Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)

What was the treatment for your chalazion? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Carla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

After about 2 months my chalazion almost vanished after consistent apple cider vinegar on the eyelid (didn’t work initially). Then I neglected my eye and it came back bigger and worse! So keep up your routine even when it heals! I then noticed quicker results when I dilute it with a bit of water and do shots in my eye 3 times a day; not nice to do, stings a lot, but it helps, and now it’s almost gone. Hope this helps someone!

Comment from: Nicole , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I’ve had two surgeries done for a chalazion and it still doesn’t go away. It seems to get worse when I do warm compresses, I’m not sure what else I can do for it at this point. I’ve tried apple cider vinegar, garlic and salt water. You name it, I‘ve tried it.

Comment from: Desiree, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I first got a chalazion last August, which then was surgically removed in November. Now I can see another chalazion forming in the same eye as before. I don't want it to recur again. Will go to the doctor and hope this time it goes away on its own.

Comment from: ONE YEAR CHALAZION, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

U.S. doctors are wrong about chalazion requiring surgery after 1 to 3 months. NHS (UK's healthcare system) advises against surgery unless as a last option after 12 months (virtually all dissolve within 2 years). I nearly had 3 removed last year till I knew this. Two of mine faded after 4 months. The 3rd is still here 11 months later but is just now beginning to shrink. I've used hot washcloths (re-dip constantly, 20 minutes; 5 times or more a day is ideal) and apple cider vinegar. Surgery destroys the ducts. Time heals, believe it!

Comment from: Chalazion, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

About two years ago I developed a chalazion on the upper corner of my right eyelid. Initially I didn’t think much of it and assumed that it would disappear on its own. Two years later, my lump got larger. I tried all the home remedies and nothing worked, so I opted for surgery. I thought it would be painful but I was absolutely wrong. There was minimal discomfort and the one bothersome aspect of the surgery is the aftercare because I was too squeamish to look at my eye in its recovery process.

Comment from: HappyNow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a chalazion when I was a kid, I am now 34 years old. The last 4 to 5 years it got inflamed at least once a month and my eyes were red with excessive tears. I did nothing, I was extremely patient. It recently got huge, inflamed and very painful to touch and after a few days it suddenly burst. I can see a small hole in the center. I hope it never comes back. What a relief after so many years!

Comment from: MC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

My 1st symptoms of a dental abscess were the occasional minor toothache which a week later had gone to constant, extreme pain and swelling. Currently I am on the 5th day of antibiotics, looks like I'm carrying a golf ball in my jaw and not even prescription pain medicines stop the agony! Nothing does.

Comment from: Apple, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I have been getting chalazions for the past 4 years. It is awful but I tried everything and the only thing that has worked for me are the warm compresses. It takes a lot of patience because it won’t go away right away. The longest I’ve had one was for 9 months and I didn’t want to have surgery, so I kept doing the warm compresses and it eventually went away after 9 months. Be patient and practice good eyelid hygiene, and that is my recommendation.

Comment from: Kbee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I went through a period of time where I had chalazions. I took doxycycline, did the heat treatments (a hot boiled egg or spoon worked well). I had one surgically removed. I had terrible black eye after the surgery. My discovery was that I was taking biotin for better hair and skin. I stopped taking biotin and never had a chalazion again. If you're taking any supplement for hair, skin and nails that could be the cause. Extra B vitamins could possibly be the cause.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

Thanks to the person who posted about using castor oil for a chalazion. A week ago, I woke up with my 4th one. The 1st one was in 2014, upper right lid. It was awful and lasted weeks despite all efforts. The doctor prescribed antibiotic cream which made it worse. The 2nd was not as bad as the 1st one, on the left lower lid. The 3rd was mild and resolved quick. This time, the same spot as the 1st one, awful again. I tried hexane free pure castor oil and it is much better immediately! I am also taking lysine. Grateful!

SLIDESHOW

Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Symptoms, Causes, Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: Kaykid, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had repeated chalazions on one eye. I have had two surgeries (deadened it and basically lanced it), doxycycline and hot compresses, and they still return. Last time the doctor gave an injection of steroid in the eyelid. A white scar-like thing on the eyelid formed and all eyelashes along the white matter fell out. Doctor says white scar may go away but did not address if eyelashes will grow back. Wonder if anyone else had this happen.

Comment from: Q, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I experienced my first chalazion about 4 years ago on my lower eyelid. My eye was extremely swollen. Warm salt water rinse popped it overnight and it took about a couple of days for it to drain completely. I experienced my second one about 6 months ago. I believe it started as a stye but I was not consistent with treating it and it turned into a chalazion on my upper middle eyelid. It took 4 months of different home remedies for it to go away completely. I now have a second one going on 2 months.

Comment from: Jck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

My chalazion was drained and I was given antibiotics. Swelling is gone after 6 days. Now on the 8th day (after draining), I'm left with blurred vision in that eye.

Comment from: MoonShadows, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a chalazion for the last 5 years in my left eye. I was told by my primary physician that it was probably just a skin tag. Today, it swelled and I barely touched it to check why it was so swollen and it burst. Five years of having a ball in my eye that hurt to even touch and now it is gone! It was a small ball that almost looked like a seed with a potato sprout at one end (the stuff from inside) and it’s been in there for 5 whole years.

Comment from: Unconventional , 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 02

The only thing that has helped my daughter who has had reoccurring chalazia has been steam treatments. We bought a professional facial steamer and do treatments once daily. Two out of 3 doctors were opposed to this therapy but when we stopped steam treatments a chalazion developed within 2 weeks and after failed compresses it has been the only treatment to drain the blockage. Much better than surgery!

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I found the sooner I started treating the chalazion, the better - over time they harden and get stubborn. If I felt one coming (sore eye, redness, swelling, etc.), I start treating immediately. Hot, moist compress 3 plus times a day, 10 to 15 minutes a time. I make it as hot as I could stand it but not painful. Massage the area in between reapplying cloth and after. Drink apple cider vinegar diluted in water daily and apply neat to affected area of eyelid twice daily. Take flaxseed oil daily. Clean eyes with Blephasol morning and night.

Comment from: Andy101, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My chalazion started around 5 weeks back in the upper right eyelid. Now there is one in my lower eyelid also and one small one on the left eye. I have done just warm compresses so far, taking fish oil and lysine as supplements. I am avoiding sugar and dairy products. I am scheduled to meet the surgeon in two days. Let’s hope it doesn't come back visually not appealing. Thinking of getting dark tinted glasses for office.

Comment from: Leah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I’ve had chalazions for 6 months now. I have had 6 surgeries, and tried ointments, antibiotics, hot compresses, tea bags, everything. Three weeks ago, the doctor shot steroids into my eyelids. They came back. Not sure what to do now. It’s in the middle inside of my eye. Not eyelid.

Comment from: poor patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

Warm compresses didn’t work for my chalazion and antihistamine made my eyelid swelling worse. Next step was steroid injection but my doctor wanted to wait for another 2 weeks and continue with warm compresses. I used green tea bags as well to be put for 10 minutes. But it didn’t help much. It did take away the eyelid swelling but no effect on chalazion. Finally I tried castor oil before going to bed and kept it overnight. In one night chalazion reduced about 50 percent, then another 25 percent. It is hardly noticeable now.

Comment from: PGERRY3, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

The treatment for my chalazion was oral antibiotics (doxycycline 100 mg once daily for two months), with consistent warm compress applied throughout the day combined with morning, mid-day, and evening washing (very mild facial cleanser for sensitive skin). After doing this process, the chalazion and surrounding redness have all but disappeared. I believe with the warm compress and good hygiene for another week or two and it will be as good as new. Patience and persistence.

QUESTION

What causes dry eyes? See Answer
Comment from: Janice R, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

My chalazion lump was not that large but the whole eye area was red and swollen. The antibiotics made me sick but when I stopped them I could feel the swelling move down my face to my throat. The hot compresses did not work for me. So I started steaming and after 24 days this little grain of grit came out of my eye. My doctor said ok to steaming. Take a medium to large pot, add 1 to 2 inches of water, and throw in some chamomile tea or flowers. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Put a towel over your head (like a tent) and bend over the open pot of hot tea. Set your phone timer for 5 to 8 minutes. Keep your eyes open most of the time. Raise and lower head according to temperature of water. You are really steaming your face with tea. Deeper water in pot means it stays warm longer (also a hot shower and shampoo creates a lot of steam). Good luck!

Comment from: Carolyn W., Female (Patient) Published: September 15

Thank you all for this much-needed information! I'm dealing with my first chalazions, one large, one small; both under my right eyelid. They are indeed painful, though most articles say they aren't, and you're very susceptible if you have dry eyes. My doctor disagrees with surgery though, since it damages the glands needed for eye lubrication. I've had one cortisone shot so far; he says it will take three weeks to absorb. We'll see after that what's next. Good luck to all!

Comment from: Miacara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I developed a chalazion yesterday. And my wedding will be in 4 days. My doctor gave me antibiotics and an ophthalmic ointment. Hope my chalazion will heal before my wedding.

Comment from: JoshF, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I have 3 chalazia in my eyelids. I noticed those 3 months ago. I have not been diligent at all about warm compresses but spent 2 days being very diligent about it. Ophthalmologist said steroid injection was useless at this point. Once hardened, the only way to get rid of them is surgery. I am booked in the morning for this but do not feel right. I read surgery is a last resort for chalazion and complications and recurrence when I research online. I don't want unnecessary surgery!

Comment from: PollyAnn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have a chalazion on my upper eyelid for several months. It's not infected and is painless, but I feel it's unsightly. Hot compresses haven't helped, so now I need to decide whether to carry on trying to get rid of it myself somehow (different things seem to work for different people) or pay to have it removed privately. Can't decide.

Comment from: John , 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 14

I’ve had this chalazion for 1 month and forgot to treat it, wonder if it is too late. But it’s been almost a week and I’ve been doing the apple cider vinegar method for a week now.

Comment from: Happy!!!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have to write this chalazion miracle cure so that others will not suffer with this horrible, downright ugly dilemma. I got 2 chalazions in my right eye back in November due to dry air. The following remedies are a waste of time - warm compress, tea bag, apple cider vinegar and lysine. Here’s the cure; sovereign silver dropped onto the affected eye daily, morning and evening. In fact I used it in both eyes for 2 months. January to March 19, it is 95 percent gone! No more concealer to cover up that ugly mess.

Comment from: Marilyn, 65-74 (Patient) Published: August 24

I have been diagnosed with chalazia yesterday, and have been doing hot compresses. The swelling and redness have spread to my cheek. I didn't see any other listings about that.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I just had my 5th surgery for chalazions yesterday. One upper, and one lower. It is the first time my Dr. put me out. I have been awake 4 times. I believe my previous scar tissue is why I keep getting them. I do like the recommendation of exercising to help increase body temperature. Three years ago, I used warm compresses so often that it popped from the outside. Once it had a scab, I ripped it off and got it was gone. I tried that again, to no avail. Thanks for all of your recommendations.

Comment from: She isn't a MONSTER, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My fifteen year old daughter has MULTIPLE chalazions on her eyelids. They have been there for 18 months. She has done warm compresses and antibiotic eye ointment for the entire time. She has been on oral antibiotic for the past two months (1 month of Keflex and now Doxycycline). We have seen a little improvement and have a month of antibiotics left. We are praying she heals completely and that they NEVER come back. It is difficult for her at such a sensitive age group but believe it or not it is more difficult for me to hear her say she looks like a MONSTER.

Comment from: Summer, 65-74 Female Published: September 20

I have a chalazion on my top eyelid at the moment and am applying moist warm compresses twice a day along with an antibiotic. It has gone down in size considerably although I'm not certain it is going away completely and I am going away for a week. Before I began the compresses it was so large and it felt like something was in my eye but I am hopeful it will disappear. Eye makeup (liner) needs to be removed ladies each night to keep your eyelids free. Not sure if that was my problem but it certainly didn't help.

Comment from: R. J. Clapham, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 05

An alternative treatment for a chalazion other than undergoing surgery can be found in a book.

Comment from: mario, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed with chalazion today. It is on the left upper eyelid. The thing which worries me most is the fact that the vision on the left eye is diminished. It is as if myopia came back. The doctor said that the lump pushes the eye and this causes the abnormality of vision.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I first discovered having chalazion two weeks ago after having that lump on my upper eyelid for four months. The doctor highly doubts that it will go away even with warm washcloth on it twice a day. I am scheduled for surgery in three weeks. I am very nervous.

Comment from: medea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

My opthalmologist never used the term "chalazion," but it bothered me so that he peeked at it, then sent me home with ointment. A month later it was sore, huge, infected, and just painful. Yesterday he cut it out of me. It was the most painful event I've had thus far! He dug and dug and cut, snipped, and sliced his way down deep into my lower lid. Then he told his nurse to send if off to a pathologist to “check.” I get into this site after being able to deal with blinking not hurting and voila. I see that what I had – a chalazion. Here's the weird thing. I got it after getting a gift of eyeliners for my birthday in October. A few weeks after using this new makeup (I've been makeup free for decades), I started noticing a small lump right around the pore of my eyelash. I will NEVER wear eye liner again! -- Medea

Comment from: roger, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had several bouts of these lumps. On more than one occasion, I have had to have them surgically removed.

Comment from: Chalazion1, Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have had this condition on and off for about 2 years now. Sometimes they hurt but they usually go away on their own. I had no idea this is what it was until I saw this article. I'll try the hot compresses as I have two non-painful ones that have been ongoing for several days. Hopefully they will go away soon.

Comment from: Lookie, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had a chalazion that did not go away and I had to have doctors operate. The chalazion came back and the doctors did not wanted to operate. I tried and antibiotic for seven days and it did not work. Then instead of going to the ophthalmologist I went to a dermatologist and he gave me Cipro, which worked for me.

Comment from: kumar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

My chalazion was surgically removed from the eyelid. It took about 15 minutes. Local anesthesia was used. Some pain was felt due to the injection given for anesthesia. There is no guarantee that it will not occur again. I was prescribed eye drops to avoid infection during healing period.

Comment from: Bhelle, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

My daughter is just a three year old girl and she has this kind of lump oh her lower eyelid. I thought it just a simple sty but it was a chalazion. Her ophthalmologist recommends that she undergo surgery. I'm afraid that the surgery will leave deformities on her eye.

Comment from: krsand, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have had one chalazion surgically removed. Now I have a second one, but it is still small, so I only treat it with warm compresses.

Comment from: Missy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I have had two surgeries to remove chalazions. The first time I was 15 years old, and the second time I was in my late twenties. I am now 62 and never had any since. The surgery was a piece of cake. It was just freezing and removal. Basically painless.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I am in the process of having another chalazion surgically removed. This will be about the 10th time. I initially went the medication and compress route and they have never worked. The anticipation of surgery is worse than actual removal. The recovery time is minimal. Trust me, the discomfort of having them is far worse than the removal.

Comment from: HRC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had one removed last year. It was quick and painless. The worst part of the entire procedure was the shot to numb the area. It healed quickly and had no residual pain or problems.

Comment from: Sydney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed chalazion and the doctor prescribed antibiotics to take orally 3 times a day and a medicated eye drop. I am supposed to do this for one week. He also told me to compress the eyelid with a warm towel a few minutes and massage the eye lid a few times a day. I am to return to the doctor if the condition does not improve after one week.

Comment from: AD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have a chalazion on my lower eye lid. It doesn't hurt, not swollen, just red, hard, like a little pebble-type lump or cyst. It just appeared about 2 weeks ago and at first it didn't bother me, but as time goes on, it becomes very itchy and hard against my eye. Warm compresses didn't work, and I got the eye drops today from my doctor, but I am scheduling an appointment ASAP to get it lanced. It is extremely irritating and I constantly feel like something is in my eye. I hope I don't get any more of them. My bet is to just have it surgically removed.

Comment from: malinqi, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 02

1. Incision and curettage. 2. Antibiotics.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My chalazion was to be surgically removed, but when the doctor was numbing my eyelid the chalazion burst. The doctor then had to cut and clean out the area where the chalazion was. While doing this the doctor found two more on the same eyelid.

Comment from: dano, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

My ophthalmologist prescribed warm to hot moist packs on the eyelid 3 times/day until the swelling subsided, along with a mild topical antibiotic eye drops to be administered 4 times/day for a week.

Comment from: michel, 25-34 Published: July 19

One teaspoon of turmeric powder twice a day with plenty of water works for my chalazion. I also wash my face twice a day with gentle soap and warm water. Then gently massage my eye after I’m done washing my face. Not for very long, only 10 to 15 seconds and after two days of doing this the lump is almost invisible and the swellings gone.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

I have a two year old that the Dr. told me today he had a chalazion on his upper eyelid as well as pinkeye. They don’t actually sit still for a wash cloth on their eye. He has been good so far with the drops.

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 11

I have had mine for over 6 weeks now so went to doctors and he is referring me for surgery. I am trying the hot compresses in the meantime.

Comment from: Happy Now, 45-54 Female Published: September 08

I had a chalazion for over 8 months, and none of the remedies on the Internet were helpful. Then, I had a cold sore, and popped L-Lysine like crazy 2,000 MG about 4x a day and within a few days no more cold sore and NO MORE CHALAZION! Hope this really helps and wasn't just a coincidence!

Comment from: ourpeanuts2, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 27

My daughter has been getting chalazions since before she was 2 years old. At first our pediatrician thought it to be a sty, but in closer looking saw it wasn’t the bump on the eyelash line of the lid and sent us to an eye specialist and my daughter was diagnosed with a chalazion because she had had it for a period of time with no medicines nor warm compresses working, she went to surgery. We have been able to determine that my daughter gets excess oil and histamine built up and have had many recurring chalazions and only 2 surgeries in the last 6 years. Everyone likes to think these are sty's but I must constantly say it’s not a sty.

Comment from: Andy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

My doctor removed my chalazion in a simple operation using a local anesthetic. It took about 10 minutes to perform, just a little discomfort as a clamp holds your eyelid whilst the doctor uses both hands to do the work. Drops are used to keep your eye moist and I never saw what went on. I had an antibiotic gel put in and an eye patch to keep on for about 4 hours, after taking it off I used the gel 3 times a day until all was back to normal.

Comment from: Kannika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have also got some chalazion on my eyelid. I visited one doctor he gave me medicines and drops but months pass no changes occurred until now, now he is telling to do operation and remove it. I am very afraid I can’t do that.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW