Bronchoscopy

Please describe your experience with bronchoscopy, and the diagnosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: weezer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had a scan that showed a mass in my upper right lung, so I had a bronchoscopy and it revealed allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillus. I was on an antifungal medication for 30 days along with an antibiotic and prednisone. I continued with an antibiotic for another 60 days and finally I could breathe normally; it was an ordeal and I lost 8 lb. After the bronchoscopy you will cough and cough and have a sore throat and GERD like symptoms after eating a meal. This may last for 2-3 weeks and then you should be okay.

Comment from: Gus, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My brother had a bronchoscopy due to having pain on his left shoulder side. CT scan revealed two necrotic lung lesions, and another was scheduled in December but cancelled until January 18, 2018 due to most doctors involved not speaking with me. Perhaps they don't think we will understand the terms, or death perhaps requires no explanation as happened to my brother ten days after bronchoscopy. I admitted him cognitively impaired, with possible seizures, to emergency room. He was found with nine brain abscesses with gram negative bacteria as well as other anaerobes. Death followed after lingering for five days in a coma, with numerous MRIs following a second operation revealing smaller shrinkage, however finding a larger growth in the other region. Bacteria is invasive yes, but there was no conclusive finding as to the host, and he was never prescribed antibiotics. Shame, only a two week pain in June before the pulmonary doctor began bronchoscopy. Common sense would prevail to admit this patient in the hospital for large doses of antibiotic therapy. Common sense does not prevail!

Comment from: GS, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I recently went through bronchoscopy and to check what exactly the mass was, in the right lung. Before bronchoscopy when I sneezed or coughed I didn't have any pain, after bronchoscopy when I sneeze or cough my lungs and chest are paining. I am waiting for the result.

• Bronchoscopy: Procedure

Why did your doctor order a bronchoscopy? What were your symptoms of lung disease?

Post View 3 Comments

Medically reviewed by James E Gerace, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Pulmonary Disease

Cox, MB, et al. Asthma control during the year after bronchial thermoplasty. LaN Engl J Med 2007; 356:1327-1337

Ernst A, Anantham D. Review article; Bronchoscopic Lung Volume Reduction. Pulmonary Medicine. Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 610802.

FDA.gov Press Release. FDA approves lung valve to control some air leaks after surgery. Oct 24,2008.

Gillespie CT, Sterman DH, Cerfolio RJ, Nader D, Mulligan MS, Mularski RA, Musani AI, Kucharczuk JC, Gonzalez X, Springmeyer SC. Endobronchial valve treatment for prolonged air leaks of the lung: a case series. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011. 91:270–273