Broken Toe

What were the signs and symptoms of your broken toe? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Junkm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

My broken big toe is the result of a kitchen chair falling on my foot. Immediately, I felt intense pain and there was instant discoloration and swelling. X-rays were taken 2 days later and the fracture was confirmed. Emergency room procedures included buddy-taping the second toe to my big toe.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I’m not sure what is wrong or if I have broken my toe. I was running around, chasing my son as we played. I got too close to the corner of a door frame and instantly felt that terrible pain; except this time it didn’t stop after 30 seconds. It got very red, swollen, tight, and looked deformed. My pinky toe bends inwards, but after this it was pointing away from my other toes. I buddy taped it, propped it up, and added ice. It has been about 12 hours and I can walk ok if I limp, and put weight on the side of the foot.

Comment from: Littlepiggy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I caught my pinky toe on the edge of a trunk. I immediately heard a crack and looked down to see my pinky toe sticking out to the side all crooked. I knew it was broken. My husband took me to the emergency room where they did an x-ray and it showed I broke it in two places and it had left my toe bone in three pieces. I have been instructed to wear a surgical boot and elevate it and ice it. I am also supposed to see an orthopedic doctor about possible surgery! All this for a tiny little toe!

Comment from: Tezza, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I smashed my left foot on a dog bed. Its frame was metal and I have a bad bruise on my second smallest left toe and now my toes and foot are all swollen. I am worried the toe is broken.

Comment from: Ouch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

When I was able to put a finger on the tip of my left great toe and wiggle it without moving the interphalangeal joint that was a pretty good sign that my toe was broken and I needed to go to the hospital.

Comment from: Don, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I was walking along the beach, climbing barefoot on rocks. I slipped on a wet rock, maybe not such a good idea. After I got out of the water, I thought, I broke my toe. Sure enough saw the bruising, the toe was twisted a bit. I didn't let it stop the day, just hobbled along until I got back home. Buddy tape and I should be on my way.

Comment from: terrwigg, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 01

I stubbed my last three toes of my foot today. I have some swelling and now bruising around my fourth toe only. I can walk on it, but it hurts!

QUESTION