Causes of Erectile Dysfunction (cont.)
What Are Surgical Causes of Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
Surgery in the pelvic area may injure the nerves and the arteries near the penis, resulting in ED. Also, surgical procedures on the brain and the spinal cord may cause erectile dysfunction. Those procedures often associated with ED include:
- Aortoiliac or aortofemoral bypass
- Abdominal perineal resection, low anterior resection
- Radical prostatectomy
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer as well as for other cancers, such as bladder cancer, colon cancer, or rectal cancer
- Brachytherapy (seed implants) for prostate cancer
- Cryosurgery of the prostate
- Cystectomy (removal of the urinary bladder)
What Are Traumatic Causes of Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
Trauma or injury to the penis and/or the pelvic blood vessels and nerves is another potential factor in the development of ED.
- Peyronie's disease is a condition associated with ED. Peyronie's disease is thought to result from minor repetitive trauma to the penis that leads to scarring of the tunica albuginea. It is often associated with a palpable scar in the penis, plaque. The scarring can cause the penis to curve in the direction of the scar, along with painful erections and erectile dysfunction. Some treatments for Peyronie's disease (excision of the plaque and placement of new tissue in its place, grafting) may cause ED also.
- Bicycle riding for long periods has also been implicated as a cause of ED. Some of the newer bicycle seats have been designed to soften pressure on the perineum (the soft area between the anus and the scrotum).
- Pelvic trauma (for example, pelvic fracture) can cause injuries to the nerves and blood vessels responsible for normal erectile function. Penile fracture can result in damage to the blood vessels and tunica albuginea affecting erectile function.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/11/2017
Must Read Articles Related to Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Diagnosing Erectile Dysfunction
Male sexual problems are often difficult to diagnose because many are reluctant to discuss them. Testing involves physical examination and lab testing to determ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Causes of Erectile Dysfunction: