Bronchitis (Chronic)

How was your bronchitis diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Amelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I told the doctor it started with a sore throat that didn't go away. The next day I couldn't stop coughing. It sounded like a rumble when I was breathing, wheezing! That's when I decided to go to the doctor and was diagnosed with bronchitis.

Comment from: Piper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

On a trip to Ireland some folks on the tour were coughing and sneezing. Four days into the trip I got a sore throat, then began coughing and feeling weak. I purchased Tylenol and Beecham for the evening. I returned to the States on 3/11. I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with bronchitis. I was given amoxicillin 875 mg every 12 hours and a cough med with codeine. Three days later I visited my doctor who changed the antibiotic to doxycycline. I took off from work for one week. I still felt lousy the next week in work. Felt good the following week. This week cough is back! I got sick 3/7 and today is 3/30. Why am I coughing again!

Comment from: gumbo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I thought I was catching a cold about five weeks ago, but it turned into a very bad cough that got worse and worse, until I was coughing so much I knew it was not just a cold. I was diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis and put on a steroid treatment along with breathing treatments. When steroids were finished, I got worse, coughing until I was vomiting. The emergency room gave me more breathing treatments and another (different) steroid treatment and inhaler plan. I am slightly better as far as coughing goes, but my chest still sputters and crackles when I breath and I cannot lie down to sleep. I am weaning off the steroid treatment again and still using inhalers.

Comment from: Kev, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

My bronchitis started out from a slight buildup in my chest. I had loaded my boat in the cold weather and did not dress very warm. The next day was a slight build up. The second day I started coughing. By the 3rd day I was coughing up big globs of yellow phlegm. I thought it was a chest cold. I started taking Mucinex and Advil, which helped a little, but I could not sleep. Finally I went to the doctor, and he gave me antibiotics and an inhaler and benzonatate. I started sleeping but still wheezing and coughing on the 8th day.

Comment from: cougher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I woke with a dry cough and coughed for 48 hours. By the weekend, I could not cough because I was so sore. I went to urgent care. My chest X-rays revealed a shadow and I was prescribed antibiotics. I took the medicine for a week and started to feel better. I am now ending my second week. I still cough a little and have not regained all my strength. This bronchitis has drained me and will take a few weeks to recover.

Comment from: D., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

Woke up with swollen glands and felt like strep throat. I waited a few days to see if it got worse and it did. I was coughing to the extent of dry heaves. The cough hurt my throat severely. I finally ended up in the ER. They sent me home with antibiotics, an inhaler, and some pills to stop the coughing. I hear this can last up to 16 weeks. I dread the thought! It makes my heart and pulse rates jump just to walk round for a bit. Hopefully the meds will all work and I'll get over it sooner.

Comment from: Sambo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My first signs were a sore throat, laryngitis and a fever that progressed to a chronic paroxsymal cough with excessive green sputum. Much to my horror, my first doctor, an ENT, diagnosed me with acid reflux and prescribed me proton pump inhibitors. Two weeks later my regular doctor discovered my CRP was 7.9 and performed lung function tests. I also had an X-ray and the doctor prescribed antibiotics and inhalation therapy for acute bronchitis.

Comment from: Aliyahstars, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 14 years old and I've got a really bad cough, but no fever. It went on for a week or more and my parents just told me that it would go away. I threw up about four times a day and had pounding headaches. When I finally went to the doctor he said I had bronchitis and if I waited any longer I could have had an asthma attack. I'm now on an inhaler and antibiotics that I take every 6 hours.

Comment from: Lee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had bronchitis for seven days. My wheezing is so loud I am not able to sleep! I have to try to sleep in a recliner but still have trouble. I'm on an antibiotic and an inhaler, neither of which seem to be helping. I want to feel normal again.

Comment from: jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I was given a swab test into the nostrils for a flu test.

Comment from: Fairlassie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was coughing very badly and had a cold for a week. I finally went to the ER and was diagnosed after a chest X-ray. I was given a Z-pak and told to rest and take decongestants.

Comment from: the cougher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I have bronchitis now about three weeks. It all started with sinusitis, sore throat, chest congestion and then in my bronchial tubes. My sinuses are better but still draining, my sore throat is gone and chest congestion is better, but I still have this aggravating cough.

Comment from: Lolo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had been feeling sick for weeks, run down, body aches, fever and headache. I would think I was better and go to work but would suddenly feel bad again. Developed the cough in my chest and when I would start coughing would not be able to stop. Also cough was very painful and phlegmy. Finally, went to doctor today and was diagnosed with bronchitis and given antibiotics. I am trying to take it easy and hope the antibiotics help!

Comment from: xmoves8, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a cough for over 2 weeks and it didn't get better. No other symptoms. No headache. No temperature. Went to see my doctor and she diagnosed it as bronchitis. Put me on antibiotics and I am on the 8th day.

Comment from: carpetshark, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

It all started out with a slight cold that seemed to get better after a few days. Then severe coughing started. I was coughing all day long and it got worse at night. I finally sought medical help after 18 days of no improvement. I was diagnosed as bronchitis w/bronchospasm. Chest x-rays showed possible pneumonia, and with a history of mild asthma was put on the antibiotic. I had a marked improvement in two days.

Comment from: khusta, Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm a male, 36yrs old. I have never been this sick. I was diagnosed with bronchitis four days ago. My doctor prescribed antibiotics and on day four started to feel better. I now have normal a cough, though I'm still wheezing and I still have a runny nose.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I like that other people are commenting on this infection. I find the inhaler works. I also drink a lot of water. Doctors thought I had pneumonia when I went in three days ago. The doctor called me to check on me two days after giving me an antibiotic for it. I told her it was not any better and I was diagnosed with bronchitis. I feel a little better now.

Comment from: 1steve2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I went to the Dr. in December 2010 on the 16th. Having sinus and breathing problems, after arguing with the dr. about the use of antibiotics was given amoxicillin and cough syrup. It is now Feb.11 2011 and have been to urgent care 3 times and different treatments. Today had a severe bout with cough and actually feel better for the first time in weeks. I was not aggressive enough with my doctor. How depressing to be sick this long.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I started getting chills and wheezing. Saw the doctor two days ago. The doctor diagnosed bronchitis infection. I am feeling better and I am not wheezing, but I need plenty of rest and fluids. I am glad that I saw the doctor right away to get the proper treatment.

Comment from: onecrazygranny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have had this cough for over a year. I've been told allergies and been give numerous allergy meds to no avail. I cough so much I gag and throw up. I stay weak and tired. I recently went to the ER and was told it is bronchitis again. I wheeze and am miserable. What should I do? I have seen many doctors and am tired of not getting the proper help.

Comment from: lorri, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 22

The hospital said my husband had viral bronchitis and there was nothing they could do. That was a week ago. He had a stroke one year ago, a heart attack 16 years ago and now diabetes. I have had him on tussin DM cough medicine and Tylenol. He has developed chills, hacking cough, slight fever, bad headache.

Comment from: cherokee_kc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday - after days of suffering through the coughing-severe sore throat. I gave up my stubborness to go to the doctor I've been put on an antibiotic (Z-PAC) and Cheratussin. As of right now, I feel a little better than yesterday. Thing is - if you feel really bad for more than a few days - get to your doctor ASAP.

• Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Post View 57 Comments
  • Bronchitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your bronchitis?

Post View 21 Comments
  • Chronic Bronchitis - Experience

Please share your experience with chronic bronchitis.

Post View 3 Comments
  • Chronic Bronchitis - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective in treating your case of chronic bronchitis?

• Chronic Bronchitis - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been helpful in treating your symptoms of chronic bronchitis?

• Chronic Bronchitis - Causes

If known, what caused your chronic bronchitis?

COPD Foundation.

American Lung Association. Understanding Chronic Bronchitis.
<http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/bronchitis-chronic/understanding-chronic-bronchitis.html>