Cauda Equina Syndrome

What were the symptoms of your Cauda Equina syndrome? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lynda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

My symptom of cauda equina syndrome is severe pain in my hip going over the buttocks down my leg. Plus pins and needles and numbness especially in my buttocks and feet. It is difficult to walk.

Comment from: Angel L, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

About 12 years ago after having an epidural I had a lower back pain. I went to physiotherapy but found it hard to stand. My lower back pain spread to my hips, knees and feet. After 30 seconds my feet felt like they were exploding! Then I couldn't sit, or walk or even urinate. After 2 months of cauda equina syndrome symptoms I finally got a referral to see a neurosurgeon who was able to help me. The surgery was a relief but I still had nerve damage and had a follow up surgery 2 years ago to treat some of the recurring symptoms.

Comment from: MaryMc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had severe lower left back pain and sciatica on my left side. I also had numbness in my left buttock cheek, outer thigh and foot. During an exam in Accident and Emergency I had abnormal left ankle reflex but no loss of bladder or bowel function from the cauda equina syndrome so was sent away with pain killers. Two weeks later I had an emergency MRI and was taken for surgery a day later. My neurologist was amazing 4 and a half years later I still have numbness and nerve pain on my left side but no pain… I'll take that!

Comment from: Millykin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Post microdiscectomy surgery for spinal stenosis I developed cauda equina syndrome. I have urinary retention, loss of sensation in saddle and loss of rectal control.

Comment from: Macuca15 , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I been experiencing bladder incontinence and numbness in saddle with cauda equina syndrome. I have weakness in my lower extreme, and my legs get very heavy, I feel like my body is going on shock.

Comment from: barbie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I was a lucky person but very close to be paralyzed with cauda equina syndrome. I had gotten hurt on my job in my spine. I was operated on twice, then I had severe pain in my groin, legs, buttocks, etc. I was not able to move. My doctor saved my life. I still have a great deal of pain and now again the fear of a relapse. What I can say to all those who have any spine pain, please do not wait, get help. This article was great. I believe that you have to search for the best doctors. I have my days like today, severe pain on the one side, and unable to move. I am now going to see my doctor again. I am on morphine for pain with patches, and that helps a bit. I am very tired of having to deal with this for years due to an injury on my job. My problem started 10 years ago. Wish you all well, please do not wait to see a doctor, good luck.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

With cauda equina syndrome I had loss of bladder control, severe back pain and my left leg went numb.

Comment from: Gwynjo17, Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had surgery for colon cancer on 24/5/14. I couldn't pass urine for 6 weeks as catheter was in for that period. When finally able to release a small amount of urine, then had to self-catheterize twice a day. I'm told this cauda equina syndrome is due to spinal anesthetic given during surgery. Urology tell me the normal function could return in time. I only catheterize once a day now, so hopefully things are slowly returning to the real me. At least I don't leak so I'm very thankful for that. Good luck to anyone that may have this experience, just be aware of spinal anesthetic during surgery. Opt out of it if possible!

Comment from: fredie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

It was great reading the stories of others with cauda equina syndrome (CES). The crazy thing about it is they the articles say this is a rare thing, yet many have it. In February of 2015 I came away from an accident that I should have not. Had I been 3 inches taller I wouldn't have. I got an L1 bust out of the deal. Two days after surgery I could walk but had no bowel or bladder control. It has been 11 months and they have yet to return. The loss of sexual feelings is a hard pill to swallow. I ended a 30 year marriage because of lack of sex. This CES far worse than that. It is sometimes a blessing to cheat death and an injury like this gives one the hard lessons which are sometimes needed. With CES one doesn't know their bowels have released until everyone else knows. Thank you for the great stories because as rare as they say this is, it sure seems like there is a lot of us in the same boat.

SLIDESHOW

Brain Food Pictures: What to Eat to Boost Focus See Slideshow
Comment from: ANCHAL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I am working on a ship. This problem occurred on board with 18 days to reach the next port. I was had severe pain, as there is not much medication on board. On my left leg, I had shooting pain at various places. I was unable to move or stand or sit and even. On the 17th day, I reached a port as well in hospital for treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am almost 54 years of age. A gunshot to the back caused my CES. It happened at age 28. I did not have surgery. The doctors said the damage is already done. Now I have bowel and bladder problems. I also have loss of feeling in my genital area. My lower left leg is smaller than my right leg and I have loss of feeling in my but area. However life goes on, so I make do with what I have been dealt.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW