Broken Toe

How did you break your toe, and how long did it take to heal? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sandy Hinojosa , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I hit the corner of the chair and broke my toe. It's been over 4 weeks. It was the little toe which is still swollen. But now I still have pain but it's also numb on the side of the toe and I still have to wear sandals.

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had infection and bronchitis. One night, I just passed out while walking down the hallway. I guess I caught my second toe on the carpet and bent it because it was broken in two places. It's been three and a half months now and it has still not healed.

Comment from: Vic, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I broke my little toe 6 weeks ago and it is still sore and swollen. I stubbed it against the foot of bed!

Comment from: Rose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I picked up a terracotta potted plant, lost my balance and fell. The pot broke on my foot. It was very painful, and I couldn't tell if anything was broken. I didn't see the doctor until 10 days later (felt it would get better on its own). After an x-ray the doctor said it was my 4th toe (next to the pinky) and it was broken. She buddy-taped it, gave me this ugly shoe to wear and said to wait 4 to 6 weeks to heal. She told me to put icepacks on it and take Tylenol for pain. It could have been worse!

Comment from: Momof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

We have a small puppy who weaves in-and-out of my feet when I walk. Well, I almost tripped holding the baby and I lifted my foot up to move her out of the way and slam my foot down, and caught in between my pinky and the little toe next to it the trash can that was in the hallway smack straight in between the toes. It swelled up the 1st night and the next day bruised. Swelling has gone down but I still kind of feel a little poppy noise every now and then, not sure if the toe is broken. I buddy bandaged it myself.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

First thank you for your articles and references, all were big help as I just now figured my toe(s) were broken. My 119 lb. American bulldog stepped on my toes full weight. I had immediate pain, swelling, numbness, and then fiery heat. I read your articles and decided to use the buddy tape home remedy. Let's see now how it goes! Thank you again!

Comment from: Twinkle, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I know why some people here are not healing from broken toe. You absolutely need to stop wearing flip flops and get a solid sole sandal, meaning a sole that does not bend at all. This supports the broken toe to give it a chance to heal. You can also use crutches and don't put pressure on the toe when you're walking. Take it easy. Don't rush the healing. Wishing you all well.

Comment from: Mowens, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

My 5 year old niece threw a 3 lb. weight on my toe 2 months ago. I had x-ray and MRI, and both determined it was not broken but the MRI doctor said it could be a stress fracture. It is still very painful, swells up and turns red if I walk on it too much and I don't know what else it could be. Perhaps nerve damage or torn tendon/ligament. This is very frustrating since it has been so long from injury and the doctor said nothing can be done.

Comment from: KKEM, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a full can of Coke (unopened, rim side down) fall off my desk and land on by bare foot. It hit the fourth toe, and it bled. I tried to walk it off, for two days, but not only did it not get better, but it was extremely swollen and tender. I decided to go to the doctor (saw no need for the emergency room) and found out that there was a small fracture in the tip of the toe. The doctor consulted with another doctor, and it was decided to buddy tape it to the pinky toe.

Comment from: koreandrama, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

I broke my toe next to the little toe yesterday, today it is all black and blue, and it hurts like crazy. I have it tied together to the toe next to it, and I cannot walk. If it is still painful tomorrow I will go get it checked on by the doctor. I guess toes have to heal themselves.

Comment from: Janice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

A few days ago I hit my foot on a table and thought I had stubbed my toe! Well to my disbelief I look down at my left foot and all my toes were going straight and my pinky toe decided to take a left turn! Well after going to the doctor and finding out it was broken in half, I am in a boot with it taped to the next toe. Back to the doctor Monday to see if it stayed in place. Lots of swelling and pain to walk! Hanging in there though!

Comment from: SheriO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

OK on the last day of my 2 week vacation, I slammed my toes into the wooden coffee table while renovating. Said a few curse words for a minute and looked down to see my middle toe on my right foot was sideways. I immediately straightened it. It didn't hurt, so I must have been in shock. Was not going to go to Emergency, but after looking at some cases on line, decided I better. My husband drove me and the X-Ray was a positive break. (But they said I did a great job resetting it.) It's only been over a week, but I have been walking on it and wearing 2" flip flops and even walked to the gym yesterday with my sneakers on. It's got a big lump in the middle, but it's still straight. I hope I haven't done more damage to it. The Doctors didn't give me any special shoe or even recommend one, in fact, they told me to wear closed in shoes with a rigid sole. It really does mess up your everyday living, but it looks like I've got another 5 weeks before it heals.

Comment from: barney, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

Kicked a wall with flip-flops on heard and felt a crack no pain at first till I tried to put my foot down felt as though I had pins and needles when I put weight on the foot went to the hospital got x-rays done found that I had broke my 3rd and 4th toe. Treatment is to strap the toes together and to take paracetamol and iburofen for the pain and swelling.

Comment from: Moe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

My husband, who is quite larger than me, caught my small toe (we were both barefoot walking opposite directions). He stepped on it causing it to go backwards to the point he thought he stepped on a nail. It has been a full month, and it hurts like it happen today. I have been to a doctor. She gave me a boot, which has causes more problems than help. I also have it taped to the toe next to it. This has caused much stress and pain.

Comment from: Feeling foolish, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 24

I was speeding around the bed to make it and smacked my baby toe on my husband's dresser. I knew immediately that it was broken as I have a habit of breaking toes. I have had it elevated as much as possible since and have iced it as well. I took ibuprofen for the swelling the first day and am taking Tylenol now for the pain since it works better. It is feeling better already and it has only been two days. I still cannot walk well and have not left the couch much since yesterday. I know it will be a few weeks before I can wear a real shoe.

Comment from: Loveablelori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

i fell down four stairs today. My baby toe on the left foot is all purple and swollen. I can't wear my shoes. I can't move it at all. It's numb.

Comment from: Patty Sue Lindquist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I fell 15 feet onto cement and my left foot and ankle took the impact. I broke both ankle bones; all the metatarsals; and I broke my heel and the bones that form the arch--the hospital only put my foot and ankle in a cast, but after the cast was taken off, my foot is deformed and hurts like heck. I can tell the metatarsals are broken because they are sore and extremely swollen with some purple coloring. It's been months upon months now. I need help and my doctor doesn't seem to care.

Comment from: Princess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I've been in pain from my big toe for over six months after hitting it against the edge of my bed. Swelling has reduced but I can only raise it to a certain degree. After icing and months of pain relief, I went to the doctor who insisted on giving me more pain relief. I in turn insisted on having an X-ray against his advice only to be told that I had indeed fractured my big toe. Now I'm waiting for my doctor to refer me for further treatment at the fracture clinic.

Comment from: bonehealer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My wife ran into the coffee table last night. She said it really hurt. I told her it was fine last night but today it really hurt so she went to the ER and they told her it was broke and swollen. They gave her a flat shoe and told her she'll be fine. Good because we're going on vacation on Sunday and she doesn't want any problems.

Comment from: Crush, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My big toe on my right foot was crushed and cut. I received 5 stitches at the base of my nail. I could move my toe but X-rays showed it was broken. I keep my foot up whenever possible to help alleviate swelling. I'm in an air cast. This is great as it offers protection from stubbing my toe but it does through my hip out a bit if I walk too much while at work. I was told by doc it would take approx. two months to heal.

Comment from: brendaimp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I hit my baby toe on a piece of furniture at my job about a week before my parents' 50th wedding anniversary banquet. I soaked and iced my foot before the occasion so I would be able to wear a shoe. I was able to put the shoe on but after a few minutes I had to removed them and put on flip flops. The next day we had a cookout and again I could not put on a shoe. My mom insisted that I check it out, so I went to emergency the next day. As it turned out my toe was indeed fractured.

Comment from: jmorrone, 55-64 Female Published: August 10

I hit my baby toe against the edge of the trimming of a wall. I heard a crack. There was swelling. I am able to walk, but it's painful.

Comment from: shannon, Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was cleaning my house and somehow stumped my toe and fell over pretty hard. I had bruises all over me from head to toe but my big toe hurt the most. It was nine days ago and the black/blue/red bruises have almost all gone away but by the end of the day after walking, standing, working on it, it is swollen again, every night. I always heard there was nothing you can do for a broken toe but after ready this I realize I was wrong .I am going tomorrow to get an X-ray, I know it is broken and pain is getting worse.

Comment from: Inky, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was playing football at a party when I stubbed one of my smaller toes against the ground. I sat on the ground for about five minutes, assuming it was just an average stub, and that the pain would recede quickly. However, after half an hour, it had not gotten any better and had begun swelling too. So I decided that it needed more attention. Thankfully, a relative on site was a doctor, so she checked it out. She went to buddy tapping, and said it was most likely broken. It is hurting badly today, so I'm keeping it up and not doing much. I hope it starts feeling better soon!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I broke my middle toe, which an X-ray confirmed. It's been two weeks later and I still have pain and swelling. It was taped to the healthy toe, but was told there isn't much more I can do.

Comment from: Judy Tuhy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I broke my left pinky toe recently, about 25 years after the right pinky toe. This time it was x-rayed, two breaks. Will buddy tape for around six weeks and wear thong sandals. Thank goodness it's summer! Oh yes, icing helps as well as time in the recliner.

Comment from: jmaleski, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Yes it has. I feel a lot of pain when trying to walk. My toes seem to bend. Bruising is black and blue around my toes.

Comment from: gillia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Yes, I cannot buzz around like I normally do. I can only walk slowly and with difficulty. I cannot drive too far or else it hurts and I am debilitated because cannot exercise and cannot do much.

Comment from: Valerie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was putting clothes away in my daughter's room and decided to use my foot to move the laundry basket. Well it just so happen that the closet door stick out when it open and I hit my middle toe on my right foot and boy did I say some nasty words under my breath! The next morning it was just lightly bruised but after the second morning it was a pretty purple and blue.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I stubbed my fourth toe on my nephew's athletic shoe on Christmas Eve. I saw stars and wanted to throw up. I knew immediately that it was broken. The toe was totally out of alignment but because I had been "celebrating" for several hours, I felt empowered to bring it back into alignment. I heard 3 distinct snaps and while it was still very painful, felt better than it did before I set it. Not wanting to deal with emergency care over the Christmas weekend, I iced my toe, kept it elevated and tried not to walk on it. 72 hours later I went to my doc who x-rayed the toe and congratulated me on setting it so well. You see, I broke it in 2 places on the oblique. I am now in a boot with an estimated heal time of 4-6 weeks.

Comment from: Miss Bonne, Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I jumped up to go into the kitchen to get back before my program was back on, and I didn't quite clear the kitchen wall. I literally heard the bone crack in the toe next to the baby toe, and I knew I was in trouble. I suffered all night long went to the emergency room the next morning to find I had broken my toe.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Ii am walking a lot slower at the moment and with a limp. It's amazing how one little toe can cause so much complication in walking.

Comment from: buddy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have a horizontal fracture of the little toe and the swelling has not gone down for over a month.

Comment from: black tonail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I dropped a marble table on my big toe 6 weeks ago. Doctors kept telling me it wasn't broken. I finally went to a specialist. Sure enough, it's broken and I'm in a boot for the next 6 weeks.

Comment from: Dina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

My fourth toe was caught by the computer cord on the floor. It hurt badly and changed direction. Automatically I tucked it back in place. Next day walked on it and my foot hurt. The second day my foot was swollen and went to the hospital and x-ray showed fractured toe. Doctor wanted to put a splint to immobilize the foot but I couldn't take the option as my daughter was getting married in 10 days and had a lot to do. Doctor then taped it to the next toe and was advised to rest and not to put weight on the foot. I was prescribed anti-inflammatory and pain reliever pills. However, I did a lot of walking and stood a lot on the foot due to the circumstances and right after the wedding went back to the doctor to put a splint and I rested for four weeks.

Comment from: weldingwalleye, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I was loading my boat at a landing it was very slippery got my big toe in between concrete pads slipped, twisted and broke my big toe. I realized it was broke when I noticed in the water my toe was facing the wrong way.

I broke middle toe on left foot while trying to carry large television set downstairs. It's been a month and I still have some swelling and discoloration. The X-ray indicated that the toe was definitely broken. The mistake I've made is wearing low heel shoes when going out to dinner. The boot is so ugly, but I am wearing it more often.

Comment from: bb64, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

My 9-year-old has a small fracture to big toe the hospital said it will heal by itself, but didnt bandage it or anything my daughter is really in pain trying to get around, as shoes really hurt her.

Comment from: Rph, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I broke my toe and yes, as a pharmacist, all the standing and constant movement makes the pain excruciating. I had to take a few days off work until I could wear a shoe and stand without pain.

Comment from: trixie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I broke my toe and now it hurts to even try to move around.

Comment from: Gene, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I stubbed my foot on a chair leg while walking through the kitchen. My left pinky is broken, as I can tell from the discoloration and pain. I was told by a retired physician to tape the pinky to the adjoining toe to keep it from moving. There's not much else to do for it except ice it ever so often to keep the swelling down.

Comment from: coleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

My toe was swollen and very painful so I went to the foot doctor. He took an ex-ray and said my big toe was broken from arthritis. I did not break it, as it broken on its own. This is the second time it broke on own.

Comment from: tjford, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My broken toe is affecting my movements and activities, especially because my other ankle is broken with a cast.

Comment from: mskat1954, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Broke 2nd toe in from little toe left foot about 11 years ago. It was completely facing backwards. I flipped it back into position, taped it. Went to hospital next day and doctor gave me a wooden shoe and said I did a good job. There was nothing left for him to do, then I got the bill. Last week stubbed and broke little toe, left foot by stubbing it against a stool middle of night. Was bent in half so I put it back taped it and found another wooden shoe from when I had a bad sprain. There is not much you can do. My doctor says to put a cotton ball between the bad toe and good toe and tape. That's it.

Comment from: petitmiam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I used to walk for exercise for sometimes 2-3 hours at a time. I can't do that now, about 10 minutes is my limit. I also need to cut back my hours of work, about 50-60 per week currently, lots of walking. Perhaps because of this, my fracture is ununited after 5 months. For the first 3 months I didn't know I had a fracture, just that I was in a lot of pain daily. I have to have surgery now, and that will definitely affect daily activities.

Comment from: Jayne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Yes it did, I work in an office, and going to fax machine or photo copier took twice as long. Getting up and going to the bathroom is also been a problem, as it is so far away from my desk, however as far as work is concerned, having a broken toe does not prevent me from doing my job. The hospital did not offer me any kind of walking aid, therefore I am finding getting about hard, as I am aware that I am very heavy as 16stone, and trying not to put weight on the foot with the broken toe is causing issues elsewhere in my body.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I've stubbed my toes before and one is even bent sideways, but oh this time a ten pound weight was dropped on my this little piggy stays home toe! I could wiggle the top of the toe all by itself and felt bone poking out the bottom. Figured I would go to the doctor. He x-rayed it and buddy tapped it. It is very painful at night and keeps me awake. Ice burns and it's hard to stay off my feet for long periods of time. Not sure when to go back to work my job is strenuous and all I do is walk for eight hours.

Comment from: Pattie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Broke my baby toe on 1/28/11 - was very sore and did get x-ray - which showed it was broke (shower door came down on it). Did everything - ice, elevation, even tried soaking it in warm water, but nothing helps. Now it's 5/13/11 my toe still hurts, loose fitting shoes still hurt my baby toe; my baby toe nail looks like it will eventually come off, but doesn't look like there is any type of blood under the nail. I would like to know if there is anything else I can do to nurse this baby toe back to health. I now have been wearing just flip-flops but that doesn't really seem to help the side around the baby toe still hurts.

Comment from: `, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Since I have broken my three middle toes, it is extremely painful to move. I can no longer wear flip flops or walk farther than a few feet without extreme pain.

Comment from: Annette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

It hurts but I can walk so I have to work. It is purple and swollen and if I move it I about wet myself. I have no insurance so I guess I just have to suffer with it.

Comment from: tphilly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Not really at first. I walked on my toe for about a month before I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a fractured big toe.

American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. "Toe and Forefoot Fractures." Updated: June 2016.
<http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00165>

Gravlee, J.R., MD. "Toe fractures in adults." UpToDate. Updated: sep 26, 2016.
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/toe-fractures-in-adults>