Cervical Dysplasia

Please describe your experience with Cervical Dysplasia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kbear, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have been doing a lot of research on CIN1. I was 26 when my doctor told me I have cervical dysplasia (CIN1), January of 20017. I didn't think anything of it. But then she told me I have HPV high risk E6/E7 mRNA. One day I was looking through my medical records online and discovered I had CIN1 3 years ago July of 2014 and my doctor never told me. Now I am stressing over it because my periods are irregular and when I do have them they are strange. Also the year of 2014 I told my doctor I was having clots the size of 2 half dollars put together and she didn't say anything either. I get pelvic pain sometimes. She did a biopsy and I was positive for CIN1 and high risk HPV and ascus. I don't know what I should do, maybe I should get a new doctor.

Comment from: ds77, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 50-year-old female. I contracted a mild-to-moderate case of cervical dysplasia when I was 23 years old. I had laser surgery. I got married and had three children. When I turned 36, it came back severe with CIN2. I had a LEEP procedure. When I turned 43, I developed severe bleeding and was diagnosed with HPV with the deadliest cancer-causing strain. A uterine ablation was performed but ultimately failed. My gynecologist prescribed additional testing and found tumors and fibroids. My radical hysterectomy came at the age of 46. I strongly recommend being an advocate for your health and wellness. I lost a friend at the age of 31 to cervical cancer because she could not find a doctor that would take a radical move to cure her. After, she passed, her oncologist also died. Seek treatment and second opinions; it just might save your life. I know first-hand, and I am grateful that I did. I am doing quite well.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with high risk HPV about 4 years ago. After 2 1/2 years of repeat paps, colposcopies/biopsy and my CIN 1 turning into CIN 3/Carcinoma in situ I underwent a cold knife cone biopsy 8 months ago with clear margins. For the first time in 4 years I had a completely normal pap 3 months after the cone biopsy. Just last week I had my second follow pap and it came back abnormal w/CIN 1 again. This can lead to very frustrating feelings. I am now going to undergo yet another colposcopy/biopsy to see what the next step will be. All of this due to a tiny little virus called HPV. I think it is very important to have all of our young girls vaccinated with the new vaccine for high risk types of the HPV!

Comment from: betty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have visited the same Ob/Gyn every year since I was 20 for regular Pap smears with no abnormal test results, ever. When I started seeing a new doctor last year, she tested me for HPV virus and it came back positive for strain 18 (which is a high cancer indicator). It is possible I had the virus for up to 15 years without ever knowing or asking for a test. A colposcopy and biopsy indicated I had severe cervical dysplasia, and I was almost immediately rushed into a LEEP procedure which removed many layers of carcinoma. I wanted to tell my story to encourage everyone to make sure that you ask for the HPV test to be performed. Without this, I might have been riddled with cancer before anything was identified due to my normal Pap test results.

Comment from: ., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was diagnosed with HPV not even a year ago. I am a transplant patient, so I have a weak immune system. I had the freezing done. Had a Pap smear a couple months later and it came back with good results. I was told I don't need another one for six months. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia when I was 36 yrs. old. There were no symptoms, but it was discovered through routine ob/gyn visit. I also had the cone biopsy before being advised to have a hysterectomy, since I already had one child and had lost two babies with tubal pregnancies. This is very serious stuff -- my tubes burst, extreme and severe abdominal pain. I could have bled to death each time - but lived to tell the tale. I opted for the hysterectomy. I did not want cancerous cells growing in me. It was the best decision for me... plus NO MORE Menstruation.

Comment from: jblippman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I suffered from cervical dysplasia for nearly 10 years with recurring "flunked" pap tests. I was strongly encouraged by my gynecologist to undergo a hysterectomy to give me the best chance of resolving my problems permanently. I did my research and found that one of the best practitioners of laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomies was here in Cambridge, MA, near me. I had the procedure on January 19 of this year. By February 1, I was feeling perfectly normal. No pain and minimal scarring (two tiny red lines on my abdomen). It was a great experience all the way through. If you are not planning on having any more children, SERIOUSLY consider having this procedure.

Medically reviewed by Wayne Blocker, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology

REFERENCE:

US Preventive Services Task Force. Cervical Cancer Screening.