- What Is Retrograde Ejaculation?
- Causes of Retrograde Ejaculation
- Treatment for Retrograde Ejaculation
Most men with retrograde ejaculation will not need treatment. The answer as to whether retrograde ejaculation can be cured depends on its cause.
- If the retrograde ejaculation is caused by medication, then it can be reversed by switching drugs.
- Retrograde ejaculation caused by mild nerve or muscle damage in the bladder may be corrected with medication.
- If the retrograde ejaculation is caused by severe nerve damage, however, it may not be restored.
What Is Retrograde Ejaculation?
Retrograde ejaculation occurs when semen enters the bladder rather than being ejaculated through the urethra in the penis.
Normally, certain muscles of the bladder contract just before ejaculation to push semen out through the urethra. When the bladder muscles don’t function properly, semen may enter the bladder where it mixes with urine and is eliminated from the body during urination.
Retrograde ejaculation is not a harmful or painful condition, but it can affect fertility.
What Are Symptoms of Retrograde Ejaculation?
Symptoms of retrograde ejaculation include:
What Causes Retrograde Ejaculation?
Retrograde ejaculation is the result of dysfunctional bladder sphincter muscles. Factors that can cause this dysfunction include:
- Bladder or prostate surgery
- Radiation therapy to treat pelvic cancer
- Nerve damage caused by conditions such as:
- Certain medications that can cause the bladder sphincter muscle to relax
How Is Retrograde Ejaculation Diagnosed?
Retrograde ejaculation is diagnosed with a medical history, and a physical exam of the penis, testicles, and rectum.
Urinalysis to detect if semen is present in the urine is used to confirm the diagnosis.
What Is the Treatment for Retrograde Ejaculation?
Retrograde ejaculation is not harmful or painful, and treatment may not be needed if fertility is not a concern.
Treatment for retrograde ejaculation depends on the underlying cause and may include the following options in the table below.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors