Must Read Articles:
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)Parasomnias are sleep problems that significantly disrupt the lives of those who suffer them. Parasomnias include speech and movements during sleep, sleep walking, night terrors, sleep paralysis , and abnomalities in the natural stages of sleep, among other problems. These problems are diagnosed through polysomnography (sleep testing), and can be treated with a combination of medications, sleep hygiene depending on the particular disorder.
Ask How Serious Is Sleep ApneaI just did a sleep study and my doctor determined I have sleep apnea. Despite the fact I don’t notice sleep problems and mostly feel rested in the morning, my husband insists I use a cumbersome CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine because of my snoring. But what if I just slept in a different room, and went without treatment? How serious is sleep apnea?
Obstructive and Central Sleep ApneaThere are two types of sleep apnea: obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as strokes, heart failure, medications, or physical structures in the throat and mouth. Treatment range from medical devices to surgery.
There are two types of sleep apnea:
- obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and
- central sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as strokes, heart failure, medications, or physical structures in the throat and mouth. Treatment range from medical devices to surgery.
Expert Views and News
- Cannabis for Sleep: Benefit or Disruption?
- Better Sleep Linked to Reduced CVD, Stroke Risk
- Sleeping Pill Use Linked to Increased Dementia
- Sleep Apnea: Treatment May Help Keep BP Low
- Sleep Apnea Linked to Depression
- Treating Sleep Apnea in Kids Improves Behavior, Quality of Life
- Sleep Apnea Linked to Silent Strokes
- Sleep Apnea, Daytime Sleepiness: Risky Combo
- CPAP Restores Brain Tissue in Sleep Apnea Patients
- Sleep Apnea Increases Stroke Risk
- Sleep Apnea May Complicate Diabetes Care
- Weight Loss Helps Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Apnea May Spur Erectile Dysfunction
Can You Cure Yourself of Sleep Apnea? Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes: