Bronchitis (Chronic)

How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: clara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) for about five years. I was on oxygen during the day but not at night. I could go about two hours without the oxygen, and then I would need it. I had a converter in the house and oxygen tanks for when I go shopping, etc. I am 64 years old and in relatively good health. The doctor said it was caused by a combination of smoking, dust here in Vegas, and 30 years of smog in California. I believed I will always need the oxygen to breathe. I quit smoking and I don’t need so much oxygen now.

Comment from: Pctrldy1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have had bronchitis since September of 2019. I still have the cough and shortness of breath. I have taken Augmentin and doxycycline, and have a Symbicort and Albuterol inhaler. I am still coughing up yellow mucus and I am a nonsmoker.

Comment from: MrsPj2U, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 05

I have been having bronchitis symptoms, lots of wheezing cough only. I went to the emergency room, and they treated me for bronchitis for 5 days with Z-Pak antibiotics and steroids, 7 days for cough with benzonatate, and sent me home. I was tested for COVID, and the test was negative. I felt better and 2 weeks later symptoms have come back. I am not sure what to do.

Comment from: Peter , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

Yes, two lots of steroids helped. My bronchitis lasted 2 months.

Comment from: Lyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

Most bronchitis is viral. Antibiotics will not get rid of it. Get good cough medicine to take at night especially so you can sleep. My symptoms last an average of two weeks (for the worst symptoms), and then a gradual elimination of the cough. I had it so bad last year that I broke a rib when I was coughing.

Comment from: Papu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I was given amoxicillin and Clamoxyl something for my bronchitis. But still my rattling wheezing and congestion won’t go away. I’ve got green sputum.

Comment from: DOC816, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Here's a good one for you. I live in the COVID capital, Florida and my health is not the greatest but here's what's boggling my mind. I've had bronchitis and pneumonia and I know the symptoms of bronchitis. I went to the emergency room (ER) because my blood pressure was very high, I had it coming out of both ends simultaneously, and I went to the ER not thinking bronchitis. This bronchitis diagnosis stumped me because I'm not coughing my head off. Wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them!

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis 40 years ago, and I have an attack every 2 years. My last one in January 2020 was so severe my next-door (apartment) neighbor could hear my coughing at night. After 4 trips to the doctor, he finally prescribed prednisone and Symbicort, which slowly began clearing it up. After 3 days, it was almost gone. Gained 10 pounds (I think).

Comment from: TW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I started with a cough late August, with wheezing and mucus. I went to the doctor multiple times and was told it was allergies, and given Singulair and Allegra. Six months later, walk-in clinic treats me for bronchitis and in 1 day cough and mucus were almost gone. I was given antibiotic, prednisone, and codeine syrup. Only 4 days’ worth but I am hoping it does not come back. I don’t smoke so I don’t know how this even happens. Miserable!

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I started on amoxicillin and been on it for 5 days now. I’m no longer coughing up phlegm and seem on my way to full recovery. With 5 pills left, I know I have to finish taking them, but my left ear is still clogged and I can't hear out of it! Wonder if I should be concerned.

Comment from: DJLysaD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I got sick with bronchitis the week before Thanksgiving. It started as a tickle in my throat, then turned into cold/flu 2 days after. I felt miserable rest of the week; coughing, feeling feverish, chills and diarrhea, and I couldn’t sleep because of the cough. No infection in my lungs. I week after, I felt worse and took Theraflu or Mucinex DM. I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with bronchitis and asthma. They gave me a shot of prednisone, prednisone pills, promethazine DM syrup, antibiotics and inhaler. It’s December 19 and I am still coughing, and keep getting sore throats. This is awful!

SLIDESHOW

COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: suzy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had prednisone for my bronchitis, but wonder if it starts to work only after 24 hours, because I’ve had zero relief. Coughed all night long again, no sleep at all.

Comment from: D.J, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I went to the emergency room for tightness of chest, and they said it was acute bronchitis. They said it’s viral so no antibiotics needed. But my case feels weird because the only symptoms I have is the tight chest and a lot of burping. I don’t have an appetite and have lost weight. Going online has pointed me in the direction of COPD which has me nervous. I have another appointment with the primary care doctor on Monday, hopefully she can tell me something!

Comment from: BarrEpsteinAttack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My bronchitis lasted 5 weeks. I took antibiotics and Mucinex DM, which relieved my symptoms in 1 1/2 weeks.

Comment from: Jeannie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I came down with the flu just after Christmas. After a few days I developed a cough that kept me awake and produced a thin mucus in a light yellow color, and wheezing, gurgling sounds at night. I spike a fever a few times during the day and night. I'm taking Tylenol and guaifenesin every 4 hours except at night. Ginger tea, chicken soup, breathing steam with eucalyptus oil, cool mist humidifier going all the time, and practicing pursed lip breathing help. I'm determined not to have this bronchitis go on and on!

Comment from: Darlene , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I can’t stop coughing and it is almost nonstop coughing because of bronchitis. I had lung cancer five years ago and the surgeon had to remove my whole left lung. I hope this cough leaves. I’ve been using my nebulizer with two different kind of medicines in it and my lung doctor put me on prednisone.

Comment from: italia19, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I have had several bouts of sinus and acute bronchitis this year. I do have young grandbabies and I think they keep giving me colds that always turn into this. I have great doctors and am on all the right medicines, except the only antibiotic that works for me is Levaquin. I am just so worn out even as I am getting better. So glad to hear this is normal. I love this forum for sharing.

Comment from: GardenGossip, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I have had bronchitis since October 26th and still have this cough and it’s December 17th! I am now feeling itchy when I cough again and I taste the infection again! This cough has literally caused my eyes to pop blood vessels, I feel my ribs cracking and my coughing fits are lasting almost 47 minutes! They put me on a Z-Pak fist and now a stronger antibiotic but she refuses to give me something for this awful cough and I’m crying every time I cough! I now have cough headaches.

Comment from: Kay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a cold at the beginning of October, which seemed to get better after about 2 weeks. Then after a weekend with friends, around second-hand smoke, I woke to wheezing on Monday morning. Four visits to Urgent Care, a round of antibiotics, prednisone, albuterol and now Flovent, I have 4 days of feeling pretty good before the coughing and chest congestion come back. I’m about to enter the 6 week mark of bronchitis, and based on the comments, hopefully the end!

Comment from: Alice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have had bronchitis for over 2 weeks. I finally went to the doctor 6 days ago. I'm on antibiotics and steroids. All I want to do is sleep; I mean, sleep all day long. I get up and eat and go back to bed for the night. I doubt this is normal.

Comment from: NoisyLungs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

August 29, 2019 I got a cold, and got better. September 9 I developed coughing, wheezing, trouble breathing, and phlegm. I was up all night with labored breathing, and diagnosed with viral bronchitis. Prescribed Symbicort 100 Turbuhaler and Teva-Salbutamol HFA inhaler. Both helped. By early October I felt much better though still had wheezing and noisy lungs. October 22, 2019 I had a sore throat. Next day full on head cold; ran its course, and I felt better. November 1 bronchitis again. I am still using previous inhalers so it hasn't been as bad. Antihistamines help.

QUESTION

COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the same as adult-onset asthma. See Answer
Comment from: David, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I have a severe cough from bronchitis and sometimes I cough so hard that I go into hyperventilation and it puts me to the point I want to shoot my head off. I went to the clinic last month and that place is a joke, didn’t even give me options. The only thing that helps my cough sometime is when I suck on a piece of Atomic Fireball candy.

Comment from: Bronchitis Sufferer , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had bronchitis twice now. The first time was November 24th, 2016 to February 24th, 2017. The second time was December 26th, 2018 to February 10th, 2019. The only thing I have found that helps is rest. Secondly I avoid major supermarkets and Walmart type places from October to March. I tend to get sick in the fall/winter time. Also ever since my two issues with bronchitis, I have a constant tickle/cough and clearing my throat, almost every few seconds. It has never gone away.

Comment from: Boopster22, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

There is no relief from bronchitis! I have been on steroids, cough medicine, and nothing is helping. I had 2 chest x-rays, and both came back good. Someone has to have an answer! I just about had it, it feels like I'm having another heart attack, that's how tight my chest is.

Comment from: Charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have been sick since September 1st. On September 4th I went to the minute clinic at CVS and was diagnosed with bronchitis. They gave me azithromycin, an inhaler, and Mucinex. I started feeling better almost immediately. When the medicine was gone, 5 days later my symptoms came back. I went to 2 more doctors and then the emergency room because I was having horrible coughing fits and couldn't breathe. Now I am on prednisone and Augmentin and it helps a lot. I am 3 weeks in to my sickness.

Comment from: Katie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I went to the emergency room last night. I have bronchitis. I've been sick almost two weeks. They did lab tests and chest x-rays. They gave me a breathing treatment that helped. Also gave me steroids, cough medicines and inhaler.

Comment from: Stars 47, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had sinus pressure for about month, and after it was gone I started to have a runny and coughing to the point where I threw up a few times. I went to the doctor after 4 days and they said I had bronchitis and an ear infection (had this happen in January and February). They gave me antibiotics, steroids and inhaler but in the middle of June I had sinus pressure again for only 2 weeks and then got bronchitis again. Now I'm starting to get sinus pressure again this month. Wondering if there is a pattern.

Comment from: Player, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I became severely sick on July 13, 2019. I went to a walk-in clinic and they treated me for bronchitis. The doctor prescribed prednisone, amoxicillin, Mucinex, and promethazine. A week later I was worse, felt near death. They put me on prednisone again, Levaquin, Mucinex and promethazine. Still no better. My family doctor ordered a chest x-ray, and a respiratory panel. Waiting on results. Still coughing my head off with a lot of thick ugly mucus. Wonder if the doctors know what this is.

Comment from: Tony, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

Funny thing is, I have been through x-rays, scans of my lungs, asthma tests and treatments, endoscopy, and even had a camera sent through my nose to look at my throat. Nevertheless, I have a throat/chest clearing/scratchy voice issue that has gone on for over 2 years now and no one can effectively treat it. I think it is bronchitis, but I've heard the standard comment; 'it is acid reflux,' but not one reflux medication has worked.

Comment from: Debmcf, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with tracheobronchitis and mucus plugs on March 1, 2019. I had no cough. Just felt like I could not breathe. It’s now July and I still feel the need to force up a white thick sputum. I am not sick, no cough, no COPD, but I feel like it blocks my breathing. Pulmonologist says it's not chronic and sort of shrugs it off. But it's been a while. X-rays and CT scans are good. It’s driving me nuts.

Comment from: Givemeu1 , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I know right when I’m getting bronchitis. My throat gets dry, scratchy and a bit sore, then I get hoarse. The mucus comes at night time and fills my lungs and it feels tight and hard to breath. The coughing only begins when the mucus loosens from taking an OTC like Mucinex. The other symptoms subside within a week but the cough lingers for a few weeks. The worst!

Comment from: Mama Nkanyezi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

My bronchitis lasted 6 weeks. Benylin 4Flu helped but I'm now suffering with the side effects.

Comment from: Sickandtired, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I got the flu in June 2019. My symptoms of bronchitis started with a slight tickle in my throat, by the next evening I had a 103 fever and my throat was on fire. I then developed a worsening cough, mostly dry. I notice that my cough starts to get worse in the evenings and is most productive with phlegm in the mornings. I have difficulty getting to sleep, because of the coughing fits. I have been taking OTC medicines but they don't really seem to help. It is day 9 for me, sounds like it could be a long road to be 100 percent.

Comment from: Mira, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I started with sore throat, then fever and cough. I went to the doctor, did x-rays, and no pneumonia, but doctors said it was bronchitis. I took amoxicillin and steroids and have no more fever or cough, but I am so tired I can’t do anything. I tried to go to the store today and felt so sick thought I was going to faint. It has been 2 weeks and I am tired. Also since all this I wake up all perspiring every night; I wonder if anyone else experienced night sweats.

Comment from: Bird, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I’m a 64 year old male nonsmoker with most of the bronchitis symptoms that many of you have. My disease seemed to start out in the lower part of my lungs and slowly moved up. I have been dealing with this for 2 years, at the time this began I was in excellent shape. My symptoms have been wheezing, coughing up yellow and white sputum, slight headache but the worst of all is dry coughing. The best formula I’ve been using is prednisone and azithromycin with inhalers, the problem is finding doctors to treat you.

Comment from: Kristy , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

This is week 4 of bronchitis. I thought I was getting better, but the shortness of breath and coughing won’t subside. After a Z-Pak, prednisone, now second Z-Pak (10 days) and Spiriva I’m still winded. They ruled out pneumonia with an x-ray. Now they’re checking for pertussis and mycoplasma/walking pneumonia. Someone tell me I’m not crazy! I wonder if anyone else felt this awful.

Comment from: Pow-wow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

With bronchitis I had tight chest, dry cough for a week, and then 3 1/2 weeks of productive cough; very chesty, echoing, and wet. The general physician (GP) said definitely bacterial and prescribed amoxcillin 7 days 500 mg. Helped not at all! I also snapped the intercostal tissue while coughing, and use a pillow when I cough. I went back to the GP after a week and was recommended honey and lemon drinks. What has helped is vitamin C 1000 mg every few hours, B complex every day, zinc to dry out sinuses, vitamin A 150000 IU for 3 days to dry out the chest, and rest.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I would do steam inhalation as often as you can to loosen the mucus in the lungs from bronchitis. A few drops of eucalyptus in the water helps too. I am on day 16 of having bronchitis and the steam inhalation is the best thing I have found to help. Cough syrup was useless.

Comment from: Duck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I first got sick in December and my bronchitis turned into pneumonia. It went away, and in January I got sick again, and they said it was bronchitis. So in February it happened again, but this time I went to the hospital it was bronchitis again. I had antibiotics, Z-Pak and prednisone, and I had breathing treatments 3 or 4 times. But it's March now and I still have the same cough, it is not real bad but it's still there.

Comment from: CantStopCoughin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I made two urgent care trips and a doctor trip for my bronchitis. I had this chronic cough (dry but still have mucus) for about two months, 1 urgent care said upper respiratory, 2nd said bronchitis and gave me a 10 day antibiotic that didn’t work. Then 2 months later I went to a doctor who gave me cough syrup with codeine, which didn’t work but helped me sleep a little though; I can only sleep for three hours without waking up coughing. I get worried because I am a breast cancer survivor, I do have a sore throat though too, so that is reassuring I guess.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have been coughing since the middle of August and feel so tired I find it difficult to function. I have been to urgent care and the emergency room twice. Second time they kept me for 3 days. I was diagnosed with pneumonia then told I did not have that. Then I was diagnosed with thyroid and then told that was not it. I have had several x-rays, antibiotics, numerous blood tests, CT scan, stress test, lung tests and am not getting any better. I am now taking cough medicine, cough drops, and allergy medicine for my bronchitis.

Comment from: abw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have had this wet cough with light yellow mucus for 6 weeks now. My bronchitis started out with a terrible uncontrollable cough that did something to my rib or chest bone and now I can control the cough but it is such a gross wet cough it is embarrassing! I am 41, nonsmoker and have never had a gross cough for this long. I was on Tessalon Perle, Z-Pak and prednisone and codeine cough syrup and then Augmentin and I still have this cough. I guess I should ask for a chest x-ray.

Comment from: billy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

My current bout with bronchitis is 1 month and it is the second time in 6 months. I had 3 courses of antibiotics and was on cortisone for 2 weeks, which has helped.

Comment from: Jim3857, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I've been sick since the first week of December. Perhaps asthma; COPD; chronic bronchitis; who knows! At first, I treated it like any other cold with OTC remedies. After three weeks I went to urgent care and they put me on antibiotics and prednisone. This unclogged my sinuses and made me feel a bit better, but coughing continued (and got worse) and I started wheezing/whistling upon exhalation, especially when lying down. After about six weeks I saw a pulmonary specialist, who put me on prednisone and Symbicort, and ordered a chest x-ray and a sinus CT. After about a week I felt a lot better. I stopped the Symbicort after about 2 weeks. I am a non-smoker. Sinus CT showed thick mucus and a deviated septum. I am still trying to get an appointment with an ENT for that. After going off the Symbicort, my symptoms slowly returned, so here I am now, 4 months later, still coughing and wheezing and having difficulty with breathing. I'm 61 and prior to this was in good health. The pulmonary doctor also had me take a breathing test a few weeks ago, which he said was normal. I'm frustrated that medicine is less of a science and more of an art and that I cannot get a definitive diagnosis. I'm picking up a prescription of Symbicort this afternoon and will be going on that again. I wonder if this is my life now. Perhaps I will be on Symbicort the rest of my life!

Comment from: Barb F, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Mid-January this year I started a cough with tickle in my throat. This continued unchanged until early February then cough with some mucus began worsening. The week prior to February 10, I had begun to cough hard and often, with increasing mucus. Cough continued, improving then worsening. I was taking a Tussin DM cough syrup and Mucinex cough or cold and flu. This kept the cough bearable during the day and with the pills every 12 hours and cough syrup every 4, I could sleep in 4 hour stints. It would get better then worsen. February 22 I had to fly 3 hours from Indiana to a ski resort in Colorado. The day of the flight the cough worsened tremendously and mucus increased, thickened and got greener. I tried hard not to cough on the flight and coughed into my wrap when I did. Some speculate the altitude change worsened it, I don't know. Our 3rd day there, I had chills and a fever of about 99.1. I was ready to go to a clinic but my daughter used the internet to diagnose bronchitis, I decided I could tough that out. Mucus was profuse, I had a lot of sinus mucus in addition. I tried to keep my distance from family members in the condominium and protect fellow passengers on the return fight. (Happily my family did not catch anything from me.) Back home on February 26, it seemed a little better. I was still using my OTC regimen. From Monday to Friday it worsened significantly until my cough was so bad and so much mucus I couldn't breathe at times. I'm not sure if the fever came and went or was steady but when I checked it's be under 100. Scared, I finally went to a clinic. I was diagnosed with bronchitis, not yet pneumonia, but close. I was given an antibiotic, albuterol inhaler and could have had prednisone but turned it down. I began improvement and the inhaler saved me from uncontrollable coughing spasms and extremely difficulty to breathe. It was horrible, it is hard to describe. The antibiotic began to work immediately and I was well on the road to mending soon. The cough lessened, the mucus has lessened significantly and grown almost milky with little yellow. But on March 26, close to 2 months since the initial cough and almost a month since bronchitis diagnosis, I am using the inhaler once or twice in 24 hours and no other medicine but still have a deep uncontrollable tickling cough. I have little energy and tire easily but since it has been such a long time I wonder if the bronchitis is making me tired or if I am just lazy using it as a cop out. I wish I knew what is going on and if I'm getting well or teetering on the verge of worsening again.

Comment from: Vergie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I went to the doctor and he said I did not have pneumonia. I had no temperature, but coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. He gave me antibiotics and cough syrup for my bronchitis, still not better, so called in a Z-Pak which did not help. I went to see the doctor again and he put me on Levaquin, prednisone shot and pills. I am somewhat better but am still having breathing problems and coughing. I now use a vaporizer to sleep at night. I have had this for 4 weeks and want to be better. The doctor is going to refer me to a lung specialist. I have never had any problems like this that has lasted this long.

Comment from: Caitlyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am reading all of these comments and feeling relieved that I am not alone. I am so sorry for people who have asthma and other things. For me, a person who has perfectly healthy lungs, bronchitis is awful! I have never, ever been sick this long in my life (I'm 31). Whenever I get a virus, within a week I'm better. But I have had this now a month and my doctor says it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to clear up. I started off with a sore throat on Halloween, and then the next day had laryngitis. Then a couple days after that the coughing started and it was just dry uncontrollable coughing that made my throat vibrate from the force. After feeling like I was dying, I went to see a doctor and they prescribed me Robitussin (cough syrup) 3 times daily and an antihistamine decongestant (I decided on Benadryl-D instead of Allegra because those pills were huge!) That seemed to lessen the force of the cough, but I still felt like coughing every minute! Despite all kinds of cough drops I was still coughing a lot and still am. They prescribed me codeine at night, but of course thankfully I only tried a small amount and had a slight allergic reaction, so I stopped. Weird but Codeine seemed to help one night but didn't the next before I had the reaction. Maybe it was a placebo because I'm so desperate to feel relief from this endless, horrific coughing. My doctor also prescribed me the Tessalon Perles. I tried it once and it seemed to help a little, but I'm wary about medicines because of reactions so I've decided to only try it at night or during really bad coughing fits. Because of my constant coughing I developed severe right rib pain. I went to the emergency room and they just said take Motrin, which helps when you're not coughing. Resting does seem to help the coughing surprisingly, but the last couple of days I still had trouble falling asleep. Hot showers help, putting a heating pad on my rib helps, and Robitussin and Benadryl-D seem to make the cough less severe. My mom said to try a shot of whiskey each night to kill any bacteria. It seemed to help one night, but those on codeine cannot mix alcohol, so don't! Besides, I guess this is viral. And my doctor refused to even let me try antibiotics because she's convinced despite not having done a mucus test that it is viral and therefore doesn't want me to become immune.

Comment from: Dobber, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Since June I have had either an ear infection, bronchitis, or sinus infections. Each time I have been taking an antibiotic and having an average of a week in between infections, sometimes not clearing up. I have been to an ENT. First he told me I had a growth that needed removing, and now says I don't, but I have the very same symptoms aside from the sore throat. My lymph nodes are still swollen. I cough from drainage all the time. I blow green to yellow to clear constantly. If I use the allergy spray he gave me, daily, my sinuses bleed.

Comment from: hh216, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

My bronchitis started out with a cold/flu. I had a headache, chills, fever, and severe sore throat. Then the coughing and fatigue started a few days later. I noticed green mucus in my cough and had some congestion. It's been 11 days and I saw the doctor yesterday. Because it is viral, no antibiotics were needed. She suggested Mucinex D and using a yeti pot. She said not to exercise until I'm better. I've also been using a humidifier, taking hot showers, cough drops, lemon and honey, vitamin C, drinking tons of water, and sleeping propped up. I'm doing everything possible to get better but it seems this will take a while. I work at a call center which has made things tricky. I had a coughing fit yesterday that wouldn't stop for 10 minutes, no matter what. Being sick is the worst.

Comment from: Ruby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

It has been 3 weeks since the start of the bronchial virus. I am breathing much better but am so weak, tired and out of breath I can't do anything. It started in my chest, no fever, no sinus involvement; just couldn't breathe. I spent a night in the hospital, and was given Levaquin, steroids, breathing treatments, etc. I can't believe how bad I feel, even though my breathing is better. I am wondering if something else is going on. I just feel awful.

Comment from: Nsearch212, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I got sick on February 13th with a really bad sore throat that lasted about 2 or 3 days, then I started running almost a 102 temperature. I also got extreme body aches and pain along with chills. I went to my doctor and she said I probably have the flu and put me on a 10 day course of Augmentin so I wouldn't develop a secondary infection. I took the medicine for 10 days and it did absolutely nothing to alleviate my symptoms. About 12 days later I had developed this terrible hacking cough and was only getting a little over an hour of sleep at night. I went back to the doctor and she put me on Levaquin. I could only take the Levaquin 2 days before the terrible side effects started so I had to stop taking it. I went back to the doctor on the 15th day and she put me on a Z-Pak. I took that and still feel terrible. I was told it is probably viral bronchitis and have to wait for it to run its course. I am now on day 25 and the last 2 nights I have been able to sleep through the night. The cough is still there and I still go into coughing fits in the morning and at night. Also if I talk too much and irritate my throat that will trigger a coughing fit. I haven't really found anything that works or relieves my cough. I have done the warm mist humidifier, Vicks VapoRub, and a ton of over the counter medicines. My doctor told me this virus is lasting anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks and it may just take that long to get out of my system. I really can't imagine going another month being this sick and tired.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My bronchitis started out with post-nasal drip and a cough and I felt tired and turned in early. The next day the cough got worse and I felt lousy, so I called in sick. I felt steadily worse for another day, then on day three the fever started, and I couldn't sleep for more than an hour or so at a time for a whole week. When I went to the doctor I was given a Z-Pak, albuterol inhaler (the only thing that did me any good), oral steroids, cough pearls which didn't do any good, and was told to take Mucinex. In all, the fever lasted six days. I coughed so much I hurt my back and ended up in the emergency room because my back went into such spasms I couldn't move without extreme pain. They shot me full of morphine and prescribed valium and naproxen. I missed two weeks of work and am still seeing the chiropractor. I'm halfway into my second week back at work and still get tired around 3:00 every day. All I want to do is get each day over with so I can go to bed.

Comment from: Bazily, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I sat next to someone coughing on the plane for three hours and 55 minutes; nonstop. I came down with a bad case of bronchitis four days later. I slept for the first three days and noticed a return of fever and saw my physician. He prescribed steroids, Ventolin, and OTC decongestant at evening time. From November 25 until today, December 19, I have improved but am still extremely fatigued by midafternoon. This is opposite to my usual energetic self. I am only wheezing minimally, but find the length of recovery excessive. I want to resume my normal exercise activities but my daily 2.3 mile walk takes a toll on me by midafternoon. I usually spin once a week and take a Zumba class once a week in addition to the walking, and I cannot hack it quite yet.

Comment from: Nonstopcougher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have been sick with bronchitis and a sinus infection for about 6 to 7 weeks now. I have been to the doctors twice and the emergency room. I have been put on three different antibiotics, prednisone, an albuterol inhaler, and I take OTC cold medications. I am still coughing a lot and have terrible coughing fits. I sound like someone with emphysema. I will cough until I throw up but the doctors don't really have any new treatments for me. They did a chest X-ray and I didn't have pneumonia. I am really tired of this.

Comment from: Saralola', 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have asthma and am on Symbicort and ProAir inhalers plus Singulair on a regular basis. I got a virus 14 days ago that set off asthma and then bronchitis. I started myself on prednisone and an expectorant on the fourth day when it got worse. Three days later my chest was ‘bubbling' with wheezing and I saw my primary physician. He added an antibiotic to be safe and told me to call back the next morning. The next day I could only blow 150 on my peak flow meter and called him. He put me in the hospital and I was there for five days under the care of a pulmonary specialist. I'm home but struggling to breathe and with extreme tiredness. I saw my regular pulmonary specialist yesterday as part of the follow-up. She noted I'm still very congested and that it's going to take a long recovery period. One doctor told me it takes three months to get over a lung problem like this, whether you're 25 or 75. This is disheartening but at least I know why it's so hard and so slow to improve. But it will.

Comment from: Granny Go-Go !, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Relieved to read of patients' prolonged recovery time from bronchitis, as my general physician seems to think I should be better after a week on a strong antibiotic (500 mg amoxicillin, 3 times daily). Although the bronchial cough is less 'thick', it is still almost continuous and I feel totally exhausted. Normally, I am a quite active, 83 year old, don't smoke, am not overweight but bronchitis has knocked me for six! I have not dressed for a week but am walking around the apartment and taking vitamin supplement etc. I am having to force myself to eat but trying to drink (lemon and honey mostly) often. Nights are the worst, when coughing fits leave me sleepless and worn out! Doctors keep saying cough medicine is worse than useless but I find Benylin with the diphenhydramine content is very effective. Beginning to feel I'll never get well again!

Comment from: Leigh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I made a short visit with a friend (who told me she had bronchitis and had just seen the doctor), and sure enough after 3 days it started. I had a burning sensation in my chest, a dry cough for 2 or 3 days, then started coughing more and more. I have no fever, been to the doctor, and chest sounds clear as a bell. Now, on my 11th day I am tired, still coughing, taking OTC medicine to control the cough (Mucinex night time) and everyone tells me to take massive doses of vitamin C. I am pleased to hear that the length of this is not unusual. I suspect I'll feel better in a week but this is rough! Thankfully, no fever, body aches or headache. But my chest feels like it's going to explode someday! Stay well, folks.

Comment from: whitemtnhiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am now dealing with bronchitis combined with an acute asthma episode. It is hard to sort out what symptoms are causing what, and I am grateful that my doctor erred on the side of caution and prescribed Zithromax and Advair. Advair provided relief instantly. The combination of Zithromax, Advair and albuterol as needed has been essential to my recovery. I also drink lots of water, as many hot drinks as I can stand and find that rest is absolutely essential. It has only been 24 hours since I started this course of treatment and I am now seeing a positive trend for the better. I concur with all those who say "don't wait" for treatment. I also disagree with the doctors who withhold antibiotic treatment since I think bronchitis, particularly for those with asthma or other respiratory ailment, requires aggressive treatment as fast as possible.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had bronchitis three times in my life, twice in the last two years. The last two bouts began right before Thanksgiving and lasted until New Year's (about six weeks). This seems consistent with what I have read. ("Acute" bronchitis can last up to six weeks ...) I got better as the weeks progressed, but it took me about six weeks to get fully "well." Things that I found helpful were: Mucinex, drinking a "healthy" amount (about two liters for me) of water, and an albuterol inhaler. I have been prescribed codeine and Tessalon Perles, but these have not worked for me. The Mucinex (which is OTC) seemed to thin the mucus and decrease the coughing. Drinking water also helped. It seemed to make my cough more wet/productive (which may not seem desirable), but it also seemed to decrease the frequency and extent of my coughing fits, especially those dry ones that just won't end! My doctor prescribed the albuterol inhaler (often used for asthma) when I went to see him about the bronchitis. It seemed to help me breathe and decrease my coughing somewhat. One final note: My brother swears by Celestial Seasonings Echinacea wellness tea with a spoonful of honey. I didn't find out about this until my last bout was almost over, so I can't really comment. But he says this helps him when he has respiratory infections.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: September 11

When I had bronchitis, I couldn't stop coughing and was unable to sleep more than two hours at a time, even with sleeping aids. I put hand towels in my dryer at moderately high heat and then wrapped a towel against my chest (over my top) and zipped up in my down vest. I wrapped another dryer-warm towel loosely around my neck and covered my ears with the warm cloth. The warmth felt wonderful but what was more important was that the coughing stopped almost immediately. I think the warmth helped my lungs to expand. The towel in the vest will stay warm for a long time; repeat as desired.

Comment from: Jon.Y, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Over the last month or so I have been to the doctor several times. Twice for normal check-ups and in between 2 or 3 more times. I've had bronchitis, ear infection and a sinus infection, I was at the doctor’s office two weeks ago today (3-16-20). I still feel weak and I have no energy. When I cough at times I get a little dizzy headed.

Comment from: Pennie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

My bronchitis is still going on, started before Thanksgiving, and now the cough won’t leave me alone. I have had two antibiotics. I still have cough and tiredness.

Comment from: Julie B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I too am glad to see I am not the only one with bronchitis! It’s been 5 weeks with yellow and green coming out of my nose and chest. Yuck! It’s been 3 days now on Augmentin. A tad better, but these colors that come out of my body! I would like to hear from someone who has beat this! I am not a smoker. Wishes and hugs for all.

Comment from: vikkr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had two bouts of bronchitis (so I was told) in 2014 and 2017, and then told sinusitis in April 2018. I was given antibiotics. I am still fatigued, coughing, weak, with loss of appetite and 50 other things after 17 months. I had a new primary care physician, she ordered a chest CT with dye, and it turned out to be lung cancer. Get tested as soon as possible.

Comment from: Dolly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I’m 82. I’ve had bronchitis for 5 weeks. I have been to a walk-in clinic, and my doctor too. I still can’t get it to go away, I don’t know to.

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had bronchitis and then it went away, but then I got it again. The doctor said I had bad allergies and bronchitis, and gave me medicines but I am still short of breath, enough to scare me. I stopped smoking after 30 years, just stopped. I wonder how long the symptoms of bronchitis stay.

Comment from: Pulmonary , 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 21

Mycobacterium avium is possible cause for non-resolving cough, fatigue. I was sick with bronchitis for 2 years till diagnosed.

Comment from: Bejan29, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 03

I took my 15 year old to the doctor. He does have asthma though it has been non-active, and no fever. The doctor says he has bronchitis. If he took his emergency inhaler, antibiotic, and DayQuil, doctor says, school is okay, but not football.

Comment from: Sick mama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed a week ago today with acute bronchitis; allergies aggravated this. I was treated with steroids, antibiotics, and inhaler. I have completed steroids, have 4 days of antibiotics left. I ran a temperature off and on the first 5 days. Coughing is slowing down, but I am so tired and sleepy (but I can’t go to sleep) I could almost cry. Tonight I started throwing up and have had diarrhea. I am a diabetic. When does this stuff go away!

Comment from: SuzyQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I got an acute case of bronchitis in September of 2017, 4 months ago. It eventually cleared up about 4 to 6 weeks later. But I still have congestion in my bronchial passages. It is particularly noticeable in the morning; I hear the 'crackle' when I inhale. I cough up mucus but only to my lower throat, where it gets swallowed. Doctor cannot find anything wrong. Bothersome!

Comment from: Barb94, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I do not smoke, have COPD, and rarely had colds. The last 2 times I had to take a sister to emergency room and then back to my home because of bronchitis, COPD and breathing and coughing problems. I contracted the virus both times and the coughing just lingers on with clear spit up. This time after 5 weeks I get a coughing spell if I exert myself in the least, even talking.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had bronchitis and a cough for about six weeks. After four trips to my doctor, more pills than I can count, plus an inhaler, I am still about 75 percent and still hoping someday I will be back to normal.

Comment from: Feeling crappy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Well, l was told l have acute bronchitis and like the rest of you all over the board with what to take and what to do. I am losing sleep and getting frustrated. I have antibiotics and inhaler Robitussin (but not working fast enough for me). This really takes the punch out of your daily routine. I hope we all feel better soon.

Comment from: Audone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have asthma with bronchitis. I went to the emergency room (ER). My doctor didn't do anything. Next day I went to urgent care. The physician’s assistant put me on prednisone for my asthma. I felt worse on Monday and went to the ER. The doctor said it was virtual and gave me nothing. He took x-rays and blood. I had low grade fever of 100.8. I was told to use my inhaler, finish prednisone and drink plenty of water, and was sent home. The coughing is awful with shortness of breath. Sleeping is a nightmare. Nobody will help; afraid they might catch it! I am not eating, takes too much energy to make food. Long nights of coughing and not sleeping. Just want it to stop!

Comment from: Debster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was diagnosed with bronchitis on March 2. I have been sick since Christmas 2014 off on until today. This hit me really hard this time and I was out of state away from home. I ended up in the emergency room where they gave me a steroid that I took for 6 days. It didn't do anything, so I started back on my inhalers that the doctors had given me before I left home. I have been using QVAR, albuterol, Robitussin DM nighttime relief at night in the hopes I could sleep. I'm not sleeping well. The fatigue is awful, I have never felt this tired before. I'm very anxious and I know that isn't helping my cause. We had to cut our trip short as I was not able to leave my RV for approximately 12 days. This is really getting me down.

Comment from: carrie_anng, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am having my first bout with Bronchitis; the cough started a week ago, then things just kept getting worse. Went to the doctor two days later and found out it was the flu and Bronchitis. Was prescribed an antibiotic and cough med. I was called back two days later because I was steadily getting worse, and was prescribed a different antibiotic. The morning after that, I was so sick I could barely move, so I had my husband take me to urgent care so we could make sure that I didn't have pneumonia. I didn't, but the bronchitis had gotten pretty severe. They prescribed a much, much stronger antibiotic, plus they gave me a shot of the antibiotic in the office to give a jump start. Also was given stronger cough medicine, and a steroid. That was yesterday, and so far, I feel a little bit better, just worn out and disappointed that I am missing so many things right at Christmas. I am hoping that it clears up soon... I haven't really found much in over the counter medications that have done anything or given any relief, and today, I have a very sore throat. Here's to hoping the medications work!

Comment from: Laurie T., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

It started as a dry cough and I was given cough medication with codeine. A week later it was worse. I couldn't sleep or stop coughing (no fever). I was out of town and went to urgent care. They told me the virus had turned into Bronchitis and gave me Zithromax "Z-pack", an inhaler and more cough medication. I woke up the next morning, coughed and my airway was completely blocked. This had never happened to me (I’m not a smoker and I don't have asthma). I was scared, so I called the front desk, but could not get a word out. They rushed to my room and called 911. Luckily I started breathing before the paramedics arrived. They told me I had a "mucus plug" and I'm on the correct medications. If this happens to anyone else, they advise to try and cough and start moving around to loosen this up (AFTER you call 911 because you could pass out). I'm on week 5 and feel 90% better.

Comment from: pear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have COPD and frequent bouts of bronchitis. My pulmonologist has directed an antibiotic course when symptoms start as it always goes into severe exacerbation. My doctor was out on medical leave at last bout so I saw an internist for a prescription for antibiotic, but was also told that they no longer treat bronchitis with antibiotics. I continued to get worse, much worse, so went to another Dr. who prescribed antibiotics and said I should not have waited so long to start them. I believe the new anti antibiotic policy can be a dangerous one for people with serious and/or pre existing disease and I urge anyone who has serious symptoms and breathing distress to continue to seek treatment. I know the new policy is the result of concern about antibiotic overuse, but there are times when it is really needed to prevent lung damage and pneumonia. Be your own advocate and persevere when you know you are in trouble with this illness. Even with the antibiotic course that was eventually prescribed. I am now in my fifth week of bronchitis. It does last a long time, but antibiotic treatment, when needed, can save you from pneumonia or other worse complications. Seek medical care before this happens.

Comment from: Lydia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am now into my second week of a bad bronchitis attack. Sleeping is very difficult, as the coughing keeps me up. The coughing also causes dizziness. My doctor did prescribe antibiotics. I also am now taking Robitussin. I also take Mucinex. I use Vicks VapoRub as it is soothing and will take the suggestion of inhaling the vapor. My doctor tells me I am not contagious.

Comment from: Cynthia c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

No, nothing helped my bronchitis. Nothing.

Comment from: mc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I went to urgent care first. After coughing for two days, I went see my family doctor who said I did not have bronchitis. He said my lungs were clear. Wonder what kind of problems Albuterol could cause.

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

If you have bronchitis because you have been cleared of pneumonia after a chest x-ray, then antibiotics are worthless! It's a virus. Many of these comments show people who have been prescribed these drugs by their doctors for a virus. Antibiotics are useless for this virus. I too have been struggling after 7 weeks with chest congestion and its effects, when I am a fitness buff.

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I only had coughing and congestion. I have just taken the last dose of the prednisone but although the cough isn't severe it never went away. I don't think I have bronchitis, I am not sure what's going on but I don't think it is bronchitis.

Comment from: Musa, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I have a brother who is 29 years and he has been having a cough since child hood up till now but we don’t know what is actually causing it. At times he becomes very sick to the extent that he starts coughing blood. I wonder if it is bronchitis.

Comment from: Shllykp , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Inhaler helps with the bronchitis.

Comment from: Junk queen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have been to the doctor two times with this recent bronchitis and had x-ray. I have no energy and feel very weak. At night I wake up sweating and I do not have a flavor. I am really wiped out and I live in Arizona so weather is not to blame.

Comment from: Duane, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

This is my 5th week with acute bronchitis. I thought it was going away, had a great night's rest last night and feel worse again today. I swear that I feel half dead. I've been to two doctors, have missed too much work, although I am in the process of filing for leave of absence (LOA) and have reached the point where I am just angry. I haven't been this sick since the flu in 1992; I swear. I am calling out from work again tonight, add the day to my LOA application and go home and sleep. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment from: Dkw41127, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

Yes, that is right, if you have respiratory infection going on get on the antibiotics or you will wind up like me, sitting here with nebulizers breathing them in, since the bacteria has gotten under the bronchus layer!

Comment from: merritt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I got a cold with an awful sore throat, headache, and horrible congestion. Within about five days, I felt like the cold was better. Then I started having issues talking, and developed a dry, unproductive cough. The cough would not be controlled by over-the-counter meds or cough drops, so after suffering coughing fits so strong they were making me throw up, and I wasn't sleeping, I went to the doctor. They prescribed me an inhaler, Z-pack and a course of antibiotics. The feeling was that my bronchitis was not viral as it was a follow on to the cold. As others have mentioned the inhaler was the best thing. I got immediate relief. With the Z-pack and inhaler I was able to get about four hours cough free so I could sleep. I've been sick for a total of 18 days now, including the cold.

Comment from: markussteele, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I had a sinusitis and bronchitis and it's week four. I was treated with antibiotics and cough pills and an inhaler.

Comment from: LisaD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was diagnosed with bronchitis. It started with cold and cough symptoms for a week. A week later, I had cough and mild wheezing. I am just starting to feel better now after three and a half weeks.

Comment from: linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have had bronchitis since i was 10. I would cough so badly I would throw up. I would have to take an outstanding prescription for cough med with codeine. As I got older it went away. Now it’s back. I have had the cough for more than a year now.

Comment from: cris fix, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My symptoms have lasted for three weeks. I cough constantly with little secretions. My doctor gave me prescriptions, which proved to be ineffective. It has been three weeks of utter hell with tea, honey, lemon, etc. but it just seems to take its course. I have had this for the past 20 winters and do wish someone would come up with a solution.

Comment from: crusader11, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I was extremely sick for weeks thinking it was a severe sinus infection. Fever at 102, light headed, very tired, and actually thought I was dying. I had excessive cough with a lot of mucus (yellow, green, brown, and then blood). I waited at least 2 weeks to seek treatment. At my doctor’s office, they said it was walking pneumonia. The more I thought about it I probably had actual pneumonia. I should of sought care sooner. It has been 11 weeks and just starting to feel better.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had Bronchitis for nine weeks so far and it doesn't seem to be getting much better. I have had 2 courses of antibiotics and have been given an inhaler. The cough is sudden and quite violent and I sometimes feel quite. I have seen three different doctors and only the last one said it was bronchitis. The first one said if I had left it just a couple of days longer I would have been in serious trouble.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I started with a cold. After 2 weeks I saw my doctor who prescribed antibiotics and inhalers, which only gave me a little relief. A week later, I went back to the doctor. My lungs were cracking all over, I was short of breath. I had a terrible cough, and I was generally unwell. The doctor gave me another antibiotic and more medications. This time, I got rapid relief. After a 10-day treatment, I am almost completely well. I’m still using inhalers and cough medicine, though. Now, three weeks after that whole ordeal, it’s back. I hope this clears soon. I am exhausted.

Comment from: rolashan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have been diagnosed with bronchitis. So far, it has been three weeks and I am still coughing. This is misery.

Comment from: Shezz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have had bronchitis for about 10 days now. Coughing was really my only symptom; especially when it was keeping me awake all night. The coughing got that bad that it actually made me throw up at one stage. But I saw a proper doctor about 4 days ago and she prescribed me cough syrup as well as a turbuhaler. Whatever all these things are, they are working brilliantly. I can now get through the night with a good night’s sleep. The coughing is still there and feeling a bit weaker today, but I’m feeling a lot better than at the beginning of the week!

Comment from: sikling, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I started out with H1N1 and now have had acute bronchitis for 12 weeks. I have been on two corses of levequin, I have taken breathing treatments, albuterol inhaler, coedine cough syryp. Now all I do is go to work then go home to sleep, I am so weak and tired I just want to get better.

Comment from: Pril78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Currently I have had symptoms for ten days. I am still not well. But the one thing that cured the coughing all through the night leaving me worn out was Tussionex. It was the 3rd or 4th item I tried it and it does help with night coughs.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW