Bronchitis (Chronic)

What symptoms did you experience with your bronchitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I know the exact date I got sick with bronchitis because I rarely get sick. It was 4-13-18. Our son caught a terrible 'cold' and was coughing severely for 3 weeks. He coughed so hard he would throw up. After one particularly bad coughing fit, I took him to the emergency room (ER) where they diagnosed him with a double ear infection and post nasal drip. He was given antibiotics, and was coughing less at the 3 week mark. By six weeks, he cleared completely. Unfortunately, I caught whatever he had. So on 4-13, I started coughing myself. No headaches or sore throat. Just a slightly productive cough. At the 3 day mark, I contacted a doctor and was given Tessalon Perles and cough syrup, but they didn't help much. The main thing was whenever I would attempt to lie down, I would cough worse, so the bottom line was, it was impossible for me to sleep, even with loading up on Tessalon Perles and syrup. By the 7th day, things were getting worse and not better, so I went to urgent care. My oxygen was low, but that's mostly because I was breathing shallow to avoid coughing. She said my lungs sounded clear, but agreed to give me a course of amoxicillin. The antibiotics didn't really seem to do anything. She also gave me albuterol, which seemed to help somewhat. Also, during this time, I was taking a variety of herbal treatments including oregano, basil, garlic and ginger. The garlic and ginger seemed to help the most. The doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis. She wanted to give me a chest x-ray but I declined because I was private paying and knew I had an acute, not chronic condition. By week 4, I could finally lie down and go to sleep, but only if I stayed on my stomach. I also started wheezing during this time. Also, by this time, the phlegm production lessened, but I would still having occasional hard coughing periods trying to clear my lungs. By the end of the 5th week, I actually started feeling better, but did have one bad night where I was wheezing pretty bad and thought I might need to go to the ER. That night I took a Claritin, used a vaporizer, and took some albuterol puffs, and eventually it subsided. After that night, I finally turned the corner and my lungs cleared substantially and I finally could sleep in any position. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I caught a nasty form of viral bronchitis and in total, it took six weeks to recover. I'd say my immune system responded strongly to it causing a low graded fever, lots of mucus, loss of appetite, and heavy coughing. By weeks 3 to 6, the symptoms only gradually improved, kind of like 2 steps forward, one step back. By week 6, it finally cleared. What I would say helped are garlic, ginger, Gaia bronchial wellness tea, Tessalon Perles, Claritin, albuterol, lots of water, as much rest as possible, coughing into a towel, and vaporizer. What didn't help were cough syrup, antibiotics, basil, oregano, turmeric and elderberry. This was truly a terrible sickness. I actually lost 15 lb. and it made me re-appreciate being able to breathe. I don't wish this upon anyone.

Comment from: Madelain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I started with feeling generally unwell and a dry cough, managed to carry on working for a few days but had a hacking cough getting worse. I went to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics and an inhaler and said I have spastic bronchitis. Things went downhill from day one on the antibiotics and I developed headaches, chills and coughing up disgusting green and yellow sputum, mornings and evenings are the worst for the coughing. I wake at 4 or 5 am and cough until midday nonstop. I feel pretty lousy but it's only been a week so I'm hoping things will improve in the next few days. I have never had this before and it's the most horrible disease with all the sputum! Anyway, I am taking lots of fluids and rest. I have no energy to do anything.

Comment from: RN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was visiting friends who were all coughing. And coughing into their hands instead of their arm. When you cough into your hands you are spreading the germs to door knobs and anything else you touch. Sure enough I came down with acute bronchitis. Coughing so hard you feel like you've done a thousand abdominal crunches. I was put on prednisone and albuterol Inhaler. One thing I find that helps is a fan on at night. It covers up that annoying wheezing lung sound. Found it helpful in sleeping.

Comment from: ldiva1965, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

With bronchitis I started having body aches and felt tired. Then I developed a sore throat. I work as a customer service representative so when the coughing was nonstop I could not work. I was coughing and constantly bringing up yellow mucus. The body aches, headaches, low grade fever and exhaustion were horrible. Doctor prescribed me an antibiotic and cough medicine with codeine. It's been 7 days of feeling really bad but I seem to be improving slowly.

Comment from: tiff_texas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I started coughing a few days before Christmas and I thought it was the flu because everyone around me had it. Just when I was starting to feel better, I took a nose dive and felt so horrible! I can't breathe. I have shortness of breath and the coughing is nonstop. I ended up going to the ER because I couldn't breathe. I was prescribed an albuterol inhaler and a prednisone steroid for acute bronchitis which I just started on. I hope it starts working because I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest! Am I the only one?

Comment from: Patricia Boafo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My chest was heavy and I was coughing continuously with a sore throat and running nose for two weeks.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with bronchitis 2 days ago still coughing up flem, runny nose, tired only go from the bed to the lounge where i stay for most of the day. Treatment includes cefuroxime , cold and flu day/night tablets, ventolin to open up the airways and good old chicken soup ive had for the past 3 days, vitamins, garlic, vita C and horseradish tablets and plenty of fluids and rest. Hope I get better soon gota go back to work or hope to Monday, got 2 days to get better. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Dnsmlt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

It started as a sore throat with fever. I wound up with the flu which lasted for about five days. A friend dropped off homemade chicken soup which helped cut the fever. Amazing! The virus finally settled in my lungs. I took Mucinex for a few days. I stopped because my lungs were burning from coughing so much. My physician prescribes antibiotics. I am still coughing up a lot of phlegm and have fever off and on. Next step is Vicks 44 to suppress my cough as well as raw honey, lemon and tea...

Comment from: Cata, 25-34 (Caregiver) Published: December 03

The first symptom of bronchitis that I felt was an extremely body heat and waking up sweaty, chest tightness and extremely tired.

Comment from: Diana O., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

It started with a burning pain under my breast bone, mild headache and cough. I was diagnosed with pneumonia but the symptoms persisted. Ii went for an x-ray and that's when the doctor found out it was bronchitis.

Comment from: Josh B., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I would cough so hard, I would have chronic headaches, and my chest hurt horribly bad. I finally went to the doctor and you guessed it, bronchitis and a sinus infection.

Comment from: PAMELA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

My bronchitis started out with a low-grade fever, ache and dry cough. I was given antibiotics. My symptoms worsened and I ended up in the emergency room short of breath. I was in the hospital for five days and I could not stop coughing. I've now been home for two weeks and I'm still coughing. It has been a month now.

Comment from: Judybear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I started coughing two weeks ago. I used a prescription cough medicine and then the doctor diagnosed with me with a bronchial infection. The gurgling stopped and felt much better after five days of antibiotic and cough syrup with codeine.

Comment from: julia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had a cough, mild fever, and fatigue. It started with a sore throat. I went to the doctor after a couple of days and was diagnosed with bronchitis. I was prescribed albuterol and Zithromax. I'm still coughing, still very fatigued, have diarrhea, and just want to stay in bed.

Comment from: Larry, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I get colds frequently and too often they turn into dreaded bronchitis. Usually starts as an upper respiratory problem sinus or nasal, throat problem then into my lungs and strange as it may seems it usually hits my right lung first. I get congested in the head and then the lungs. Usually it is guaranteed that I will wind up with antibiotics in the end because of the infection I can't get rid of.

Comment from: kwhite2042, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I had a low-grade fever (99 degrees), headache, and a cough that kept me up at all hours of the night. This started out as a cold which got progressively worse. I coughed so much my chest hurt.

Comment from: Paluki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I began with a sore throat, then extreme blocked nose, painful sinus and painful teeth, a persistent cough, wheezing and temperature. The coughing was so prevalent and violent that I had to hold my chest tight in my arms to cough. After 24 hours of antibiotic I felt better although it is now five days and I am still coughing up phlegm and dealing with nasal discharge.

Comment from: wise8806, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm 23 and was diagnosed with bronchitis 5 days ago and I was put on Prednisone and Zithromax and was told to take Mucinex. I just finished my antibiotic and I'm about to be finished with my steroid. My chest hurts constantly and I feel like I'm.

Comment from: 43830, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 20

My son was just diagnosed. He is five and the symptoms came on overnight and were very similar to an asthma attack that would not go away.

Comment from: Diane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Very sore throat, swollen glands, tiredness and very sore chest as if I had been running in very cold weather, together with pain and tightness in the breastbone.

I think I've run the whole gamut of symptoms: difficulty taking a deep breath, slight fever, headache, persistent cough, extreme fatigue. It all started with a sinus infection and head cold over a month ago. I've been feeling much better after going to the doctor last week.

• Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Post View 56 Comments
  • Bronchitis - Diagnosis

How was your bronchitis diagnosed?

Post View 22 Comments
  • Chronic Bronchitis - Experience

Please share your experience with chronic bronchitis.

Post View 3 Comments
  • Chronic Bronchitis - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective in treating your case of chronic bronchitis?

• Chronic Bronchitis - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been helpful in treating your symptoms of chronic bronchitis?

• Chronic Bronchitis - Causes

If known, what caused your chronic bronchitis?

COPD Foundation.

American Lung Association. Understanding Chronic Bronchitis.
<http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/bronchitis-chronic/understanding-chronic-bronchitis.html>