Doctor's Notes on Yeast Infection (Candidiasis) Signs, Causes, Treatment Creams and Medicine, and Cure in Men, Women, Children and Babies
- Oral candidiasis (also termed thrush) – thick white lacy patches on top of a red base almost anywhere inside the mouth and the tongue may look red without the white coating,
- candidiasis on the skin – mainly occurs in warm and moist areas such as diaper area and/or skinfolds as a red flat reddish area with sharp scalloped edges; the areas may be itchy and/or painful,
- candidiasis associated with people that have weakened immune systems – oral candidiasis that may extend into the upper gastrointestinal tract and may produce ulcers, difficult to swallow foods and liquids, nausea, vomiting and chest pain,
- blood-borne candidiasis – possible fever, mental status changes,
- genital candidiasis – in women, a thick white discharge resembling with itching and irritation of the vagina and surrounding tissue; burning with urination and/or discomfort and pain with sexual intercourse – in men, symptoms include itching and burning of the penis and a reddish rash on the skin of the penis,
The cause of candidiasis is usually a yeast infection by Candida albicans. These yeast commonly are found on the skin and mucosal surfaces of healthy individuals. Yeast cause infections when local conditions (cracks in skin, skin is kept included and/or wet or damp, individuals have poor or depressed immune response) encourage rapid yeast growth.
Ringworm : Test your Medical IQ QuizQuestion
Ringworm is caused by a fungus.See Answer
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.