Viewer Comments: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms

What were your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms?

Comment from: Hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was told I have carpal tunnel syndrome after having an EMG. The problem is my pain is in both arms in the upper part of my arm between the elbow and shoulder. One doctor states I have a problem in my shoulder, the other states it's in my wrists. I wonder how carpal tunnel can be creating problem in my muscles in my upper arms. Hard to do things in a motion back and forth, without it hurting; vacuum, etc. By the way 27 years ago I had a fusion done in my neck C5 through C7, perhaps this has something to do with it.

Comment from: BH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I am now 32 years old. When I was 25 the carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) in my right hand was so bad I had pains all the way up to my shoulder, and I lost feeling in my thumb, pointer, middle and half the ring finger. It also felt as if I had I ring around my middle finger. I had the release done at 25 and they found a cyst in the tunnel and removed it. So far it has been fine until about a month ago. I also have CTS in my left and had a shot of cortisone back when I was 25, but recently I have started to have the same symptoms in my left hand as I did in my right. I think overworking my right hand to take it easy on my left is making my right hand sore. I had 2 shots of cortisone in my left wrist within the last 2.5 months. I do not want the surgery but maybe it's just a cyst, who knows. CTS is a horrible thing.

Comment from: rosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

Well, I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for about 25 years. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it. But the last couple of months it has been real bad, my left wrist is in a lot of pain that I can't even move my hand very well. So I am having the surgery on the 22nd of June next week. I will let you know if it helps. Please wish that I have a good turnout.

Comment from: Alex Shea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Many years ago I was working long hours doing massage in a large resort when my hands started becoming increasingly numb from carpal tunnel syndrome. I was desperate for answers so I searched everywhere; books, magazines, the internet. There was a lot of misinformation but eventually I found a natural solution. Now I'm 66 years old and my hands feel better than they did when I was a teenager.

Comment from: Lily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

It started as numbness and tingling in fingers then developed to extreme pain from shoulder down to fingers along with numbness. The pain is excruciating when I am sleeping. I wake up constantly to try and shake the numbness and pain away. This all started when I was pregnant with my first child. Will consult an orthopedist soon and am I am very much considering having surgery.

Comment from: st8of10ec, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

With carpal tunnel I get numbness in my fingertips usually my middle and ring fingers but sometimes the index and thumb as well. I also get pain in my arm from my wrist up into my shoulder. It's not a dull pain, but it feels like my nerves were extremely irritated.

Comment from: connie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had a tingling of thumb and after car accident the next three fingers that follow went numb. My doctors said the accident caused the carpal tunnel to progress.

Must Read Articles Related to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>
Wrist Injury (Wrist Fracture)
Wrist Injury The wrist injury can be a sprain, strain, o...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

Tell us about your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.