They’ll give you pain medicines and a moon boot; always ask for a moon boot, it’s your best form of mobility. Also the first 3 nights are excruciatingly painful so be careful when you sleep, as your other foot may clip your broken toe and it’s extremely agonizing.

Comment from: Janet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I think I broke my toe when I stubbed it. Now 6 weeks later it is still bruised and swollen. I can touch it without any hurt but it does rub on shoes; not as bad but it’s not right.

Comment from: cali, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I broke my middle toe, and it’s been three weeks. I still feel that it is swollen, and I still limp. My job requires me to stand four hours a day. Wonder if the healing process will take longer if I don’t rest it enough.

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 17

I went on a holiday. Abroad walking to the toilet, I hit my little toe on a sunbed and broke it. It started throbbing. I am taking pain killers, but my foot is still quite swollen. I have done this 3 years ago.

Comment from: Jude, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 13

It’s been 9 weeks since I broke my third toe. It’s still very red and swollen, not only the third toe but all of them.

Comment from: Gem , 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My mum has broken both big toes at work. She has an open fracture in one of them but broken in two places and 1 fracture in the other one. She is in a lot of pain, it's been about 3 weeks now and she is still struggling to walk. She has handed a sick note in but is being forced to work tonight. Wonder if her employer can make her work. She is a cleaner and in unable to wear any safety shoes as they are too heavy, she uses heavy machine to scrub the floor.

Comment from: Marigold , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I fractured my big toe 10 years ago while caring for a relative. I dropped an oxygen tank on it! Immediately it slanted 50 degrees right and went numb. It turned purple but no pain, so no doctor. Months later I asked doctors about it, and they would say, “yes, probably broken, nothing you can do.” No one suggested an x-ray. Last year I sprained my lower ankle and got it x-rayed. The doctor noted, ‘ankle’s not broken, but... messed up big toe!’ No feeling in it, and it is still numb and slanted. Wonder if I can have it straightened.

Comment from: STINKYBOY, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I am in my early 50s. I am a serious distance runner (time for 10 KM is 35:45). I broke the toe second from the baby one while in the kitchen (I was a little drunk while cooking, and accidentally kicked a table leg). I tried to run through it, went to the doctor and had an operation, whereby three pins were inserted. I am currently going crazy because I can't get out of the house and go for a run. I am keeping my cardio up through cycling (heel only) about 35 K a day (weather permitting; rain - wet bandage).

Comment from: Kcharp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was cleaning out my kitchen hutch this morning and a huge Christmas mug fell right on top of my foot. That was almost 12 hours ago, I'm still in excruciating pain and it's throbbing. I have it elevated and nothing is working, and I wonder if the toe is broken.

Comment from: Ann.L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was in a really bad car accident two years ago. I broke my ankle completely in half and ever since then I've been having problems with my little toe, not sure this is normal. It's very painful on the inside and it stays hot. My ankle is still completely broken, and they don't know why I'm not healing. I was wondering if it is because it's broken and if that is what is causing the pain to my pinky toe.

Comment from: Concussturd, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I was riding my bike and dropped off the bench went over the handlebars, hit my head and landed on the right side of my body, somehow jamming my left big toe. I knocked myself out and was bleeding from my head but all I was able to concern myself with was how bad my toe hurt; that was three days ago. I'm worthless, and can't walk.

Comment from: Peggy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm very sorry to read this. I'm 47 and on 8/23 I fell on a sidewalk. Busted my 2 knees, left a huge bruise on my leg which is still there, bruised up one side of my arm, cut up my 4 toes on my left foot that the state won't fix after falling down 2 flights of stairs 2 times, and now I fell on my right foot and broke 4 toes. I actually popped them back into place, but my foot is still swollen.

Comment from: FLtoestubber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I stubbed my 4th toe on the left foot on July 4th at home. I went to urgent care the next day because the pain was really bad. They did x-ray and said it's not broken. I asked if they were sure because of the pain and they did a 2nd read of the x-ray, called me the next day and said yes, there is a mild fracture but treatment didn't change. Basically elevation and ice. Almost 3 weeks later it is still swelling up occasionally. This blows.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I didn't do anything to hurt my toe. It has been hurting in my toe for a week. Finally I looked close at it and it is lying sideways. Obviously broken. I am 74 and have osteoporosis. I wonder if it could just break without force on it.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I dropped a paving slab on my big toe and broke my big toe. I was issued with an air boot and that was 4 weeks ago. I went to accident and emergency couple of days ago because my ankle is all swollen causing pain. The doctor said that was because that was the healing process, but it is still hurting and the pain is in the middle of my ankle and still swollen. I don’t think this is normal.

Comment from: Clevegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I broke my big toe on my left foot over three months ago by jamming the toe into itself. I was wearing pants that were two long and they went over my foot and it rammed/jammed somehow. Three weeks after the original fracture, I stubbed it badly. I've been to four different doctors and they keep telling me it's going to take a while to heal. It's going on almost four months now and it's getting slowly better but I still have pain, swelling and redness from the blood rushing to it.

Comment from: serena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I broke my middle toe, confirmed with a doctor. I work in a restaurant on my feet upwards of 45 hours a week, and no chance to soak throughout the day. This is going on week 4 and I am still in pain. Wonder if I should go to the doctor and get a boot.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I fell off a Segway and broke my big toe and the one next to it. Five weeks later it is still swollen and I can’t bend either of them.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I broke my toe in October and it's still purple. It is a little swollen but it doesn't hurt.

Comment from: Misob50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had a 150 lb. weight dropped on my right foot 3 weeks ago. Broke 4 toes. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I am still in a lot of pain. The doctor said no weight bearing for at least a month and recovery will be gradual.

Comment from: Lia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

About a year ago now I was running upstairs and I kicked my little toe right on the wooden corner of the stairs. It bruised really badly and I eventually went to the hospital because I was in so much pain with it, but eventually the pain went away. I've been with my new job for about 6 months now and this past week my toe has been killing me, hurting and it hurts when it is touched. My job requires me to be on my feet for periods of up to 10 hours to 12 hours a day. I am debating whether it is worth getting an x-ray to check if it is broken.

Comment from: CarolZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I broke my second toe, almost four months ago. It's still bent, swollen and purple. Already went through the pain. Not so willing to let them break it again! There has to be a better way.

Comment from: Dileep k, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had a toe fracture 4 months back, all my five toes got broken and one of them came outside. Now I’m okay, I’m able to walk but running is difficult and all my toes are not bending properly. I have a doubt if this fractured toe will become as normal as the other ones and if the toes will bend properly.

Comment from: Omondi D, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I got an injury on my right toe during a taekwondo fight and it’s been a week now. I can’t bend my toe on the second joint. I wonder if I should be worried or it will heal with time.

Comment from: Mickey133, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

About 23 years ago, I kicked the couch with my foot. My second toe bruised and was very swollen. Pretty sure I broke it, never had it checked, as I was always told they couldn't do anything. Left it alone. Whatever healing took place, left the toe deformed, with what looks like a large knuckle. Fast forward to current day, and the toe is suddenly bruising for no reason. Seems to just be the top side of the toe. Hope nothing serious is wrong.

Comment from: yaya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I shattered (broke in two places) my pinky toe by kicking a metal post of my bed. It has been a tough recovery; was healing but not correctly so I had to have surgery. It's been 4 weeks since the surgery and I'm still swollen and sore. Weight bearing, but painful. But it is slowly getting better. Feels like it never will but it does.

Comment from: Shaheer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

My toe was broken and came outside of my left foot second toe, after I had an accident. The doctor said to remove the bone that came outside and join the remaining. I had a surgery and didn't have pain for that day, now I have pain in my leg and I can't sleep well.

Comment from: Amy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Four weeks ago I fell down 2 stairs and slammed my foot into a huge dog bone. I snapped my baby toe of my foot. They reset it in the hospital but I had to go to an orthopedic doctor. I have been in an air boot for 4 weeks. I was told it could take 90 days to fuse. Pain is an understatement.

Comment from: Broken pinky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I slammed my pinky toe into my dresser almost 3 weeks ago was told it’s fractured. I am a cashier, on my feet all day, and the shoes hurt so badly. Bruising is still bad from pinky to all across my foot.

Comment from: Lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

In January, I was walking fast through my house and stubbed my middle toe really hard on the leg of my couch. My toe was in an L shape so I went to the emergency room. They numbed it and straightened it. I had it buddy taped for 4 weeks and also used a special shoe. Three months later my toe is still swollen, has a dip on top (like a ring), hard lump on the bottom of the toe, and painful with severe pain on the bottom of the foot (under the toe), and it is hard to walk. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Jack , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I broke my big toe about a week ago, I fell off my bike and landed on it funny. It swelled up pretty quickly so I rested it for a couple of days, the swelling went down, and I could move it slightly. I’ve been going to work with it broken/fractured, I can now move it a lot more but I’m getting a pain in my calf. I’ve not been to see a doctor yet.

Comment from: Jeanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

At 5 am on a Friday I was walking in between the couch and coffee table when I slammed my left foot into the coffee table. The pain was excruciating. I hobbled on it over the weekend and buddy taped it. The pain continued and I went to urgent care on Monday morning. X-ray showed I broke the toe next to the pinky. I was told to continue with the buddy tape and try to stay off of it. Not happening. The pain after a week is still as bad as the first day.

Comment from: Kayak84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I hit and broke my big toe carrying 2 tandem kayaks up the stairs, I was pulled forward too quickly once the front got on flat land. It's been 4 weeks, it is still swollen and recently I lost feeling cold on it, and pain has started to set into it again while not in use. I wonder if I should be concerned.

Comment from: Truck, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

I got my toe against the wall. I don't know if it's my third or fourth toe that’s broken, it's been throbbing. The pain radiates to my ankle making it a lot difficult to walk. I can't bend either toe. Along with that my feet has been numb because of sciatica. That's why I only can feel throbbing pain.

Comment from: Jonnibustamante, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I was recently shot in the foot and have trouble feeling my toe due to nerve damage. Earlier today I fell on my leg because my crutch slipped in the bathroom while walking out. And now I don't know if my toe is broken or not.

Comment from: queen of England, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

While crossing the street I stepped/fell into an open sewer drain. I broke my big toe, a bone in my foot, sprained my ankle and got a severe laceration to the tibia. The big toe still hurts a lot. I cannot imagine putting on a real shoe. I work in an elementary school and today, one inattentive staff member stepped right on my toe and then a kid did the same thing. The orthopedic boot is not enough. I wanted to scream.

Comment from: OSMAN, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I wonder if I should go to the doctor for my toe injury. I was walking quickly beside my bed and slammed my toe (one beside pinky toe) into the footboard leg. It hurt very badly, however, I was drunk and was able to deal with it. Fast forward to the next day when I woke up and it hurts and is swollen. I also noticed it's leaning toward the pinky toe now whereas they always go to the inside. It's painful to the touch and I limp when I walk now because of the pain in my toe and foot. I am worried it might be broken.

Comment from: Jen, 35-44 (Patient) Published: August 20

I injured my big toe last night. I slipped and my toe jammed into the wall to stop the fall. It's swollen and bruised all the way around the toe. I cannot bend it, I am not sure if I have broken the toe. I don't want to go to the doctor if they can't help though. I wonder if I should work still; I'm on my feet the whole day.

Comment from: Le, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I broke my big toe learning to surf between six and 10 years ago. It hurts to move it, especially to walk. I stretch it in the morning as much as possible and massage it, and that helps. I’m 62 years old and female. I did not seek treatment as I was always told there was nothing they could do for broken toe outside of surgery.

Comment from: BenNiven, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My broken toe story was kind of weird. I was all conditioned from my hair mask when I got out of the shower. My mother took out all the bathroom mats, as a result there was no friction on my bathroom tiles. I slipped right on the soapy tiles like a seal in the Artic. Next thing I knew my little toe was smashed, completely dislocated, on the bathroom counter. It took a minute before the extreme, excruciating pain hit me all at once. I nearly passed out from screaming. I went to the hospital that night with a limp toe hanging by threads. The doctor told me I was lucky to still have the opportunity to have a free health care cause this operation was going to cost thousands. Three years later I always make sure that the bathroom mats are in my bathroom and I get PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from coconut hair masks. I’m lucky to have survived this and that I can walk.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I hit my pinky toe on the right foot and for 2 weeks it hurt so badly I could hardly walk. Now about week 3 and my pinky toe is still sore but the pain is also going down the side of my foot and up into my ankle and into the side of my leg. I'm scared. I am a diabetic.

Comment from: pearlandmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I was in a wreck where I got hit from the front driver side. My foot was on the brake and when I got out, my foot was swelling and I was not sure if I had anything broken. I didn’t go to the doctor until 10 days later and he told me that my big toe was in fact broken and would need surgery. I asked what other option there was and he said a soft cast and boot. Well, I had both for 4 weeks with still lots of swelling and pain. I decided to get a second opinion and he told me that no, I did not need surgery, so he put on a wet light cast that immediately took the swelling down. I wore it for 4 more weeks, my toe looks a lot better and I can now walk in tennis shoes. I still hurt when my foot is arched but I can walk fine. So at the moment I cannot wear heels or wedges and I am worried if I will ever be able to again.

Comment from: Bibsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My situation is a little different. Five years ago I slammed into a chair leg and nearly died with the pain in my little toe. I went to the doctor, he did x-ray and sent me to an orthopedic doctor and he told me I had an enchondroma (benign tumor inside my little toe bone) and that was why my bone broke. The bone is thinned out from the tumor inside of it. This doctor wanted to do surgery and remove the tumor and replace with bone harvested from my ankle! I got a 2nd orthopedic doctor’s opinion and he said just to let it heal. Fast forward 5 years and I tripped barefoot over my husband’s heavy clunky shoes and I know it is broken again! I can’t decide whether to go to the doctor again or just let it heal up. I wonder if there is the danger of just breaking it over and over. Thank you.

Comment from: LRB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Early morning when I woke to start breakfast, I felt woozy and headed back to bed. I fainted on the dining room floor. I must have curled toes on my left foot when I lost consciousness because at the emergency room, they x-rayed and saw 4 little toes all broke. Splinted it and arranged follow up with podiatrist. No weight bearing at all. I am recovering from total knee replacement of the same leg and looking forward to resuming exercise.

Comment from: fisho, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

My situation isn't good, I was told I had gout for 3.5 weeks, instead it was a stress fracture of my big toe. Five weeks on I have swelling on toes, ankle once, and very sore ball of foot. I am wearing an orthopedic boot and resting. The swelling is not leaving nor is the knuckle looking any different. On top of that I have numb toes especially big one. I had a diabetes test which was negative. It doesn't look or feel any different to the way it has been all along.

Comment from: Bea , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I too was walking in the dark when my left foot smacked the bottom of the chair I had just moved to decorate for Christmas. I knew this was no ordinary crack and looked down and my 4th toe on my left foot was at a very strange angle. I googled what to do, put the toe back in place, taped it and iced it before I went to bed. I worked the next day hobbling around and went to the doctor that night and had x-rays the following morning to confirm it was broke but not displaced. My recommendations were to prop and ice it for 20 minutes every hour. The first 72 hours is most important. For someone who has trouble sitting still this was a blessing and a curse. I can't believe how tired and achy my whole body feels as my immune system is in full recovery mode.

Comment from: Bella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I sat my 8 month old on the lounge with the ottoman pushed up to it so if he rolled forward he still had plenty of room to roll. I was cleaning the kitty litter standing about 3 meters away when he decided that he can now climb up on things and started scaling the side of the lounge. I ran straight towards him and kicked my pinky toe very hard on the leg of our solid wood dining table. I heard it crack and was worried to look at my foot as I knew this wasn't the ordinary just stub your toe situation. I screamed out and my hubby came to the lounge room; I couldn't walk the pain was horrid. My son didn't fall which was all that mattered to me but when I looked at my toe and it was sideways I knew I better go to the emergency room. X-ray confirmed it was broken and the doctor then stuck local anesthetic in the broken toe and was pulling it for around 5 minutes to get it straight. The needles were horrific and I have a high pain tolerance. I went for another x-ray to see if it was straight which it was and it was taped and I was sent home. This was this morning so I'm still in throbbing aching pain; stupid little toes.

Comment from: Janice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I broke my toe climbing the stairs 5 months ago. I thought I just stubbed it and continued to stand on it at a meeting that evening, perhaps making it worse. After 10 weeks if was still red and a bit swollen. I had it x-rayed and the doctor gave me a prescription anti-inflammation pill. That, along with wearing steel plate in my sneaker finally helped move the healing along. Now it still feels a bit off after exercising and has some redness, but hoping it will be fully healed in the next few weeks.

Comment from: Dingo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I slammed my foot in the dark, and it hurt intensely for a few minutes. Almost no pain for the first two days, then it began to bother me. I taped for a few weeks, then went to a general physician. Never let them take non-weight bearing x-rays if you are able to stand. I got them and they came back negative. Podiatrist took weight bearing version a few weeks later, which revealed the break. It is almost two weeks wearing a splint and it hurts more now than ever.

Comment from: Echo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I knocked my shoulder on the first bathroom doorframe, lost my balance and stumbled forward, slamming my right little toe into the second doorframe. The pain was severe and I had to hang my foot over the bed to sleep. The next day it felt like a piece of broken glass was inside. It bruised up my foot and the toe was swollen and cherry red. I tried buddy taping for the broken toe, but that hurt worse and after a day I took it off. It's been two weeks and I'm just now walking with a mild limp instead of having to ride a cart at the food store. I'm still in very loose soft flip flops.

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I stubbed my little toe on a box and realized it wasn't right when I looked down and it was pointing outwards. The doctor sent me up for an x-ray and I had indeed broken it. I had to have gas and air while they put it back into place which didn't work, so had to have injections to numb it. Now I’ve been strapped up for 5 weeks but hopefully on the mend as it doesn't hurt. So see your doctor if you think it's broken, don't leave it and never strap it up unless seen by a professional first. It could do more harm than good, so the doctor told me.

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had just woken up and was still half asleep and was going to the restroom and on my way to the bathroom my 3 little toes got caught on my child gate, which was extremely painful. I kind of did the shake to the foot because it felt jammed. I really paid no mind to it for the rest of the day until I tried to go to sleep. I couldn't even lay on my hip on the leg on which I hit my toes. It was a constant throb feeling all the way up to my hip. I am concerned I have broken my toes.

Comment from: CloteeA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was walking through the house when my right foot hit the bottom of our exercise bike. I yelled out in pain! When I looked down my little toe was sticking out at an angle. It was burning and throbbing very badly. I then hobbled over to the couch and decided to position it back into place. I gently grabbed it and twisted it back into place. I could hear the bones rattling like dominoes and immediately knew it was broken. I held it in place for a few minutes but when I let go it moved again. I grabbed some tape from the kitchen and taped all of the toes together. The pain was horrific! Now, 4 days later I can't walk on it without my entire foot hurting. I took 800 milligrams Ibuprofen before the swelling began to subside. I hope to never break a toe again.

Comment from: michelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I broke my toe next to the pinkie toe when I hit the bed. It was obviously broken as it was sideways over the pinkie toe. I sat on couch, took a deep breath and put it back in place, taped up and off to work. I am sore, yeah, but I expected that.

Comment from: Robbo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Ten days ago, I stubbed my toes on the door. Instant agony and when I looked down the outer three toes were dislocated. I managed to straighten two but my little toe wouldn't go. I went to the hospital and saw a doctor. My pinky was still dislocated and had a displaced fracture. I had it reduced and all three toes taped. Two days later I stubbed them again. It's now ten days on and I'm still in agony with the pinky.

Comment from: barney, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was in the back of our SUV arranging very heavy cases of water bottles and stuff that needed to be packed for a trip. I tried to step down from the vehicle and my right sandal caught on the edge of the bumper and I took a tumble onto the cement driveway. I was more embarrassed as a neighbor saw me fall. I finished packing later and left to drive about 200 miles early the next day. Obviously, I can drive a car and walk but it's painful. I am unable to wear shoes but can put a loose sandal on. My big toe on my right foot is swollen and bruised along with my foot. I think I will go to urgent care for an x-ray tomorrow.

Comment from: denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was rushing around as usual so as not to be late for work. I was coming out of the bathroom and going into the bedroom to get dressed and I pushed the door shut and somehow, my little left toe got in the way. OUCH. I had already had a fractured small toe a number of years ago. Anyway, I went to work in considerable pain, and at lunchtime, I decided to take a look. It was all bruised, so I went to the emergency room. They did an X-ray, and it was confirmed that the toe was indeed broken. It has been a week now, and even though my doctor signed me off for two weeks, I think I’m going to need more than that. I have to keep strapping it to the next toe. To anyone who suspects a broken toe, my advice is to go straight to the hospital because it will not get any better by treating yourself. To the gentleman with the broken big toe with the ice packs, please either seek medical attention or at least strap that tow to the next one. Otherwise you may suffer permanent pain…even later in life.

Comment from: Neecie58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

About the 2nd week of August, I slammed my right foot into my vacuum cleaner. (I've stubbed toes before, but this I knew was a bad one!) After a few days of pain, both my two little toes turned purple/blue, etc. I tried to keep my feet raised as much as possible but it’s not easy to do that. Then, about a week later, going into my bathroom, (I don't know how I did this, but) I slammed the side of the same foot I think into the door frame, saw stars, and felt myself going down heading for the tub! Put my hands out to prevent a head injury and somehow badly injured my whole leg. I ended up half in tub and half on floor in tears. I stayed there for 15 minutes before I was able to get up. The next day, I iced my toes and the side of my thigh which was completed bruised down to my knee. It is now mid-October. Today is the 14th and today is the first time I could put on a sneaker without it killing my toe! It still hurts though when I do any kind of walking except when I wear open flip-flops. The bruising/discoloration has gone away on the toe and my thigh. But there is a spot on my thigh also that still hurts if I tough it or lay on my side.

Comment from: Lyndylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I broke the little toe on my left foot 5 days ago. It is very painful and I have been told it will take up to 4 weeks to heal. As a busy working Mom I am not happy having to keep off my feet for a while as I am always on the go and like it that way! I have been hobbling about a little bit but suffered more pain afterwards so I had better do what the Docs say and rest it, good job my hubby and kidz love me!!

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW