Broken Toe

What were the symptoms of your broken toe? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm not sure what is wrong or if I have broken my toe. I was running around, chasing my son as we played. I got too close to the corner of a door frame and instantly felt that terrible pain; except this time it didn't stop after 30 seconds. It got very red, swollen, tight, and looked deformed. My pinky toe bends inwards, but after this it was pointing away from my other toes. I buddy taped it, propped it up, and added ice. It has been about 12 hours and I can walk ok if I limp, and put weight on the side of the foot.

Comment from: Littlepiggy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I caught my pinky toe on the edge of a trunk. I immediately heard a crack and looked down to see my pinky toe sticking out to the side all crooked. I knew it was broken. My husband took me to the emergency room where they did an x-ray and it showed I broke it in two places and it had left my toe bone in three pieces. I have been instructed to wear a surgical boot and elevate it and ice it. I am also supposed to see an orthopedic doctor about possible surgery! All this for a tiny little toe!

Comment from: Don, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I was walking along the beach, climbing barefoot on rocks. I slipped on a wet rock, maybe not such a good idea. After I got out of the water, I thought, I broke my toe. Sure enough saw the bruising, the toe was twisted a bit. I didn't let it stop the day, just hobbled along until I got back home. Buddy tape and I should be on my way.

Comment from: terrwigg, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 01

I stubbed my last three toes of my foot today. I have some swelling and now bruising around my fourth toe only. I can walk on it, but it hurts!

• Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

Post View 75 Comments
  • Broken Toe - Cause and Healing Time

How did you break your toe, and how long did it take to heal?

Post View 51 Comments
  • Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Post View 3 Comments

American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. "Toe and Forefoot Fractures." Updated: June 2016.
<http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00165>

Gravlee, J.R., MD. "Toe fractures in adults." UpToDate. Updated: sep 26, 2016.
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/toe-fractures-in-adults>